• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Cube Redux: Space Moors, Freemasons, black means white, there was no slavery

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has addressed my point earlier with logic. So if you're a US citizen, that makes you an American citizen? But who has ever became a citizen of a continent?

The true mean doesn't but that doesn't keep people from developing slang with a particular word. That's why Etymology is a study.
It kind of does when words don't have a set and objective meaning, though. And if we were to make that argument, then you'd be arguing that the entire world should be speaking some (agreed-upon?) protolanguage.

The true mean doesn't but that doesn't keep people from developing slang with a particular word. That's why Etymology is a study.

The only 'true' meaning of any word is the one that is currently agreed upon by the majority. Of course the original meaning will never change (as in it will always be the original meaning), just like the current meaning will always be the one that was used in this current period of time. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with people being American though.

Cocaloch

Wittgenstein would like a word with you buddy.

Besides the fact that pretty much nothing you say makes sense, what in god's name is the "true mean" of a word?

Brakke

Banned
Remember when the American Revolution and then the French Revolution and then all of the nineteenth century happened and the entire Western conception of "state" completely changed forever.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
No one has addressed my point earlier with logic. So if you're a US citizen, that makes you an American citizen? But who has ever became a citizen of a continent?

North America is a continent.

"America" is not a continent. It's like North and South Dakota. There is no "Dakota" state in and of itself.

If you want to talk about all of the Americas you say "THE" Americas

Gray Matter

no, but you're choosing to become a US citizen are you not? You can always just stay a permanent resident and then consider yourself dominican.

I am because I came here when I was 10 years old, this country is my home, and it has been for the last 9 years. Now, when I get my citizenship will people call me an American, yes. But at heart I will always be a Dominican.

It's not just us referring to ourselves. People from around the world regularly refer to people from the United States as Americans, even the Brits when they're not calling us Yanks.

lol American is far more common than Yank. I can't remember the last time I actually heard the word Yank.

ISOM

While we're at it, lets make a East America and a West America that are separate continents as well. America encompasses it all be it north or south and even the Islands.

This should be reason enough to take away your thread creating privileges.

My ancestry traces back to China on both sides of my family. My father was born here and is an American and a US citizen. My mom is a naturalized American and US Citizen.

I was born here in the US and I'm an American. Naturally, I'm also a US citizen.

JC Lately

Etymology is only one portion of the study of language. Semantic drift is another. And there are scores more.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that language is a science, with immutable laws. It's not (especially English). It's an art. An art that relies heavily on consensus. Gay no longer means happy. Awful no longer means full of awe. Even the word literally no longer means without exaggeration.

Language is changing all the time. Ask any linguist; they'll tell you this in excruciating detail.

Levyne

Banned
Etymology is only one portion of the study of language. Semantic drift is another. And there are sores more.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that language is a science, wqith immutable laws. It's not (especially English). It's an art. An art that relies heavily on consensus. Gay no longer means happy. Awful no longer means full of awe. Even the words literally no longer means without exaggeration.

Language is changing all the time. As any linguist; they'll tell you this in excruciating detail.

but

denotation and connotation

we are mostly an English language forum so lets not play with etyomonology of what the word America means in Spanish, Latin or Italian or whatever

in English,
America = the US.
The Americas = the continents of the Americas

what continent Canada, USA and Mexico in? North-America.

North-American includes whatever person from the continent.

American means, a USA citizen person human people

No, you did not. You posted something from some random website. Would you like to see page H1303 from the Congressional Record for March 17, 1993?

Here is the entirety of Traficant's comments:

I've bolded the portion actually quoted by your link. The rest of your link has nothing to do with the Congressional Record, despite the creative use of quotation marks.

Dude, you quoted congressional record 103rd, get the fuck out of here. What I posted was congressional record H1303.

so what would East America and West America even be?

Would it be North America divided along the Mississippi, or does it also include South America? Would we need Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and Northeast Americas?

and what do we do about Canada?

JC Lately

The full name of this country is the United States of America.

So yes if you’re a US citizen you are an American. It’s convenient shorthand. Like a citizen form The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland referring to themselves as simply “British.” If a given individual chooses to identify as such however is their own affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom