• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Sony to bring back a first party shooter.

PapyDoc

Doom Eternal didn't sell that great considering the reception of the first and the hype behind the first.... if I'm not mistaken. But there is truth in that there are consumers always looking for something outside the norm, something that feels different - even if not necessarily too revolutionary or fresh.
Doom Eternal was the record in sales for the franchise. as for the reception, Middly because some people was quite butthurt with not being able to do the game only with the SSG, but now the game is overall accepted as a better Doom 2016.
Ok for Doom Eternal piss off some people at launch for design change is not a great idea if you want to sell well and with the best reaction possible from most of the people. But they can still use the Doom Road a propose something different.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is a great take! I personally would love to see an adaptation of a modern conflict account like House to House, Black Hawk Down, Lone Survivor, 13 Hours, Lions of Kandahar, etc. Something that really grounds the player and the experience in the suffering endured by all sides in the conflict. COD/BF make war seem like an action movie, this would be a pallet cleanser.

I’d like to see this kind of narrative based FPS coming from the guys at Guerilla. They have both the FPS programming pedigree, and the storytelling chops to do a really good job of it.

JonnyMP3

5v5 is a flooded market tho, whereas the large scale shooters aren't (unless a BR or.......BF)

Theres a gap in the market, especially with how poor BF is nowadays. A larger scaler shooter could do extremely well

Basically give me kz2 on a BF scale (minus the input lag lol)

That would make me buy a ps5 at this point, hell even a decent kz2 remaster would (if no input lag)

Kz2 with 64 players+ with tanks, drop ships, jeeps (no jet packs) man, that's almost the dream
If we're gonna go in the Battlefield route... GIVE ME RUSH!!!

Yes that's exactly it. It takes you to the Ps5 page... It's sorta hinting that a resistance game is coming to Ps5.... Well that's what I make of it
Nah, try heavenlysword.com and it also redirects to PlayStation. Since there is no content any more, they just keep the domain.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Insomniac and Guerilla have moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe move Bend back to SOCOM? Not first person I know

diffusionx

Gold Member
Resistance, Warhawk, MAG, SOCOM - Sony has these franchises, they should use them.
I see. Do they keep the domain of all their old games? If not maybe they only keep the ones they plan to reboot?

Domains cost like $10 a year to hold on to, it doesn't make any sense to get rid of them.

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm not even sure if Halo Infinite will dethrone Fortnite long term. We'll have to see how it plays.

I think all the games actually share the same audience - kids start with Minecraft, they grew up and move onto Fortnite, they grew up again so they move onto CoD, so IMO that's the game Halo will have to compete against. Which I think CoD with its modern day, realistic settings is more pleasing for older youngsters/grown up men than a colorful alien shooter. As for Sony, they need to figure out something, a formula/gameplay, that will have an active community for at least a year - KZ2 was their biggest online hit as far as I know, it used to have 2MLN active players soon after launch, but half a year later, around September-October 2009, all you could find was 16v16 TDM-only on Radec Academy with people spamming RPGs left and right, normal games were nowhere to be found, while their other 1st party online games last half as long at best. UC2 had enormous potential, but they fucked up big time with that atrocious matchmaking system, if they could go back to the design boards, tweak that formula a bit, put some well-thought-out maps, they could have their own online smash hit.

Handel

A single player FPS would be nice, Sony needs to add more diversity to their lineup so sad Sony fanboys don't have to try claiming Horizon is a WRPG.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony never had a good fps.

CheapThickGardensnake-small.gif

R:FoM, Res3, KZ2, all absolutely brilliant in both SP and MP, you don't see people asking for remasters over and over again without a reason.

MDSLKTR

Outside of Killzone/Resistance they have other dormant IPs:

Disruptor_cover_art.PNG

Lifeforce_Tenka_Coverart.png

Unit-13-ps-vita-box-art.jpeg

MAG_%28video_game%29.jpg

But I just don't see them investing their first party when they moneyhatted two Bethesda fps and CoD marketing rights :(

SilentUser

Yes that's exactly it. It takes you to the Ps5 page... It's sorta hinting that a resistance game is coming to Ps5.... Well that's what I make of it
I think it only redirects to the main page because the they took the resistancefallofman.com. Would love to be wrong, though.

Bolivar687

Banned
Killzone did very well for Sony commercially and critically on PS3 but Shadow Fall to me was very clearly rushed. It also abandoned the art style the series had up to that point. It had a really great and unique MP formula as well with Warzone, which also had a more Rush-like alternative with cutscenes in KZ3.

I had hoped that Sony Cambridge would make the next Killzone while Guerilla moved on to Horizon, even if it was just a multiplayer-only outing to keep the community going. Unfortunately they were shut down and I don't see anyone else who would be available right now to do it. Hopefully a remaster of sorts will materialize eventually and we can keep the buzz going.

Top Bottom