• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time choose the Xbox Series S one of the best inventions of 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The tech giant’s new video console is more than just a next-gen gaming device—it’s the basis for what could become the Netflix of video games. The Series S’s secret weapon is Game Pass: a subscription service where new hits like Halo Infinite will appear the same day as their traditional release. And those games will look even sharper—the Series S ($299) can run high-resolution games at 120 frames per second, a 100% increase over its predecessor, the Xbox One. What’s more, because there is no disc drive, the Series S operates almost silently, making it all the easier to concentrate on the action. —Matthew Gault

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I think it has merits, however I would probably go with the X model because I’d rather not have games downloaded considering their sizes.

If one doesn’t care about such, yeah it’s great

the Series S ($299) can run high-resolution games at 120 frames per second, a 100% increase over its predecessor, the Xbox One. What’s more, because there is no disc drive, the Series S operates almost silently, making it all the easier to concentrate on the action.
giphy.gif

They should probably stick to, uhm... not gaming stuff.

The tech giant’s new video console is more than just a next-gen gaming device—it’s the basis for what could become the Netflix of video games. The Series S’s secret weapon is Game Pass: a subscription service where new hits like Halo Infinite will appear the same day as their traditional release. And those games will look even sharper—the Series S ($299) can run high-resolution games at 120 frames per second, a 100% increase over its predecessor, the Xbox One. What’s more, because there is no disc drive, the Series S operates almost silently, making it all the easier to concentrate on the action. —Matthew Gault
Time is blind 🤣🤣😂🥶

nush

Gold Member
I can see where they are coming from. The Series S will be the most interesting console to watch this gen, since it's basically a giant consumer test. It could dictate the future of gaming, depending on how it plays out over the next few years.

I can see them eventually giving it away free with a subscription service. Boom, massive install base.

ZehDon

It's a disruptive piece of kit, there's no denying that. Microsoft are trying to re-write the rules a little bit - game streaming, game subscriptions, and spec-varying SKUs to provide as many "in" points as possible. It's gonna be an interesting generation no matter how it goes.

NickFire

It's a disruptive piece of kit, there's no denying that. Microsoft are trying to re-write the rules a little bit - game streaming, game subscriptions, and spec-varying SKUs to provide as many "in" points as possible. It's gonna be an interesting generation no matter how it goes.
I like how you framed it as a disruptor. I think its a little early to give it such a title though. As of now I just see a trojan horse towards more gaas, but it definitely has disruptor potential if it takes off.

rapid32.5

it is a nice between gen refresh for the price and availability before XSX X comes out.

XSX 500$+ XSX X 500$= 1000$ by the end of gen
XSS 300$+XSX X 500$= 800$ by the end of gen

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Nah bruh. Same price as past next-gen consoles, but lacking the punch of its brethren in the generation. If you give anything the award, you give it to Game Pass. That's the thing that makes the XSS look good. I can give a nod to GP, but the XSS is a waste of money. At $100 more, the PS5DE is by far the better value. It has PSNow.

MrFunSocks

Banned
USD$299 legit next gen console at launch..........yep I'd agree. I went the X for the media rooms 4K tv, but I'll have an S as well within 12 months for the 1080p tv in the living room.

If they add xCloud to it it could be amazing combined with game pass. I tried xCloud on my Galaxy Tab S6 the other day and I was blown away. Graphically it looked like I was playing games natively on the tablet, and response wise there was only the slightest bit of input lag. Not even as much as GTA5 has for example.

Last edited:

the_master

Series is a last gen console with an SSD. Bad value, especially in the long run.
Well, that is taking it way too far.
Thee CPU is next gen as it is the same as the serues x, and the GPU is built with next gen architecture but weaker and cheaper.

I would have chosen the series X if they wanted to go gamepass

jaysius

Banned
People laughed when I explained what the Series S was for, the ignorant masses, the actual gamers, not the small minority that are constantly posting here about made up theories and 15% "wins".

This is a harsh reality so sit down for it, NOT EVERY GAMER CARES ABOUT FRAME DROPS, OR FPS, OR FIDELITY OF GRAPHICS.

The Series S is about blanketing the market, NOT delivering a GOOD product to the end user. It's going to work too, this is a machine that is priced to give a brat a new machine for giftmas, and for a gym brah dog to buy and use in between his 'roid ass injections, the mouth breathing tail gater will buy it to play Madden on. The person that buys a Switch will probably also buy a Xbox Series S, there are millions of cases here and MS saw it and made the S for these and more scenarios. People that realize GamePass as the "netflix of games".

If you don't understand the VALUE of the Series S it's because it's literally NOT FOR YOU.

Series S is what a REALIZED corporate value of the gaming industry looks like. It's not better games made with more skill, it's samey games that are made with less skill and have more exploitive mechanics to drain people's wallets.

Nintendo has PROVEN that Graphics, FRAMERATES, NUMBER OF TITLES don't matter and made the SWITCH a HUGE SELLER. This is MS' answer to the Switch and at the same time the PS5.

I'm not saying ANY of these things are necessarily a GOOD THING, but what I'm saying is THIS IS THE REALITY WE LIVE IN.

The spread of the S should show many people that think they're the MOST important gamers EVER that they're a tiny dingle berry in the grand GAMING INDUSTRY machine.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

It’s really funny to see all the haters. As someone who actually bought a Series S over a Series X, let me share my thoughts.

I own a Series S, and it is amazingly designed and engineered. Compact, perfectly weighted throughout the unit, and very well constructed. It feels dense and like every square inch was used perfectly internally. It’s whisper quiet and runs at a comfortable temperature —- been playing since launch day and haven’t heard a noise or felt anything too warm to the touch. Games look great and run smooth, and the SSD is fast fast fast. Overall response is quick and nothing drags. It has the more or less the same modern architecture and internals as the Series X but with a slighter lower CPU (200 MHz less — irrelevant) and same gpu but at 4 TF (you don’t need 12 TF to produce really good graphical fidelity and performance at 1080P / 1440P — which is the S performance target). The only differences that are apparent is half the internal storage and 10 GB of RAM as opposed to 16 GB on the Series X.

Regardless games look and play fantastic. Visually, games on both Series S and Series X will look practically identical according to Microsoft.

I keep telling people — just see it in person and it is impressive.

Xenon

Hardcore gamers confused why MSM likes a system designed to appeal to casual players/parents say, "Microsoft we would never by that POS!"

Microsoft: "We have a system for you, it's called the Series X"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I will comment on this article on December 9th when my three month warning for series s bashing expires.

Till then, bless their heart.

ZehDon

I like how you framed it as a disruptor. I think its a little early to give it such a title though. As of now I just see a trojan horse towards more gaas, but it definitely has disruptor potential if it takes off.
Well, I think GAAS in the current sense - Destiny, Avengers, whatever the heck Anthem is - isn’t really the goal. Too small. However, GAAS in the sense of Gamepass? I think that’s undoubtably the goal - Microsoft have basically said as much themselves. Consoles don’t matter - Gamepass matters. In terms of getting Gamepass into as many homes as possible, Series S is the perfect little Trojan horse.

Top Bottom