• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert talk about Adventure Games [VIDEO]

tCp90.gif

cj_iwakura

Kind of hoping they talk about the new Telltale games and what they think about 'new' adventure games. (It's great so far.)

alba

Little is the new Big
Go Ron! Full 2D will be awesome. I just finished watching all of it and I loved it. I think the documentary will be just as much if not cooler than the game :D

Midou

I'm glad ron gilbert mentioned he was against pixel hunting, it's about my only complaint about older games.

"we should use an existing gameplay engine"
While a disclaimer says "this was filmed when the budget was expected to be 300k, now that it's 2M+ we're rethinking our plans"

I really hope they make a brand new engine and not copy someone elses.

Midou

"we should use an existing gameplay engine"
While a disclaimer says "this was filmed when the budget was expected to be 300k, now that it's 2M+ we're rethinking our plans"

I really hope they make a brand new engine and not copy someone elses.

A new engine that could hopefully re-open adventure market and get more people to make adventure games with it.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm getting a little confused now. Is Ron Gilbert working on the game? It seems like he is, but I've read elsewhere that he's not.

And the game has to, has to, has to be 2D with that artist he mentioned.

FoneBone

I'm getting a little confused now. Is Ron Gilbert working on the game? It seems like he is, but I've read elsewhere that he's not.

He might be advising in some capacity, but he's said on twitter that the Kickstarter game isn't the project that he's been working on since he joined Double Fine (and for which he's posted some concept art on his blog). That's separate.

maus

Damn right these guys better re-evaluate a few things about this game they're making, they've raised seven times their estimated budget! Gilbert still seems pretty impassioned and opinionated about adventure game design given his lack of interest in new games.

I think the two REALLY underestimated the potential of a new classic adventure game(s) with two of the most recognizable names behind it, tons of people grew up on those games and the internet is quite loud these days.

Chuck

Still without luck
He might be advising in some capacity, but he's said on twitter that the Kickstarter game isn't the project that he's been working on since he joined Double Fine (and for which he's posted some concept art on his blog). That's separate.

He'll have input, but it's not the game he's working with Double Fine on.
Oh ok, thanks. Maybe he'll work on the sequel. ;D

i find it ironic that ron and tim were talking about puzzles that makes you just lose your cool and walk away in order to figure it out. I played Grim Fandango in 98 and i couldn't get pass the balloon animal puzzle, it infuriated me that i couldn't get it. It took me in college with proper internet to get pass that puzzle, because i cheated =D

Discovering that Amy Briggs from Infocom was Ron's babysitter was pretty shocking (if it's true - you never know with those guys). I had never heard of it!

Watching this video has made me decide to up my pledge. Listening to this video has me ever more hyped for this project and I want to support it as much as I fiscally can.

Vire

While I enjoyed this video, Ron Gilbert certainly made no attempt to take his head out of his own ass. Constantly critiquing modern games while padding himself on the back for his work with Monkey Island. It's like dude... that was 20 years ago. What have you done lately?

Anyway, still worth watching for some wonderful insight.

Grimmy

Banned
Wonderful! More of these interviews please. How about one between Roberta Williams and Jane Jensen?

One nitpick - Ron Gilbert criticizing illogical puzzles - especially inventories that you have before you encounter why you'd need to use it. Ugh, MI2? Remember?

Corto

While I enjoyed this video, Ron Gilbert certainly made no attempt to take his head out of his own ass. Constantly critiquing modern games while padding himself on the back for his work with Monkey Island. It's like dude... that was 20 years ago. What have you done lately?

Anyway, still worth watching for some wonderful insight.

I understood his opinions/critiques more like a nostalgic response to the current video games industry panorama. As for the smugness some people have the right to use it. Ron is one of them.

Nimajneb

This was really entertaining. The game could just be Tim Schafer talking for two hours, and it would be the best game of the year.

Great interview, with two greats in one room. 2-Player better do a lot more of these for the DFA, even if they aren't as long.

"Like a Magical Soup Stone!"

inky

Very cool talk. "Maybe we can trick the backers into making the game for us" hehehe, I'm sure that would work.

Definitely loved that Magical Soup Stone story. I think I had a variation of it called Beef Stew as a kid.

No complaints here if this entire project is a fraud. "Tim Schafer took money from me for no particular product or service in exchange." *High Fives*

My problem ultimately with point and click adventure games was the moon logic solutions that would need to be applied to something as simple as opening a door. It always felt like a very limiting frustration and not something that should be celebrated. A better way would be to have multiple solutions to some of the more obtuse puzzles in which you can get past it by solving it in the most pragmatic way but you'd get some type of reward for solving it the crazy way.

Vire

I understood his opinions/critiques more like a nostalgic response to the current video games industry panorama. As for the smugness some people have the right to use it. Ron is one of them.

There's this thing called humility. He would certainly benefit from it.

There's plenty of examples of fine fine adventure games in the modern era. I just played Ghost Trick and Machinarium recently and enjoyed them both immensely.

I'm not discounting the amazing work that was done with the Monkey Island games, but come on - don't act like you are only one doing adventure games right. Especially since you haven't put out anything noteworthy in ten years.

Nonetheless, as I said it's still a great discussion and I hope they continue giving more personal insight.

decaf

Ron Gilbert's eyes throughout: "WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME. I DON'T CARE."

Edit: Not implying he doesn't care; of course I know how passionate he is. That's why his face cracks me up.

Aku-Audi

I just played Ghost Trick and Machinarium recently and enjoyed them both immensely.

He seems to share your enjoyment of it cause he gives it credit at around 19:35 in that video.

Absolutely loved listening to these 2 guys. Already donated but this made me even more excited that I already was.

Corto

The way he referred to the project in some instances "What engine will we use... We will use 2D... etc" (Edit: I'm paraphrasing a bit) made me understand that he does care, and that he is involved in some capacity in this specific project.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ho noes! I thought the project would finish at $2.2million, but now they'll RUIN that wager with the promise of sweet rewards and insightful, genuinely interesting videos. ;___;

I watched the whole thing. I think Ron Gilbert is spot-on with a lot of stuff. Tim is just so entertaining to listen to. I busted up with the "depending on how much you pay, you may either step 40 steps into the office, or to the kitchen, free soda"

No way. He seems very passionate and oddly precise in what he wants to do.

Top Bottom