• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ThunderCats (2011) Season 1 |OT| of Yelling "HO!" is Never Inappropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
PJhnI.png

Hello, everyone and welcome to the ThunderCats (2011) thread! Here is where we will discuss the upcoming show. I hope that you'll stay and enjoy the ride! Before I begin, let's get a few cat related memes out of the way. We will not do:

- Feed them pizza. Save it for the teenaged mutant reptiles.

- They're in heat, use a Q-tip. No comment.

- Never put "pussy" on a pedestal. We do the exact opposite over here.

- Nyancat. Just no.

- Caturday. Don't try to get us banned/closed!

82BOz.png

So what is ThunderCats? ThunderCats was a cartoon created, by Ted "Tobin" Wolf, in 1985 which depicted the adventures of a group of anthropomorphic feline creatures. The whole series spanned 130 episodes and one TV movie in four seasons. It gained a following with action figures, comic books, clothes, board games, and a video game. It's heralded by many to be a cult classic; IGN rated it the 49th Best Animated TV Show. If you grew up during the mid 80's/90's and loved animation, there's no way you couldn't have heard of the series. Quite possibly the story could have been forgotten, but the characters themselves are iconic.

That's all good and all, but why are we here? Warner Bros. Animation is producing a new ThunderCats animated series and it is airing on Cartoon Network in August 2011! It is a complete reboot of the 1985 series. Japanese animation studio Studio 4°C will be handling the animation. Sam Register (known for work in Teen Titans, Ben 10), the Executive Vice President of Warner Bros. Animation, will be the Executive Producer and will be getting help from people like Ethan Spaulding (known for work in Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series) and Michael Jelenic (known for work in Batman: The Brave and the Bold) in producing the series. According to the studio, this reboot will appeal to both new and old fans of the series. The cartoon aims to paint the story in a darker tone than the original series as well as fleshing out the characters from the original series.

The series begins with an hour long series premiere July 29th, 2011 at 8:00PM EST on Cartoon Network! It is a weekly release, it will continue next week at 8:30PM EST but in a 30 minute episode.

Youtube Trailers: 1 2

8alrB.png

The original story saw a group of humanoid felines fleeing from their home world of Thundera. This group of felines were known as the ThunderCats, seemingly high ranked officials from Thundera. The ThunderCats were in possession of the Sword of Omens, an almighty weapon that possessed the Eye of Thundera which harbored the power of all the ThunderCats. Due to an incoming attack by creatures wanting the sword, the ThunderCats had to change their course and travel to Third Earth. Once on Third Earth, the ThunderCats met a few friends and with their help were able to construct a type of headquarters for themselves. Things were not serene for too long for evil creatures in search of the Eye of Thundera arrived on the scene and the ThunderCats stood in defense so that the Eye of Thundera wasn't lost and the world that they lived in was not ruled by an unwanted force.

How does this new story differentiate to the old? The characters of the story are indeed younger, and the story takes place on Third Earth. The Kingdom/Thundera is under attack and the ThunderCats must band together on a quest to find a secret tome, the Book of Omens. The Book of Omens is the host to all of the secrets of the ThunderCats and a source of immeasurable power.

J0rCH.png

LION-O: A 'not-yet' hero trying to learn his place.
agEHE.png

1985 Voice Actor: Larry Kenney
2011 Voice Actor: Will Freidle
Bio: In the old ThunderCats' pilot episode, we see Lion-O as a boy not ready for the powers that were to be bestowed onto him. He goes through a process of aging which results being a boy in a grown man's body. In the new series, the creators decided to leave Lion-O as a young boy with conflicts about being the fabled Lord of the ThunderCats. Although he makes poor decisions and may be brash, the young Lion-O will do whatever it takes to defend his homeland and his loved ones from harm. Lion-O is tasked with locating the Book of Omens, to learn more about Thundercat technology so they have a chance to fight back against the invading reptiles.

