• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

MercuryLS

Banned
Anyone who says "Wii U is powerful enough" should be forced to include PS3 and Xbox 360 in their comparisons. Both of which are inexpensive, with robust libraries full of exclusives.

Nintendo is stuck in a weird place, you'v got PS3/XB360 with vast libraries of titles for all ages and you've got PS4/XB1 at the high end with all the big titles now and in the future. Lots of kids are playing on tablets and phones too so that eats into Nintendo's strong base that they used to have a lock on. Very few people want to buy a Nintendo console for just Nintendo games and I don't blame them one bit, they've painted themselves into this very small niche.

It doesn't mean that the machine isn't great with a handful of fantastic games, but I am not the least bit shocked that it's been completely ignored by the wider market. There are simply better deals for the late adopters and the early adopters that want a machine with a wide variety of titles and support.

The Wii U, more than any Nintendo console, is a console for people that fans of Nintendo games. I haven't seen a Nintendo console before with such poor 3rd party support, it's kinda shocking.

oneils

wait, wii u has sold 7 million units? huh.

Good for you Nintendo. I'm really tempted to pick one up, but I am really only interested in mario kart.

Rubius

Good lord USA and Canda, the fuck do you people have floodlights?

It's colder here so we have to heat more often than the USA. Canada include Inuit villages too. When it reach -38 celcius here without the wind factor, it's important to have some good heating.

conman

Crazy to see people just pop into this thread to crap on people who like the Wii U.

I pretty much agree with the piece. Not all of those reasons are good ones, but the overall sentiment rings true--especially for those of us with a PC.

OmegaDL50

I own a Wii U and I love the small library of great games I have for it.

SM3DW, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1+2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, NSMBU, Mario Kart 8, and Nintendoland.

But I'll be honest, the TIME article posted in the op is pretty much laughable filled with a bunch of reasons that did not compel me from buying the Wii U.

I wanted the Wii U because it's only way I'll ever be able to play a current gen version console Nintendo franchises.

Nintendo's brand of titles is compelling to me and is good enough reason for me to put the money down and buying one.

Just the same the Playstation 4 will prove it's worth when I get Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and eventually Gran Turismo 7.

When it comes to 3rd party strength I have my PS4, but I also have a Nintendo console to get Nintendo's own specific breed of fun games.

To borrow what someone told me 4 years ago.

"You can have the most powerful console hardware in the world but it all amounts to nothing if you don't have a decent library of fun and enjoyable games. A console is only as good as the quality games it has in it's library to support it."

Liberty4all

Banned
The Wii U is an amazing compliment to one's PS4, especially since online on the Wii U is free.

As the system has an extra year of development it has multiple killer exclusives out today the vast majority of which are first party. Those exclusives are from revered IP's. It offers some of the best platforming experiences available as well as touching on most other genres.

Look I'm a HUGE PlayStation fan but it's not hard to see why Nintendo is being talked about on GAF a lot lately. SMB 3D, MK 8, Smash, Windwalker, DK TF, Pikimin, Bayonetta 2, NSMB WII U, Zombie U, Legoland, ....

With that said I feel that one's primary gaming machine should be a PS4 or PC. While third party output is putting out decent stuff right now the PS3 proved that Sony is capable of truly iconic first/second party games ... And lots of them. Just like last gen though it takes time and both the Xbone and ps4 are a year behind Nintendo.

The PS4/Wii U combo is a winning combination right now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's colder here so we have to heat more often than the USA. Canada include Inuit villages too. When it reach -38 celcius here without the wind factor, it's important to have some good heating.

Fair enough then, It was just strange to me EU crack down and personal effort to reduce my energy consumption and then you figures like that in the USA and your like why, does no one give a fuck?

1) Nintendo always has the best first party games, every generation, since 1980s. They always deliver the best games albeit at a pace not many are satisfied with.

2) Couch co-op is still the best way to play games and Nintendo is the only first-party company still making couch co-op games consistently.

3) Off-TV gaming/Remote Play is one of the few actual next-gen features. Granted, the PS4 has this as well, but requires a ~$150-200 accessory to accomplish it. Wii-U does it right out of the box - though, arguably not as well as the PS4-Vita since you can't remote play over the internet (which is amazing for sneaking in some gaming at work).

4) There are now enough games to warrant the purchase of a Wii-U (Smash, Hyrule, Bayonetta, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Monster Hunter, etc.). There arguably are not enough first-party exclusive games to warrant the purchase of a PS4 or Xbone right now.

5) There are a ton of amazing first party titles coming down the line (Captain Toad, Kirby, Yoshi, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Mario Party, Mario Maker, etc.).

6) It's the only system with backwards compatibility at the moment. And a ton of those old games are still amazing today because #1 and #2.

7) Even with the Black Friday deals, it's still the cheapest console (but only barely).

8) It's the only system with free online play.

That's pretty much it.

But what if I want to play real games and not baby games for babies?

I'm tired of these fanboys pushing their pro-Nintendo agenda on Us once every few days. We get it, you're upset about NPDs and want Us to validate your alternative lifestyle. Call me when you can play all of the amazing Sony exclusives on your underpowered baby box.

Thank God we have real grown ups to inspire serious discourse on the subject. I can't imagine a more nuanced adult criticism than "Nintendo is for babiez, LOL!" Incidentally, I plan to thoroughly enjoy Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow curse between diaper changes.

ironcreed

Banned
The PS4 and Xbox One are like a steak dinner and having the Wii U with them is like having a fine wine to compliment the meal. That said, the wine can still be good on it's own for some. But it's always best to have it with a good meal, if you can.

Very Very stupid stuff here. I will only address number 11 for now.

You should buy the Wii U because it has less features. I mean... Really?!?

NotLiquid

I can't really get upset about the article, probably because I mostly agree with it. It even makes the point that Wii U would serve as the best secondary console when all is said and done (though I've sworn off a PS4/XBO since my PC is filling that void pretty well for now), with the point being that it's never been a better time to actually buy it.

For fun, here's the cost of each console's yearly online added to their average yearly energy cost.

• PS4: Online: 50$ Energy Cost $~22 Total: $~72/year
  • Xbone: Online: 60$ Energy Cost $~27 Total: $~87/year
  • Wii U: Online: Free Energy Cost $4.44 Total: $~5/year

Funnily enough Time didn't even add the 'free online experience' of the Wii U to their list. They could've had 14 reasons!! Lo and behold.

Very Very stupid stuff here. I will only address number 11 for now.

You should buy the Wii U because it has less features. I mean... Really?!?

Some gamers like me don't purchase a console to watch TV or Movies, if you believe it or not but there are gamers who buy a console for what its made for, and this is to play awesome games ;) But this is only my opinion ;)

Crazy to see people just pop into this thread to crap on people who like the Wii U.

1BTqVPL.jpg

Gears

The surprising thing is that for the wiiu, I haven't been dissapointed by a single title I've gotten, which I think is every first party game so far. Even hyrule warriors surprised me. But in the end its not about the hardware, its about the games :D

I pretty much agree with the piece. Not all of those reasons are good ones, but the overall sentiment rings true--especially for those of us with a PC.

People are crapping on the stupid logic of the article. All these "The Wii U is great" arguments go like this:

Please ignore the collective consumer choice to not buy the Wii U because I like Nintendo games.

The fact is unless you have a poll or some other data to back you up, your own person preference doesn't matter when talking about market trends. If your definitive assertion about the broader market is based around some version of "Because I...", then stop. Just stop.

1) Nintendo always has the best first party games, every generation, since 1980s. They always deliver the best games albeit at a pace not many are satisfied with.

2) Couch co-op is still the best way to play games and Nintendo is the only first-party company still making couch co-op games consistently.

3) Off-TV gaming/Remote Play is one of the few actual next-gen features. Granted, the PS4 has this as well, but requires a ~$150-200 accessory to accomplish it. Wii-U does it right out of the box - though, arguably not as well as the PS4-Vita since you can't remote play over the internet (which is amazing for sneaking in some gaming at work).

4) There are now enough games to warrant the purchase of a Wii-U (Smash, Hyrule, Bayonetta, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Monster Hunter, etc.). There arguably are not enough first-party exclusive games to warrant the purchase of a PS4 or Xbone right now.

5) There are a ton of amazing first party titles coming down the line (Captain Toad, Kirby, Yoshi, Zelda, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, Mario Party, Mario Maker, etc.).

6) It's the only system with backwards compatibility at the moment. And a ton of those old games are still amazing today because #1 and #2.

