• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Sony to bring back a first party shooter.

JonnyMP3

I'm not sure what premise this shooter could possibly have that hasn't already been done to death already.
World War 2? Done.
Futuristic? Done.
Modern? Done to death!
The only new interesting take on a new FPS honestly looks to be Scorn.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
200.gif

First Sony needs to deliver on my first party Japanese games.

Bryank75

Banned
I know I say this too much.... but

I think Bethesda would have been a great buy for Sony, for Doom as a shooter and mascot.

Elder Scrolls Online as an MMO and the main series as a draw from the PC crowd.

With lots of interesting or at least decent other games like Death Loop.

But the main point is that you're well covered for shooters... with Doom, Wolfenstein and Death Loop.

Toaster man

Neo Member
The timing would be perfect for a new SOCOM with Ubisoft shitting the bed with ghost recon breakpoint there is really nothing resembling a slow paced tactical shooter on consoles.

Make it mission based with a nice tactical campaign and some fun multiplayer. People would be into it.

FrankCaron

Can’t believe I read this whole thread and didn’t see mention of the obvious game incoming based on the current landscape:
  1. Sony’s banking on third-party action adventure games
  2. Uncharted taking a break while Resistance and Killzone dirt nap
  3. Recent focus on bringing back PS1 cult classic games
  4. Need for a Modern Day shooter
  5. The lack of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear
  6. Days Gone teases
Two words: Syphon Filter.

Last edited:

yurinka

No, Sony shouldn't was their resources in an internal FPS. This genre is already saturated by other ones, and they can continue keeping them as marketing partners to keep getting revenue from their sales and DLC: CoD, Battlefield, Destiny, Far Cry, Overwatch, etc.

Sony is already doing a great job, better than ever, in the type of internal games they do: narrative focused AAA single player games with stunning visuales, mostly action adventures now in semi -or total- open world games. And combined with smaller highly creative games developed internally or externally.

For their next games they should announce the GoW sequel, Bloodborne 2, Days Gone 2 (and ask Bend to reboot Syphon Filter after it), some new IP by Kojima and if they don't have a big team in Sony Japan working on Silent Hill then to ask the Gravity Rush 2 leads to make an AA/AAA new IP, and ask the Puppeteer and LocoRoco leads to make some small new IPs or sequels of their games.

To let Media Molecule expand Dreams for some years while also working in a new IP, then ask Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Santa Monica to make AAA new IPs of their genres while having a 2nd team (considering their recent big success they may grow) working on sequels maybe with the help of an external team like the new Sony San Diego studio (maybe this one can make Uncharted 5/Uncharted spin-off with help from ND).

Socom or Resistance are dead for a good reason. The only one I'd revive is Killzone and only if they go back to the Killzone 2/maybe Killzone 3 vibe which unlike the other games in the series had maybe enough personality, style and uniqueness.

Last edited:

Agent X

I'm not normally into online multiplayer games, but I invested a crazy amount of time into the online portion of Resistance: Fall of Man.

I've played a fair amount of most of the other Resistance and Killzone games as well, but the first Resistance is where I've got the fondest memories.

I'd like Resistance 4 to support PS Move again :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Heck yeah! Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 made great uses of Move controls. It's a shame that Move was mostly ignored for these types of games on PS4, aside from PSVR of course.

DonF

My dream is that they bring M.A.G. Back now. Make it free to play. Or release killzone 2 multiplayer, call it "The Killzone" work on it all gen long, release all the maps from every killzone game, release new maps, full of microtransactions.

If Sony had a first person shooter in the wings; the little birds would be singing a long time ago. Anything Guerrila, SSM, Studio Japan or Insomniac related leaks very fast with hints and foreplay from insiders.

If Bend were to be making a Syphon Filter game - that's at least a late 2023 game. More than likely they're doubling down on Days Gone.

It's very unlikely to come from first-party studios so that only leaves third-parties. And those games are turning out to be timed exclusives, or "console exclusives" aka going to PC too.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Its really hard to compete with COD and Battlefield so they probably want to invest more in exclusivity deals.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sony's teams should invest in passion products, or sequels to loved games, not so much trying to fill holes where third party developers are thriving.

Games borne out of 'This (insert product) is hot right now, and we need one!' likewise rarely turn out well, or achieve the expected success.

If Sony makes an FPS, or even a BR for the other speculation, it should be because they have a wonderful new idea, or take on an old series, that will really bring something to the field.

Last edited:

Xellos

I'd love to see a modern update to Jumping Flash! Not a straight shooter, but it does have some FPS elements. Could do some cool things with today's hardware and the 'islands floating in space' level design.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are there any FPS vs TPS preference threads on NeoGAF? I'd like to understand why people prefer the first person perspective.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are there any FPS vs TPS preference threads on NeoGAF? I'd like to understand why people prefer the first person perspective.
I always prefer FP in any game if it's an option. This even goes for racing games (I choose hood view over total FP view).

The advantage of third person is you can pan the camera and see things you aren't supposed to. Hide behind a barrel and you still see everything in front of you. So in terms of shooting perspective, third person has benefits.

But I find first person more immersive and smooth to move and shoot.

Every third person shooter or action game has this weird twitchy feel to moving and aiming. Same goes for racing games. Play it using complete FP view or FP view with hood and it seems so much easier to judge turning. Do third person car views and a small touch on the LS analogue makes your car jerk way more than doing FP view. Not sure why, but it seems to.

Last edited:
Killzone reboot or a new IP.

Imagine a big shooter with an amazing campaign and solid multiplayer gameplay backed by Sony, without that heavy monetization crap. I can only dream.

GamerEDM

Banned
Yes please sony is lacking in this department . i think Guerilla games has two teams hopefully one of them is cooking up a first person shooter.

Sony should get the rights to the Haze IP from Ubisoft or Crytek or Deep Silver or whoever the hell owns it now and make a sequel to that. They might even get Korn to do some shitty music for it again.

tuco11

If Socom reboot isn't announced at next State of Play it will be the most disappointing videogame day of my life lol

The Fartist

Gold Member
They should reboot Killzone and fully realize what GG set out to do in the 1st one. I loved the atmosphere in that game, creepy, almost.

If they do, I‘d love a KZ2 remaster alongside and I want a dark experience for a new Killzone. Im ok if they did the play both sides thing again but I really want a dark, dusty, dreary, terrifying experience. Some Helghan forests on a dark rainy night would be great. I could go for an open world setting, or at least move away from the ally ways.

As an actual Resistance and Killzone fan (have played every game including the mobile ones). Please no more Killzone and Resistance! Make something new. Those two horses have been beaten to death already.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Killzone definitely needs a sequel and it should be a spiritual successor to the total war and quagmire type of plot in Killzone 2.

Resistance has had its run I think. That series never really had consistent writing and eventually wrote itself into a corner with 2.

They could bring Resistance back as a cover shooter and then retool the Chimera into something more charismatic, with leaders and strategies that make them personally detestable and perhaps with new alien allies to help spruce up the last gen gameplay.

God Enel

Give me a killzone 2 remaster with new maps guns (and the old ones) and through some new game modes in it and I’m here day one on ps5.

Give me Warhawk remaster with new maps vehicles maps and I’m in day 0.
Loved the dogfights in this game.

Give me a new resistance and I’m here day one. Resistance 1 MP was the shit back in the days.

give me a new Socom and I’m in.

I think Sony has the franchises. Use ‘em.

Airbus Jr

Banned
GG still busy with HZD Forbidden West so they wont be doing anything else atm

Our best chances to get a new shooter game is Resistance from Insomniac after theyre done with Spiderman Morales this year

A new ip would be nice.

Resistance story is not well developed. Way too grim.

Killzone is ok but world not very interesting. Why go to Alien planet to fight essentially humans? I know they explained it but I dont 'buy' it.

Would be ok with sci fi and some weird creative weapons.

qiqiqiiq

I enjoyed Killzone's 3 multiplayer a lot, I remember they sold it as a standalone game and I spent hours playing it daily.

Hudo

Sony need to bring back their first-party in general, IMHO. Take Japan Studio, they're capable of so much more than just support. They should be the premier first-party studio, IMHO. Sony's crown jewel. I'd love a new Resistance as well. I'd love a first-party (J)RPG. I'd love some sort of tactics or strategy game from Sony. I'd love a psychological horror game in the vein of PT by Sony. I'd love a Patapon 4. What about Ape Escape? Maybe a cool space shooter/game, like Colony Wars? What about new shit that has gameplay that needs the PS5 as a platform to run on; something that needs this DualSense thingy in order to play it?
Maybe let Media Molecule do a "Sandbox-creation-tool" like they always do but now with a focus on AI. Maybe let the player construct elaborate AI-based simulations for others to play in. He could train the agents/actors on the basis of a pre-trained neural network that the player then can change the head in order to specifically train it for certain tasks, etc. What about using this 3D Audio stuff for puzzles in the next Uncharted? Maybe use DualSense to get a "sense" of the material/environment you're encountering in conjunction with 3D Audio while depicting the screen black. So the player has to rely on auditory and haptic feedback to traverse a puzzle.

As of right now, Sony first-party is among the weakest and most boring for me. I really hope they'll seriously ramp up their first-party. A "PlayStation Studios" logo isn't fucking enough.

Games Dean

Can’t believe I read this whole thread and didn’t see mention of the obvious game incoming based on the current landscape:
  1. Sony’s banking on third-party action adventure games
  2. Uncharted taking a break while Resistance and Killzone dirt nap
  3. Recent focus on bringing back PS1 cult classic games
  4. Need for a Modern Day shooter
  5. The lack of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear
  6. Days Gone teases
Two words: Syphon Filter.
This was the game I was going to say too. Syphon Filter in Unreal 5? Yes please.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does anyone else not give a f*** about the IP, and only has preferences towards what kind of gameplay it entails?

I want a slower paced, third person multiplayer game that rewards creativity and communication.

I don't give a sh** if that's a new Killzone, a new Resistance, a new SOCOM, or a new IP etc...I literally have no preference.

Top Bottom