• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of WTF Did they do to the character design??

They actually made hand-drawn Crysis designs? More?

301.jpg

381_realsize.jpg

79422391ed9b8a7c4c44e173df78c.jpg

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_incgallery&task=viewcat&cat=artwork

http://wolfreim.blogs.3dvf.com/2011/01/25/crysis-2-concept-arts/

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225203

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/crysis-2s-concept-art-is-a-love-letter-to-new-york-city/

Alucrid

Banned
I agree. It's like they loosely built him on something that only a handful of SFxT players will recognize, so what was the point? I'm a huge "fan" of the Megaman box art and even I didn't recognize it was supposed to be OG US box art Megaman at first. I thought it was E-Honda in a Megaman helmet.

Looks more like someone attempting a cosplay of Mega Man, which is hilarious.

Seconding everyone who said Flemeth in DA2...she looked like a cross between Ultimecia and Rita Repulsa.

And it could have been worse - someone did some digging in the game files and found this unused headmorph of Morrigan:

ly8WN.png

surfing on/vaulting off a missile is video games' version of jumping the shark. it happened to snake, and it happened to dante. once foot touches missile, there's no going back.

also, electric guitar (interchangeable with skateboards for max cool) weapon:

dante-nevan.jpg

Ah yes, nevan - the electric guitar, quite possibly the most specialized, skill oriented high pay off weapon in action game history. Thanks for reminding me how awesome Nevan was, missle riding and pizza eating as it was, at least dante had personality, it helps in between all those serious space marines to see a character like dante who will ride a missle and say woo- hoo because he simply just doesn't give a fuck.

Still not a fan of that bra, er - I mean gunstrap though.

PK Gaming

this
daisy.jpg

and this
05.jpg

to this

images

Something that haunts me to this day. They went from a cutie, to a flat and oddly shaped head, wide eyed chubbish princess. Yes the original design's hair was too similar to Peach's but all they had to do was trim it. URGH

URGH

LuchaShaq

Banned
But to whom are they targeteted? Who is this mysterious demographic that prefers generic design over authenticity and uniqueness?

It isn't about impressing or attracting the most people, it's about turning off/turning away/offending the LEAST amount of people.

Put it this way in a game that is focus tested 2 far let's give 2 scenarios.

Scenario A - Original character design, makes 50% of the people asked excited, the other 50% say fuck this I'm not playing a game as a lady/non white person/ etc.

Scenario B - Generic as fuck design where 100% of the people basically go "it's ok I guess?"

I would want scenario A even if I end up hating the design, but corporations will go with scenario B every single time if they focus test character designs thoroughly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
this
daisy.jpg

and this
05.jpg

to this

images

Something that haunts me to this day. They went from a cutie, to a flat and oddly shaped head, wide eyed chubbish princess. Yes the original design's hair was too similar to Peach's but all they had to do was trim it. URGH

URGH

New Daisy is awesome.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I ag

I think this is probably the best redesign imo.
KH2+LE%25C3%2593N.jpg

Would be easier to see where you are coming from if he didn't have 3 leather belts on his forearm, 4 belts on his pants only one that is doing anything, 3 belt straps connected to one leg of his pants, a giant zipper down the side of his pants (wut?) and a girls shirt/jacket on.

Ya know besides that stuff.

So, just to be clear here, regardless of opinion, Lara's CG isn't what she actually looks like in the game.

image_tomb_raider-15957-1912_0003.jpg

I really like the New Lara design, but I wont lie, seeing the in game shots compared to the original art has me sad.

To be fair, thats a bad shot.

Not sure what happened to Elena's nose from Uncharted 2 to 3. Not really a big deal, but kinda weird.

uncharted-2-persos-2.jpg

Uncharted3Screenshot2.jpg

I havent played Uncharted 3 yet, but wtf happened here? =/

Captain Jacob Keyes, Halo:CE (2001)
keyes.jpg

Captain Jacob Keyes, Halo:CEA (2011)
CEA_Keyes1.png

Made even worse by the fact that, like in Reach, he's inexplicably wearing a dress uniform.

Yeah, he looked all sorts of weird in Halo CEA. He looked a tad better in Reach just due to lighting and animation.

Would be easier to see where you are coming from if he didn't have 3 leather belts on his forearm, 4 belts on his pants only one that is doing anything, 3 belt straps connected to one leg of his pants, a giant zipper down the side of his pants (wut?) and a girls shirt/jacket on.

The excessive waist belts, pants buckles and shortness of jacket are all elements of the original design. The leg zipper, arm belts and short sleeves/Griever on the jacket are the only changes on his clothes.

Outside of that it's just longer hair and a different art style.

spekkeh

Banned
Wasn't part of DAO that you had to find a new host body for Flemeth? Haven't played 2, but I'd say not doing a redesign to a younger woman would have been ridiculous.

Garcia

Body-wise it's fine, and I guess an improvement (though unashamedly culled from Madagascar), but facially they look repulsive.

It's mostly the eyes. Why in the name of fuck did they make Banjo and Kazooie's eyes so lazy?

iNEJF1vCGmIg2.png

That's a little better...

Holy shit, it WAS the eyes after all!

benzy

Ashley Williams.

ME1

FYAAU.jpg

ME3 early redesign

ash_by_carter_kaine-d4f4qng.jpg

Looks like Bioware became aware of the hate towards to the new facial model, and now they reverted back to the old face. And there were people saying there was no difference besides makeup and hair in ME3 threads...

ME3 final [left side from latest demo, right from leaked beta]

1329576395909.jpg

It does suck pretty bad that new Lara doesn't look exactly as she does in the hi-res artwork, that version is amazing.

And Uncharted 3 Elena looks off. UC2 Elena = best Elena.

Ashley Williams.

ME1

FYAAU.jpg

ME3 early redesign

ash_by_carter_kaine-d4f4qng.jpg

Looks like Bioware became aware of the hate towards to the new facial model, and now they reverted back to the old face. And there were people saying there was no difference besides makeup and hair in ME3 threads...

1329576395909.jpg

Im struggling to find any part of her that has actually changed please point it out, The cheekbones nose eyes mouth philtrum are all the same.

Yasae

Banned
Im struggling to find any part of her that has actually changed please point it out, The cheekbones nose eyes mouth philtrum are all the same.
Look at the chin, eyes, jaw, cheekbones mainly. Those are definitely not the same.

Then again, neither is the lighting. LOL @ Ashley's plastic surgery.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The excessive waist belts, pants buckles and shortness of jacket are all elements of the original design. The leg zipper, arm belts and short sleeves/Griever on the jacket are the only changes on his clothes.

Outside of that it's just longer hair and a different art style.

Leaving all of that on and changing other things is like dropping a bottle of sprinkles on top of a turd.

RSLYG

I prefer early MGS3 Snake model. Long face, younger, less facial hair, colder eyes.
ps2_mgs3_01.jpg

RvHjx.jpg

Well, nothing really wrong with this MGS3 Snake..except I think he has that goofy Chuck Norris vibe. (look at the slight chubbier upper lip/stache part)

Naked_Snake.jpg
metalgearsolid4coming20041110055234468_2.jpg

CorvoSol

surfing on/vaulting off a missile is video games' version of jumping the shark. it happened to snake, and it happened to dante. once foot touches missile, there's no going back.

I have to disagree. I mean, it sounds like an okay rule, but then you remember that Mario has been doing exactly that since his first game and the masquerade ends. And it isn't just Mario, either. Zero's done it, someone in Final Fantasy has probably done it by now, and so on. You begin to realize that surfing on/vaulting off a missile is just another day in Video Game Land.

Ashley Williams.

1329576395909.jpg
Are her eyes really bigger in the 360 version or is she just narrowing them as a facial expression in the PC screen shot?

Other than that, lighting is the only difference I can see.

Are her eyes really bigger in the 360 version or is she just narrowing them as a facial expression in the PC screen shot?

Other than that, lighting is the only difference I can see.

right side is her old look, as in leaked beta early ME3 screenshot look, they fixed her up a fair bit for the demo we have now and for the final release, but it's still rather "let's sex her up just because"

I can understand that but for me all of that stays true to his original design.
His new nonleather jacket I like better and I guess the short sleeves make it seem tougher(?) more BA. KH2 added back the fur that I also liked.

I don't know but I always get Han Solo vibes from the Leon jacket.

Squall_Dissidia_CG_render.png

and New Dante are probably my most hated.

spanks

I've posted this in another thread, but I've never really liked how Nintendo handled Donkey Kong and company (pre-Retro at least). They seem like soulless imitations. I don't think they really 'get' DKC.

From this
Krool--article_image.jpg

To this
451px-KingK.RoolMSS.png

King_K._Rool.jpg

From this
1257373-dixiejump_large.jpg

To this
dixie.jpg

I prefer early MGS3 Snake model. Long face, younger, less facial hair, colder eyes.
ps2_mgs3_01.jpg

RvHjx.jpg

Well, nothing really wrong with this MGS3 Snake..except I think he has that goofy Chuck Norris vibe. (look at the slight chubbier upper lip/stache part)

Naked_Snake.jpg
metalgearsolid4coming20041110055234468_2.jpg

I agree I think Solid's face was a better base for Naked's than the final design.

Even though there is barely any consistency in the FE universe, I find these new character designs to be a huuuuuge step down from previous ones.

Going from this

Fire_Emblem_Background_by_BritTheMighty.jpg

to this

fire-emblem-3ds-screenshot-and-artwork-646x325.jpg

really gets to me.
Oh god yes. I've always loved Fire Emblem's unique artwork, what a disappointing turn. As someone said earlier though at least it's better than Shadow Dragon's cg abominations.

Mista Koo

I really hate Yoshimitsu designs, I thought his design in Tekken 2 was perfect:

Hw3D4.jpg

Add all of his designs from 3+ here (although I'm ok with his look in 3 even though it's nowhere as good). His designs in SoulCalibur aren't a lot better (they are more universe appropriate, not that I like them either).
I think a modern version of it would be perfect, but I think actual fans of the character like his changes.

Also Little King Story's redesign is the Japanese version of a shaven haircut and steroid pump lol.

Everyone from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow to Dawn of Sorrow.

Cool, unique, moody character designs to terrible generic anime designs.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me with example pics. I'm on my phone.
I think this mainly has to do with the art style rather than the character design. Just look at the DoS Soma drawn by Kojima that SiegfriedFM posted.

Simon Belmont
Simon-belmont.jpg

Simon Kojima
simonbcy.jpg

It's not that its a bad design, but that's NO Simon at all, hell even Gabriel Belmont is more of a redesigned Simon.
I actually prefer feminine Simon, yes he is a bishonen but I think he looks more iconic and a better design overall.

I look how you conveniently ignored the Kojima redesigns that Judgement designs were based on.

Soul Calibur just goes nuts with redesigns.

boob-evolution.jpg
You should update this with her SCV incarnation
Elysium
, even worse lol.

Even though he's very ugly now, he looks more like someone with middle eastern ancestors.
But he resembles a guy I know (a gaffer), the last time I saw this guy he was wearing Desmond's hoodie :O

hao chi

1558103-chloe.jpg

chloem.png

For whatever reason Chloe's model was downgraded from U2 quite a bit. It becomes pretty obvious from comparing Elena and Chloe in the U3's character selection screen in the multi they gave Chloe Elena's body and face.

Of course there's also dat (missing) ass, but that's not really my concern.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/11/112245/1558103-chloe.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr179/Hurricarno/chloem.png

For whatever reason Chloe's model was downgraded from U2 quite a bit. It becomes pretty obvious from comparing Elena and Chloe in the U3's character selection screen in the multi they gave Chloe Elena's body and face.

Of course there's also dat (missing) ass, but that's not really my concern.
Well you purposely chose a dodgy shot of Chloe where she’s not even looking straight, and you chose a concept render for U2. Of course she’s going to look worse.

Despite how good the concept art was, Chloe looked goofy most of the time in U2.

Chloe-1.jpg

The new version is a big improvement.

Chloe.png

But really the only character who had a major redesign in Uncharted 3 was Sully, they tried to make him look less of charming sleazeball and more of a fit, cool old man. Both designs work.

Sully.png

Sully2.png

hao chi

No, I didn't purposely choose a bad pic of U3. That was just the best pic showing Chloe's facial features I found on Google Images, and didn't feel like browsing a bunch of pics on another site to find a better pic of her, especially because she really didn't have a large role in U3.

And that's not how Chloe looked for most of U2. That's just one bad pic of her.

Seriously, go back and use Chloe in U2's multi, then use her in U3's multi. The character model was definitely downgraged.

By the way, unless my memory of U3's single player is way off, Chloe never wore that red jacket in the single player. So that's not a pic from the final version.

Edit: Apparently she did have a red jacket, so I was off on that. But Chloe still looks off compared to her U2 counterpart. It's most noticeable in the multi, but can also be seen in the single player.

FyreWulff

No, I didn't purposely choose a bad pic of U3. That was just the best pic showing Chloe's facial features I found on Google Images, and didn't feel like browsing a bunch of pics on another site to find a better pic of her, especially because she really didn't have a large role in U3.

And that's not how Chloe looked for most of U2. That's just one bad pic of her.

Seriously, go back and use Chloe in U2's multi, then use her in U3's multi. The character model was definitely downgraged.

By the way, unless my memory of U3's single player is way off, Chloe never wore that red jacket in the single player. So that's not a pic from the final version.

Edit: Apparently she did have a red jacket, so I was off on that. But Chloe still looks off compared to her U2 counterpart. It's most noticeable in the multi, but can also be seen in the single player.

Multiplayer would be kind of a bad judge of things.. because multiplayer models are almost always downgraded versions of the single player models for performance reasons.

Top Bottom