• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to remind everyone again of the worst controller ever made

pramod

Banned
Sega-Saturn-Controller-Mk-I-NA-FL.jpg

It's just my opinion but I think this monstrosity is one of the biggest, but less frequently mentioned reasons why the Saturn launch bombed in the US and never recovered...while it was relatively successful in Japan.

My god man, what were they thinking?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Even today i have no idea how to hold this. My second vote goes to the ps3 controller for its thumb-bumping convex analogs and inverse hook shaped triggers.
Na, ever played a WiiU?
There was nothing inherently wrong with the gamepad in terms of design, it was comfortable for what it was (and arguable more so than the switch in portable mode) and the pro controller was a very decent 360 clone.

Last edited:

Gandara

Sega-Saturn-Controller-Mk-I-NA-FL.jpg

It's just my opinion but I think this monstrosity is one of the biggest, but less frequently mentioned reasons why the Saturn launch bombed in the US and never recovered...while it was relatively successful in Japan.

My god man, what were they thinking?
No way. That was one of the best controllers I ever used. It was great for the fighting games on the system as well as the other games on the system. I think one of the worst was the follow up to the Saturn which was the Dreamcast controller. That was a horrible controller. I got an adapter just so I could reuse the Saturn controller on the Dreamcast.

Nester99

There was nothing inherently wrong with the gamepad in terms of design, it was comfortable for what it was (and arguable more so than the switch in portable mode) and the pro controller was a very decent 360 clone.

I hated it and used my pro exclusively. I also play my switch 90% of the time docked with a pro controller.

Slightly off topic, My 3DS was actually the worst to hold, could not even play it for 30min

Codes 208

I hated it and used my pro exclusively. I also play my switch 90% of the time docked with a pro controller.

Slightly off topic, My 3DS was actually the worst to hold, could not even play it for 30min
Which 3ds? The og and 2ds definitely felt bizarre

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My top 3 worst controllers -
1. Nintendo Wii/Wii U/Switch
2. Nintendo Gamecube
3. Microsoft Xbox

My top 3 best controllers -
1. PlayStation 1-4
2. Xbox 360/Xbox One
3. Super Nintendo

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not a main control method, but sideways JoyCon is the worst I’ve tried. Sideways Wiimote isn’t far behind. Xbox duke sucked the worst for me in terms of standard controllers.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
:messenger_face_screaming: Gamecube is one of the best controllers ever!!!!!

Sacrilegio!!!

Not for me. Only completed two games on Gamecube - REmake and Eternal Darkness. Couldn't even play the MGS Twin Snakes remake because of the horrible controller configuration and the controller itself. UGH. Would have been my absolute worst but Wii/Wii U/Switch easily surpass it.

Codes 208

My worst controllers:
1. xbox duke
2. Wiimote
3. N64 trident
4. Six axis/ds3
5. Any and all third party controllers

Favorite controllers:
1. Xbox One (preferably S or rubber grip)
2. Xbox 360
3. Switch Pro controller
4. DS4
5. Gamecube controller

Codes 208

Right hand is always on the far right handle, left hand is on whatever other handle makes sense for what game you're playing.

Dunno why that confuses people.
Im well aware of how to hold it, the n64 was my console of choice growing up, but considering todays options its a “in hindsight, the n64 controller really wasnt that good...” especially when it was succeeded by the vastly superior gamecube controller.

pramod

Banned
No way. That was one of the best controllers I ever used. It was great for the fighting games on the system as well as the other games on the system. I think one of the worst was the follow up to the Saturn which was the Dreamcast controller. That was a horrible controller. I got an adapter just so I could reuse the Saturn controller on the Dreamcast.

Maybe you're confusing it with the Japanese Saturn controller (which eventually the USA version adopted), which ironically is the greatest control pad ever made IMHO.

s-l300.jpg

Orenji Neko

The original Saturn pad might not have been the best, but the revision is legend. Still use them to this day (along with 6 Button Genesis pads) for fighting games.

Maybe you're confusing it with the Japanese Saturn controller (which eventually the USA version adopted), which ironically is the greatest control pad ever made IMHO.

s-l300.jpg

100% agree. Love that thing.

Solomeena

Banned

Wii controller hate force out in force tonight. You folks should be crediting Nintendo for thinking outside the box and came up with this, it was awesome!!! I mean, MS and Sony literally come out with the same turd of a controller generation after generation with minor tweaks while Nintendo innovated with this controller and in the process came up with a whole new way to control games, that is a win in my book.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This thread shows how many people have never used some of the Atari 5200 or intellivision 2 controllers back in the 80’s. The intellivision 2 controller is abysmal. The terrible face buttons of the first system are made worse because they lost the tactile bump.
image001.jpg

Still love the system to death though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Nintendo sold like 80 million copies of tetris on their gameboy.

Then they released this fucking piece of shit.
Autodrops blocks cause the dpad is so fucking shitty. Don't even bother trying to play fighters on this garbopad.

Nintendo out of all companies that created the dpad.
RUINED IT.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
That's weird because I remember the opposite argument in the 90s where people thought the PS1 controller felt weird and unnatural and the Saturn pad was more familiar, but now that the Dualshock has been around for 20 years it's the more familiar configuration, and the Saturn pad is poo-poo'd by some. Personally, I still like the Saturn better, but I'm an old man who likes his buttons all in a row.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gamecube was the worst.

I remember I was playing some sort of shitty James Bond game on it and it was so awkward to hit one of the shoulder buttons to zoom and use that tretarded c stick thing to aim at the same time.

s-l300.jpg

thats the one i used

greatest Dpad ever I agree. god it makes me orgasm to think about it.
ughhhhhhhh.

Top Bottom