• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

Castlevania Judgement was made for this thread.

41kGa.jpg

to

oGhX7.jpg

Well since that was suppose to be young Maria, technically it was this:

Rob-offart23.jpg

to

335px-Young_Maria_Renard.jpg

and THEN this

oGhX7.jpg

And as of recently

Maria_-_Harmony_of_Despair.PNG

Which hopefully means Konami will try to forget those awful Judgement designs.

Dreamer RD

I don't really see much of a change here. Am I missing something?

Hard to explain, but she looks similar to other Nomura characters like Yuna FF10-2/Genesis (lol that hairstyle) Also her in-game model reminds of shitty low polygon NPC's from Crisis Core.
Still, she looks cool, but not as great as original PE.

A whole lot of nitpicking and nostalgia goggles ITT so far.
Whats wrong with new Laura and Chris Redfield?
Here, I got one:
cole_face.jpg

Why the developers went with this bland looking motherfucker instead of this guy who actually has some personality in his design.
3872.610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

because they went from one spectrum to the other and saying they are the same character?

the dudes hardly looked alike and what they should have done imo was to just introduce him as a new character or from an alternate universe or something

because they went from one spectrum to the other and saying they are the same character?

the dudes looked nothing alike and what they should have done was to just introduce him as annew character or something

their reasoning was that the same thing is done in comic books sometimes and it can be accepted.

Lara Croft somehow stayed mostly consistent until the new reboot where she looks kind of like Justin Beiber
New_Lara_Croft.jpg

Okay.

I can't do this thread.

Sorry.

When you begin by complaining about how Lara Croft's iconic image is as a big-breasted sexdoll, and how that her being designed realistically is a bad thing....

Yeah, good luck with this thread.

Sober

I think Desmond's look is for the better in Revelations, and while I think they could have done a bit better by Altair I'm glad they gave him a redesign considering he was just Desmond in Assassin gear in Assassin's Creed.
The only weird one is Desmond because he doesn't have the scar across his mouth. Oh, and they clearly missed it when he
woke up from the Animus island so that redesign of him clearly wasn't a projection of what he wanted to look like or something stupid to that degree. Someone just plain forgot.

Altair makes sense because of the above and Ezio just aged is all.

Uchip

Banned
Okay.

I can't do this thread.

Sorry.

When you begin by complaining about how Lara Croft's iconic image is as a big-breasted sexdoll, and how that her being designed realistically is a bad thing....

Yeah, good luck with this thread.

Never said it was a bad thing
But the doctor says you'll live

their reasoning was that the same thing is done in comic books sometimes and it can be accepted.

but that's comic books (and some would still disagree) and some people actually liked old cole for some reason.

Plus its a direct sequel where the story picks up relatively quickly from the first (iirc it happens a month after the first game) so that really added to that disconnect of seeing a completely different dude being pegged as "Cole".

At least my view of it.

LuchaShaq

Banned

the dudes hardly looked alike and what they should have done imo was to just introduce him as a new character or from an alternate universe or something

The story was so poor in one that they could have made him an asian wheelchair bound woman in 2 and it wouldn't affect that shit show.

but that's comic books and some people actually liked the old cole for some reason.

Plus its a direct sequel where the story picks up relatively quickly from the first (iirc it happens a month after the first game) really adds to that disconnect of seeing a completely different dude being pegged as "Cole".

They did the same thing with Jack and it turned out alright.
I would have dealt with the disconnect if it meant we were getting a skinhead as a protag.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why the developers went with this bland looking motherfucker instead of this guy who actually has some personality in his design.

[Cole from Infamous]

Because it would have been unbelievably stupid to change the main character into a completely different person from one game to the next (knowing he's actually supposed to be the same person). I'm so glad they decided to go back to something closer to the original Cole.

Kain, then. He's a bit harder to show than most, as the order of games release is not the chronological order of the games story. He changes A LOT, mostly for the better but in one example quite dramatically for the worse.

First we get the initial design in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - This is the beginning of his unlife, he has only just been turned into a vampire:

BO-Kain-1.jpg

Its a design that has not aged well admittedly, but looks somewhat better in motion. It has character, at least, as do a lot of renders from 1996.

The next design is from Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain. This is a thousand years into the future, and a reinterpretation of the character as the ruler of the world time-travelling vampire demon demigod.

kainsr.jpg

A great design, completely different (explained in game as the result of his gradual vampiric evolution) but elegant.

Next, in Soul Reaver 2, there was talk of an initial plan to include a reimagined version of the young Kain from Blood Omen : Legacy of Kain, with this piece of concept art being explored:

youngkain.jpg

I think its great, sort of a mix between the young and old designs that works really well.

Then, ugh, the Blood Omen 2 team went and produced this abortion:

kanepic-1.jpg

Its horrible, and representative of the horrible design work that went into that really unfortunate game. Its a shame that the team couldn't have used that essential vampire nipple rendering time to fix some of its profound story, visual or game design problems instead.

Hiltz

Because it would have been unbelievably stupid to change the main character into a completely different person from one game to the next (knowing he's actually supposed to be the same person). I'm so glad they decided to go back to something closer to the original Cole.

It can be done well but changing a main character doesn't usually end well. It's just amazing how professional artists can overlook such putrid character design.

I don't know the characters name from Assassins Creed, but the guy looks like David Blaine.

Setero

Neo Member
doubleagent-sam-fisher.jpg

The final Conviction design is also inconsistent as he looks way too young.

Also NTs Dante is awful and I don't really have a preference for old or new Lara.

The story was so poor in one that they could have made him an asian wheelchair bound woman in 2 and it wouldn't affect that shit show.

Well the story might have been poor but some still like some consistency.

They did the same thing with Jack and it turned out alright.
I would have dealt with the disconnect if it meant we were getting a skinhead as a protag.

Not everyone can with how they approached it imo.

I still say they should have some a reason for the change in the story (iirc they already had some avenues in the first game to go on) to make it easier to swallow (
iirc SR2 had the whole "plastic surgery" thing and ME had the whole Shepard resurrected by a certain group thing
) rather then "Hey guys its cole even though he looks like a different character".

Codeblue

Watching Jill Valentine transform from awesome character into plastic beast is like watching your favorite celebrity butcher themselves with surgery.

I don't even play much Resident Evil but I still cringe every time I see her.

Monocle

Lara Croft's new design is fantastic. The OP is bonkers to suggest she looks anything like Justin Bieber. (Really, I mean WTF?)

Ninja Theory's Dante is the best example of a terrible character redesign.

BHK3

Banned

You want to know why? Because making a main character look and sound completely different in a SEQUEL to a game is fucking retarded and we let sucker punch know.

notsol337

marked forever
Watching Jill Valentine transform from awesome character into plastic beast is like watching your favorite celebrity butcher themselves with surgery.

I don't even play much Resident Evil but I still cringe every time I see her.

Change of clothes? Sure. Baseball cap is pretty awesome.

... Barbie doll Jill? Ewwwwwwww

Newline

to be fair RE5 Chris seems to be a more natural extension of RE1 Chris. Just buffer and capable of typing. I'll take a lovable lunk head over the doubtful leader they made him into in the REmake any day.

Capcom did fine with Jill until RE5. I liked RE3 Jill's personality and voice quite a bit. She has been crap from RE5 on though.

pandemonium-4dc2a1351445b1304600885.jpg

becomes

Pandemonium2USLUS-00578-front.jpg

I loved the first one but I refused to play the sequel.
this soooo many times

I remember just thinking what the fuck as I played through the second game.

Really I think pandemonium 2 is the perfect example of what the OP was going for. Every single piece of charm the first game had was tossed aside.

Top Bottom