• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time perception: I hear many say time feels like it's going faster as you age, but for me, it feels slower

As you age, do you feel time is going faster or slower?

• Total voters
I imagine most people are going to say faster, and I believe you! However, for me, it feels slower. Anyone else? And why?

I had a 5 years ago memory pop up on my Facebook and I was floored that it was only 5 years ago. I've had this sensation for about 10 years now (since I was about 24), so the feeling is nothing new. However, I was still blown away at how much slower time feels now, and the effect seems to get stronger every year! I'm almost alarmed by it, like there is something wrong with me. The memory that was from 5 years ago, legit feels like ages ago, like I've lived multiple lifetimes since then (ok so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

I've come up with all kinds of mixed results on google, as to why time goes faster for some and slower for others. Overwhelmingly, people claim it goes faster, but there are a few other out there like me who claim slower.

Which is it for you? What do you think the reasons are for each?
I've got pretty much the same thing but the other way round. I see shit that will say it's from 2015, and I'm like HOW? I swear that was two years ago MAX. Time is really weird now.

GAMETA

Banned
I don't have the sources but I remember reading about how the perception of time is directly related to intellect vs idle (fun, motion, etc), or intellect vs other functions.

According to that article (or whatever it was) that's why 6 hours in class "take longer" than 6 hours playing video-games, but also why a difficult puzzle game will wear you out faster than an action game, why a technical book takes longer than a romance, etc.

From my bro science perspective, maybe when your brain is directly working on learning then you perceive time moving slower. If your brain is directly working on other things than itself, then time goes faster.

Maybe your life being in constant change gives you more to learn, more to remember, more things to occupy the mass, meaning there are not that many empty spots of wasted time, which seems to be what makes us think time flies.

Kev Kev

I don't have the sources but I remember reading about how the perception of time is directly related to intellect vs idle (fun, motion, etc), or intellect vs other functions.

According to that article (or whatever it was) that's why 6 hours in class "take longer" than 6 hours playing video-games, but also why a difficult puzzle game will wear you out faster than an action game, why a technical book takes longer than a romance, etc.

From my bro science perspective, maybe when your brain is directly working on learning then you perceive time moving slower. If your brain is directly working on other things than itself, then time goes faster.

Maybe your life being in constant change gives you more to learn, more to remember, more things to occupy the mass, meaning there are not that many empty spots of wasted time, which seems to be what makes us think time flies.
Yeah, well said, that seems to be the one thing in common with all the posts I’ve seen and all I’ve read about it. Slightly different for each individual depending on their specific circumstances, but that is basically what it all boils down too

The Fartist

Gold Member
Maybe he should do cocaine. I hear that speeds up time.
yWvKzvS.gif

crozier

Time seems to go by the fastest when I settle into a routine. My brain turns on autopilot and once my consciousness finally switches back on I’ve killed a few hours. The reverse is true by keeping your mind engaged with something new, fun, or exciting. Not only does time go by slower, but you remember, sometimes, every minute of it.

Top Bottom