7) Even with the Black Friday deals, it's still the cheapest console (but only barely).

That's pretty much it.
1) Very subjective.
2) I don't have friends.
3) Ok.
4) Subjective and I don't agree.
5) See number 1
6) Sure I guess.
7) You say that and I can't help but do my best Anakin Skywalker impersonation and say,"From my point of view the Wii U it too expensive!"
8)That's a damn good point.

Some gamers like me don't purchase a console to watch TV or Movies, if you believe it or not but there are gamers who buy a console for what its made for, and this is to play awesome games ;) But this is only my opinion ;)
Yes, and having more features prevents this from happening in your mind for what reason?

Astery

while amibos is some interesting physical toy shaped DLC/ save device, I never quite thought it as a selling point for the wii u console, just a more interesting and value justifying take on DLCs.

while I personally agree wii u easily has the better library of exclusive games (and by miles at that) this year, the article just reads like a self justification for buying a wii u.

That's pretty much it.
1) Completely subjective. Incredibly bold claim.

2) That's in your opinion. Online multiplayer has taken off and replaced couch co-op for a reason.

3) The PS4 can do remote play with other products such as the Xperia Z3/c and Z3 compact tablet. You can also do it with phones that are rooted with Android 4.4 KitKat.

4) I'm not sure why we're acting like people ignore third party games. This lack of exclusive because of the first year is not slowing the X1 or PS4 down.

5) Same with the others.

6) Sure, this is correct. The Wii U does have native backwards compatibility.

7) Yep it's cheap. Some would argue that it's not cheap enough, but whatever.

8) Okay.

There is nothing wrong, bad, or illogical with preferring or enjoying the Wii U in and of itself or relative to other platforms.

The article however, the one this thread is based on, offers an incredibly poorly thought out list of reasons to pick up a Wii U. I would wager the average gaffer could come up with a far more reasoned, compelling list of reasons to pick up the Wii U that doesn't include things like opening new development studios without any guarantee of how that will benefit Wii U owners as some great reason to pick one up.

The article is the problem.

Alebrije

I like my WiiU but the lack of games like Far Cry, Fall Out , Elders Scrolls , The Witcher and other more mature ones make the system incomplete.

It has great exclusive games but most of them are located in the same colorfull background, whit similar experiences.

When I saw ZombieU as a launch title my expectations growed thinking that the console would have more of these kind of games but instead we just got crap ports like the recent Watch Dogs.

Saddly next year looks similar , only Xenoblade looks like a different more mature experience.

The lack of great 3r party games hits the console so much that for a lot of people WiiU is not a choice as a gaming experience.

Majmun

Can't wait for their "99 Reasons I’d Still Pick the PS4 and Xbox One Over Nintendo’s Wii U"

You think Nintendo will be profitable with the Wii U? Covering what costs exactly? R&D for the console itself, marketing for the console itself, potential losses from lossleader exclusive software like Bayonetta/TW101/Devil's Third [presuming it follows the same sales trend]?

Or do you just mean that Nintendo can still have a profitable fiscal quarter even with the Wii U selling so poorly and not that the console itself can be seen as a profitable endeavor?

I was thinking of Nintendo's current fiscal quarter but you are correct that Nintendo sunk a lot of cash into R&D and software dev.

Since you have a better picture of Nintendo's cashflow, would you say that by the end of the WiiU's life will Nintendo have broken even or even turned a small profit on it? As far as software it's worth remembering that some or all of them will be playable on their next console either through BC or a Twilight Princess type rerelease.

inner-G

Banned
Its definitely a bit skewed, but I don't think the article is as far from the truth as some are making it out to be. No one competes with Nintendo's first/second party software, and for most conumers that alone is probably more games than they will ever need for a console.

I understand what it means from a technical perspective. I mean, what the hell does that mean from a consumer perspective? That's one of his TOP thirteen reasons to pick a console over another?

It should be fairly obvious why reduced power consumption is beneficial for both the consumer and the environment. How you value that personally is an entirely different matter, but it leaves you in no position to judge.

Yes, that 40 vs 180kWh/y is an incredibly significant difference.

household1s6eci.gif

It definitely is when you multiply by the millions of people who have bought those products.

Also, the US figure is absolutely ridiculous. ~88% of that draws from non-renewable energy sources to boot.

Yes, and having more features prevents this from happening in your mind for what reason?

Personally I have an XBox One and a Nintendo Wii U, and I like really both consoles alot! I can't say something about a PlayStation 4 because I don't have one. And made the experience that there are way more often problems with playing online on XBox One than on the Nintendo Wii U. And this is probably because XBL is way more complicated because there are more features. What I mean is that when there are more features than its more complicated and more problems can happen, and they do happen. I read almost every two days that there are PSN or XBL problemsand losses, while I can still play online for FREE by the way with no costs at all with my Nintendo Wii U. What I want to say is that I don't want that it gets complicated, I like it alot that it's simple and more error free, I just want to play games online without interruptions and I made the experience that this works alot better with the Nintendo Wii U than my XBox One ;)

Personally I have an XBox One and a Nintendo Wii U, and I like really both consoles alot! I can't say something about a PlayStation 4 because I don't have one. And made the experience that there are way more often problems with playing online on XBox One than on the Nintendo Wii U. And this is probably because XBL is way more complicated because there are more features. What I mean is that when there are more features than its more complicated and more problems can happen, and they do happen. I read almost every two days that there are PSN or XBL problems, while I can still play online for FREE by the way with no costs at all with my Nintendo Wii U. What I want to say is that I don't want that it gets complicated, I like it alot that it's simple and more error free, I just want to play games online without interruptions and I made the experience that this works alot better with the Nintendo Wii U than my XBox One ;)
I guess there is a case to be made for simplicity. I haven't had any problems online with the Xbox one personally unless you count MCC but that wasn't XBL that was a problem with the game specifically being broke as hell on release.

wait, wii u has sold 7 million units? huh.

Yeah, people make it seem like the Wii U is in a very distant 3rd place but it's actually much closer than that.

Wii U = 7.29 million sold to users worldwide (as of Oct)
XBO = Nearly 10 million sold to retailers worldwide (as of Nov)
PS4 = 10+ million sold to users worldwide (as of Aug)

Depending on how many of those XBO units have actually sold to consumers, the Wii U might actually be in 2nd place.

I guess there is a case to be made for simplicity. I haven't had any problems online with the Xbox one personally unless you count MCC but that wasn't XBL that was a problem with the game specifically being broke as hell on release.

Ok, than I am happy for you that you have not so often problems :) I can not say all things but as example my friendslist are often not loaded because of XBL problems, yesterdays my apps disappeared from my my pins and stuff like that ;) I know that these are maybe small problems, but if you consider that I pay 60 Euro every year than it should work properly ;) But its okay, our lifes will not end because of this but it shows what I mean, the more complex than more little or big errors can happen ;)

gruenel

Yeah, people make it seem like the Wii U is in a very distant 3rd place but it's actually much closer than that.

Depending on how many of those XBO units have actually sold to consumers, the Wii U might actually be in 2nd place.

The Wii U has been available twice as long tho...

with a year headstart lmao. what are you fox news?

geordiemp

Look at the PAL charts in UK, there are NO games in the top 40 for WiiU this week.

Looking at NPD data monthly sales it looks pretty dead.

But keep believing, you never know if Zelda comes out

It should be fairly obvious why reduced power consumption is beneficial for both the consumer and the environment. How you value that personally is an entirely different matter, but it leaves you in no position to judge.

It definitely is when you multiply by the millions of people who have bought those products.

Also, the US figure is absolutely ridiculous. ~88% of that draws from non-renewable energy sources to boot.

Wow you guys across the pond use a lot of power. Those big american style fridge/freezers must eat electricity, that or you all use portable electric heaters.

Oxn

Man why cant Nintendo just become a 3rd Party Video game developer?

I am so sick of buying their Hardware. The 3DSXL sucks. I got 2 games for it and only played like 2-3 hours each (Kid Icarus and DKCR)

I dont want to buy a WiiU. But I must if I want Zelda.

That's a strange list... Anyway the general consumer market only needs two reasons to not buy a Wii U: FIFA and Call of Duty.

Your Wii U number is sold-in to retail as at Sept 30th. The PS4 is 13.5M through Sept 30th.

All earnings release numbers are shipped unless otherwise specified.

2 years on the market vs 1 year. So, no, not really that close.

Top Bottom