TYGRA: Wiser, faster, stronger, yet in the shadow of the heir.
oyIzR.png

1985 Voice Actor: Peter Newman
2011 Voice Actor: Matthew Mercer
Bio: Tygra did not have much of a personality in the original ThunderCats series. He was the eldest ThunderCat and was known for being an expert analyst. Lion-O often came to Tygra for assistance as a warrior in second command. In the new series, Tygra is not the eldest ThunderCat and happens to be Lion-O's older adopted brother. While Tygra is stronger, faster, and wiser than Lion-O, he cannot be king due to Tygra not being blood related to Lion-O; most of the people under the ThunderCats rule believe that Tygra should be the true ruler and don't have any faith in Lion-O, but such a thing could never happen. Tygra resents Lion-O for this reason, but he does care for his little brother.

CHEETARA: Beautiful, but cunning.
pwxVj.png

1985 Voice Actor: Lynne Lipton
2011 Voice Actor: Emmanuelle Chriqui
Bio: Cheetara, the sole female in this group of heroes was often the voice of reason in the group. She was also the fastest of them all, which carries over to the new series. In the new series, Cheetara is the last living Cleric trained by Jaga the wise. Cheetara is actually assigned to be Lion-O's bodyguard. She is a powerful magician and the fastest cat in all of Third Earth. There exists a sort of love triangle between Lion-O, Tygra, and Cheetara in the new series which did not exist in the old series.

PANTHRO: Solid rock of guidance when all is lost.
FBm4a.png

1985 Voice Actor: Earle Hyman
2011 Voice Actor: Kevin Michael Richardson
Bio: Don't let Panthro's gruff exterior fool you: whilst he is monstrous in the battle field, he does have a big heart outside of it. He also known to work with his hands; in the old series Tygra would often make plans for a certain machine and Panthro would build it. Panthro is very similar to his old series iteration in the new series. Unlike the other ThunderCats, Panthro has apparently seen technology outside of the kingdom unlike the rest of the main heroes and knows a thing-or-two around them.

WILYKIT AND WILYKAT: The young are our future.
qiI5f.png

1985 Voice Actors: Peter Newman (WilyKat) and Lynne Lipton (WilyKit)
2011 Voice Actors: ???
Bio: The youngest of the heroes, the ThunderKittens were known for their mischievous antics. WilyKat (the male) is the more bold while WilyKit (the female) is the more cautious of the two. WilyKat and WilyKit are street urchins in the new series that end up joining Lion-O on his quest for the Book. Their real goal however is to find a fabled hidden city of riches. WilyKit has a special musical instrument that she plays that can put people into a brief trance (which they use to rob unsuspecting people).

SNARF: Snarf.
OvJnh.png

1985 Voice Actor: Bob McFadden
2011 Voice Actor: ???
Bio: Osbert, otherwise known as Snarf was Lion-O's guardian in the old series. When Lion-O suddenly grew up, Snarf's services were no longer needed but the old Snarf remained loyal to Lion-O and did what he could to help and/or get in the way. Not much is known about the new Snarf, but he is shown with WilyKit and WilyKat in a promotional picture and he is seen with Lion-O in a trailer. Snarf does not speak in the new incarnation of ThunderCats; he just makes cat noises and is more like a pet this time, albeit a smart pet.

CLAUDUS: The Lord who will do anything for his people.
FjgWj.png

1985 Voice Actor: ???
2011 Voice Actor: Larry Kenney
Bio: Claudus is Lion-O's father and the current Lord of the ThunderCats. Strong but caring, Claudus does whatever it takes to defend his people.

JAGA: The wise man who knows it all.
VV1A1.png

1985 Voice Actor: Earl Hammond
2011 Voice Actor: Corey Burton
Bio: Jaga the Wise is a cleric once heralded as the strongest of all the ThunderCats. He was the former wielder of the Sword of Omens in the old series. All we know about him in the new series is that he is a strong magician who pretty much plays the same role as his old series iteration but he also mentored Cheetara in the arts of magic.

GRUNE: Former hero, current destroyer.
2LtCL.png

2011 Voice Actor: Clancy Brown
Bio: Once an honorable warrior and comrade to such fighters as Claudus and Jaga, Grune was filled with a lust for power. It was so strong that he fought against Jaga for the Eye of Thundera, though Grune ultimately lost and was banished for his misdeeds. Grune made his way to Third Earth and began terrorizing the people there to quench his power hungry thirst until he was ultimately sealed by the natives. Unfortunately such a seal was broken and Grune returned to his terrorizing ways. Grune's status is unknown in the new series, but one can assume that he plays the same role.

