• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timberwolf |OT| Get ur indie ass in here! (Free for GAF!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Another day, another update:

Majority of the day was spent practicing for the live show, blowing a reed in my harmonica, trying to find a good sized desk for my laptop on stage, and sending out blog release after blog release after blog release. I've logged about 32 different blogs emailed over the past three days and not a single answer . . but I'm determined. I will get at least one reply!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Welcome to my world, fid. I hope it gets easier for you haha. Btw, will this be your first live performance or just your first performance after recording/releasing Timberwolf?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Welcome to my world, fid. I hope it gets easier for you haha. Btw, will this be your first live performance or just your first performance after recording/releasing Timberwolf?

Mainly just the first Timberwolf show. I've been playing since highschool, though my last real show was opening for a friend in Nashville a while ago.

And I'm hoping it gets easier too, man. One step at a time.

I've really enjoyed the album. You have a very good sense of melody. My only critique is that I think you sometimes over-arrange your songs. I think Into the Woods, Night 2 would be a better song without the second guitar track. Even so, Congratulations.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I've really enjoyed the album. You have a very good sense of melody. My only critique is that I think you sometimes over-arrange your songs. I think Into the Woods, Night 2 would be a better song without the second guitar track. Even so, Congratulations.

Yeah, probably the most common criticism so far. Even at my most minimalistic on the album, I always fall back on just packing ear to ear with sounds.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Tonights the night!

LiveAtTheRose-StoneRoseLA_EMAIL.jpg

If anyone has any questions about deets, feel free to PM me. I go on around 9:30.

Desiato

Well, I'm liking it so far. Pasted a link to your soundcloud on someone's Facebook wall who I'm sure will really dig your music.

God damn I CANNOT stop listening to "I'm Fine Without You". First it was Winchester, now this song. This album is really great man, the only track I tend to skip is Into The Woods, I think I need to be in a certain mood for that one.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Man, this album is retardedly good. I can't stop listening to it. I hope you're up on Last.FM so I can get my scrobble on here soon, since I've just been listening on my phone the whole time.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Show went over really, really well as far as I've heard! I will update tomorrow with a barrage of terribly shaky phone-cams and pictures, and reply to all who have listened, but for now I must sleep!

I just saw this get tweeted too.

@shannareznick said:
Rocking a dell computer on stage is a cool style #timberwolf

XD

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I wanna know how it went!!!

It went really, really well I think. Great reception and every seemed to have a real blast.

Oh god, Eternal Sunshine is fantastic. Dat violin. Sent this to a couple friends who really liked it.

You should send this into Pitchfork. No, I'm serious! Not for their review. It's totally possible they'd would give it a bad review (why anyone would though is beyond me). The reason I'm saying is that you could get a lot more people to find out about the album! http://pitchfork.com/contact/ They let you send in albums to review. If you already did, my bad, just trying to help spread the word. :p

I've sent it in though I doubt I'll hear anything back. I'm not sure how rigorous they are with what has to be a massive back catalog of unsolicited material. Hell, I doubt they really review unsolicited material at all. Not too worried about it though, it'll happen when it's supposed to.

Listening now, so far digging it. Good job man.

Thanks dude!

Just got back from his show. It was really awesome. LA-GAF should come out to the next one.

For those interested, I'm planning a much different, acoustic only house show in three weeks or so I think. Drinks, merriment and bbq probably will be included. :)

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Man, this album is retardedly good. I can't stop listening to it. I hope you're up on Last.FM so I can get my scrobble on here soon, since I've just been listening on my phone the whole time.

I am definitely. It's crazy to see the amount of plays it's getting more and more . . warms my heart!

I honestly didn't expect this to be as good as it is.

You make me super jealous because, as a guy who records music in his bedroom, I would love to make stuff half as good as this.

You really do have a great voice for this style of music and I wish you the best luck touring!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I honestly didn't expect this to be as good as it is.

You make me super jealous because, as a guy who records music in his bedroom, I would love to make stuff half as good as this.

You really do have a great voice for this style of music and I wish you the best luck touring!

Thanks man. I'm sometimes surprised at how much I can pull out of a single mic and my bedroom, though it definitely has its limitations.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
!Update 2/26

Biggest thing happening today is the official website is almost done! Looks absolutely slick and I can't wait for it to be done. I'm getting music videos written and into production too . . they're going to be great (I hope).

out of curiosity, how do you limit the plastic sound of the pick hitting the strings? Right now that is my biggest issue in getting the acoustic sound I'm looking for but the mic picks up the picks (oh ho) like no other.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
out of curiosity, how do you limit the plastic sound of the pick hitting the strings? Right now that is my biggest issue in getting the acoustic sound I'm looking for but the mic picks up the picks (oh ho) like no other.

I'd obviously have no idea myself, but maybe pick thickness plays a role? That or how you're positioning the mic, I'd suspect.

I'd obviously have no idea myself, but maybe pick thickness plays a role? That or how you're positioning the mic, I'd suspect.

I use fairly thick picks (i'm weird and I tend to use a Jazz III with my acoustic) and it wasn't until i got my new mics that they seemed to get picked up a lot. I usually place the mic around the 12th fret but it doesn't seem to help that.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

I'm not sure exactly, but I played with sound placement of the mic for a while with a lot of terrible sounding results until something kind of . . clicked. I really do stay to the 12th fret, a bit away from the neck micing, even relative to having a capo on there. Maybe moving the mic away and bumping the level a bit?

I also do a bit of EQ'ing to tweak the final of the guitar tracks to my liking. I know in My Life In A Cave, I didn't realize how bright and twangy (in a really disgusting way to my ears) I had recorded it, so I brought it down some and things like that. If anything ever stuck out to me as annoying I most likely tweaked it and it may be a result of that.

It probably does. I've been using the same "medium" fender pics for years now. Hate light and thick sounds muddy.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So, I've put up some craigslist postings and put it in the LA thread, but I'm currently looking for about 3 violinists and 1 cellosit to play with me. If anyone knows someone who might be interested, or are interested yourself, please don't hesitate to call.

Oh, and did I mention the website is up? You can contact me through there or twitter or here. Thank you!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
It looks as if I've been averaging about 1,000 plays a week on the soundcloud since Timberwolf was put uploaded. That's pretty incredible to me, saying as how I barely had 300 plays each on the demos I had before.

Puddles

Banned
Open G is such a goddamn fun tuning. DGDGAD is also pretty cool, although that 2nd string gets a little weird with lead parts.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Open G is such a goddamn fun tuning. DGDGAD is also pretty cool, although that 2nd string gets a little weird with lead parts.

It really, really is. My dad's favorite apparently, though I only discovered it by tuning that A down randomly one day and it went from there. He recognized it in a second though when I played him So It Seems for the first time and just had this look of everything has come full circle, haha.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
!Update 3/5

Currently working on: Music Videos (Old Soul is at 35% done, Eternal Sunshine/Winchester/My Life In A Cave are all in pre-production), a surprise remix w/ video, a "songs from the cave" acoustic live show and now email fighting with cdbaby about iTunes. Aww, the hard life.

I've also hit almost 10,000 soundcloud plays . . to moving up and on!

Wads

Banned
!Update 2/28

Official website is up!

What do you think? I'm rather proud.

And with added new picture . .

"My Life In A Cave"

425495_637499609346_83504672_31890307_195521915_n.jpg

Nice looking site, but generally speaking I typically close any website that automatically starts playing content on me. I'm sure others do the same. I will give your stuff more of a listen. Sounds good from what I have heard so far. Best of luck!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Nice looking site, but generally speaking I typically close any website that automatically starts playing content on me. I'm sure others do the same. I will give your stuff more of a listen. Sounds good from what I have heard so far. Best of luck!

Yeah, still debating that one. People do it for a reason, but I'm generally in the same boat as you are with hating it. My website guy fought for it so I kept it for now.

Thanks for checking it out though, hopefully you like the music!

Yeah, still debating that one. People do it for a reason, but I'm generally in the same boat as you are with hating it. My website guy fought for it so I kept it for now.

Thanks for checking it out though, hopefully you like the music!

Def feeling the two songs you linked, the vocals on the second song are really dope man and the vibe is a breath of fresh air. Played life in a cave twice! If you ever want to work with a fellow gaffer let me know, I've done / am doing production for some hip hop notables, but dabble in a bit of every genre.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Good job, this Winchester is going straight into the cars playlist. Getting a broken social scene vibe, were they an influence at all?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Def feeling the two songs you linked, the vocals on the second song are really dope man and the vibe is a breath of fresh air. Played life in a cave twice! If you ever want to work with a fellow gaffer let me know, I've done / am doing production for some hip hop notables, but dabble in a bit of every genre.

Hell yeah dude, I'm doing a remix right now, would always love to collab and do more. Any time I can stick a "TIMBERWOLF" on it is good enough for me. Thanks for listening.

Good job, this Winchester is going straight into the cars playlist. Getting a broken social scene vibe, were they an influence at all?

Definitely in more of a round about way, they're not who I would chose specifically but most artists in their realm of music (a TON of who I would list as an influence)/ my favorites would probably list them as an influence.

red731

Listening to your music for the first time now, in the morning, at a work and I can tell that this day will be wonderful.

Thumbs up Fidelis and good luck pursuing your dreams! Beautiful music!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Listening to your music for the first time now, in the morning, at a work and I can tell that this day will be wonderful.

Thumbs up Fidelis and good luck pursuing your dreams! Beautiful music!

Thank you!!

And in other news . .

420411_640440999776_83504672_31897411_884031500_n.jpg

Pandora: MISSION ACCEPTED

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Meeting with the first of a couple violinists today for hopefully some live collaboration. Eternal Sunshine, take away show style is the plan. It will happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom