• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Cube Redux: Space Moors, Freemasons, black means white, there was no slavery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old English blæc "dark," from Proto-Germanic *blakaz "burned" (cognates: Old Norse blakkr "dark," Old High German blah "black," Swedish bläck "ink," Dutch blaken "to burn"), from PIE *bhleg- "to burn, gleam, shine, flash" (cognates: Greek phlegein "to burn, scorch," Latin flagrare "to blaze, glow, burn"), from root *bhel- (1) "to shine, flash, burn;" see bleach (v.).
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=black

Don't try and use connotative linguistics here.
You just literally proved yourself wrong.

What you said:
flagrare is black in Latin

What your source says:
Latin flagrare "to blaze, glow, burn"

You somehow then try to reverse engineer the Latin word into meaning something that a possible derivation in English means.

Old English blæc "dark," from Proto-Germanic *blakaz "burned" (cognates: Old Norse blakkr "dark," Old High German blah "black," Swedish bläck "ink," Dutch blaken "to burn"), from PIE *bhleg- "to burn, gleam, shine, flash" (cognates: Greek phlegein "to burn, scorch," Latin flagrare "to blaze, glow, burn"), from root *bhel- (1) "to shine, flash, burn;" see bleach (v.).

So if flagrare, a word that means burning, is meant to mean "black," then why does nearly every word for "black" in Romance languages come from "niger," instead of "flagrare"?

Oh wait, it's completely unrelated. The n word doesn't come from words that sound exactly like that, they come from some weird made up word for cavemen that nobody's ever used.

ISOM

cobra, if I may ask

what the fuck is your point?

like, where are you ultimately going with this?

stop beating around bullshit definitions and ridiculous etymological arguments

I want you to, in a single post, list out for me exactly who counts as "American", who doesn't count as American, and why you think it is important that you make this distinction for people who currently live in the United States of America.

If no one is actually "American", what do you think that means or should mean for people who live within the boundaries of the United States?

You seem to be going to a lot of trouble for reasons I can't identify. Why does it bother you that people are called "American?"

This. I want the OP to get to the point already.

cobra, if I may ask

I want you to, in a single post, list out for me exactly who counts as "American", who doesn't count as American, and why you think it is important that you make this distinction for people who currently live in the United States of America.

If no one is actually "American", what do you think that means or should mean for people who live within the boundaries of the United States?

You seem to be going to a lot of trouble for reasons I can't identify. Why does it bother you that people are called "American?"

This is his point: http://rvbeypublications.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/zuluquestions2.pdf

Where did I say they were?

Then them sounding alike means fucking nothing at all.

Japanese "ai" sounds like the english word "eye." They are completely unrelated.

collige

Banned

No one even mentioned the word "black", we were talking about "nigger". What does this have to do with anything? And anyway, from your same source:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Negro
Negro (n.)
"member of a black-skinned race of Africa," 1550s, from Spanish or Portuguese negro "black," from Latin nigrum (nominative niger) "black, dark, sable, dusky," figuratively "gloomy, unlucky, bad, wicked," of unknown origin (perhaps from PIE *nekw-t- "night;" see Watkins). As an adjective from 1590s. Use with a capital N- became general early 20c. (e.g. 1930 in "New York Times" stylebook) in reference to U.S. citizens of African descent, but because of its perceived association with white-imposed attitudes and roles the word was ousted late 1960s in this sense by Black (q.v.).

cobra, if I may ask

It seems that he believes "African Americans" are actually the indigenous people of the North American continent, and are the Moors (who originated in North Africa). He believes that they were not brought here from Africa, and Europeans made up some bullshit rumours of bringing slaves over when they just took their land.

So by his definition:
Americans = The Indigenous People of the Moors
Non-Americans = White, Asians, Browns, etc

Or at least that's what I'm understanding (which is pretty hard to do from his posts).

You just literally proved yourself wrong.

What you said:

What your source says:

You somehow then try to reverse engineer the Latin word into meaning something that a possible derivation in English means.

You didn't read the link at all lmao, it's a etymological break down of black lol

Kazerei

Banned
I never said they were the same lol, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I simply said they have similar sounds but have different meanings.

Oh sorry, I assumed this was you posted this on another site

And one last thing, research the origin of nigger and why Europeans started using it. "Negus" denotes a king. Naga, which nigger comes from, means snake. In the ancient world the snake was seen as a wise symbol, it was a symbol of knowledge and life so when you say nigga, actually naga you're empowering yourself so who the fuck cares if Europeans say nigga or nigger? Do the fucking research and fucking learn something.

Aeana

I thought we were talking about the etymology of the word "nigger." Its ancestry traces back to work that mean black, but this has nothing to do with the word "black" in English. Using the etymology for the word "black" to prove some point about "nigger" makes no sense whatsoever.

DarkFlow

Banned
cobra, if I may ask

Via youtube comments.

Yo Robert, so called blacks are the Native Americans. Look up 1823 Webster's definition of American. We weren't brought here on fucking ships, it would be impossible.

You people calling yourself black are stupid. Black is not a noun! Black in the social or legal sense is a legal status. Once you put yourself in this legal status known as black, the system doesn't mind killing you off, fucking you over in the courts because you have the lowest legal status. We are Moors and we were never brought to this country. America is our land. If we were brought here in ships then where the fuck are the ships at? Where can I see a physical slave ship? Keep calling yourself African American or black and watch others with the same claim continue to get fucked over. 

So in short, Moors.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This has got the be the first time in a while where a controversial OP has absolutely no defenders.

Alucrid

Banned
It seems that he believes "African Americans" are actually the indigenous people of the North American continent, and are the Moors (who originated in North Africa). He believes that they were not brought here from Africa, and Europeans made up some bullshit rumours of bringing slaves over when they just took their land.

So by his definition:
Americans = The Indigenous People of the Moors
Non-Americans = White, Asians, Browns, etc

Or at least that's what I'm understanding (which is pretty hard to do from his posts).

Wait, if he think it's impossible for the slave trade to North America to exist because of wooden ships, or the lack of evidence thereof, then how did the Moors get here?

I thought we were talking about the etymology of the word "nigger." Its ancestry traces back to work that mean black, but this has nothing to do with the word "black" in English. Using the etymology for the word "black" to prove some point about "nigger" makes no sense whatsoever.

How does nigger mean black really? See negro from Spanish is no different than black from English, connotative meaning and it doesn't mean anything dark.

This thread is the best Coast-to-Coast AM call that never happened

Just make that slave-ship conspiracy thread so we can all get off on the wahjah and go to bed

Wait, if he think it's impossible for the slave trade to North America to exist because of wooden ships, or the lack of evidence thereof, then how did the Moors get here?

Probably using the inter-celestial travels that he likely believes in (see EmCee's PDF link).

cdyhybrid

3Lwp9CI.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How does nigger mean black really? See negro from Spanish is no different than black from English, connotative meaning and it doesn't mean anything dark.

Let's say you're right.

So what?

Again, where are you going with this?

I see people really want a topic on the slave trade and my understanding of it. Has anyone ever seen a physical slave ship? The Atlantic Slave trade wasn't 10k years ago so we should be able to have some physical evidence right or are we only going off drawings lol

Kurdel

Banned
I see people really want a topic on the slave trade and my understanding of it. Has anyone ever seen a physical slave ship? The Atlantic Slave trade wasn't 10k years ago so we should be able to have some physical evidence right or are we only going off drawings lol

There it is...

Reuenthal

Banned

I am now curious about your beliefs on evolution

Were you there

What else don't you believe happened

Makonero

Been waiting for this post a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom