• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Schafer on Psychonauts BC

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.doublefine.com/news.htm

psycho%20360.jpg

Omfg is right, kids. The Excellent game Psychonauts running on the XBOX 360 would be just about the coolest thing in the world, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, I don't know if it's ever going to happen. Whoa, did I just manipulate your emotions?

You know, I have an XBOX 360, and I love it. I love it so much. I wish I could spend every living moment of my life playing it. My wife and I have discussed it, and we've agreed to name our first child, "Geometry Wars." The only thing that could make my XBOX 360 any better is if it would just play this game we made called PSYCHONAUTS.

To this end, I called up the good people at Microsoft and said, "Hello friends. How is the emulator coming along? Will it ever run the Excellent game Psychonauts?"

"Believe us, we have top men working on it now," they said.

"You know, if it would help, we'd be willing to fly all our engineers up to Seattle, and they'd do all the programming! Or, they could just tell you exactly how our engine works, and we could probably get it running on the 360 in just a few hours!"

"TOP... MEN." Is all they said.

So I eagerly awaited this week's announcement of the next 21 games to work under the emulator, but when I saw it I was sad, even though I love Big Mutha Truckers.

So right now I want you to do two things. First, do a Google image search on the phrase, "Best XBOX Game of all Time." What is the first screenshot you see? (Okay, for me, it's Psychonauts. If you get different results, then your Google must be broken.) Clearly this is irrefutable, mathematical evidence that the very next game the Microsoft emulator team should be working on is Psychonauts!

Okay, here's the second thing: I want you to get up. I want you to walk over to your window right now. I want you to open your window up, and then I want you to stick your head out, and then I want you to take in a nice breath of fresh air, and then I want you to close that window and walk back to your computer and click on this link and send Microsoft a heartfelt message. Something to the effect of, "I am a 9-year-old boy in the hospital, dying of consumption, and my last wish is to play Psychonauts on my XBOX 360!" (Please, try to make up your own disease.)

And yes, that's a real email address! I got it off the Microsoft XBOX 360 Backwards Compatibility FAQ page! And you'll notice they say, "We read every e-mail sent to this address." So, watch your language!

While you wait for a response from them, you should do nothing but stare at the picture above and concentrate as hard as you can until you make make that picture come true with the power of your will! If this actually gives you consumption, then I am truly sorry. But please let me know, because we can use that to our advantage.

psycho%20warehouse.jpg

I said stare at the ABOVE picture. The one with the happy kids. For god's sake don't stare at this one! It's bad luck!

:lol Gotta love him.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
That was awesome. :lol

And, hell, it going BC would probably push me over the edge to finally getting it. :D

demi

He's gonna have to catch up to me, since I whipped up a script that sends out 25 emails daily to the Backwards Compatibility Team.

See you at the finish line, Timothy.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
demi said:
Eat shit, Tim.

I would really enjoy watching demi actually meet Tim.

Demi: "You're the reason Advent Rising failed!"

Tim: "Are you mentally unstable?"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Red Scarlet said:
Oops, I thought you were Tim Schafer.

Yea I regretted my forum tag the moment I chose it. I get PM's about that all the time. So yea, I'm not him, I'm just eternally his bitch.

demi

FlyinJ said:
I would really enjoy watching demi actually meet Tim.

Demi: "You're the reason Advent Rising failed!"

Tim: "Are you mentally unstable?"

Demi: "Are you a pedophile?"

it's all about the controller.
if you think at psychonauts, has great ideas, and on wii controller i could only dream about what tim can make with it..
so i repeat on wii please :)

SnakeXs

Schafer said:
Yea I regretted my forum tag the moment I chose it. I get PM's about that all the time. So yea, I'm not him, I'm just eternally his bitch.

An honorable deed nevertheless.

"You know, if it would help, we'd be willing to fly all our engineers up to Seattle, and they'd do all the programming! Or, they could just tell you exactly how our engine works, and we could probably get it running on the 360 in just a few hours!"

:lol :lol :lol

Mason

It's funny and everything but I don't get why he really cares. Does he sit around playing his own game all the time or something?

Manuel_Calavera said:
it's all about the controller.
if you think at psychonauts, has great ideas, and on wii controller i could only dream about what tim can make with it..
so i repeat on wii please :)

I don't believe you. Grim Fandango only runs in 640x480 due to it's use of pre-rendered backgrounds and you obviously think there is something special about 480p and that every game should run that way. You can't fool me. Your avatar reveals your standard-definition bias.

"Believe us, we have top men working on it now," they said.

When will Microsoft stop overdelivering? When? :)

8bit

Knows the Score
demi said:
He's gonna have to catch up to me, since I whipped up a script that sends out 25 emails daily to the Backwards Compatibility Team.

See you at the finish line, Timothy.

Please share your script. I am willing to tag team hate from Euroland.

pr0cs

his developers would be of very little value to Microsoft in this regard.

instead it would be nice for them to redevelop and re-release Psychonaughts for the 360.
I would imagine the 360 version would sell a lot better considering how much positive press the original title got and how few copies it sold.

Mason said:
It's funny and everything but I don't get why he really cares. Does he sit around playing his own game all the time or something?

If you were a girl you'd play with your boobs all the time, right?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Omfg, I image searched Best XBOX Game of all Time and the first image IS Psychonauts. XD

Long live Tim.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
demi said:
Will you help me Googlebomb? I think it's time we removed that first image.

Yeah, but then JADE EMPIRE will be the first image... do we really want that?

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't believe you. Grim Fandango only runs in 640x480 due to it's use of pre-rendered backgrounds and you obviously think there is something special about 480p and that every game should run that way. You can't fool me. Your avatar reveals your standard-definition bias.

gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>graphics

and yes 480p for teh wiin :D

well it's still better than nothing :)

edit.. i always forget to make quotes :D

Demi if it's any consolation I'm getting Advent Rising along with Psychonauts for the PC. So I can have my cake and eat it. Sort of.

/walks out of the room

SnakeXs

_leech_ said:
Gameplay + Graphics >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Just gameplay.

Unapplicable since here there's a direct trade.

Graphical power for unique, broader gameplay elements, that matter to a unique game like Psychonauts.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Just think, Tim. Had you released Psychonauts on the GameCube your game would be completely playable on the Wii, which might be the best selling (and certainly the most affordable) console of this next generation. Instead, you chose to ignore it and even posted some smarmy insults about it on your website.

Sucks to be you.

Here Be Dragons

Email sent, Tim. <3

VideoMan said:
Just think, Tim. Had you released Psychonauts on the GameCube your game would be completely playable on the Wii, which might be the best selling (and certainly the most affordable) console of this next generation. Instead, you chose to ignore it and even posted some smarmy insults about it on your website.

Sucks to be you.

So Nintendo would have funded Psychonauts? Wow, learn something new everyday.

VideoMan said:

Sucks to be you.

I can't believe people are still on him about the Gamecube thing....it was a damn joke, not "insults", i love how some hardcore N-fans still take it so seriously...

Unison

VideoMan said:

Sucks to be you.

:lol

Mason said:

Maybe because he thinks that the game he and his team spent several years making should be played (and bought) by gamers for years to come rather than just be forgotten in a few months?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Then he should promote the PC version, since this will never be BC'd.

stressboy

pr0cs said:
his developers would be of very little value to Microsoft in this regard.

instead it would be nice for them to redevelop and re-release Psychonaughts for the 360.
I would imagine the 360 version would sell a lot better considering how much positive press the original title got and how few copies it sold.

Seeing as how I see copies of it sitting on store shelves now, I doubt it.

Sad too. It definitely is one of my favorite xbox games.

I have to agree with the first result of 'The Best Game of All Time" image search. But, the other two not so much.

RIIIIDGE RAAACCCEEEER!

Top Bottom