• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Wii U Gameplay Ideas

Simplet

Any king of mix between RTS and action game. Where you control a general/hero/sniper/warrior on the TV and keep an eye on the battlefield with the controller's screen. You can give some orders from time to time using the stylus.

Shiloa

A Blade Runner game with the Wii pointer controls on TV, with the WiiU for investigating elements and for the Voight Kampff test (with motion scan tech).

Would blow my load.

Someone mentioned in a previous thread with the idea of Arkham City with detective mode permanently visible on the controller screen. I thought the idea was brilliant.

Photography Game: Imagine using the WiiU tablet to take pictures of objects or on screen. Think of it as an open-world photography game.

Al-ibn Kermit

Well looking at Forza and Little Big Planet, I can imagine using a touchscreen would make designing a level or a decal a lot easier. Also from Forza, I would have a nerdgasm if I could display the telemetry on the tablet while driving on the TV (you could also display it on the TV but you'll probably crash).

Any type of world building game or gardening or pikmin type game where you're doing a lot of micromanaging and resource collection has a bunch of obvious ways of benefiting from a second screen, especially a touchscreen.

In a game like Skate, occasionally you'll want a more close up camera to see your legs better and other times you want it backed up a little so you can see the level better. With two screens, you won't have to choose. Plus having a touchscreen makes it a bit more convenient to edit replay videos since you won't have to press the rewind button for thirty seconds to get to the spot you want.

And minor but omgworthy, what if instead of having xbox Live type notifications display on TV everytime you get a message or a friend logs on, it displays it on the tablet? It gets a bit annoying when you're playing Assassin's Creed or Red Dead and you get that popup blocking out the subtitles during a cutscene. Minor gripe of mine but I would love that.
AbsoluteZero said:
I just love the idea of the next Metroid game having a persistent map in front of me at all times.

That's a good idea, being able to control inventory/notes/maps (especially 3D maps) would be good and would make it so you don't have to pause every couple minutes in exploration/RPG type games.

Salsa

zelda-four-swords-adventures-b.jpg

more more more

Soneet said:
I was waiting for this thread!

100% 1st person view
Making a game solely for use with the tablet and not the TV screen allows you to do a 1st person view game where you have to move around your screen to look around. Can bring new experiences to horror games.

Imagine a game like this where you have to stand up and look through the controller screen in order to spot enemies - who could be anywhere around you - while wearing surround sound headphones in a pitch black room... maybe the new Aliens game.

A HD lttp remake in glorious HD sprite 2D with 3 worlds each of them 10 times as big as lttp and filled with secrets and adventure.

Cooking game where the controller shows the contents of the pan.

Singer in Rock Band has their part on their own screen, uses internal microphone.

Buzz style quiz game with a quizmaster who picks questions then reads them out from the controller.

Dungeons and Dragons.

Al-ibn Kermit

I remember in Red dead Redemption where you could hide a card in poker by doing a qte. For the WiiU, you could display the instructions on the TV but you have to do the action on the touchscreen (meaning you can't look down and just trace a line).

It's obvious the next Zelda will use the tablet in some way similar to the ocarina/wand of the last games. Maybe a string or percussion instrument now though. Of course, this could open it up to a ton of music games too.

In Mirror's Edge, they had several sections where you're being chased or are chasing somebody else. You could display your point of view on the big TV screen and display the other person's point of view on the tablet. Would be so awesome being able to see the shortcuts that whoever you're chasing is taking or in the reverse scenario, seeing how close people chasing you are to your ass. You could also apply this to any racing games obviously since it would add a really visceral thrill to any cat & mouse scenario.

In a Star Wars game, you can control stuff with the force using the touchscreen similar to the ninja star throwing demo they had. This allows you to run using the analog sticks but also control force powers at the same time. You couldn't run and throw crap simultaneously in Force Unleashed. I guess also you could use the touchscreen to tell R2 where to do repairs or if you have wingmen, whether they should attack or defend a location. I can also pretty much guarantee that if there's a Episode 4 Star Wars game for the WiiU, that it'll have the tablet screen be the viewfinder ("use the force..").

flak57

Retro said:
I called a lot of this stuff 2 months ago:
I called some of it before you called some of it, what now?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27169394&postcount=6720

flak57 said:
Couldn't the combination of the screen and the precise motion detection from the new Wii make for some interesting pseudo virtual reality games, or has this been suggested already?

As in you could physically spin your body around with the controller/screen in front of your face, and the Wii would detect where you are facing based on the position of the controller and have this reflected in your positioning in the 3D world depicted on the controller's screen?

I could imagine some amazing horror games being created this way.
flak57 said:
Ah.

How's this for a silly idea. How about a Mario Kart where two people are playing. One person is a driver looking at the TV, and the other an item user.

The item user can look out the sides of the vehicle using the detected position/direction of where he is moving/pointing his controller, and from this perspective on his controller-screen he can hurl shells and bananas and what not at opposing drivers, as if he were within kart displayed on the TV.

Where this all falls apart is if the slightest obstruction of the sensors screws everything up, but it's fun to speculate weird shit, it is Nintendo after all.

Seriously though, I doubt stuff like this will actually happen but it'd be cool.

Online games like Monster Hunter, where you can write on the controller and use that to communicate with other players.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Beyond Good & Evil 2: Touch screen is Jade's PDA thing. Hold the controller up to the screen to take pictures using the screen on the controller as the camera's viewfinder.

Like this:
wii-u-controller-o.gif

Metroid Prime 4: Permanent map screen except when using the screen to for scanning, x-ray visor or heat visor.

Madden: The controller screen is your play book. Controller displays a first person view from the quarterback's perspective, move it around choose where to throw the ball (see gif above except imagine it for football)

Ezalc

Just imagine it:

Okami 2
Outsourced by Crapcom to Platinum Games
Use the controller with a stylus to draw the slashes and etc.
Beautiful HD graphics on the TV

GOTYAY.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Simplet said:
Any king of mix between RTS and action game. Where you control a general/hero/sniper/warrior on the TV and keep an eye on the battlefield with the controller's screen. You can give some orders from time to time using the stylus.

What I had in mind is the player with the tablet is the CO, controlling the game like an RTS, controlling troop allocation, positioning etc, while the players with the Wiimote/Nunchuk are the soldiers/ infantry/vehicle operaters, playing on the TV like a first person/third person shooter.

Eradicate

I'd love to see some of the DS's "interactive novels" make an appearance, maybe expand them into the point-and-click adventure genre as well. Some of those experiences on the DS were the best, and that should continue here too.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
-Poker
-The desk of a detective story with all the paperwork which you have to go through in order to piece ideas together.
-Seperate navigation consoles for a pilot and co-pilot in a fighter plan. Very applicable to many war sim stuff.
- I seen this a few times before, but games where they have both first person/third person action elements or you can zoom out for RTS elements. So have the regular single character action on screen while you can command troops RTS style to go elsewhere or help you out.
- A limbo in brawl fighters. If you lose, you get a single chance to claw yourself out from the controller screen back onto the main one.
- Photographer in a multiplayer game. Whether local or online, just get someone to be a photographer of a match or sequence. Flying around and capturing the sweetest shots.
- Social networking/online chat function. Playing a game. You're buddy logs in. Chat up on how badass the game is looking. Or after a particular feat, give the option to notify your friends or facebook it.

A new Skate game by EA with the touch controller acting as a touchgrind controller.

But I hear it's single touch?

DON'T TELL ME THIS IS TRUE..... if so, it's classic Nintendo underpowering something vital. Silly cunts.

Mortrialus said:
Someone mentioned in a previous thread with the idea of Arkham City with detective mode permanently visible on the controller screen. I thought the idea was brilliant.

This is actually happening for Wii U Arkham City. I don't actually know that, but it must be, right?!? Why else would they port it 6+ months later?

Soroc

VideoMan said:
Madden: The controller screen is your play book. Controller displays a first person view from the quarterback's perspective, move it around choose where to throw the ball (see gif above except imagine it for football)

Beat me to it! New style of quarterback vision where you see from a closer QB look on the controller and just by moving his head around scanning the field to throw the ball (by button) while using tv screen for the wider look at all the action as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Natural Selection 2 with the commander using the screen controller. Panzer Dragoon or other on rails franchise using the screen controller for full 360 degree enemy tracking (the TV, if on, showing the front view). Actually, isn't that way more than 360 degrees, aiming all around you including above and below? I love the possibilities of this concept so much, it's like reverse Augmented Reality, and can be used for so many things (like the Endless Ocean 3 idea above). Fatal Frame V using this as the camera! Hell, maybe it could even have a mini game where you hunt ghosts in your house! You just wander around and it randomly decides to have them show up behind you or off to the sides so you're constantly spinning trying to find them before they get you. Maybe something like that could work for the Aliens game too with a motion tracker helping you orient yourself to target them. Do we know how accurate it is? If when I first start it, it's an 1:1 match with my TV, but when I play around a little it ends up being off by degrees so that in order for it to show what's on my TV (if on) I actually have to be a little to the left or right instead of looking straight at it, that would be pretty bad. Are the gyros etc precise?

ShinNL

VideoMan said:
By the way, I was wondering... that black bar on top of the tablet... it's also a sensor bar, isn't it? The camera is in the middle, but it's suspiciously a stretched black bar. I think the sensor bar on the TV shuts down and the sensor bar on the tablet turns on when you go TV-off mode.

CoryCubed

Star Trek would be cool with fully interactive LCARS system, including all knowledge of the trek verse and galatic updates, planetary info, shields, weapons, fleet movements, viewscreen, hailing system, and of course tricorder!

Also, Pipboy!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just hope all the FPS will still support wiimote+nunchuck with the screen controller acting similar to the classic controller option except with the extra touch/motion stuff they want to add on top. If, for example, there's a constant RTS screen on the controller when using that, allowing me to give orders and what not at will, I should be able to have that function with the wiimote+nunchuck setup by just pressing a button to bring up that same RTS screen and using the pointer like I'd use my finger on the other controller. I fear this won't be possible for certain games since it's the same old wiimote+nunchuck instead of a revision with potentially better button placement. I mean, some FPS games were already stretching the number of buttons and had to use some motion stuff to add all the functions, adding yet more things on top of that setup might just be impossible. I suppose if we go by COD which has all sorts of functions it already also has a map screen to bring up and interact with so maybe it's workable. On the other hand, for games like the Panzer Dragoon title I suggested here, it might be too much to ask developers to implement so vastly different control schemes so they end up neglecting some. Pointer controls in Panzer Dragoon as seen in Sin & Punishment 2 (but with the ability to shoot all around you, not just forward) are way different to the suggested screen controller free movement setup. Or are they? Maybe not, if you think about it... The screen controller would act as a pointer too but with different sensitivity to match 1:1 real world rotations.

Also, the position of the camera on the controller won't give the most flattering views when casually holding it like any other controller and video chatting....

Marvie_3

Banned
CoryCubed said:
Star Trek would be cool with fully interactive LCARS system, including all knowledge of the trek verse and galatic updates, planetary info, shields, weapons, fleet movements, viewscreen, hailing system, and of course tricorder!

Also, Pipboy
!
Oh shit yeah!

vareon

As we speak, there is a crazy japanese developer that will allow you to "undress" girls by viewing them in the controller.

Mark. My. Words.

Antagon

I'm thinking about a tactical online FPS (Ie Ghost Recon): Divide players up into Squads, make one player the Squad Leader. Each player will have a map of the area on the display. The Squad Leader can send commands using the touch screens to other players by drawing on the map, which the other players will see while playing. Maybe even add a sort of pre planning stage to the game where the Squad Leader can set up the initial plan and then have him alter it if necessary while the match goes on.

This new controller has infinite potential for making co-op interesting, here's 2 pitches I came up with

- The core concept of this comes from Portal 2. The Wii remote player plays as a prisoner or test subject while the other person plays exclusively on the new controller as their escape coordinator. The coordinator has a map of the facility and a bird's eye view of enemies and objects that may be waiting to ambush the other player. The coordinator is also given the task of unlocking doors, coordinating airborne attacks, and managing health and ammo rations for the other player.

- This idea came from Left 4 Dead. Four players play the regular campaign while the person with the new controller is the AI director. The director is allocated a finite number of each zombie and uses the new screen to place them across the map, they could even use the stylus to draw paths for them to take like an RTS. The regular players could be rewarded with things like UAVs to mess with the director and even the odds.

I made some Wii U Metroid mock-ups

metroidWiiU.jpg

metroidWiiU2.jpg

The first image is pretty much the standard 'menu extension screen' ala DS. But I think that could work really well for a game like Metroid. This means that you get to change any ability in real-time, and not just limited to Beams like in the Prime games. You will be able to browse around in the menu (seemlessly via the touch) and have a Map on the screen as well, making the view on the TV less crowded.

The second image illustrates the way you will be able to interact with the Wii U as another vision in the game, be it X Ray visor, Scan Visor, or zooming scope, etc.

Top Bottom