• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIME: Despite its issues, California is still America's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
That article has to much bullshit, especially regarding business. Most of the tech companies are here because of SV, not California and SV is here because the business climate in California during the 80's and 90's.

... What's SV?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the Economist had an article that basically said Texas > California and went point by point into the issues both states face and gave good measured solutions to California's problems.

California isn't America's future until every single politician is kicked out of office. It isn't America's future until they realize they cannot spend more than they take in. Having been born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, I hate seeing what it has become. Every single day there is a new tax enacted, another business that has closed shop to go somewhere else, and a new politician promising change only to show they are as much of a crook as the person they are taking over for. Its depressing.

Macam

Banned
StoOgE said:
the Economist had an article that basically said Texas > California and went point by point into the issues both states face and gave good measured solutions to California's problems.

That special report played up many of California's problems, glossed over many of Texas's problems until the end, dropped them all in a litany of substantive problems, and then basically wavered and said they both had their merits. It really didn't definitively swing one way or the other altogether, though it was a classic case of The Economist's conflicting desires for liberal investment in people and resources and that of a lightly regulated business climate.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Macam said:
That special report played up many of California's problems, glossed over many of Texas's problems until the end, dropped them all in a litany of substantive problems, and then basically wavered and said they both had their merits. It really didn't definitively swing one way or the other altogether, though it was a classic case of The Economist's conflicting desires for liberal investment in people and resources and that of a lightly regulated business climate.

There was actually a second article in there that really reamed Texas for it's educational issues.

But yes, it was pretty typical Economist trying to balance being both extremely liberal in some areas and extremely conservative in others.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
In order for the future of Cali to shine brightly we are going to need these things to happen:

1) We need to get a Democratic progressive Governor.

2) The Lakers need to win more championships

3) ?

4) Profit

Well, I can't argue with the article. All of America is going to end up like California if the President continues his magical romp with congress.

And you wonder why a super majority if bad for America. Free reign, baby.

Macam

Banned
StoOgE said:
There was actually a second article in there that really reamed Texas for it's educational issues.

But yes, it was pretty typical Economist trying to balance being both extremely liberal in some areas and extremely conservative in others.

I read that piece as well; it just wasn't given anywhere near the proportionate coverage as it did to California's problems. The issues it pointed out with Texas were fairly substantial, particularly in the way of investment in human resources like education and health, both areas where we're fairly abysmal and that are rather essential to building up a strong, robust state. Texas has tremendous potential to replicate the diversified success of California and contribute as much, but it's going to require shedding these lousy government figures that restrain adequate development of it.

Epic Tier: That would make sense if what you said were actually true. One can wish.

KTallguy

Banned
Cali is my home and I love it. I love NYC too.
But I could probably spend the rest of my life in SF and really enjoy it. :)
Just the cost of living is too high.

Easy_G

tokkun said:
The presence of Berkeley, USC, and Caltech just might have something to do with it too.

Stanford is essentially the only reason there is a Silicon Valley. And there are MANY other schools here worth mentioning.

Instigator said:
I wouldn't live there.

Overcrowded with power and water shortages and wild fires and earthquakes on top of that?

No thanks.

It's only overcrowded in the big cities. Plenty of suburbs for your space, not to mention about 75% of the land is open space with mountains and beaches that are almost untouched.

And there haven't been power shortages for a long time.

I think the main reason there is a NorCal/SoCal rivalry is because so many people outside of California picture the entire state as being LA. They don't realize that NorCal is not just sunny beaches and fake boobs.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As a Californian, I saw the title thread and said, "Oh crap, that is not good for America."

After reading it, I guess we tend to forget that California is not all bad.

Sabotage

arniesrs.gif

etiolate

Banned
There are elements of California that are Idiocracy worthy. The voters vote in things based on good feelings. The education system is being cut up, and if you all think its the colleges that will save SV then you better hope SV can save everything, because the UC is a mishandled enterprise that will probably become more a business than higher end public education. Anyone not involved in a lucrative field may find themselves without classes or support.

And then there is the side of California that tries to do things better than how they are, and it is exactly that mentality that is a part of the poor voting practices. Yet, it also pushes 'green tech' and cleaner environments. It is just confounded by being overly image conscience(BLAME SOCAL), where your voting to look like you care, simply for the cause that its fashionable to care, to be healthy, drive this or shop there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stabby McSter said:
so i see this thread turning into a california vs other states and then norcal vs socal

and then into a <3 2pac thread
The logical progression from there would be reviving the west coast vs east coast 90s rap thing then?

Ashhong

well shit, when i read the title i could have sworn it said

TIME: Despite its issues, California is still America's Failure

and i just couldnt understand :lol

XiaNaphryz

Ashhong said:
well shit, when i read the title i could have sworn it said

TIME: Despite its issues, California is still America's Failure

and i just couldnt understand :lol
How do you confuse the two words? Is it be cause the both start with F and end with -ure? :lol

Pickles the Firecat said:
So long as we maintain our higher education system we will always be able to replace any number of high-income earners who decide to leave the state.

Because our universities are doing so great thanks to all the help we get from the state.

Time magazine picked the wrong coast. The East Coast will be out of the recession long before California will, which means it will become a hotbed for business, and it easily overpowers the west coast in academics already.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Time magazine picked the wrong coast. The East Coast will be out of the recession long before California will, which means it will become a hotbed for business, and it easily overpowers the west coast in academics already.

Do you mean in inexpensive, high-quality public universities or exclusive ivy league schools? Just curious--I'm not that familiar with what the east coast has to offer academically. But the UC system has 3 of the top 10 public schools in the nation, with Davis and Santa Barbara tied at 11th.

HylianTom

Banned
Water issues alone will make living in parts of California (and the Southwest in general) a dicey proposition. It's going to get ugly.

How much do desalination plants cost to build and operate?

harSon

Banned
HylianTom said:
Water issues alone will make living in parts of California (and the Southwest in general) a dicey proposition. It's going to get ugly.

How much do desalination plants cost to build and operate?

Not really, it's not like we haven't had substantial water shortages before...

clav

Ducky_McGee said:
California IS Americas future.

Bankrupt.

Grew up in SoCal. Went to school at Northwestern and currently live around Chicago.

I can't stand the people in California. A lot of them tend to be superficial over the tiniest things in the world, and I think part of it is the weather. The weather is too nice.

They bitch about what people wear, and everyone is so image-conscious. Who gives a fuck. Most of you guys are rich. What's next? Comparing penis size?
harSon said:
Not really, it's not like we haven't had substantial water shortages before...

That Colorado river is becoming awfully thin...

claviertekky said:

Grew up in SoCal. Went to school at Northwestern and currently live around Chicago.

I can't stand the people in California. A lot of them tend to be superficial over the tiniest things in the world, and I think part of it is the weather. The weather is too nice.

They bitch about what people wear, and everyone is so image-conscious. Who gives a fuck. Most of you guys are rich. What's next? Comparing penis size?

Because you being from Orange County makes you the preeminent scholar on California.

clav

SnakeswithLasers said:
Because you being from Orange County makes you the preeminent scholar on California.
Hey, I have other family members who live all over California.

I know what it's like there. Stop denying something bad will happen soon.

You guys freak out about Earthquakes which hasn't caused any major damage for a long time.

You guys have it nice there, and it really reflects on many people's attitudes.

XiaNaphryz

SnakeswithLasers said:
It's just further proof on why SoCal sucks. Even natives can't stand the place and have to leave. ;)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
My experiences in Cali as a New Yorker:

They need a more reliable Public Transportation System.

America's future cant be building more freeways for more cars and shit traffic.

clav

SnakeswithLasers said:
Further proof on why Orange County sucks since I knew where he was from based on his post. :lol
It does suck. NorCal is a lot better in terms of organization.

However, you still have the douschebag/tampon attitudes there from people who grew from the state.

I still remember. When it reaches 60 degrees or a little below, people are already screaming, "OMGAWD ITZ SO COLD!" I used to be like that but not any more.

Gallbaro

Banned
BosWash>>>>>>>>California

Similar land mass and population but BosWash has a much higher GDP, much better schools, much more power, and contrary to what Californian's like to think is much greener than Cali due to density and public transit.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Great article.

I thought it was funny how it was extremely positive when you started to read it, then decreased it's positive attitude towards the end of the article.

MrHicks

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:
California IS Americas future.

Bankrupt.

xin_0321204312138578918221.jpg

all according to &#31616;&#20307;&#20013;&#25991;&#29256; (translators note &#31616;&#20307;&#20013;&#25991;&#29256; mean "operation chinese overlord")

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
ShadyMilkman said:
California, and SoCal in general, fucking blow. If this is the future, than we are all in a world of shit.

suck my liberal Californian cock!
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom