• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

time for a GAF upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowans

In Gaf we have the ability to link, embed images but not embed flash video?

The rest of the interwebs picked up in flash vid in a big way.

Time for an upgrade guys?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I eagerly await the days when I can quote a post and then only ad a witty YOUTUBE video as my reply.

/sarcasmsatmaximums

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Cranehand2ndComing said:
Do you really want everyone on this board to have this option at their fingertips?

Think about it.

Dont see how its any worse than pictures, at least youtube & google video are fixed resolution and you can choose whether or not to play them.

Seth C

I'd like the ability to preview the thread on mouseover. A lot of forums have that now, and it would save a lot of time for me, not having to click stupid threads to see what they are about, and probably a lot of bandwidth for the server because of less threads having to load.

Gattsu25

Banned
embed flash? **** no

preview threads? that's why the mods ban people who make misleading thread titles. there are thread titles. read them.

you know what...we should get signatures without restrictions, with embedded flash in them...we should also alow people to have FLV vids as avatars with no size restriction, hosted on GAF's server

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I fear change, so I will go about wearing my bushels.

But seriously, no. +1 to the preview thread on mouseover thing though.

Seth C

Gattsu25 said:
preview threads? that's why the mods ban people who make misleading thread titles. there are thread titles. read them.

Just because a thread title isn't misleading doesn't mean it tells me all I need to know. Take this one, for example. Had I known it was about embedding Flash videos I'd have said "that's stupid" and never clicked.

Or what about the "This is why I stick with a PC" thread. I'm kinda curious what his reasoning is, but I have no interest in the discussion that will follow, or the Mac/Window arguments. If we had previews I could get what I need from the thread without ever having to click -- saving valuable server time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't know if this feature exists anywhere, but I've always wanted to see a spoiler option for topics.

Basically in your user options you'd be able to enter keywords which, if they crop up in a topic title, that topic appears blacked out on the forum and you have to highlight it if you want to see it, just like the way we handle spoilers now.

So, for example, if you don't want to know anything about Spider-Man 3, you could enter "spiderman", "spider-man", "spidey", "maguire" etc. into your options and nothing with those things in the title would show up.

I mean, I know it wouldn't save people from all spoilers as you never know what people are going to title a topic (or misspell), but it would help.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
btrboyev said:
yeah cause all we need is a shit ton of shitty videos populating this board..this is why we have youtube.com

How is that different to what we have now besides the extra click? 1/2 the threads in this forum especially end up as nothing but (repeated) images and animated gifs, at least if the gifs were flash videos we could choose not to play the pointless ones.

Gowans

Ogni-XR21 said:
Gowans007
Has the worst ideas ever
(Today, 04:04 PM)
:)

HAHA you realy think it would be that bad,

I dont see any difference to Images at the mo & gaf is that well mod'd any abuse BAN!

Bildi

For the love of god, no flash. gif's and jpegs are plenty (and this is coming from someone who loves seeing occasional pictures in threads).

Edit: AND NO MOUSEOVER PREVIEWS!! AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Crisis

Banned
Am I too late to join the "HELL NO!" party? I could only imagine what kind of shit gaffers would do with that option.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Just post 20MB gif-animated versions of whatever flash movie you'd otherwise show. It's the GAF way!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
lol, I'm mean think about it, the three emo-icons we have are TOO MANY!!

thatbox

Banned
catfish said:
I eagerly await the days when I can quote a post and then only ad a witty YOUTUBE video as my reply.

/sarcasmsatmaximums

catfish, I always make sure to read your posts in relation to your avatar, and the result is that your posts are always adorable.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Embedded flash would be pretty stupid. At least you didn't suggest sigs along with this thread. Sigs + embedded flash = **** no

And misleading thread title. Should be renamed "time for a GAF downgrade?"

hobbitx

Being able to rate and reply to individual posts sounds cool. There's all kinds of nice vbulletin mods I'd like to see here.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
hobbitx said:
Being able to rate and reply to individual posts sounds cool. There's all kinds of nice vbulletin mods I'd like to see here.
Hey look im replying to an individual post!

BTW i rate your post C-

Meier

Mike G.E.D. said:
What we really need is text preview of a thread's contents on mouseover of the thread title.

This is what I came in to ask for -- it's a BIG improvement.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
White Man said:
Hell no. We want you to be clicking as much as possible.
To make more greens with the ads right? tsk tsk, you guys like money too much (please update.the.servorsss or whatever makes the forum crashing all the time)

fallout

White Man said:
Jesus **** no. Embedded flash videos would be the most obnoxious thing ever for a web forum
Moderated properly, I think it would be a great addition. That said, this place is too big for it.

Gowans

haha this thread has now giving me a tag, ****!

Ok Ok guys I get it, with great power comes great responsibility & that & GAF just dont mix :)

aku:jiki

I don't care either way, but I also don't see what everybody's so god damn terrified of. Like someone already posted, you need to activate most (if not all) embedded videos manually. What's the problem?

We link to YouTube constantly around here anyway, I don't see anything wrong with making it easier. You guys are the same ones who go "NO! No embedded pictures! No avatars! Think of the children!" whenever a really old forum is about to be upgraded, only to post nice pictures and use avatars once it's up, right? And you were probably also scared into the fetal position by the thought of people on your friendslist having the Live Vision camera too? Come on!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
aku:jiki said:
I don't care either way, but I also don't see what everybody's so god damn terrified of. Like someone already posted, you need to activate most (if not all) embedded videos manually. What's the problem?

We link to YouTube constantly around here anyway, I don't see anything wrong with making it easier. You guys are the same ones who go "NO! No embedded pictures! No avatars! Think of the children!" whenever a really old forum is about to be upgraded, only to post nice pictures and use avatars once it's up, right? And you were probably also scared into the fetal position by the thought of people on your friendslist having the Live Vision camera too? Come on!
Eh, I'm just happy that the deliberate minimalism and streamlined design on this forum isn't without support. ;)

aku:jiki

Hitokage said:
Eh, I'm just happy that the deliberate minimalism and streamlined design on this forum isn't without support. ;)
Hey, I get that. But I don't see how YouTube-links are worse than the screenshot threads in the gaming forum (with the one million by a zillion-sized screens, times 50) or any thread with GIF animations or random pics in the OT (which is pretty much every thread). It'd just be more of the same and wouldn't really affect the minimalistic streamlining much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom