• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tier 2 Xbox One launch: retail stories

br3wnor

Kinda off topic, but your English is very impressive, grats*

*From an American who cannot speak any foreign languages

Here in Chile was launched with a horrendous price. (compared to ps4 at launch) at least in retail stores.It went witouth notice this launch.

But, the small stores were selling them since last year (and at better prices)

Usobuko

Banned
I think China would be Xbox One's best hope in Asia. It's quite obvious Japan doesn't care, and Southeast Asia is pretty much PS region.

With strong cultural influences from both Taiwan and Hong Kong, I doubt so. They are also much much more receptive to Japan/Korea/Anime (w/e the term is) aesthetics than Western countries.

I think both PS4 and Xbox One are not going to live up to expectations but I can't see Xbox One doing better than PS4 in China.

CLEEK

Have any of the MS regional heads/PR folks made any comments about projected sales for the tier 2 countries?

With strong cultural influences from both Taiwan and Hong Kong, I doubt so. They are also much much more receptive to Japan/Korea/Anime (w/e the term is) aesthetics than Western countries.

This is the thing that most people don't realise of the SEA/Chinese Asian market is that we're pretty much the hybrid of Japan and the west in terms of cultural influences.

We love our anime "bullshit" melodramatic games just as much as the Assassin Creed and CoDs. We've always responded well and have no cultural shock towards what the western markets see as icky or out of touch.

You just need to look at how games are designed and marketed in China as an example. It's pretty much a lot of "anime" style art and there's also a lot of T&A involved.

Jomjom

Banned
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the actual lack of retail stories being posted.

Yeah I don't think there are actually many people going to the retail stores and even less of those people who are going are actually part of GAF.

kudoboi

nobody i know here in Singapore gives a shit about the xbox one. its either PS4 or PC for them.... which is weird because im pretty sure last gen xbox 360 was more popular here than PS3

nobody i know here in Singapore gives a shit about the xbox one. its either PS4 or PC for them.... which is weird because im pretty sure last gen xbox 360 was more popular here than PS3

How many of them bought it Jailbroken?

Because 360's penetration into the surrounding markets has everything to do with it being the pirates console of choice.

bedlamite

To be fair MS hasn't exactly started drumming up their hype machine yet...they do have less than 3 weeks though. The Starhub/MS TV tie-up might be the wildcard here, if the service is any good I could see the mainstream getting Xboxes for living room usage with some light gaming on the side. Of course this also means people will be waiting for the inevitable XB1 "freebie" giveaway for SH recontracts.

Caddle

The ps3 didn't beqt the 360 why do people keep posting this shit, without any evidence to back it up. Last official number the 360 was winning.

I'm just happy it's finally going to be over with so people can end the hilarious talking point of "well it's not out in all these other countries that are literally a collective blip on the radar for any Microsoft console this go around so therefore the gap isn't really as big as it seems."

I'm glad the system will finally be "officially" out for those in these countries, ya'll can get proper support now for the systems. If you imported the systems, you can load in the appropriate languages for Kinect and whatnot too now, right?
I was surprised how much I still saw this on various forums...

I think the main difference here though, is that both consoles are very very similar, and it isn't some massive exodus to the "other box" like say if Apple suddenly makes a horrible product and now everyone wants a Samsung. Previously, everyone and there mamma had a PS2, so for the next best gaming system to be 360, it was something new and different and word-of-mouth along with marketing had to take place. Also, it was just a much different experience, 360 felt very much like a gaming box, with PS3 felt like an entertainment system with it's heavy price-tag, media playback and basic OS.

PS4/X1 IMO are just both trying to do the same thing after MS 180. No reason to get both unless you have some nice disposable income, and I think that's the big factor here, X1 is a "me too" device, because fans rejected it's original identity.

The ps3 didn't beqt the 360 why do people keep posting this shit, without any evidence to back it up. Last official number the 360 was winning.
No, actually PS3 hardware is on top from a few sites I believe...

Either way, 360 smashed PS3 in U.S sales, and Sony made up for those with sales from other territories. More software also sold on 360 and MS probably made more money with Live subscriptions despite RROD fiasco.

They are very close, but realistically, 360 "won" last gen if excluding Wii. I don't think it really matters if Sony pulls out another 5 million more units than X360, they loss a ton of market share and because of there mistakes, ushered in another competitor they likely could have dominated.

dafuq.....?

Look at his post history

Either way, 360 smashed PS3 in U.S sales, and Sony made up for those with sales from other territories. More software also sold on 360 and MS probably made more money with Live subscriptions despite RROD fiasco.

They are very close, but realistically, 360 "won" last gen if excluding Wii. I don't think it really matters if Sony pulls out another 5 million more units than X360, they loss a ton of market share and because of there mistakes, ushered in another competitor they likely could have dominated.

Yeah, it depends on if "winning" is who sold the most consoles, who made the most profit, who sold the most software, etc. I think MS has sold more software, while Sony has sold more hardware.

kudoboi

How many of them bought it Jailbroken?

Because 360's penetration into the surrounding markets has everything to do with it being the pirates console of choice.

its almost impossible to find one here due to the strict laws. there are no stores in Singapore that i know of that even sells any pirated games or dvds.

i guess if someone wanted to he could probably go to malaysia to get one though.

twdnewh_k

In the UAE they are including Fifa 15, Forza 5, Halo Spartan Assault and 2 other smaller digital games.

It is a nice bundle considering they are 1 year late here, but sadly, the kinect-less bundle is slightly more expensive than a Ps4. I found that surprising considering they will be playing catch up.

Vestax

Banned
Why, as consumers, are we obligated to treat anything equally?

I was thinking the same thing...

Offer me something compelling, and I'll respond accordingly. Offer me some subpar, and I'll respond accordingly. It's all about the product.

kudoboi

In the UAE they are including Fifa 15, Forza 5, Halo Spartan Assault and 2 other smaller digital games.

It is a nice bundle considering they are 1 year late here, but sadly, the kinect-less bundle is slightly more expensive than a Ps4. I found that surprising considering they will be playing catch up.

wow that is indeed a nice bundle. the one in singapore is horrible.

10574306_10152834778357454_1796613563386633793_n.png

Loooool wut

Do you even realize what you're saying? How can a hardware advantage "lessen" over time? The same hardware advantage for the PS4 over the X1 will remain forever. Software can attempt to mask it, but the advantage will never go away.

And I'd say Sony selling a more powerful console at the same price is the biggest advantage by far out of everything you listed.
Gnomes and leprechauns.
The hardware advantage is not lessening, that is impossible unless you think leprechauns came to switch out the compenents inside while you were sleeping.
edit: I was right, I checked both google and wikipedia and there is no such thing as microsoft leprechauns or microsoft gnomes.
Checkmate.
GODDAMMIT.

It's a short drive to JB.

Rofl. JB's always been the abode of Singaporeans looking for a cheap thrill before going back to the perfect authoritarian state where you can't do shiet. Cheap petrol, cheap food, and cheap and plenty pirated games and movies.

Which reminds me, did Malaysia ever get a release date for the damn thing? X360s were quite popular over there, afaik.

Which reminds me, did Malaysia ever get a release date for the damn thing? X360s were quite popular over there, afaik.

No.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's because a large part of our sales are actually Singapore releases.

We've always been stingy and prefer to pay less for foreign models compared to our local releases.

Nokterian

Wait this is going to be released in the netherlands in 2 days a year later? I mean i need to repost this the irony of this that the distrubition center is for all EU country's is in the netherlands in eindhoven. And most people i know who did bought a xbone they bought it from germany there stock is overflowing.

le.phat

Very definitive there chap, since all the 180's the only real thing PS4 has on XB1 is the hardware advantage which is lessening as time goes on (games hitting 1080p on XB1 more often). Other than that it's friends, price, OS, exclusives, controller ect which determine which is better (which is entirely opinion).

Well, i guess most gamers find the ps4 better in those regards then, no ?
By the way, how is a hardware advantage lessening ?

I think China would be Xbox One's best hope in Asia. It's quite obvious Japan doesn't care, and Southeast Asia is pretty much PS region.