SLITHE: Calculating and cold blooded.
5sanU.png

2011 Voice Actor: Dee Bradley Baker
Bio: Slithe is the leader of the reptiles. Although barbaric and impatient, he does possess some wit that he uses to his advantage in the battlefield.

MUMM-RA: The evil that stands in the way.
RsN3s.png

1985 Voice Actor: Earl Hammond
2011 Voice Actor: Robin Atkin Downes
Bio: The very "essence of evil." Seeking power, Mumm-Ra will do whatever it takes to acquire the Eye of Thundera to rule over the world. The new series iteration of Mumm-Ra is identical to his old iteration. Mumm-Ra is an expert of magic and in fact happens to be seemingly immortal!

So, without futher ado...

mFCZZ.png

ThunderCats, HO!!

(Special thanks goes to ckohler for assistance with the OP!)

K444WSR

Any idea if it's going to be airing on uk television or am I going to have to look elsewhere. Was a fan of this and he-man growing up so looking forward to this.

Triple Oceans said:
Hmmm, not bad. Looks pretty interesting. Will definitely give it a watch. Nice job OP.
Thanks. I'm pretty excited for it myself.

A Human Becoming said:
Wouldn't have expected you to be a Thundercats fan, spin.
I've always loved the series. I'm a big animation guy. The story was blurry to me before making an OP but I loved it as a kid, granted I wasn't even alive during its initial run.

Any idea if it's going to be airing on uk television or am I going to have to look elsewhere. Was a fan of this and he-man growing up so looking forward to this.
It'll probably air on Cartoon Network. I'm not so sure if this will air in the UK, though.

BlueWord said:
OP doesn't have enough Emmanuelle Chriqui.

Normally I would post pics. Can we do that under the new rules?
I'm sure you can post pictures, just keep them work safe.

She really is beautiful, though.

ckohler

OP looks great, however, can you remove all those blockquotes around the images (try not centering them)? It's making me have to scroll left to right to read.

spindashing said:
Thanks. I'm pretty excited for it myself.

I've always loved the series. I'm a big animation guy. The story was blurry to me before making an OP but I loved it as a kid, granted I wasn't even alive during its initial run.

It'll probably air on Cartoon Network. I'm not so sure if this will air in the UK, though.

I was around to catch the originally airings of this show when I was younger (I'm 31 now) and the one thing I always thought when I watched any episode was "why are they drawn so funny?". Obviously I didn't particularly care for how well the animators had sketched the characters. But with this reboot, the characters seem look a lot better.

Qwomo

Hopefully this'll scratch my well-animated children's show itch until Legend of Korra comes out.

Davedough

You know at first I was turned off by a remake because the Thundercats were pretty integral in my youth, but their reinterpretations of the characters aren't bad. I'm still slightly put off by kid-Liono, but the rest of the characters look pretty good. I especially like how Panthro gives off a Jet from Bebop vibe.

Triple Oceans said:
I was around to catch the originally airings of this show when I was younger (I'm 31 now) and the one thing I always thought when I watched any episode was "why are they drawn so funny?". Obviously I didn't particularly care for how well the animators had sketched the characters. But with this reboot, the characters seem look a lot better.
You know, it's weird because I initially thought that everyone would hate the series because it looks a bit more like anime.

But, I'm glad most people are taking a liking to it.

ckohler said:
OP looks great, however, can you remove all those blockquotes around the images (try not centering them)? It's making me have to scroll left to right to read.
Is that good, bro?

Davedough said:
You know at first I was turned off by a remake because the Thundercats were pretty integral in my youth, but their reinterpretations of the characters aren't bad. I'm still slightly put off by kid-Liono, but the rest of the characters look pretty good. I especially like how Panthro gives off a Jet from Bebop vibe.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught the Jet Black features.

Subitai

survivor said:
Looks great. I never watched the original so I'm going into this show blind.
In some ways you didn't miss anything really. When the original came out most of us were younger than 10 and just so impressed by a show that was so intense and compared to what else was out at the time.

bengraven

I was never a Thundercats guy: I felt like they were a ripoff of He-man (give me a break, I was five). I later found VHS bootlegs of every episode and watched them. There was something nostalgic about the music and animation that reminded me of a "lost" 80s cartoon (since I never watched it), but I still thought it was missing some real meat.

I think these changes actually improve the concept, from a non-fanboy's perspective.

Azar

They should've just put Emmanuelle Chriqui in as a live action character. She's enough of a fox already.

K444WSR

Thanks spin-I'll keep my eye open on the tele here. I'm sure it'll be on the net somewhere regardless, I'll just have to avoid this thread until I've seen the episodes. Great OP aswell spin.

ckohler

Yeah, the creators said that Snarf doesn't talk. He just makes cat noises and is more like a pet this time, albeit a smart pet.

Here are some more plot tidbits I've gained from online sources and the sneak-peek that leaked online:

• Lion-O is tasked with locating the Book of Omens, to learn more about Thundercat technology so they have a chance to fight back against the invading reptiles. I'm guessing this is where they'll eventually meet Panthro, who is a kind of nomad and knows more about technology than the other Thundercats.
  • WilyKat and WilyKit are street urchins before joining up with Lion-O on his quest for the Book. Their real goal however is to find a fabled hidden city of riches. WilyKit has a special musical instrument that she plays that can put people into a brief trance (which they use to rob unsuspecting people).
  • Cheetara is actually assigned to be Lion-O's bodyguard.
  • Most of the people under the Thundercats rule believe that Tygra should be the true ruler and don't have any faith in Lion-O.

After the turd that is the Voltron reboot, I am so glad that this show is going to be good, that 9 minute preview left me hyped. Is there a link to that preview in the OP?

BTW, is it the 80s all over again, Voltron (Bad), GI Joe (Decent), Transformers (Average), My Little Pony (Haven't seen it) and Thundercats are all airing in roughly the same time period ...

ckohler said:
Yeah, the creators said that Snarf doesn't talk. He just makes cat noises and is more like a pet this time, albeit a smart pet.

Here are some more plot tidbits I've gained from online sources and the sneak-peek that leaked online:
  • Lion-O is tasked with locating the Book of Omens, to learn more about Thundercat technology so they have a chance to fight back against the invading reptiles. I'm guessing this is where they'll eventually meet Panthro, who is a kind of nomad and knows more about technology than the other Thundercats.
  • WilyKat and WilyKit are street urchins before joining up with Lion-O on his quest for the Book. Their real goal however is to find a fabled hidden city of riches. WilyKit has a special musical instrument that she plays that can put people into a brief trance (which they use to rob unsuspecting people).
  • Cheetara is actually assigned to be Lion-O's bodyguard.
  • Most of the people under the Thundercats rule believe that Tygra should be the true ruler and don't have any faith in Lion-O.
OP updated!

Tokubetsu said:
Still heartbroken they cancelled Symbionic Titan. I don't know if I can support another CN show.
Yeah, I hope this doesn't suffer the same downfall.

From the voice actors to the production, it seems to be pretty good on both ends.

Maddness

Thundercats Ho!! Man I can't tell you how much I loved this show as a kid. I still have my old Thundercats toys in a box back at my parents house somewhere.

I'm extremely pleased with what the new show looks to offer and cannot wait. This and Last Airbender sequel are my top 2 upcoming shows that I just cannot wait for.

Edit: also Cheetara. Dem Kitties..

Looks surprisingly good. In most cases the designs are recognizable enough that I can think "oh that's (character)" at a glance but they're still in their own style.
edit: also, new Panthro looks badass and the Thunder Kittens are adorable.

Slayven

spindashing said:
OP updated!

Yeah, I hope this doesn't suffer the same downfall.

From the voice actors to the production, it seems to be pretty good on both ends.
Well it helps that Thundercats already has toys on the shelves.

Slayven said:
Well it helps that Thundercats already has toys on the shelves.
Yeah. The toys look pretty cool too. I might pick up a Tygra to have it stand somewhere around my computer desk.

Qwomo said:
But her boobs are bigger and you can see more of them!
That's always a plus over a 1980s Aerobic Instructor look. But, in the original's pilot, you did get to see her nude.
No nipples though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom