• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tin foil hats not included. What if all these negative Sony articles are just to lower expectations for an eventual resurgence story for Sony?

HawarMiran

Banned
or maybe it's just cause sony ain't been doing too well?

nah, it can't be that! this place won't hear anything negative said about Sony. so of course this all must mean that Sony is to come out kicking ass in the future. surely it has to be that?!?! right?

/s

wow you need to get some sunlight.
wow and you need actual interactions with humans, so you can learn how to spot a joke :messenger_sad_relieved:

but deep down, the core of the message is: SONY IS SIGMA, XBOX IS BETA AS FUCK

Last edited:

yurinka

Trust me theres loads more on PS3.

I miss them lol

I’d pay for them again, both my PS1 and PS2 classics
I got a full BC PS3, so didn't need to buy digital games. I played my PS1 and PS2 discs directly there so only got some of them for PSP or Vita. Regarding the amount of PS2 Classic games on PS4 and PS5 I think they are 59 games.

If they bring back PS1 Classics and include more PS2 Classics, I'd prefer them crossbuy as they were in PSP, Vita or PS3. So if you bought these games there you'd able to download and play them on PS4 and PS5 with no extra purchase needed.

Kokoloko85

I got a full BC PS3, so didn't need to buy digital games. I played my PS1 and PS2 discs directly there so only got some of them for PSP or Vita. Regarding the amount of PS2 Classic games on PS4 and PS5 I think they are 59 games.

If they bring back PS1 Classics and include more PS2 Classics, I'd prefer them crossbuy as they were in PSP, Vita or PS3. So if you bought these games there you'd able to download and play them on PS4 and PS5 with no extra purchase needed.

Ah I had a fat PS3 too but Ive lost and sold alot my games in my younger days. Atm I have 256gb worth of PS1 games on my PS Classic I modded, but I want them on my PS5 lol

I doubt they will allow crossbuy but yeah Ill take them either way. Make it happen Yurinka

Zeroing

Banned
Most media is American, let’s call what it is. You think if the Xbox one and PS4 roles were reversed, the media would be as nice towards the PS4 as it was to the Xbox one?

Most of the interviews of PlayStation executives are from European outlets.

yes also true that the core at PlayStation was changed, new people new time to adjust, the pandemic etc.

you see uproar on the media over certain non American brands.. and free pass to the American ones…

For example: Apple with their faulty butterfly keyboard was a mess yet no uproar.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I think a big part of all this is that Sony simply sucks at PR. They don't get engaged enough with the community and say things that are easily taken out of context and used against them. And their messaging is often just wrong. Demon Souls Remake was announced for PS5 and PC and then just PS5. Spider-Man was PS5 exclusive and then it was PS4 as well. These are simple cases where they should have been upfront and/or correct the first time around.

What Sony does do right and continues to do is make great games and that is where the focus should ultimately be. Jim Ryan is never going to be as slick as Phil Spencer. There is just no way. But as long as the games keep coming like they have consistently the last 5 or 6 years, I'm fine with that. And I think most PlayStation fans are as well.

As far as the gaming media, let's be clear. Most of them are just regular folks who threw up a WordPress blog. We are not talking about quality journalists like @Abriael_GN in the vast majority of cases. You have a few well-respected sites and then a shit-ton of wannabes who are playing pretend. They want attention and for many creating spectacle is one way of getting it. It is called "click bait" for a reason. Having said that, Sony needs to not make it easier for these hacks.
Very well said, it feels like sony is taking a lot of the wrong lessons from nintendo, at least in terms of pr. Glad to see them doing well, but i wish they were as talkative as they were a few years ago.

Rippa

I love all these entitled idiots claiming that SONY being too quiet about their business decisions is bad news.

You’re all delusional if you think there’s something currently wrong with SONY.

Just look at the outstanding sales and come back with something better.

They’ll trickle out info on new games and people will gobble it up. It’s genius!

Resurgence? What the fuck? As far as I'm aware, their stuff still sells crazy well and they have a loud fanbase.

Are Sony fans about to go through what us NintenCHADS have gone through since the Wii? If so geez good luck my boys.

On Demand

Banned
LOL at this dude having a meltdown. Does it hurt you when people say Sony is failing? Are Sony characters coming over your house greasing your nuts with ky jelly or putting money in your bank account? Did you hire Ellie from the Last of Us to manage day to day tasks for you. I said "Sony would be fine" My house has a PS3 and Two PS4s. Have you been doing mushrooms like Mario. I said the general public does not really care whats wrote online " You're the one that doesn't make sense. I have my Sony loving bro in law even saying Xbox is coming out with great games. Normal people can see that.

Also you know its fine that not everyone shares mine or your opinion? You know that some people can think that Sony doesnt have any good titles out worth playing right now. Just because you love ratchet and clank doesnt mean everyone has interest in that. In the same vein while Gamepass seems/is the best value in gaming to many its okay that you might not like it.

I provided historical data that Sony is not “planting for a fall” along with proof that news articles don’t affect sales, and you still come back with this childish garbage and opinionated concerns based off the press and anecdotal evidence.

Nice.

yurinka

A PR resurgence.
But why they would need it and what is wrong with their PR?

Let's recap some facts of their current results to see if they need to fix something:
-Sony generates more revenue than any console platform holder in gaming history
-There are more games sold worldwide for PS4 than for any other console in gaming history
-PS5 is beating PS4 records of fastest selling console ever worldwide and new console shipments get sold out in a few minutes meaning the demand is way higher than the supply they can offer
-Sony exclusives have been dominating GOTY awards in the last decade
-Sony games are selling better now than they ever have
-Sony makes more money from game subscriptions than the other console makers
-Sony has a better perfomance on YouTube and social media than the other console makers and even breaks game industry records here

Everything is going great on their side, if there's a few legit unhappy people or a few retarded fanboys writing clickbaity fud and shit articles they won't care about it because it doesn't afect them at all, all their main metrics are great and many of them in gaming history record levels.

They don't need to fix or improve anything on their PR side, they are achieving awesome record results with their current PR strategy.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Resurgence? What the fuck? As far as I'm aware, their stuff still sells crazy well and they have a loud fanbase.

Are Sony fans about to go through what us NintenCHADS have gone through since the Wii? If so geez good luck my boys.
Thats the fear. Nintendo is only talkative when there backs are up agains the wall. They showed so many exciting projects in 2017 because they had to get people on board for their new platform. Now that they are on, they are interested in giving us as little info as they can get away with. Sony seems to be doing the same thing. Its a stark contrast to all the hype and press conferences we had from playstation around 2013-2018. I feel like five years ago i was always excited for something playstation related, now they arent giving me much reason to be excited about their upcoming line up. Of course we know horizon, god of war, and gran turismo will be out in the next 1-2 years, but thats about it, and we dont know much about those games. By all accounts horizon seems to be delayed to next year, but they’ve yet to do anything to confirm or deny these reports. They had a great launch, for sure. But i dont feel excited about the directors cuts of ghosts of tsushima, or death stranding, or kena as i do about games like psychonauts 2, flight simulator, halo infinite or forza horizon 5. But of course, microsoft had a pretty shit holiday and first half of the year, so its about time they picked up the pace. Sony on the other hand seems to be stepping on the brakes. I understand that they are selling well, but as a fan their silence is frustrating. I felt really excited about xbox after this years “e3”, I want sony to give me that same sense of excitement around their brand again. I think a lot of people who are writing these articles probably want that too.

Umbasaborne

Banned
But why they would need it and what is wrong with their PR?

Let's recap some facts of their current results to see if they need to fix something:
-Sony generates more revenue than any console platform holder in gaming history
-There are more games sold worldwide for PS4 than for any other console in gaming history
-PS5 is beating PS4 records of fastest selling console ever worldwide and new console shipments get sold out in a few minutes meaning the demand is way higher than the supply they can offer
-Sony exclusives have been dominating GOTY awards in the last decade
-Sony games are selling better now than they ever have
-Sony makes more money from game subscriptions than the other console makers
-Sony has a better perfomance on YouTube and social media than the other console makers and even breaks game industry records here

Everything is going great on their side, if there's a few legit unhappy people or a few retarded fanboys writing clickbaity fud and shit articles they won't care about it because it doesn't afect them at all, all their main metrics are great and many of them in gaming history record levels.

They don't need to fix or improve anything on their PR side, they are achieving awesome record results with their current PR strategy.
So, you would be dissapointed if sony had a big games event to announce new first party ps5 games because they dont “need” to? Are you a fan or a stake holder?

yurinka

So, you would be dissapointed if sony had a big games event to announce new first party ps5 games because they dont “need” to? Are you a fan or a stake holder?
I think they don't need to make big announcements or a big event, so I think they won't make it. Which means if they don't do it I won't be surprised or dissapointed.

I think they will continue making State of Play streams every month or two, focusing them on key games to be released in the next months after the stream. With this strategy they have been performing in record levels, so don't need to waste a lot of money on a big event if their consoles still sell out in a few minutes.

The main announcements I expect them to make for the rest of 2021 are:
-New Horizon 2 trailer to announce its specific release date
-GoWR gameplay reveal trailer and launch window announcement (I think they will say 'H1 2022' or 'Q2 2022')
-Uncharted 4 PC gameplay and PC features trailer and release date announcement
-TLOU2 Director's Cut specific State of Play to announce it as a bundle that would include TLOU2 PS5, TLOU1 remake and maybe the standalone TLOU2 game they are working on. To be released in 2022 for PS5, and the remake for PC too, on time for the TLOU2 show
-Bluepoint acquisition pretty likely at the same time they announce their next game: a MGS remake published by Sony close to the release of Sony's MGS movie (I assume 2022 too)

And out of these main announcements the only one it would dissapoint me if we don't get it this year would be the GoWR one, because as fan it's my most anticipated game right now.

I think they will wait until 2022 to hype the other already announced 2022 games and to announce more big 2022 exclusives, being their biggest announcement Spider-Man 2. I think they may have additional important stuff to be revealed in 2022 like the PSVR2 full reveal and big PS Now changes and improvements.

With all this, I expect them to achieve their target of PS5 being the fastest selling console ever launch aligned at the end of this fiscal year, and with new shipments still selling out in minutes worldwide.

Last edited:
I provided historical data that Sony is not “planting for a fall” along with proof that news articles don’t affect sales, and you still come back with this childish garbage and opinionated concerns based off the press and anecdotal evidence.

Nice.
You need to take some time off from video game wars and attacking people that have opposite opinions. Its not that serious to most people I assure you. You're probably in your 20s. when you get a little older you'll look back on these years with disgust.

Maximusz

Try Harder God Of War GIF by PlayStation

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's just websites trying to survive in a day where most people get their video game news from 1 or 2 sites or YouTubers

I can't wait for Sony to show their next slate of exclusives, it's going to shut all of these people up
... Only for them to start complaining again about another inconsequential thing two weeks later.

Top Bottom