• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Wii U Gameplay Ideas

Bert

OK so after the initial reaction I think a few people (myself included) are starting to get hyped about some of the potential new gameplay ideas that we could see on Wii U.

From other threads:

Herbspicesoy said:
Would it be possible to use the controller as a visor, like infra-red for FPS or paranormal activity scanner for a horror game, in such a way that you hold the screen of the controller over the area of your TV screen that you want to expose?

pakkit said:
Yeah, the overlay mode could really be neat.

TANK/SUBMARINE SIMULATOR WHERE ARE YOU

BigJonsson said:
Imagine Batman: Arkham City where the controller displays detective mode and the TV displays regular mode

:)

Me said:
Forget that, I want an FPS like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-eGgOpfT8

Qwomo - Talking about Aliens:Colonial Marine said:
Not how I expected to see it revealed/first gameplay, but oh god I'm so pumped for this game.

If the WiiU controller doesn't look like this

7LwwO.jpg

Also you've got the ideas Nintendo have floated: tablet only iPad like games, using it as a menu/inventory, etc. And IGN have suggested that it'll be great as a rear view mirror/dash for driving games.

So what ideas have you got GAF?

For now let's assume it's only one controller per console and please keep the bitching about the name/controller/whatever to another thread.

Woffls

I had some great ideas like 2 months ago when the screen idea first surfaced. I think there's a couple buried in the old old old Café thread.

Call of Duty - Four players using Classic Controller and playing online, they gain perks but can't use any of them. They also don't have a map or radar. One extra player is using the WU pad and manages their perks, like predator drones which they can drop onto the map by touching a location, and can also drop points of interest on the map and highlight enemies. It would encourage communication, and provide a much more tactical experience for all players.

Uhh, I'll think of some more later.

After seeing the bit in the trailer where they attached the Wii U controller to a new style Zapper the only thing that crossed my mind was SILENT SCOPE

I want to see a "DS Player" now. Would be awesome for Castlevania (if you can flip screens).

It looks like there will be an IR sensor or blaster on the tablet controller as well. It would be great as a TV remote with a TV guide.

Edit: Only one tablet per system, Metroid Killer...

Bert

orioto said:
That's the thread Nintendo is waiting for it seems

A fair point to be honest, but I certainly have a better idea now than I did before the reveal. The fact that the screen can be moved around opens up lots of possibilities, I wish they'd put an outward camera on for AR though...

Back on topic, I'd like to see a Trauma Center game where you move the controller over the "body" on screen then operate with the stylus. Perhaps diagnosing using the pad like the scanner thing in Star Trek.

Darryl

Banned
Guy with the tablet is dungeon master, creates a live dungeon on-the-go. Could possibly have presets or just a randomized dungeon layout that fits a certain criteria (making it so that all dungeons are solvable, despite the best efforts of the DM). Everyone else can play with classic controller/wiimote and attempts to survive/complete the dungeon.

DM can drop dragons, drones, bombs, spike-pits, collapsing ceilings. All of the generic dungeon-solving things, but it's created on the spot. They could choose the locations for weapon spawns, etc.

Zhengi

Trauma Center - enhance close up with the controller screen to see new ways of operating or maybe even have life signs displayed on the controller.

RPGs - No need to open the menu screen. Just select the options on your controller. Heck, clear the screen of the hub and have all the info displayed on the controller.

Do what Sega did with the Dreamcast and Skies of Arcadia. When not playing the main game on the TV, have a mini game or something going on with the controller. Hope the controller has memory space.

Bert

Captain AHat said:
After seeing the bit in the trailer where they attached the Wii U controller to a new style Zapper the only thing that crossed my mind was SILENT SCOPE

God yes! Thing is for these games if you don't use the TV you wouldn't even really need the wiimote, you just need the zapper and perhaps the nunchuck for movement.

On that note why haven't they brought Super Scope to Virtual Console?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
perfectnight said:
That would be the only game that would make me consider this console. Too bad it won't work because you can only use 1 of the controllers per console.

Crystal Chronicles: The Revenge of Bucket bitch

Disguises

perfectnight said:
That would be the only game that would make me consider this console. Too bad it won't work because you can only use 1 of the controllers per console.
Is this confirmed or are we just on speculation mode still? :).
Sorta wish we had more official facts about this console.

Bert

Zhengi said:
When not playing the main game on the TV, have a mini game or something going on with the controller. Hope the controller has memory space.

I doubt it will, as apparently it can't be used outside the room and therefore is just streaming whatever the Wii U sends it, so therefore it's not really needed.

Bert

Disguises said:
Is this confirmed or are we just on speculation mode still? :).
Sorta wish we had more official facts about this console.

Depends what you mean by confirmed, but you would imagine something would have been shown in the reveal trailer if it was possible. It's such an obvious draw if it's possible.

Satch

Banned
Metroid game: Third Person on the TV screen with First Person visor view on the controller screen. You can use head tracking on the remote to turn Samus' head only, which would be useful for scanning.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Finally a made-for version of this:
Pac-Man_Vs._Coverart.png

pacmanvsgba_111303_000_640w.jpg

pacmanvs_101603_x4_640w.jpg

Game was horribly underrated. Best party game that Miyamoto designed during the GCN era.

It was included in the DS version of Namco Museum, but that doesn't really count IMO.

seady

Splinter Cell / Metal Gear Solid

You can place spycam anywhere in the game world. Your character on screen move away from the spycam location, but the video (of the spycam) will still be projected onto your controller while playing.

IGN once again proves they have useless ideas. The thing I'm most likely holding in my lap or in front of my stomach as a rear view mirror? Useless.

knitoe

It will probably be used as a mini map, calling plays privately or something you normally press button to bring up, ie inventory. All the stuff about holding up to the TV screen and getting a different perspective seems very gimmicky.

Ellis Kim

Banned
seady said:

You can place spycam anywhere in the game world. Your character on screen move away from the spycam location, but the video (of the spycam) will still be projected onto your controller while playing.
I think they sort of did that in the Gamecube port for the first Splinter Cell.

seady said:

Being able to throw down a mini spybot that can wheel around the level undetected would be a neat idea. You see its view on the controller so you can keep your character's perspective on your TV.

Also scan mode in a Metroid Prime-like game being activated by just holding the controller up to the screen.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I would love a survival horror game where you use the controller to look into a different dimension and identify unseen threats that are effecting your dimension and world. A Resident Evil type with that kind of mechanic would be Awesome!

I think that it is cool you can move the controller and get a view of the environment past the TV, imagine having a monster you cant see but can hear him beside you, then you move the controller to the left and BAM! WTF OMG! lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
a wood inspector

there is wood on the tv screen and you look at the WiiU padthing to get a closer look to determine if it's really wood or not

IrishNinja

PBalfredo said:
Wii U seems tailor-made for Fatal Frame.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
An Eternal Darkness 2 that switches the video output back and forth between the controller at intense moments to fuck with you.

seady said:

this are all great ideas.

LiK

girl on TV and controller screen shows her without clothes. got this idea from a dude on twitter. love it.

ShinNL

I was waiting for this thread!

100% 1st person view
Making a game solely for use with the tablet and not the TV screen allows you to do a 1st person view game where you have to move around your screen to look around. Can bring new experiences to horror games.

Spellcasting
Drawing demonic symbols on the tablet to shoot spells. The height of the controller corresponds in the game (or rather, the tilt).

World altering
Could be many types of genres (puzzle, minecraft-ish, action), but you basically play a 3rd person character in a world. On your tablet you see the world in mostly a top view and you can alter the world by creating stuff / building blocks / shifting objects / adding elements like water / raising mountains etc. On the TV screen you'll see huge changes.

Trauma Center
Hold the tablet in portrait style, play with stylus. You play on the tablet, you take items from the assistant by actually looking at the assistant with the tablet. The TV screen shows the non-operation things like the heart monitor etc. So trying to mimic a real life perception, dual 1st person view. 1 static, 1 dynamic.

Multiplayer, single-story, turn-based JRPG
You control the general movement of the game, kinda like Fire Emblem. If there are extra players (with Wii remote), they can individually do the actual battle, JRPG FF style, split screen on TV. So it's a mix of turn-based position and real-time-ish battling.*

I'll probably come up with lots more as time passes by.

And here the not so original things and pretty obvious (but still awesome) things:
-Co-op play, different screens and areas.
-Rear-view in racing games.
-Dashboard in racing/mecha(nical) games.
-Pokédex/Pokéwatch.
-Top view + tilt controls for Monkey Ball.
-Playing TCG with a friend on the tablet, TV screen shows epic effects of the battles.

*If this idea gets stolen, please note that I've written it here. My own actual game has a similar concept, so no one can blame me for "stealing" anything :O Just so you know

Retro

I called a lot of this stuff 2 months ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27486639&postcount=6381

Retro said:
Since we're talking about it... here's a big list of stuff you can do with a personal screen;

Frees up screen real estate.

- Essential for clean split-screen play.
- Allows for more information to be conveyed to a player even in a split screen environment. Anyone play Starcraft 64 and try and sort out all that info?
- The secondary function of a gun you're carrying, explained in detail rather than a name or blurb. Imagine all of the info that can't be conveyed because it's too much text/images mid-game, but can be shown on the secondary screen. In theory, you could have a sort of 'mini manual' down there.​

More 'cinematic' games.

- Minimalist UI
- Off-screen subtitles
- Unobtrusive but 'necessary' updates

- Achivements Updates
- Friends logging in/out
- System messages​

Privacy during split-screen.

- What item you're holding in Mario Kart.
- What weapon you're carrying in a FPS.
- How close to empty your clip is in a FPS.
- Your radar in a FPS.
- How full your Super meter is in a fighting game (so your opponent can't predict when you're about to use it).
- What backup characters you've selected in a fighting game.
- What if there was a fighting game where you couldn't see how much life the other guy had? You'd have to judge based on their character's visible damage.
- What actions you've selected in a turn-based Strategy game.
- A private sniper scope. Even when you see someone zooming in with your peripheral vision, you know they're about to take a shot.
- Maybe there is a 'blind' mode where your part of the TV is blacked out, but you can still navigate via the controller.
- Dice rolls in an RPG.
- Plays in a Sports Game.
- Imagine stealing home when your opponent isn't looking because there isn't a UI element that constantly shows where every player is at.
- Hide and go seek.
- What cards you're holding in a card-based battle (Pokemon CCG anyone?)​

Player-specific Information (i.e. Crystal Chronicles)

- Everyone has a different piece of information that they need to monitor and inform the other players of.
- Class based RPGs or FPSers can offer unique 'perspectives', like having night vision as a spy, satellite view as a commander, being able to see cracks in walls as a Dwarf, etc.
- Personal track info in Guitar Hero/Rockband-type games.
- Character sheets in an RPG, so you can see all of your character's info at a glance any time.​

Motion Control + Screen = Augmented Reality

- Games that can display new things based on where you're pointing the controller.
- Games that change based on where you are in relation to other players.
- With an away-facing camera, a controller you can 'look through'.​

The touch screen can become a new set of buttons at any time.

- Capable of more buttons than any console controller ever (except that big honkin' PSO Gamecube keyboard).
- A decently sized, off-screen keyboard.
- Context-sensitive buttons, changing as your status or position in the game changes.
- Access to all inventory items / tools / weapons at all times.
- Could allow for MMO-style action bars; a traditional controller has a hard time making, say, 10-15 spells fit comfortably. Now imagine you can just touch a spell icon to cast it.

PSO2 has action bars... and has been announced for PC only... but maybe because Sega hasn't been given permission to reveal it's also hitting on the Wii2.... Ohh, please let this be so...​

- Fully Customizable Face Buttons. Imagine you can 'drag' new actions to the XYAB face buttons on the fly;​

uzuu.jpg

The touch screen can become a more precise method of controlling things.

- As close to a mouse as consoles could get without an actual mouse/trackball.
- Touch-and-drag unit selection in RTS games.
- RTS-style overhead controls for squad-based shooters.
- Make detailed battle plans in a tactical shooter ("Go here, then here, then take out that guy and I will meet you here")
- "Drawing-based controls".

- Draw a line between multiple enemies to aim a boomerang.
- Draw shapes on an overhead map to cast spells like walls of fire, areas of effect, etc.
- Smudge the screen for real-time terrain deforming.
- User-Generated Maps and stages can be built with precise controls.​

- Basically all of the touch screen features of DS games.​

Plus there's these images I did from the same thread (the controller design is somebody else's though); http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27234297&postcount=11573

Retro said:
Totally talking out my ass here, but maybe the "Main Feature" combines the Television Screen, Controller Screen and the Front-facing camera for an Augmented Reality-type experience.

SHAMELESSLY Borrowing Graphics Horse's awesome mockup

For example, you might be playing Luigi's Mansion 2 and lift your controller up so you're 'looking through' the screen at the TV and it shows ghosts coming out of your screen to attack you.

8WrPK.jpg

Or you hold up the screen and it switches to 'sniper mode' and your personal screen zooms while your regular TV stays the same (but responds appropriately to what you're pointing the system at).

jv2JC.jpg

Because the console is streaming to the controller, it can't put out so much power. HOWEVER, that doesn't matter because when you're doing this streaming, you're not really looking at the TV anyways. It might switch on and off quickly.

Perhaps another part of that is actually taking the controller away from the TV and still be streaming for continued play in other locations. Maybe the camera can act as a light sensor, or there's some image-recognition based gameplay (Wii Scavenger Hunt?).

dVoK7.jpg

Just a thought. Depending on how long Nintendo has been cooking this up, there could be a hundred different ways to use it. But a Screen PLUS Foward-facing camera, I think, is kind of hinting towards you pointing the controller at things.

Also?

TRlxT.jpg

Fuck Yeah.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
LiK said:
girl on TV and controller screen shows her without clothes. got this idea from a dude on twitter. love it.

What kinda game would you use that with other than Japan only games lol

Bert

Mr. B Natural said:
So, the only ideas so far are ideas that can be replaced by one button or a wii mote/mouse and keyboard.

Are you serious? Go watch the video I posted in the OP and tell me whether one button or a mouse would replicate that.

The M.O.B

A game like The Hidden.

Similar to the "Catch the Mii" minigame that they are showing on the U but a shooter. The hidden must pick off the opposing team using stealth and such, the other team has to stick together and kill the hidden.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
also, a first person shooter Ghostbusters game would be great with this tech. You could use the controller as a PKE meter and then could use the aiming functionality of the controller to simulate shooting directions with a proton pack (with a wii type plastic gun or by itself).
Sounds good in my mind at least.

Orayn

The M.O.B said:
A game like The Hidden.

Similar to the "Catch the Mii" minigame that they are showing on the U but a shooter. The hidden must pick off the opposing team using stealth and such, the other team has to stick together and kill the hidden.
That would be spectacular. I always loved how The Hidden played like "hide and go shoot/stab the other guy."

On the more tabletop-ish side of things, you could do a Magic: The Gathering game that would include the Archenemy game type, and have the "Boss" player keep their hand and other details on the tablet while everyone else did the hotseat thing with the main screen.

Top Bottom