• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Threat To Crash Airplane Into Capitol On Jan 6th Received

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017

Multiple air traffic controllers in New York heard a chilling threat Monday in audio obtained exclusively by CBS News: "We are flying a plane into the Capitol on Wednesday. Soleimani will be avenged."

The threat refers to Qassem Soleimani, the Iranian general killed last year in a U.S. drone strike ordered by President Trump. It was made on the one-year anniversary of Soleimani's death, for which Iranian officials have long vowed revenge.

It's unclear who sent the threat. While the government does not believe the warning of an attack is credible, it is being investigated as a breach of aviation frequencies, CBS News has learned.

Sources told CBS News that the Pentagon and other agencies were briefed Tuesday about the digitized voice recording. The sources said they believe the threat was designed to suggest hitting the Capitol on the same day Congress is set to count the Electoral College results.

Experts said the intrusion is concerning because it could affect the instructions pilots get about how and where planes fly.

Sources told CBS News a message was sent to air traffic controllers on Tuesday reminding them that any threat or a plane deviating from its flight path should be reported immediately.

The FBI is not commenting but said it takes "all threats of violence to public safety seriously." The Federal Aviation Administration said it is in contact with law enforcement.

Massive crowds, the House in an uproar, and airplanes crashing into buildings. Sounds like January 6th may be a little exciting.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019
Tokyo, Japan

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
The Nimitz and the USS Georgia are currently in the Persian Gulf waiting for Iran to pop off with something like this. B-52’s have also been flying patterns in that region lately as well. Something may be coming. Man, I hope not. No more wars in that region, please.

Nehezir

Sep 2, 2020
what the fuck do I expect from the middle east, besides this? if the Bushes hadn't given them so much free ammo shitting on them would be a cut-and-dry case of the place being a wretched sandheap full of hostility as far as I'm concerned.

Now it's just a mixed bag.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and how active is the IRA today?
Is that relevant? You're saying terrorists don't give threats. I gave an example of an older terrorist group that did. They aren't active now but they're one I know about because I'm in the UK and we used to have to deal with a lot of that shit back in the day. Still, it's not relevant when it happened - it is an example of a terrorist group using threats. It's really quite simple, I'm not sure which bit of it you're failing to grasp.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Is that relevant? You're saying terrorists don't give threats. I gave an example of an older terrorist group that did. They aren't active now but they're one I know about because I'm in the UK and we used to have to deal with a lot of that shit back in the day. Still, it's not relevant when it happened - it is an example of a terrorist group using threats. It's really quite simple, I'm not sure which bit of it you're failing to grasp.
They aren't terrorist anymore because they all got rounded up for being terrorist. Probably because they phoned in their threats. It's relevant. Shit doesn't happen like that anymore from actual terrorist. Did they phone in attacks in Paris or Turkey or etc? NO. Because you can do more damage to people that are unaware of your intentions. I'm not sure which bit of it you're failing to grasp.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
But that is why the IRA did it as well. Their goal was to damage government infrastructure, not kill people.
AND THEY AREN'T AROUND ANYMORE. And they still killed people. The dude in Nashville only killed himself.

Holy shit some of you are dense.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
AND THEY AREN'T AROUND ANYMORE.

Holy shit some of you are dense.

But the Nashville bomber used their modus operandi. That's the point. You said it doesn't happen and it just did. Terrorism is such a rare event in the US that you can't really say whether it was one-off or potentially common.

Reactions: hariseldon
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The guy didn't want to hurt people. It's a big difference. He wanted to cause damage to the system. If you can't see that, I'm not sure any argument would persuade you.

No argument would persuade you. It’s almost as if projection is a thing that exists.

• LOL
Reactions: Krappadizzle

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
No argument would persuade you. It’s almost as if projection is a thing that exists.
What am I projecting again? It doesn't take a military tactician to know that you maybe don't tell your enemies your are going to attack them as it gives them time to prepare. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What am I projecting again? It doesn't take a military tactician to know that you maybe don't tell your enemies your are going to attack them as it gives them time to prepare. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

You are confusing good tactics with stuff people do. People still do things that aren’t good tactics. Pigeons and chess spring to mind here.

Dec 15, 2011
  • Fire
Reactions: Tesseract