• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER |OT| THE BEETLE'S ROCK BAND - HIGHWAY TO HELL!

I tried a demo of this today and...I don't get it. :/
Guitar Hero meets metal nightmare + Super Hexagon
Thumper_screenshot_4.png
407013-guitar-hero-iii-legends-of-rock-xbox-360-screenshot-standard.jpg

I've put thousands of hours into Bemani games and stepmania over the last 14 years or so. Pretty much any new rhythm game is straight on my radar. The more challenging the better, and reading this thread suggests there's plenty here so that's awesome. Just hope it drops on UK PSN soon.

Dio

Banned
I had to stop playing after S-ranking Level 2. This game is making me exhausted, but again, in a good way.

Now that I have a Vita too, this would be amazing on that after maybe 6 months or a year of doing a port if that's at all possible.

Cajun

Neo Member
Does this have a platinum trophy?

Yes but after playing Level 9 myself, there is absolutely no way a human being can S rank that.

This game is too damn good. Just played it from start to finish (currently number 1 on PSN leaderboards yeeee), and this game is the most mentally draining thing I have ever experienced. By level 7 everything is moving so fast that attempting to combo with stomps and perfect turns has to be purely instinctual, and the devs love to throw curveballs into the mix after a long, repetitive pattern to destroy you over, and over again. And it only gets faster, much faster. By the final level the imagery, comboed with the increasingly odd BGM is legitimately terrifying. I could have gone insane if I was playing with a PSVR. And it's all so obviously by design that I can't help but applaud this game. Loved it.

The image quality in this game is so good. I only have a 1080p monitor, but it plays great v-synced and downsampled from 3840 x 2160 via DSR. I love it.

TimmiT

I just played the first two levels of this and holy fucking shit this game is amazing. I can't imagine how crazy this would be in VR.

never heard of this game before looking at the thread here. man, this looks super cool. definitely going to check it out after work.

FyreWulff

music beatmatch?

harmonix dev tree?

buying the fuck outta this

as someone that plays the shit out of rock band, rock band blitz, and amplitude... COME AT ME, GAME

jett

D-Member
Just spent 90 minutes on level 6, half an hour of that was on the boss.

hugo-chipdeath.gif

My crappy nearly-all C's score was enough for top 16, I guess not many people have made it here so far. :p This game really gets supremely challenging, and fucking forget about going for high scores, I'm just trying to survive here! Although I can't help but go for a few "stomps" and perfect turns here and there...which often end up killing me.

The after effects of getting hit are really messing with me on the higher levels, they're really distracting. This game has almost become a one-hit knockout affair.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The after effects of getting hit are really messing with me on the higher levels, they're really distracting. This game has almost become a one-hit knockout affair.

Yes! I feel like I'd have just as good a chance of recovering from damage if someone sat next to me and punched me in the side of the head when I ran into a wall or something.

Does this game have an easy mode? I fear it's going to be too hard and I won't get much out of it.

Kind of like Devil Daggers.
The game is hard in the same way an arcade game is hard. The controls are simple, but once you get into the game's flow and rhythm, you kind of coast on the edge of focus and reflex.

Devil Daggers requires much more skill to succeed IMO

The game is hard in the same way an arcade game is hard. The controls are simple, but once you get into the game's flow and rhythm, you kind of coast on the edge of focus and reflex.

Devil Daggers requires much more skill to succeed IMO

How's replayability? Loved playing Amplitude in local co-op. Is there much to do after the 10 levels? Is there plans for DLC?

I feel like I can expect a sale before 2017

jett

D-Member
How's replayability? Loved playing Amplitude in local co-op. Is there much to do after the 10 levels? Is there plans for DLC?

I feel like I can expect a sale before 2017

It's not a "short" game. Level 6 took me 90 minutes to finish (due to how hard it is). I think there 9 levels in the game. The only replayability is replaying the levels to get S rankings in every sub-level and to improve your high scores (there are a multitude of ways in which you can do this). If you're into leaderboards and improving your runs, this game will last a long-ass time.

There's not much else. The game is a pretty pure experience.

(I haven't finished it so I don't know if there are post-game modes or anything like that)

killroy87

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how's the PC performance on this game? The Canadian PSN price is $7 more than the Canadian Steam price, but if it's a shitty port with poor performance, I don't want to touch it.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how's the PC performance on this game? The Canadian PSN price is $7 more than the Canadian Steam price, but if it's a shitty port with poor performance, I don't want to touch it.

Runs perfectly for most people it seems and it also runs well on older cards

jett

D-Member

It's FLAWLESS.

Top Bottom