I'm not sure why many have come up with this conclusion. The only reason 360 sold well in China because of piracy. 360 was big in SEA early in its life when PS3 hadn't been hacked yet.

MauroNL

Wow 3 pages in and 5 or 6 actual interesting posts, great guys. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hoping to see some non-joke stories from the Japan launch today.

I'm not sure why many have come up with this conclusion. The only reason 360 sold well in China because of piracy. 360 was big in SEA early in its life when PS3 hadn't been hacked yet.

Even after the PS3 got hacked, it has no real difference.

Because Bluray was a major hurdle that prevented pirate retailers from selling burned games like they easily can with 360, Wii and PC.

tiong_fi

In Finland the import version of the console has been available through GameStop and some major electronics chains (plus nearly all gaming related online shops) for months now, so no-one is even bothering to host a midnight launch event for the official version. And apparently the official Kinect version of the console is even getting delayed by a couple of weeks due to "manufacturing issues" (according to one retailer)...

Footos22

Interesting and thanks for sharing.

I really hope the Xbone recovers. I did not like it at all when it was announced and at launch but with the changes and frequent updates I really like it now. I have my own and just ordered another for my brother's birthday. Whether anyone else likes it or not, Sony does seem to need more competition than they've been getting this generation so they start performing better - the gaming is good but otherwise my PS4 feels very spartan.

leonidas-o.gif

SgtCobra

Here you have my anecdotal experience regarding this subject:

In the city where I live in The Netherlands we have like 60000 inhabitants and 4 shops who sell consoles.

They all combined have 6 Xbox One pre orders.

They used to sell imported Xbox One's here though, but I haven't seen one of those since April.

Later today (or tomorrow) I'll visit another city which is much bigger and see how the pre orders are/were over there (if I get the chance)

YoodlePro

Very definitive there chap, since all the 180's the only real thing PS4 has on XB1 is the hardware advantage which is lessening as time goes on (games hitting 1080p on XB1 more often). Other than that it's friends, price, OS, exclusives, controller ect which determine which is better (which is entirely opinion)

People always say this. Why?

You take this scenario as a vacuum, saying that the the hardware advantage is lessening because the Xbox is making improvements.

Well PS4 is making improvements as well so the gap will still be there. And besides hardware gaps can't be closed (please don't quote ps3 and 360 as they were completely different architecture), PS4 has the better gpu, and it is a fact.

Hanmik

This is Denmark, they are launching here tomorrow.

here is the official twitter acount.

iUyKnQT.jpg

here is the official Facebook account.

cjSMMX8.jpg

and here is Playstations twitter.

8Vww9Cz.jpg

and their facebook..

K0J77hX.jpg

it´s like Microsoft isn´t even trying..

Quasar

I'm not really convinced China will help either of them that much, with the entrenched PC gaming audience there.

scoobs

You take this scenario as a vacuum, saying that the the hardware advantage is lessening because the Xbox is making improvements.

Well PS4 is making improvements as well so the gap will still be there. And besides hardware gaps can't be closed (please don't quote ps3 and 360 as they were completely different architecture), PS4 has the better gpu, and it is a fact.
Nope PS4 can't improve, not possible without future proof dx12 compatible hardware

Microsoft has decided to go Amazon exclusive with the Xbone in my country. The system will literally not be available at any retail stores. Well not officially anyway.

This is going to be interesting.

the fuck...in the entire country?!

I'm interested in the backstory of this. Is Amazon the most popular store there or something?

Miles X

It is, you're right. It's also a very small factor now in why people should chose it over XB1. It certainly shouldn't trump what exclusives you prefer, where your friends play or which OS/experience you better enjoy.

the fuck...in the entire country?!

I'm interested in the backstory of this. Is Amazon the most popular store there or something?

Nope,Flipkart is pretty competitive. I don't know who's better on the granular level, but Amazon is a newcomer into e-commerce in India.

And foregoing retail in India is foolish. I guess it doesn't matter since India is not a big console market relative to its population, but it's not the right move.

Based on what data? MS has never released any software numbers for X360. Based on data we have seen from major publishers fiscal reports software sales were rather similar between X360 and PS3.

Top Bottom