• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Traveler spotted in 1928 movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jea Song said:
This is most likely the case, but it still doesn't explain why the person "appears" to be talking into the device.
"This crappy piece of shit hearing aid isn't working"
"It just keeps repeating '1.21 Gigawatts!'"

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
She's a TIME TRAVELER! Its the simplest explanation so it must be right. :lol

I love internet logic sometimes.

Belfast

diunxx said:
This, it doesn't take an indie documentary filmmaker to figure this out.

Not this. I actually disagree with the assessment by the dude who uploaded the video that she notices or cares about the camera at all. She seems like she just turns to walk in a different direction all of a sudden and keeps going about her business. She turns, but she doesn't really "stop" as if she were startled by something.

chase

Leave it to GAF to feel superior by pointing out the flaws in a video that supposedly shows time travel.

IT'S NOT REAL I FIGURED IT OUT TAKE THAT INTERNET YOU'RE DUMB

Pfft. It's a hearing aide. He should have been focused on the cross fade out, because it wasn't. She was obviously teleported back to the enterprise after violating the prime directive.

El Sloth

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
How was she talking on a cellphone with no network/cellphone infrastructure/etc lol
I sincerely doubt this person this a time traveler and probably just had a mental condition or was just testing her dumb big 1920's hearing aid, but what is it with this argument? I would hope that if we're bloody capable of time travel then we're capable of creating communication devices that don't need a network/infrastructure/etclol. Also people assume that this person is calling someone across time, why not a fellow time traveler?

But yeah, pure bunk.

Ether_Snake said:
Is that picture fake? The guy has modern everything, even his shirt and haircut.

I don't think so, man. The modern guy is in black and white too. Another discovery in GAF? There's gonna be a lot of 500's thanks to this

She's clearly talking to the fake horse using her Time-Skipped Animal Translator, and turns back toward it when it doesn't respond.

I think she had a toothache and had something in her hand to cool it. And then she's either talking to herself or she's checking that bad tooth with her tongue. We don't know if she's actualy talking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it only looks like a cellphone because that image of someone holding a hand to their face creates that impression in your head, because thats what people today do. Its just us projecting current activity onto old footage and making 2+2=5. It is quite interesting though - the hand is covering the 'object' quite a lot, so there wouldn't be much exposed surface for a traditional ear trumpet. Plus the guy in front is moving away from her and doesn't seem to be talking, so I don't know if they're together.

whats with that sunglasses guy photo?

Zenith

Banned
if you look closely on the slow-mo zoom-in you can see that the black object is just the shadow of her hand, darkened by the film.

starmud

i agree with the video, the woman walks like a dude. after closer inspection of the face i have come to a conclusion...

steve jobs in disguise.

iphone time traveling.

sinxtanx

If it is a time traveler (which i doubt),
then I can only imagine the conversation being this:

-So where am I supposed to be now?
-You've just been spotted on camera.
-What?

Big One

Banned
How could someone use a cellphone in the 20's even if they were a time traveler? Do people think the phone system is fueled by timeless magic?

GCX

Big One said:
How could someone use a cellphone in the 20's even if they were a time traveler? Do people think the phone system is fueled by timeless magic?
This has not been discussed in this thread.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I love how they show you the clip AFTER the dude tells you what you're about to see. It's classical: tell someone what they're going to see, show them an unclear image and they'll immediatly associate it with whatever was told them it is.

rSpooky

neorej said:
I love how they show you the clip AFTER the dude tells you what you're about to see. It's classical: tell someone what they're going to see, show them an unclear image and they'll immediatly associate it with whatever was told them it is.

You are right, which is why I showed some friends without the pre-knowledge. They all saw the same thing. Someone holding a cellphone.

whatever it was, it is cool intruige for a morning.

Big One said:

It's not a cellphone, it's a device for transmitting neutrinos through Calabi-Yau space.

mckmas8808

Banned
El Sloth said:
I sincerely doubt this person this a time traveler and probably just had a mental condition or was just testing her dumb big 1920's hearing aid, but what is it with this argument? I would hope that if we're bloody capable of time travel then we're capable of creating communication devices that don't need a network/infrastructure/etclol. Also people assume that this person is calling someone across time, why not a fellow time traveler?

But yeah, pure bunk.

So how would the reception work?

Belfast

El Sloth said:

But yeah, pure bunk.

People with mental conditions in the era were sent to institutions without question most of the time. This woman looks rather opulent and, at the very least, capable of dressing herself. There is nothing else in her observed behavior to warrant the idea of "crazy old bat."

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Vagabundo said:
Simplest explanation: she is mad and is talking to her shoe.

shoePhone.jpg

mckmas8808

Banned
Belfast said:
People with mental conditions in the era were sent to institutions without question most of the time. This woman looks rather opulent and, at the very least, capable of dressing herself. There is nothing else in her observed behavior to warrant the idea of "crazy old bat."

I like how this post sounds so serious. :lol

I have seen my fair share of time travellers in my lifetime and I can without a certainty of doubt say that this woman is one of them.

StoOgE said:
The Doctor in Doctor who travels space and time with companions (humans mostly).

He gives them cell phones that allow them to call their own time and speak to family members.

Throw in the username and it is perfect.

If I can just get one more GAF member interested in Doctor Who, this whole mad endeavour was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom