• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Cube Redux: Space Moors, Freemasons, black means white, there was no slavery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out which ideology the OP belongs to.

Christian Identity? Dark Enlightenment? Anarchist? Tax protestor? Heck, the Olmec and conspiracy stuff even suggests Nation of Islam, a bit.
My money's on 10th planet Anunnaki level shit. Is there a pool going?

DarkFlow

Banned
Let me post the definition of Nation one more time.

"c.1300, from Old French nacion "birth, rank; descendants, relatives; country, homeland" (12c.) and directly from Latin nationem (nominative natio) "birth, origin; breed, stock, kind, species; race of people, tribe," literally "that which has been born," from natus, past participle of nasci "be born" (Old Latin gnasci; see genus). Political sense has gradually predominated, but earliest English examples inclined toward the racial meaning "large group of people with common ancestry." Older sense preserved in application to North American Indian peoples (1640s). Nation-building first attested 1907 (implied in nation-builder)."

So everyone is going to ignore the definition of nation and how it's tied to your breed, stock, kind, species or race?
How bout you use a definition from this century.

Nation - a large aggregate of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

"c.1300, from Old French nacion "birth, rank; descendants, relatives; country, homeland" (12c.) and directly from Latin nationem (nominative natio) "birth, origin; breed, stock, kind, species; race of people, tribe," literally "that which has been born," from natus, past participle of nasci "be born" (Old Latin gnasci; see genus). Political sense has gradually predominated, but earliest English examples inclined toward the racial meaning "large group of people with common ancestry." Older sense preserved in application to North American Indian peoples (1640s). Nation-building first attested 1907 (implied in nation-builder)."

So everyone is going to ignore the definition of nation and how it's tied to your breed, stock, kind, species or race?

That's a definition of nation, that's not the definition of nation.

Really, that's the etymology of nation, not even the definition.

"c.1300, from Old French nacion "birth, rank; descendants, relatives; country, homeland" (12c.) and directly from Latin nationem (nominative natio) "birth, origin; breed, stock, kind, species; race of people, tribe," literally "that which has been born," from natus, past participle of nasci "be born" (Old Latin gnasci; see genus). Political sense has gradually predominated, but earliest English examples inclined toward the racial meaning "large group of people with common ancestry."
So the connotation of this etymology would be, then, that anyone falling under the designation of "that which has been born" in the US would be American, right?

AntoneM

That's the etymology of the word "nation", not the definition, but, I though we went over this already.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
OP, when you discuss this with people in real life, do you get the nagging feeling that they are politely humoring you?

Yeah, I kind of see where this is going.

Have you ever spoken to a Sith Lord?

Makonero

Because you are ignoring the part of that definition that acknowledges that nation jas gradually come to mean the political connotation regardless of original definiton. The sooner you accept that language changes, the sooner we can actually engage wih you.

If you want to actually talk about how no "Americans" are of American ancestry, then that is a no-brainer since even the earliest Americans were immigrants.

I don't live in Old France.

What's wrong with this one?
NOUN

A large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nation

mavs

That's not the definition. That's the origin (circa 1300 CE, it says, from Latin via Old French.) Dictionaries list the definition before the origin, right after the word and pronunciation.

Notice how it refers to the part you posted as "older sense".

Where do we draw the line on when you get to be from the country you were born in? I mean, arguably, we're all descendants from some nomadic group in Africa, right? Are we all just Africans who have citizenship in other countries then? Should I be rooting for Ghana instead of the US today?

Why stop at early humans? What about our ancestor's ancestor? Why not where the first organism lived?

"So everyone is going to ignore the definition of nation and how it's tied to your breed, stock, kind, species or race?"

Did I timewarp to the 1800s? Who the fuck describes humans as having "breeds" or "stocks." ?

so what's a person going to have to call himself if from his father's side....his great grandpa was french, but his great grandma was canadian, and then his grandpa was the child of them, and he married a mexican woman, and his father was the child of them, and his mother was japanese, .... whose parents are japanese and vietnamese, and whose parents were vietnamese and russian, and whose parents were russian and italian

.... and he was born in australia but then the family migrates to america?

.... whats this person has to call himself if not american?

hodgepodge-ian?

I read through this thread and kind of have a request before going any further.

Prove to me that a word (any word) can have a true objective meaning/definition.

so what's a person going to have to call himself if from his father's side....his great grandpa was french, but his great grandma was canadian, and then his grandpa was the child of them, and he married a mexican woman, and his father was the child of them, and his mother was japanese, .... whose parents are japanese and vietnamese, and whose parents were vietnamese and russian, and whose parents were russian and italian

.... and he was born in australia but then the family migrates to america?

.... whats this person has to call himself if not american?

hodgepodge-ian?

Outlier.

Dead Man

Well this thread became something special in the brief time since I last read it.

Looks like I am a nameless outlier. Born in the US to an Australian father and American mother but raised mostly in Australia. Feels good though :)

Countries are corporate entities now?

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

So shouldn't the change in the word's meaning be included?

It's included yes but like I've mentioned several times you have the principle of denotation and connotation which shouldn't be ignored. Slang is something everyone uses like when we say something like those girls are bad, we don't mean bad in a negative way but positive but that's why slang is slang.

Cyan

Banned

This doesn't go nearly far enough. Latin? Seriously? Latin is for Johnny-come-lately losers.

Find the definition in proto-Indo-European and we'll talk.

What's the definition of circle anyways?

no idea, I just post words without considering their meaning

It's included yes but like I've mentioned several times you have the principle of denotation and connotation which shouldn't be ignored. Slang is something everyone uses like when we say something like those girls are bad, we don't mean bad in a negative way but positive but that's why slang is slang.

nobody says that

mavs

Dictionaries will denote which definitions are slang and which are standard.

Makonero

You keep deflecting. "Nation" isn't slang. Get back to the point: what are you trying to say?

Nation isn't a slang word.

You need to start learning about colloquialisms as well as etymology.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I read through this thread and kind of have a request before going any further.

Prove to me that a word (any word) can have a true objective meaning/definition.

You're asking for the impossible. Words don't have objective meanings. But they do have generally accepted meanings. If you're going to use a word as though it's meaning is something other than its generally accepted meaning at the time of use, you're not going to communicate with anyone.

Here's an example of that sort of thing.

Kazerei

Banned
I haven't even finished reading the first page and this thread is already delivering

So OP, by your definition, am I, as a person of African descent with no other culture, American?

Habits you pick up don't define your nation state. What country in Africa are you from?

The hell if I know, wherever my ancestors were bought from?

Oh, you believe your people were brought to America, ok but that's another discussion I can do.

da fuck?

AntoneM

Isn't etymology the study of a word's meaning and change? So shouldn't the word's meaning be included?

The origin of a word is important in understanding its current meaning; the current meaning being what you want to understand. Once the current meaning is understood the origin is secondary.

Therefore, what the origin word meant is not important currently except for understand what the word currently means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom