• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when your family and/or friends were shocked by video game content

Neiteio

I remember my religious grandmother babysitting me when I was like seven or eight and I had just gotten Final Fantasy VIII. I showed her the opening cutscene with Squall's bloody face and talked about killing things. My parents got a huge talking to that evening lol.
Man, if she thinks that's dark and disturbing, she should read the bible!

killatopak

Gold Member
God of War 3 Sex scene and the woman who was crushed for a puzzle. They did not expect that when they were watching me play.

I'm pretty sure my mother took issue w OG Doom back in the 90s and the giblets exploding. If I recall, there was an exclamation of 'Oh my god!' with me cackling.

Then I finished the chapter and saw a rabbit's head on a spike, and I too was shocked.

Love that game :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My dad walked in on my brother and I performing one of the stage fatalities, in Eternal Champions. It where the one where the guys drive by and spray your opponent with the Tommy gun.

He was really taken aback, and said something about how he wouldn't have bought us the game, if he'd known that kind of stuff was in there.

I wanted to sell Moonwalker to Funco, but it was my sisters game lol. so my brother and I played it in front of my stepfather, we kept making MJ grab his crotch and he complained so much my mother Oked us selling it. I realize it was wrong to do my sister like that. Also he'd just sat and say how nasty Mortal Kombat was everytime we'd play. For some reason he got addicted to Bram Stokers Dracula on Sega CD and would stay up all night trying to get through the game lol

Gxgear

Uncharted and Horizon Zero Dawn often left people's mouths hanging when they see it on the big screen, but in a good way obviously.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Playing Max Payne when I was about 12 at my nan's house, the level were max is walking on the string of blood in his nightmare with the baby crying, family kept asking questions and could tell my nan was thinking what the fucks this all about.

Blam

On a more positive note, my dad thought Ridge Racer looked amazingly realistic back when I first got my Playstation. That's just about the only time I can remember him taking interest in a game, ever.

Show him Driveclub or Forza Horizon 3.

wetalo

My sister was watching me play Heavy Rain, there was the gratuitous shower scene.

I thought it was funny, then she told my mom, then it just got awkward.

Oh, and uhh good reactions? Mmm.... I remember by dad being super impressed when he walked in on me playing Half-Life 2. Also I showed him Battlefield 1, I figured he'd dig the visuals and setting.

jett

D-Member
*Mom walks in*

"Hey what's that you're playing"

Oh it's---

giphy.gif

*Mom walks out*

123rl

My parents were also lenient and pretty tolerant. The only exception to that is the original Manhunt

Mine's both about Street Fighter 2...

One time, my brother was playing against the cpu in (probably) Street Fighter 2 Turbo for the SNES. He was fighting against Sagat, so all you could hear from the living room was "Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, TIGER UPPERCUT!!!!, Tiger..." My mom tells me she hates that game, it's not for children, why are we playing it, etc. I ask her why, and she says "He is saying f***er!" It was like in anime when people are shocked and fall down. When I recovered, I told her what he is really saying. She just left it at "You play that game too much".

The other time, a relative of my dad came over. I was playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo, and the guy (college-aged) wanted to play against me. Me, being in middle school and regularly trounced at the arcades, said sure. I did not hold back, not even considering his skill level. I beat him bad, multiple times. My dad was kind of shocked at how 'good' I was. My brother thought I was mean for doing that. I didn't do it on purpose, and I regret it to this day (more than 20 years now).

calder

My dad was absolutely floored when he saw my brothers and I playing NHL FaceOff on the PS1.

As for negative reactions, I was reading twitter on my ipad or something while Big Boss was flying somewhere in MGS5 and my wife naturally happened to walk into the living room while Quiet - easily of the most embarrassing characters in video game history - was shaking her ass at BB like a cat in heat. She was like what the fuck that's shameful and I was like yeah but... she's super handy for stealthing these camps.

Ravelle

Back in the day my mom was quite taken aback by Bushido Blade, other than that not really since I've grown up with Duke Nukem, Doom, Phantasmagoria etc.

SirNinja

My dad walked in on C&C Red Alert during one of the cinematics where Tanya is interrogated, because of course he did. This did not go well for me (I was ~12, and at the time, my folks thought videogames were pretty much the single cause of all evils in the world).

My Grandpa got me Quake 2 on the PS1 (we used to play Quake and Doom on the PC) and when my Mom asked what we were playing she saw the blood and got upset and took it away lol

Next was probably me playing Resident Evil 4 and my parents seeing a Ganado head explode and the parasite popping out of it. My Mom grimaces and said "That's certainly interesting" and my Dad said it was just like The Thing which is his favorite movie. He sat down a bit and got bored 20 seconds into a cutscene

zeemumu

FEAR 2. I was playing the final area and a friend was watching me and we got to the moment where
Alma rapes you and gets pregnant
and just stared blankly at the screen for a few minutes

Raven117

Gold Member
My mother thought the movement of Lara Croft from the original Tomb Raider was amazing.

And it was at the time

Tevious

I was playing The Last Guardian when my mother was visiting and she got a little upset with me whenever the boy would get injured from a missed jump, etc. The animations show the boy looking like he is in pain and he even limps for a while.

woopWOOP

Parents mostly didn't care, but this one time my brother had a hard time getting Carmageddon 2 installed on our family computer, so our dad helped to figure why it wouldn't work properly.

Eventually he came down in the living room looking kind of annoyed and commented to my mother how senseless some games of today were, that he spent all that time helping my brother get a damn vehicular homicide game running on their computer. Not an extreme reaction, but it's one of my standout memories of my dad reacting pretty negatively about videogames.

Gnilres

I was playing Breath of the Wild with my best friend and her girl roommates and they wanted me to get a horse. After soothing one they were all excited but I decided I didn't like it, so I killed it and they all freaked the fuck out lol.

I was playing The Last Guardian when my mother was visiting and she got a little upset with me whenever the boy would get injured from a missed jump, etc. The animations show the boy looking like he is in pain and he even limps for a while.

I think that's fairly typical for parents. I remember Vinny of Giantbomb saying the same thing about becoming a parent and games (specifically Inside I think) where children are in harm become way more distressful for them.

TrojanAg

The first time I pulled off a fatality in MK1 on my Genesis and my Grandmother and Aunt were there to see it. They were horrified but they didn't stop me from playing.

Also, towards the end of The Last of Us when
Joel goes on a killing rampage in the hospital
disturbed my then fiance quite a bit.

DrKelpo

Banned
I was playing A.D. 1602 and my father came by and was kinda shocked (probably not really) that I was blasting away house after house on an enemy island to make room for my stuff.

He continued watching me play and 10 minutes later encouraged me to go to war again.

Thorgal

trying to explain the stripsphere system in Ar tonnelico Qoga to my mother who came back home and walked in during one of those scenes was pretty much an act of futility .

basically ,
the less clothes the girls wear the stronger their magic becomes .

WARNING NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L79AzmlQy8&t=35s

Bonus : having my mother able to hear this exchange from the game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXPrewoCA6I

She almost laughed herself senseless .

venom473

When I was 11 or 12, I was playing the first Jedi Knight (I think it's called Dark Forces 2 in some places) with a friend. In the opening cutscene, the protagonist's father gets beheaded by a lightsaber and my mom entered the room in just that moment.
She was disgusted and I think that made her believe all video games are awful and bad.

Marking spoilers I guess, but at this point...who doesn't know?

Anyway, my Mom was clipping coupons when I got to this scene. It was shortly after Columbine shootings....I convinced her to let me keep playing because I had to read a lot of dialog text.

Not very useful to spoiler tag something without even saying what game is it from, but yeah, I think the statute of limitations has expired on that particular one. :D

Resident Evil 7, and it wasn't even VR. But it was so in the face. With the first boss of the game.
The Garage event

trying to explain the stripsphere system in Ar tonnelico Qoga to my mother who came back home and walked in during one of those scenes was pretty much an act of futility .

basically ,
the less clothes the girls wear the stronger their magic becomes .

WARNING NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L79AzmlQy8&t=35s

Bonus : having my mother able to hear this exchange from the game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXPrewoCA6I

She almost laughed herself senseless .

I'm surprised (and disappointed) that your mother didn't call Chris Hansen if what she saw is anything like that video, ugh. :S

I tried to play Last Guardian with my mom and boyfriend last Christmas. Right at the beginning, my mom was horrified at wounded Trico and wanted to kill it. We had to stop there :-( ;-)

DigSCCP

The Warriors PS2 in Christmas launch.
25 December I wanted to show my cousin how amazing my new game was.
It happened that I talked so much that not only him but my mom, dad, aunt and grandfather got curious because of the original movie.
When I booted the game in less than 2 minutes I exploded a empty bottle in a random NPC head.
My dad walked directly to my PS2 and just turn it off without saying a word lol

score01

Soul Calibur and Ivy elicit various not so positive responses from non gaming friends and family. In fact, if a new entry was to be released I don't think my wife would let me buy it. I shudder to think how much more realistic her proportions would be.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Or when your GF walks out when you happen to be talking to Cindy in FFXV and she then assumes the game is full of sex stuff and gives you shit for hours because of that 10 seconds she saw lol

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Games have never really outraged my parents, but my dad is always floored by how hood they can look sometimes. The first instance of this was when I got my GameCube for Christmas of 2003 along with Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and Melee and Sonic Adventure 2), and at the beginning of the game where you're shooting gnomes at the Weasleys' house, for some reason, my dad was amazed at how realistic this one brick wall looked.

Top Bottom