• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Wii U Gameplay Ideas

Luigison said:
Use it as an xray machine to look in a body to see bones, metal, guns, knives, or if a character swallowed a key or if something is hidden in a box, truck, room etc.

It'd be awesome if it had tracking like

Johnny Lee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Winscape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqu9NuINKbc
I'm always sad that we never got a headtracking game for the Wii. Sure it required the player to mount some tech on his head and to move even more, but man it would have been the most immersive experience ever. Especially shooters and other fp games could have benefited from this.

Polari

Shenmue III with third person perspective on the TV and first person perspective on the controller. You move the controller around to manipulate the first person view while movement is done with the analog sticks. In other words, make the most immersive game ever a little more immersive. I promise tears of joy. You can of course apply this to practically any third person game though of course but it would work particularly well with Shenmue.

troushers

instead of just being a gamer, you could now be a game gamer. Turn on wii u, switch to tablet, set telly to Kinect, and play both at once. Now that is real ultimate hardcore gaming.

Orayn

How about a multiplayer shooter with basic functions like recovering health, reloading, and defusing bombs offloaded to the screen in the form of micro-games? The main gameplay mode would require everyone to use their tablet, so you'd have to play very tactically and have your friends watch your back when it came time to perform some activity that required your full attention.

game like Mario Kart they could have the steering wheel on the small screen.

250px-MarioKartWiiEuDVDcover.jpg

like this but with virtual buttons on the steering wheel.

Neo Child

Banned
Heres my fantastic idea.

Left 4 Dead U (or Left U 4 Dead).

Team plays through levels as usual, person with uPad sets enemy spawn points, paths etc and other crazy crap.

[Nintex]

Metroid Killer said:
Wouldn't a rear view make more sense?
If you go 25000 mph you don't need to look back.

I've also tweeted this to @NintendoAmerica and #IwataSays so if F-Zero next-gen makes launch you guys can thank me.

Gravijah said:
Yeah, map needs to be on the main HUD. Not on the controller.
I don't want no shit on my screen, only F-Zero :D

Pre

I want a Fire Emblem game where I can fight two battles at once - a large-scale campaign on my TV, and a smaller battle on the controller screen.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
How about console RPGs finally emulating paper and dice RPGs with the dungeon master on the tablet, while the players use Wiimotes/Classic Controllers.

[Nintex] said:
If you go 25000 mph you don't need to look back.

I've also tweeted this to @NintendoAmerica and #IwataSays so if F-Zero next-gen makes launch you guys can thank me.

I don't want no shit on my screen, only F-Zero :D

yeah but the small screen should be the control panel inside the ship.

[Nintex]

It's just a mock-up now I wait for the #IwataSays response like: "Fuck yeah awesome, I'm going to greenlit this right away :D"

HD Monster Hunter.

Controller has inventory, and stats. Then you have to hold the controller over a monster to 'scan' it for target data, etc.

Or imagine a game like Mass Effect. When you goto 'hack' a console the mini-game comes up on the controller screen.

dwu8991

Banned
[Nintex] said:
It's just a mock-up now I wait for the #IwataSays response like: "Fuck yeah awesome, I'm going to greenlit this right away :D"

You are very talented, well done! Loved the logo. Can you do a track editor mock up?

Luigison

View a 2D game in a 2.5D view to reveal hidden dimensions like in SPM or these:
world1map.png

smb25d.jpg

nintendo3dmariobynessti.jpg

Hidden objects in simulated 3D:
192145-nintendo-ds-no-glasses-3d_350.jpg

Tilt games:
smb_tilt.jpg

labyrinth-2-99x150.jpg
Pac-Man-Tilt-1.jpg

Kirby_Tilt_%27n%27_Tumble_Coverart.png

A "Steel Diver" for Wii U would be awesome IMO

but it should be done similar like "Silent Service" which means without the steel divers 2D stages. a submarine simulator

My idea for the U Pad:
The U pad would display all the navigation and weapon instruments but once you flip the U Pad 90° towards yourself it will change into the submarines periscope. make a 360° move to search the oceans surface for enemy ships..

----------------

or an "aircraft carrier" simulator where you must command all the aircrafts, helicopters etc. The U pad would display the warzone from birdview. like a touchscreen enabled "Tom Glancy End War". The main action takes place on TV while the commanding stuff is done with the U pad.

-----------------

I also demand a "star trek" game with the U pad as tricoder

i wonder: how will this "continue playing on your controller, when someone occupies the tv" work, if the game has some mechanic that requires the use of the screen?

Earl Cazone said:
i wonder: how will this "continue playing on your controller, when someone occupies the tv" work, if the game has some mechanic that requires the use of the screen?

if I remember correctly it shows you some sort of splittscreen then.

Al-ibn Kermit

iamaustrian said:
if I remember correctly it shows you some sort of splittscreen then.
Are you sure? Is it even mandatory that all Wuu games are able to be played entirely on the tablet? A lot of games make heavy use of the second screen's real estate so split screen seems like a bad option in that case.

Fatal Frame is a good example of using the tablet/controller as a camera.

Since I saw Warren Spector and thinking about Epic Mickey, how about drawing on the controller and then sending the image directly into the TV?

Something similar to Okami which you can draw on the screen, and send it into the TV to attack the enemy of some sort.

Pachael

Fatal Frame was mentioned, but the use of (surround) sound with it would be fantastic. The tablet would use the space around you as you hear for the next threat. (which could come from the controller, or screen, or both)

The next Layton game will use one or more of the controller functions for puzzles - sound, sight, touch, camera, angles (eg. puzzle can only be solved by taking a side profile)

I recall the multitude of games that used a 'PDA' as a source of information - the tablet could be used in lieu of that. Of course, this would only be upgraded to a 'smartphone' as you can converse to it (microphone) and listen from it (speakers). Sidetalk- never mind.

Or flight, something Galaxy tried to do for a bit but can be improved due to the shape of the controller.

Though something like a 'first person' mecha game with the tablet as the control panel helps as sound/rumble/etc can be conveyed to the tablet directly relating to the screen. Next ACE?

Formless

Maybe in multiplayer team games you could draw something that would be displayed on a map, like waypoints or a path, that your teammates could see. This could be useful for giving orders or pointing out enemies, etc. Could imagine something like Overlord or a squad shooter use this well.

Medalion

Banned
Personally i am more excited for this controller's potential for newer types of gameplay ideas than the motion controls offered by the Wii remote before it

I have no ideas off the top of my head as I just woke up but the stuff I've heard so far for from other game developers are just barely scratching the surface I suspect

The Friendly Monster said:
Cooking game where the controller shows the contents of the pan.

Singer in Rock Band has their part on their own screen, uses internal microphone.

Buzz style quiz game with a quizmaster who picks questions then reads them out from the controller.

Dungeons and Dragons.

That could work exceedingly well. I think a fairly realistic cooking sim could be made on the Wii U, given all the control options. I'm envisioning a game where a MotionPlus Wiimote/nunchuck combo is used for interaction with the ingredients (sort of like Cooking Mama), with the WiiU controller acting as the pot/skillet/wok. Wiimote can act as a spoon or spatula to stir the ingredients (thanks to the built in sensors), and the WiiU controller's gyroscope can also be employed. Perhaps a setup where it's billed as a "virtual cookbook", where it not only gives you the recipe, but has an option where you can go through each step of preparing it would work.

Monster Hunter 4

- HUDless, 1080p HD glory
- Controller has inventory, status, menus, etc
- Also act like a video conference, chat, virtual keyboard
- Local quest multiplayer, a first for console MonHan

- Set the controller to display what's happening in other areas, could Joe be close? NooooOOO
- You could also set the controller to show what your friend is doing in a different city, quest
- Felyne/ChaCha camera as well

Also Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords, but we need multiple Wii U controllers support godammit!

Bert said:
Are you serious? Go watch the video I posted in the OP and tell me whether one button or a mouse would replicate that.
I just went through EVERY idea seen in this thread and ALL OF THEM can be replaced by 1 or more things -

A. Online functionality. We have multiple screen games. They're called online games. They're full screen for everyone, not just one person. We could have made a 1000 person hide and go seek game already (for example) but we haven't because it's a horrible idea for a game. And if it isn't, then they can go ahead and make it right now on any platform, even the platform the WiiU is trying to replace.

B. Overlay - you can overlay things on your screen. Lots of things and all in proper context. You don't need a second mini tv covering your screen to be able to see things you couldn't on parts of your tv. It's redundant rendering and hardware at its finest. You don't need a second tv covering your first to play a ghostbuster/luigi mansion game or to see x-ray mode in metroid. You don't need a controller interface in the way of what you're looking at. You don't need to move your arm out like an idiot to look around in 3d space. Also, when you create your own graphical overlay in a game, you can justify any shape, size and purpose for it, while the controller screen is a limitation for that and will force the player to stand and or hold the wiiU in a particular spot for the screen over screen illusion to work. It's gotta be the dumbest most ill conceived "feature" the WiiU has to offer.

C. Motion controls - half the ideas here can be replaced by a wiimote pointing, drawing, doing any interaction at the screen. Again, this goes with reason B a lot because the wiimote can already be pointed at the screen and queue overlays on the tv where you're pointing. You can do it with easier with 1 hand AND not have to cover your vision with the controller. Imagine the aggravation of playing metroid prime 3 with the WiiU.

D. A Button (and I do mean one button) - About 95% of the stuff that already can be fulfilled by A,B, and or C can also be replaced by 1 button. You're transmitting an abundance of data constantly on the screen when the player is only looking at one. Why? So you can occasionally look down and do something with that screen. That functionality can be replaced by 1 button in every single scenario that idea is implemented. Be that to be able to see something from a birds eye view, to see UI, to see anything a game could ever want you to see or do when you press that button. The button replaces looking down on a screen, instead of looking at the UI in your 50 inch plasma, you're looking down, refocusing your eyes on a small screen and for no real reason. That super sweet tv for the time being is useless until you look back up at it. You got no UI over your screen. Great, too bad you're not looking at it right now. Anything in a UI that's so unimportant that you don't need to see at all times can be put in a menu that shows up with the press of a single button.

Example: One button changes everything on one screen

and oddly enough,

D. Nothing - buttons in video games are already context sensitive. You don't need a touch screen with changing graphics to change the context of what a button does. They've been doing that since the dawn of gaming. Would you rather have to look down to see what Link can do to particular objects by pressing A, or just look at the top right part of the screen you're already looking at to see? One maintains the flow of the game, the other doesn't.

mclem

Valkyria Chronicles. You know it makes sense.

Smash Bros: Four players fighting, a fifth using the controller. Controller allows you to manipulate the stage - trigger traps, drop powerups, maybe even control Master Hand.

Winner of the (3-lives stock match?) fight takes over the pad. Overall winner is the first player to have the pad for 10 minutes. Pad player, therefore, wants to use abilities strategically to prolong the fight. The current leader should start to feel like the stage itself is fighting against him - because it is.

Trauma Center: Endoscopy Edition.

Pikmin: Allowing easy selection between specific squads.

Fatal Frame: Duh

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mr. B Natural said:
I just went through EVERY idea seen in this thread and ALL OF THEM can be replaced by 1 or more things
How about posting an idea instead of being a jerk to others' ideas?

As for your "point", anything can be replaced in some way. Any action one can think of has been recreated in video games many times before with many different interfaces. You're just stating the obvious. The analog stick can be replaced by the d-pad. The triggers can be replaced by normal buttons. Whatever else. The point is some things are better suited for some other things. You yourself mention pointing. You could have just as well mentioned analog sticks. Analog sticks can be used to clumsily move crosshair around in order to aim, draw or whatever else. Yet you said pointing. Why? because it's more suited to that.

Touch controls are even more suited to drawing-like functions than pointers. It's more natural, movements aren't amplified by the distance, one is simply more precise with a pen than one would be with a laser pointer. The pen is far more intuitive. It's how things work.

You can't replicate the VR style experience combining the motion controls with the on-controller display so that looking up shows you what's above you and looking down shows you what's below you and looking behind you shows you what's behind you. How would that NOT greatly enhance something like the photography features of Endless Ocean?

Obviously that doesn't mean you can't look up/down/behind you on other systems or with other methods, it's just a different take on it that people want to see and use, just as I can swing a sword by pressing a button in many games, I could swing it with my mouse in a certain PC game, yet I also want to swing a sword with motion plus. There's nothing wrong with any option, but I sure can't wait to do the last (again) with Skyward Sword. If you don't want to that's fine, claiming it's all the same is just silly.

Man, that detective mode idea for Arkham City (and Metroid, etc) is so simple and brilliant, it's just a no brainer. I guarantee they'll have that feature, it's perfect.

There are a lot fo other good ideas in this thread too, it's making me really excited for the system. I hope somebody at Nintendo is reading some of this stuff.

Linkified

PumpkinPie said:
I'm hoping the controller will mean the end of on-screen HUDs.

I hope that doesn't occur, looking down or holding up and blocking my TV to see my HUD is the worst idea I've seen so far.

My idea is that the screen displays all of the online stuff like with your friends list, messages etc. on the screen and the controller operates like well a standard dualshock or 360 controller when I'm playing Arkham City, etc on it. Therefore I'm not disrupted whilst playing my games but can see friends messages without having to pause the game and go to my unified online friends list etc.

vectorman06 said:
Photography Game: Imagine using the WiiU tablet to take pictures of objects or on screen. Think of it as an open-world photography game.
But why? Why would this be a good game? No more photography games, please! Afrika was bad enough.

EDIT: Fatal Frame might be the only case where I might see the light on this one.

rpmurphy

I think it will be great for 2-player local co-op. One person gets the big screen, while the other gets the U controller. The person with the U controller gets field command and can complete technical tasks on the touchscreen, while the person on the big screen is the grunt doing the mission on the ground or providing combat support.

Neo Child

Banned
POKEMON SNAP

Hold the controller up as the camera, the TV displays a zoomed out shot. R button on console takes picture, other buttons control vehicle - actually fuck the vehicle.. free roaming with control stick.

[Nintex] said:
The only reason this console exists

dFNYc.png
Sorry to sound a bit lame, but given F Zero is a game all about speed and bends, wouldn't looking down at the controller to check the map cause you to crash? Surely it's better to have the map overlayed in the corner of the TV screen? Like it is already.

Action game showing first person or third person (like Mario/Zelda) on the main screen and an aerial view on the tablet. As you're attacked by enemies, you can at times manipulate the terrain, populous-style, or drop barriers and objects onto arbitrary points in the map to help protect you from the onslaught.

Pociask

Get the D&D license. Put everything in the latest books into the game. Player with screen controller is the Dungeon Master - he can use pre-made campaigns/scenarios, create his own using a powerful editor, or browse/trade for ones online. Dungeon master uses the console to crunch all numbers, etc., while he controls action and tells story. Players have ability to do everything described in books, plus the DM has the ability to modify all numbers on the fly so that anything players can imagine on the fly is also possible. Players use remotes to input actions. Remote shows turn based combat unfold, or travelling around, or making a fire, or whatever.

Also make it fully moddable, so that the base fantasy game stocked with fantasy monsters from the lastest monster manual can be turned into a space sci-fi game, a 19th century western, or whatever.

Print money.

Also, for a baseball game, have the screen display scouting reports on pitchers/batters, as well as any other relevant stats. Of course the usefulness of this scouting report would depend on how good your scouting team is, etc.

rpmurphy

Thinking about multiplayer, I think it has been a very long time since a console had asymmetrical controller setups. The only one that comes to mind is the Famicom, with the second controller lacking Start and Select but with a microphone (although that didn't amount to much). Of course, Wii U is rather forced into that setup due to technical and cost issues. It will be a major change to how mulitplayer will be done on the system because of that.

Raide

Sammy Samusu said:
Monster Hunter 4

- HUDless, 1080p HD glory
- Controller has inventory, status, menus, etc
- Also act like a video conference, chat, virtual keyboard
- Local quest multiplayer, a first for console MonHan

- Set the controller to display what's happening in other areas, could Joe be close? NooooOOO
- You could also set the controller to show what your friend is doing in a different city, quest
- Felyne/ChaCha camera as well

Also Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords, but we need multiple Wii U controllers support godammit!

Pretty cool ideas but some of them would actually change how MH plays, especially the inventory stuff but the virtual keyboard etc would be handy. Having a view on your team would be pretty cool as well, making it easier to know when to save their ass. :D

Top Bottom