• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Thurrott) Halo Infinite “next-gen game” will be shown off on a PC and other MS E3 details.

But why? For what? And how much cheaper? Seems like a confusing move for MS.

Mom: "Hey son did you want the Xbox Next X or the Xbox Next S?"
Son: "I want the Xbox Next X".
Mom: "Well.....what's the difference?"
Son: "The X plays games in 4K"
Mom: "I thought your Xbox One X did that"
Son: "It does....."
Mom: "So why do you want me to buy you this Xbox X for $500 after I bought you the other Xbox X last year for $500"
Son: "Well....can you at least buy me the Xbox Next S?"
Mom: "Okay....but how is that different from the other one?"
Son: "It does the same thing, it just doesn't play games in 4K"
Mom: "So it's a worse video game box than the one I bought you last year? No way you'll keep your Xbox X from last year!!!"

*Both leave the store empty handed*
If they spent $500 on the XOX why would they deduce that you get an upgrade for less? This must be a conversation amongst morons. By this point, people know what the S and the X mean.

Last edited:

Three

So the same as their last 3 generations? Check.
Not sure I get what you mean but no not like the last 3 generations because buying an xbox game in the last three generations did not mean it's playable on PC. You can ask all the PC gears and halo fans who got the early releases then were left out in the cold with the sequels until only recently when MS is going back to PC. I feel they will unite the stores, services they have already done and make a 'standardised PC' akin to a Surface version of a laptop but likely locked down in comparison. They will gain their good third party and Japanese game support through PC. PC versions of games bought on that store or made available on gamepass will be playable on xbox. This is my guess and it's nothing like the past 3 generations. MS care far less about selling you a console because they haven't had success with that, they care more about services now.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hold on.....isn't the Xbox One S 1.3 TFs? Wouldn't that make the weaker Xbox Next console 5.2 TFs?

and

If MS really does this dual console thing, I can see the 12 TF version selling 90% or more of the consoles. So many more to the point that MS will realize how silly it was to release a 5 TF console. For instance....what happens if a game developer makes a next-gen game to render natively at 1440p with amazing\clean AA that looks super close to 4K because they put most of the rendering budget into the open world and graphics, but also wanted it to run at 60 fps? At what resolution would you think the weaker Xbox Next will run at? 900p?

The mass market has made it very clear the more powerful version isnt for the majority.

Pallas

Gold Member
The xbox one x has been left to die? Ill be pissed if the X can't play next gen games. Even as a stop gap until I pick up a new xbox.

Ps5 day one with full ps4 BC and xbonex FC until the new wave of xbox 2 games drop

I mean you can say the same about the PS4 Pro.

When her sons said they wanted the newest Xbox yes the dual sku was a problem for a soccer mom who knows ZERO about teraflops.

When both consoles were displaying 4k the extra $100 lost it had nothing to do with catching a break it was pricing.

You can apply the same situation to the PS4. Most moms will get little Timmy the cheaper version. I mean Lockhart is directed toward the casual crowd.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Not sure I get what you mean but no not like the last 3 generations because buying an xbox game in the last three generations did not mean it's playable on PC. You can ask all the PC gears and halo fans who got the early releases then were left out in the cold with the sequels until only recently when MS is going back to PC. I feel they will unite the stores, services they have already done and make a 'standardised PC' akin to a Surface version of a laptop but likely locked down in comparison. They will gain their good third party and Japanese game support through PC. PC versions of games bought on that store or made available on gamepass will be playable on xbox. This is my guess and it's nothing like the past 3 generations. MS care far less about selling you a console because they haven't had success with that, they care more about services now.

Not sure what all this was about, you said the next xbox would be "a locked down PC" which I replied correct like the past 3. They have all be locked down PCs. The fact PC will now get simultaneous launches doesn't change anything about the hardware.

Success to sale is irrelevant, over 150 million sold is successful for any product line and a vast number, even if the competition sold 400 million or where ever it sits at the moment it just means one is more successful then the rest.

Codes 208

Is there any word yet if it is going to pc?
Theres no reason not to believe it will. Post 2015 all exclusives have been on pc as well and now theyre focusing on expanding to steam.

Chances are itll come to pc with xb4 being the focus in terms of marketing.

Pallas

Gold Member
Is there any word yet if it is going to pc?

Should be obvious if we see what Microsoft has done as of late with their exclusives. It’s a no brainer that it will come to PC unless they drastically change their current course.

bitbydeath

Not sure what all this was about, you said the next xbox would be "a locked down PC" which I replied correct like the past 3. They have all be locked down PCs. The fact PC will now get simultaneous launches doesn't change anything about the hardware.

Success to sale is irrelevant, over 150 million sold is successful for any product line and a vast number, even if the competition sold 400 million or where ever it sits at the moment it just means one is more successful then the rest.

Probably means the games could work on both. Put Xbox Next game disc in a PC and it’ll work without the need of an emulator.

Will have to wait and see if it turns out that way.

Imtjnotu

Should be obvious if we see what Microsoft has done as of late with their exclusives. It’s a no brainer that it will come to PC unless they drastically change their current course.
I figured they would want a reason to sell their console out the start. Atleast a delayed pc launch to sell as many consoles launch day.

This halo will be huge for them. An easy use of an exclusive game will push consoles

Aceofspades

Banned
Wasn’t it said the Xbox One S was still going to be included for the foreseeable future?

Xbox One S - 1080P
Lockhart (X replacement) - 4K
Anaconda - 8K

Dude, One S can barely handle 900p current gen. It will even struggle more running next gen at 720p

Also Anaconda doing 8k?! 🤣

4 x 1.4 = 5.6 Tflop. With AMD providing more efficient hardware these days with RDNA, that will put it on par with the XOX. Now I’m not expecting Next Gen at 4K/60 on that machine, I do expect 1440p/60 with the same level of detail as Anaconda. It will take a lot of power to push next-gen level visuals at 4K/60 so 12TF seems about right to accomplish that.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
You have to laugh at some of the comments. Xbox has been showing their games running on high end pcs since forever at shows. Even that CD3 first demo that everyone was salivating for was on a high end pc. This shit just par the course why is this thread worthy? I remember one E3 where thy had Xbox consoles on top as if the games were running on them but under the tables the Xbox were on there were hidden pcs running the games shown.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
You have to laugh at some of the comments. Xbox has been showing their games running on high end pcs since forever at shows. Even that CD3 first demo that everyone was salivating for was on a high end pc. This shit just par the course why is this thread worthy? I remember one E3 where thy had Xbox consoles on top as if the games were running on them but under the tables the Xbox were on there were hidden pcs running the games shown.

About as thread worthy as the all capitalized thread about that IGN poll.

Codes 208

Because the general consensus was that it would likely be played on the xbox one x (or with the x in mind) whereas its now suggested to be a next gen focus (and thats not including the rumor of three new ip announcements during the event.)

And for the record, the e3 they got caught doing that was 2013’s, for the exact same reason: the xbox one wasnt finalized yet.

So with new news, new thread.

I could. But in my personal situation, it wouldn't make sense. I had a PS4 and then gave it away half-way through the gen. Bought an xbox one cheap, got game pass and figured it would make more sense to buy an Xbox one x (i'm convinced the X is forward compatible) then buy a PS5 and catch up on the last three years of games like GoW etc.

and even though I am a massive xbox fanboy, Microsoft have done nothing to inspire me this whole gen. Now i'm supposed to believe that Phil is gun bring da gayms, because reasons.

Sony will get my money on day one. I'll let Microsoft work out what I wants to do.

And again, MCC exploding reddit and being steam’s most anticipated game for *months* isnt a sign of a comeback, i dont know what is.
Yes totally agree. I think the fans are still around, but they haven't had a halo game to rally behind for a while.

Elenchus

Banned
Going forward there is no real choice, generally speaking. They needs to go to where the customers are. There is no going back now, the announcement of new hardware to me is to appease the few console warriors remaining.

Yes. MS is spending billions in research, development, and marketing to release a console only to appease a few console warriors.

Really? 😳

That’s just silly.

You can ascribe whatever motives you like I suppose. But the fact is that a new Xbox will be on retail shelves right next to the new PS and consumers (no matter how much it angers GAF) will have a choice of which to buy.

Is what it is.

Are people in this thread actually asking if Halo Infinite will be coming to PC?

lol.. Do people not understand MS' strategy by now and what they've been working towards for the past 3+ years?

Elenchus

Banned
When her sons said they wanted the newest Xbox yes the dual sku was a problem for a soccer mom who knows ZERO about teraflops.

When both consoles were displaying 4k the extra $100 lost it had nothing to do with catching a break it was pricing.

But this same soccer mom will understand the infinite choices presented by PC gaming and will have no issues making that purchase correct?

GAF’s hypothetical soccer mom is a strange creature to be sure.

Completely incapable of understanding the same luxury option that is made available for nearly every good or service on the market (i.e. Lexus vs Toyota; First-class vs Coach) but perfectly capable of understanding which graphics card and power supply would best suit a media center PC for a living room?

You go girl. 👍

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But this same soccer mom will understand the infinite choices presented by PC gaming and will have no issues making that purchase correct?

GAF’s hypothetical soccer mom is a strange creature to be sure.

Completely incapable of understanding the same luxury option that is made available for nearly every good or service on the market (i.e. Lexus vs Toyota; First-class vs Coach) but perfectly capable of understanding which graphics card and power supply would best suit a media center PC for a living room?

You go girl. 👍

My sister in law understands cars and knows what she wants and she is the real soccer mom so you can be as sarcastic as you like.

And no she wouldnt have a single clue when buying PC parts.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they spent $500 on the XOX why would they deduce that you get an upgrade for less? This must be a conversation amongst morons. By this point, people know what the S and the X mean.

Because the soccer mom's son will be explaining to her that the "new" Xbox NXT is the weaker 5.5 TF Lockhart version that's the upgrade (it just doesn't do 4K). Yet I guess sometimes it would do 4K on some indie games.....maybe?

You can apply the same situation to the PS4. Most moms will get little Timmy the cheaper version. I mean Lockhart is directed toward the casual crowd.

The PS4 came out 3 years before the PS4 Pro. The OG PS4 was established as "THE" Playstation 4. The PRO is just a .5 upgrade that's 100% totally optional. People know that by now.

4 x 1.4 = 5.6 Tflop. With AMD providing more efficient hardware these days with RDNA, that will put it on par with the XOX. Now I’m not expecting Next Gen at 4K/60 on that machine, I do expect 1440p/60 with the same level of detail as Anaconda. It will take a lot of power to push next-gen level visuals at 4K/60 so 12TF seems about right to accomplish that.

So how much RAM will be in this weaker Xbox NXT Lockhart? Will it be the same as Anaconda? Will the two console boxes be the same size?

Are people in this thread actually asking if Halo Infinite will be coming to PC?

lol.. Do people not understand MS' strategy by now and what they've been working towards for the past 3+ years?

Didn't Microsoft say a year ago that Halo Infinite will NOT be a Play Anywhere game and it's exclusive to Xbox?

DanielsM

Banned
Yes. MS is spending billions in research, development, and marketing to release a console only to appease a few console warriors.

Really? 😳

That’s just silly.

You can ascribe whatever motives you like I suppose. But the fact is that a new Xbox will be on retail shelves right next to the new PS and consumers (no matter how much it angers GAF) will have a choice of which to buy.

Is what it is.

Well, not sure about billions, basically this thing could just be a full Window 10 machine at this point. Its to appease the few console warriors that don't quite realize the war is over, that way they can get them into other services. You're comments are silly, I hate to break it to ya, but the war is over. Microsoft was spending many times more for supporting Windows Phone, yet at the same time Nadella was abandoning it, he didn't abandon mobile, on the contrary, he went to where the customers are.

Who said they wouldn't release more hardware, I've said many times I expect there to be Xbox Next, but if sales don't pick up soon... no they won't be sitting next to other PS for long at retail locations.

The war is over, you need to think of life beyond the console bombs. The only thing silly is few console warriors actually believing there is a war going on.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well, not sure about billions, basically this thing could just be a full Window 10 machine at this point. Its to appease the few console warriors that don't quite realize the war is over, that way they can get them into other services. You're comments are silly, I hate to break it to ya, but the war is over. Microsoft was spending many times more for supporting Windows Phone, yet at the same time Nadella was abandoning it, he didn't abandon mobile, on the contrary, he went to where the customers are.

Who said they wouldn't release more hardware, I've said many times I expect there to be Xbox Next, but if sales don't pick up soon... no they won't be sitting next to other PS for long at retail locations.

The war is over, you need to think of life beyond the console bombs. The only thing silly is few console warriors actually believing there is a war going on.
Your posts are becoming almost as tedious as thelastwords. I mean how many times can you post the same thing before getting bored?.

DanielsM

Banned
Your posts are becoming almost as tedious as thelastwords. I mean how many times can you post the same thing before getting bored?.

Its so tedious that you can't hit the ignore button?

He responded to me, cry less and complain to him might be in order.

The war is over, Xbox as a Hardware going forward is about as relevant as my Microsoft Lumia 640.

Last edited:
Because the soccer mom's son will be explaining to her that the "new" Xbox NXT is the weaker 5.5 TF Lockhart version that's the upgrade (it just doesn't do 4K). Yet I guess sometimes it would do 4K on some indie games.....maybe?

Yeah, little Jimmy is throwing TFlops at his mom. It will be as simple as the S an X variants, Jimmy will just say that the X is more powerful. But who knows, maybe the S will do limited 4k with less effects and the X will do 4k with 8k up-scaling.

So how much RAM will be in this weaker Xbox NXT Lockhart? Will it be the same as Anaconda? Will the two console boxes be the same size?
Most likely 12GB-16GB

Didn't Microsoft say a year ago that Halo Infinite will NOT be a Play Anywhere game and it's exclusive to Xbox?
No, they said every exclusive will be play-anywhere.

Last edited:
Okay so it's not exclusive to Xbox. That's good. But that tweet doesn't say it's a Play Anywhere title. Which at the end of the day, if it's not now it will be soon enough.
Not the console, no. But you will need to have a gamertag, so.. exclusive the Xbox platform. If it's in the Windows store, I'd say play-anywhere would be available there.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

No idea why you keep talking about a “war”. I said consumers will get a choice and they will. Nothing you’ve said has or can rebut that simple fact.

Codes 208

Ill settle for rereleases of the biggest games, lile they did on ps4 with ps3 games
Id prefer if they just made a boost mode for current gen titles ala BC so that way devs can focus on making *new* games.

For example: do we really need another remaster of skyrim?

Top Bottom