• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time choose the Xbox Series S one of the best inventions of 2020

MrFunSocks

Banned
People laughed when I explained what the Series S was for, the ignorant masses, the actual gamers, not the small minority that are constantly posting here about made up theories and 15% "wins".

This is a harsh reality so sit down for it, NOT EVERY GAMER CARES ABOUT FRAME DROPS, OR FPS, OR FIDELITY OF GRAPHICS.

The Series S is about blanketing the market, NOT delivering a GOOD product to the end user. It's going to work too, this is a machine that is priced to give a brat a new machine for giftmas, and for a gym brah dog to buy and use in between his 'roid ass injections, the mouth breathing tail gater will buy it to play Madden on. The person that buys a Switch will probably also buy a Xbox Series S, there are millions of cases here and MS saw it and made the S for these and more scenarios. People that realize GamePass as the "netflix of games".

If you don't understand the VALUE of the Series S it's because it's literally NOT FOR YOU.

Series S is what a REALIZED corporate value of the gaming industry looks like. It's not better games made with more skill, it's samey games that are made with less skill and have more exploitive mechanics to drain people's wallets.

Nintendo has PROVEN that Graphics, FRAMERATES, NUMBER OF TITLES don't matter and made the SWITCH a HUGE SELLER. This is MS's answer to the Swtich and at the same time the PS5.

I'm not saying ANY of these things are necessarily a GOOD THING, but what I'm saying is THIS IS THE REALITY WE LIVE IN.

The spread of the S should show many people that think they're the MOST important gamers EVER that they're a tiny dingle berry in the grand GAMING INDUSTRY machine.
What a ride haha. I went between agreeing and disagreeing multiple times in the one post haha. You might have gone a bit overboard on some bits, but the general idea is correct.

It's a disruptive piece of kit, there's no denying that. Microsoft are trying to re-write the rules a little bit - game streaming, game subscriptions, and spec-varying SKUs to provide as many "in" points as possible. It's gonna be an interesting generation no matter how it goes.
There’s nothing next gen about the XSS nothing .... lower specs it’s an xbone with graphics update? Where are the next gen games that feature the XSS there isn’t any

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think the XSS can perform at the level they claimed originally (seems to be a theme), but it's still a neat little piece of hardware and great for people who are happy with the One S but want to upgrade.

Don't know how anyone can defend the S. We're only on cross-gen games right now and MS's BS about playing the exact same game as the X, but at 1440p, has already been ripped to shreds. Smart people were already pointing out that the S was not only going to hold back the X, but would need to make more concessions than just a simple res drop.

Aion002

Series S is what a REALIZED corporate value of the gaming industry looks like. It's not better games made with more skill, it's samey games that are made with less skill and have more exploitive mechanics to drain people's wallets.

I disagree.

The SS is a console that for 300 bucks + game pass gives the player access to a shit ton of games running in a reasonable manner. It is incledible in the monetary aspect... It's the opposite "wallet drains".

If anyone wants to have access to a video game without spending much, the SS is the answer. And there are many quality titles in the game pass, you can play games like Yakuza to Gears of War and even freaking Dragon Quest XI is being released there.

I don't know for how long MS will keep Game Pass being this good, but right now the combo game pass + SS is brilliant and extremely consumer friendly.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I disagree.

The SS is a console that for 300 bucks + game pass gives the player access to a shit ton of games running in a reasonable manner. It is incledible in the monetary aspect... It's the opposite "wallet drains".

If anyone wants to have access to a video game without spending much, the SS is the answer. And there are many quality titles in the game pass, you can play games like Yakuza to Gears of War and even freaking Dragon Quest XI is being released there.

I don't know for how long MS will keep Game Pass being this good, but right now the combo game pass + SS is brilliant and extremely consumer friendly.

You totally missed my point, I'm not saying Gamepass is going to lead to wallet draining games... I'm saying that since the GAMING INDUSTRY has gotten BIGGER, there have been far more Free TO PLAY mechanics added into mainstream full retail price games also game ORIGNINALITY has fallen pretty flat lately. The PERIOD there separates the thoughts, after rereading it, the sentences' even have good flow of ideas, you just misread it.

The truth is everyone was HOPING that a BIGGER games industry meant BETTER GAMES, but it just means that theres bigger money involved now and they're trying to destroy gaming like they've destroyed music; pump as much shit out as fast as possible, make the MOST MONEY as FAST AS POSSIBLE, fuck QUALITY. It's happening and it's been happening for a few years now. Bigger money needs to see increases EVERY QUARTER or it considers it failure, this is where gaming is getting fucked hard.

Last edited:

Fbh

I can see the reasoning but I don't know why it exclusively applies to the Series S.
Should have given the award to Gamepass as a service or to the "Series S/X" line of Xbox.

USD$299 legit next gen console at launch..........yep I'd agree. I went the X for the media rooms 4K tv, but I'll have an S as well within 12 months for the 1080p tv in the living room.

If they add xCloud to it it could be amazing combined with game pass. I tried xCloud on my Galaxy Tab S6 the other day and I was blown away. Graphically it looked like I was playing games natively on the tablet, and response wise there was only the slightest bit of input lag. Not even as much as GTA5 has for example.

How "legit next gen" is it though?

We're already seeing it having to make some considerable sacrifices in cross gen games like Assassins Creed Valhalla. Compared to the Series X and Ps5 it's running at half the framerate, lower resolution, with worse shadows and more notorious LOD loading.
And it's probably only going to get worse as the gen continues and most games start targeting SeriesX/Ps5 instead of Xb1/Ps4

Last edited:
they choose underdogs rather than truly revolutionary products. Like the Pico Neo Eye enterprise rather than mass market Oculus Quest 2

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Sorry, I respect your choice BUT for 100$ more you can get PS5. 300$ for PC-like 1080p console is a waste of money for me.
I don't think the console is marketed for some like you.

---------------------------------------

It makes sense as far as that article is concerned. It may not sound like the best idea for some of us here on this forum because we are all tech enthusiast to a degree, but to a large group of people like my Pops and his circle, they still watch shit on their 1080p TV's and are perfectly content. I think the Series S is gonna do very well, even if it's not something I'm interested in. There's definitely a huge demographic of people that it'll resonate with at a nice price/performance ratio.

Last edited:
Better invention than the cure for COVID!
Haaaaa haaaaa haaaaa 😂
Haaaaa haaaaa haaaaa 🤣
Haaaaa haaaaa haaaaa 😆
Haaaaa haaaaa haaaaa 😅
XUGv.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
I can see the reasoning but I don't know why it exclusively applies to the Series S.
Should have given the award to Gamepass as a service or to the "Series S/X" line of Xbox.

How "legit next gen" is it though?

We're already seeing it having to make some considerable sacrifices in cross gen games like Assassins Creed Valhalla. Compared to the Series X and Ps5 it's running at half the framerate, lower resolution, with worse shadows and more notorious LOD loading.
And it's probably only going to get worse as the gen continues and most games start targeting SeriesX/Ps5 instead of Xb1/Ps4
When there are games that are next gen only, the series S will play them. That means it’s 100% next gen.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So many salty people in 40+ years of age, that some fucking magazine pick. It's incredible. It's like a ERA thread about Cyberpunk...

Top Bottom