• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

JPS Kai

Didn't think this was out ahead of the PSVR. I loved what I played at the PC Gaming Show, so I'll definitely be picking this up..
after I wade through the swamp of other PSVR titles. Rez Infinite is gonna be my rhythm VR hook for a while

jon_dojah

Banned
I hope someone figures away to force VR ahead of official Rift/Vive support. End of year is too far. Either way I will finally get to enjoy this tonight.

kinggroin

Banned
So I contacted the developers about perhaps opening up an opt-in beta for preliminary VR support.

Screenshot_2016_10_10_at_9_20_21_PM.png

JOY!

So, if you're a PC owner and interested in this, show your support and RETWEET!
https://twitter.com/ThumperGame/status/785649598064840704

(I'm going to repost this in the Vive and Oculus OT threads)

The Game Informer review is the lowest score, but damn if the opening paragraph isn't the perfect description of this game's atmosphere

Thumper is the last thing a beetle imagines when it smacks into a windshield. Thumper is what it’s like to peer into the subconscious of the guitar-playing Doof Warrior from Mad Max: Fury Road. Thumper is a rhythm game stripped down to the rims – a primal, uncomfortable nightmare by design. Though it shares a few DNA strands with other games out there, Thumper is its own unique beast – a mean, unrelenting animal...

jett

D-Member
This game is FUCKING AWESOME.

Played for two hours nonstop. Standing up and walking around was a bit of a challenge for a short while. Thumper is just intense. I think it has the makings of a modern classic in the rhythm genre.

I'm on level 4. So that happened. I don't think I'll be able to get an S ranking ever again moving forward, HAH. This is the first time I have ever thought that 1080p/2D/60fps is not enough for a game, it's really hard to see some of this stuff coming now. Turning is second nature now though, I can just feel the direction of the turns before they even show up, but on the flipside I have discovered perfect turns. That was a mistake, I've died so many times now trying to do that now. :p

I have too many games right now but just bought this....haha

Was looking forward to it from previews but these reviews/impressions are very convincing

I think the best part of the call-response formula are the bars and rings. You get the rhythm of them appearing on the track, and that satisfying beat when you smash through.

Followed by the thump + wall grind combo.

robotrock

Banned
Would you recommend PC or PS4?

Personally I bought on PS4 because of the PSVR support. Currently playing in non-VR and it runs at a solid 60 (no drops at all so far), and it looks gorgeous.

Impressions in this thread seem to suggest the PC version performs exceptionally well though, see here:
The game defaulted to 8K with 4x MSAA and still runs at 144FPS on my 980 and 120Hz GSync Monitor.

Dmax3901

Personally I bought on PS4 because of the PSVR support. Currently playing in non-VR and it's runs at a solid 60 (no drops at all so far), and it looks gorgeous.

Impressions in this thread seem to suggest the PC version performs exceptionally well though, see here:

Oh god the decisions... This'll probably be PS+ game in a few months too :/

Belfast

Your right making it 3d, adding 3d audio and putting the screen an inch from your eyeballs doesn't add a single thing.

TV is just an add-on! Couldn't you just queue up some mp3s, put on your headphones, and crank the volume real loud? You could even tap your fingers on your belly while listening to simulate gameplay!

kinggroin

Banned
PC version all the way if you have at least a 970.

This sucker can run at over 4k and still maintain 120fps WITH AA.

This means VR mode will more than likely be 90fps with high levels of supersampling.

Fuck. Please get that VR patch out now.

Closer Two

Only heard of this game today and now I hear Brian Gibson did the music? I honestly think he's the only man alive who could do the term "rhythm violence" any justice.

robotrock

Banned
PC version all the way if you have at least a 970.

This sucker can run at over 4k and still maintain 120fps WITH AA.

This means VR mode will more than likely be 90fps with high levels of supersampling.

Fuck. Please get that VR patch out now.

double dipping

jett

D-Member
I think the best part of the call-response formula are the bars and rings. You get the rhythm of them appearing on the track, and that satisfying beat when you smash through.

Followed by the thump + wall grind combo.

The game gets crazy when you start attempting combos and high scores on later levels.

Head.spawn

4k 60fps w/8x MSAA on a GTX 970M.

Pretty intense so far.

Giving me that FOTONICA type exhilaration. Dope.

edit: dropped it to 4xMSAA after some frame drops on the second level.

Tiefooz

Highly recommend getting the soundtrack version. It's worth the extra few bucks.

This game is going to destroy me. I'm on level 5 right now and hitting a real bastard of a wall, but I'm hooked.

antitrop

This game reminds me of Dyad, which I hoped would get a PS4 port and never did.

I just beat the first level, but I'm super tired so I'll get back to it tomorrow.

bryan121

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying it, the best moments are incredibly intense and fun. My only gripes are that some of the cues don't stand out amidst the soundtrack--which I'm concerned may be a problem in the latter levels--and that the 'minimalist' aesthetic means information on scoring mechanics etc. are never made explicit.

Between this, Future Tone, and Rez, it's been a really great year for rhythm games.

Holy shit, I had no idea Brian Gibson founded a studio. Awesome.

I might wait for PS4 Pro to play this.

I didn't even know that he worked on previous games! I thought it was weird as shit that Lightning Bolt was in Rock Band 4, but now it makes sense. I'll probably have to get this tomorrow.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hot damn.

This game is amazing! Good lord, VR with this game will melt my face.

This game may legitimately kill me in VR. (Almost) 2 levels down and I feel drained right now. I'm going to leave it until Thursday and then dive back in. I probably should dick around with other stuff in VR first so I don't end up just playing this all day or, like I said, dying before I get to play Rigs, etc.

jett

D-Member
Highly recommend getting the soundtrack version. It's worth the extra few bucks.

This game is going to destroy me. I'm on level 5 right now and hitting a real bastard of a wall, but I'm hooked.

Level 5:

105044-bad-boys-shit-just-got-real-gi-nMpT.gif

I can't play anymore today. My brain is exhausted.

Shaneus

Thumper%20Gif_zpsmcmhrree.gif

THUMPER IS RHYTHM VIOLENCE! YOU ARE A SPACE BEETLE! KILL CRAKHED!
Holy shit, this OT reminds me of the one I did for TxK many, many moons ago:
Hope that means they're very similar in vibe. Because I could do with more of that in my life.

This game reminds me of Dyad, which I hoped would get a PS4 port and never did.

I just beat the first level, but I'm super tired so I'll get back to it tomorrow.
This is exactly what I needed to hear.

big_z

Does the soundtrack come with the ps4 version?

Its $19 on steam, $27 with the soundtrack. On ps4 its $27 but doesn't mention a soundtrack.

EDIT: Canadian prices btw

I haven't seen an OT this enthusiastic since the day SUPERHOT came out.

Definitely gonna check it out. Seems Audiosuf inspired, but you actually get to fight something along the way.

Top Bottom