• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Metal Announced for Switch (Advance Wars like game, also on PC/PS4)

Searched and didn't see a thread posted. Looks really nice and the gameplay looks to be pretty snappy.

Gameplay Trailer

tumblr_oq2g20Yqb71s2z1y6o2_540.jpg

Overview said:
TINY METAL is all about the gameplay. We are experienced Japanese video game developers who have come together to develop TINY METAL. We believe that can make world renowned games again. Our history dates back to the golden era of Japanese video games.
We put Japanese war gaming into the latest graphicial package modern hardware can provide. TINY METAL features 13 unique units and never before seen gameplay mechanics. TINY METAL is the Japanese Arcade Wargame you wish you had as a kid.
STORY
Play as Artemisian Lieutenant, Nathan Gries, as he commands his units to victory against the villainous nation of Zipang.
There will be several friends and enemies along the way with varied factions, units, and abilities in the 8-10 hours of single player campaign gameplay. Players will have to carefully consider varying terrain, positioning for attacks, and strategic advancements and defenses.

Via JapaneseNintendo

Eolz

Nice! It's a shame they failed their kickstarter last time, mainly due to communication issues and a bad campaign.
Hope all the best for this!

Kade

I wonder if they've secured funding then. I remember pledging to the Kickstarter but unfortunately they didn't reach their goal.

Yeah I thought this was cancelled initially after the failed kickstarter but, it's still being worked on. I know I gripe about Advance Wars being long gone or at least seems to be long gone but, I am kinda glad to see stuff like this. I just hope the quality is on point really.
First Wargroove now this.

Is Advance Wars the next franchise after F-Zero to get a bunch of indie versions?

Probably.

duckroll

Did they ever announce who was actually making this? Always wary of gameplay driven projects where they showcase the staff for every aspect except actual game design.

baconcow

Advance Wars is one of my favourite series. While this looks interesting, the vehicular units are absolutely huge and it looks cluttered. Some of them take up nearly their entire space. That and there are icons next to every unit that clutters them further.

Corpekata

Banned
Have a lot more confidence in Wargroove (mainly in that the devs clearly have more resources and are patient with their releases) but looks solid enough.

Buzzi

Probably I'm the only one, but that style makes it immediately higher on my list than Wargroove. It shows spirit and doesn't look like a reskin of AW2.

That said, hoping it can deliver through gameplay, and hopefully come to Switch so portability value can be on board.

redcrayon

This looks really good, nice to see an update on the AW-style grid.

I'm assuming the grey blocks are a fog-of-war effect? I quite like that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
While Nintendo continues to ignore their "Wars" series, others can eat their lunch. This by the way looks really nice.

Metal B

While Nintendo continues to ignore their "Wars" series, others can eat their lunch. This by the way looks really nice.
The "Wars" series didn't sell well in the past and, i guess, Nintendo doesn't want to touch the series, until they find a good, new idea to market it (similar to F-Zero). I love the series, but i can see, why they put there money into other projects.

In my opinion the "Wars"-series biggest problem was creating memorable characters and art-design, which stuck with the audience. As fun as the characters of the GBA-Wars series were, they were very generic and didn't have good storylines.
Similar to Fire Emblem the gameplay itself is very simple looking (by design), so the characters and the stories have to carry the charm. But while Fire Emblem got players hocked, the Wars series was always wiredly comical and incomprehendable (people are dying and the COs sound like, its all fun and games! How does this world work?!).
The developers actually notice that and tried to course correct with Days of Ruin, but went to far on one side and alienate fans of the pervious games on the other side.

I think I recall excitedly downloading and playing a demo on PC, only to be disappointed in the end. I hope they've drastically improved it since then.

Deft Beck

Probably I'm the only one, but that style makes it immediately higher on my list than Wargroove. It shows spirit and doesn't look like a reskin of AW2.

That said, hoping it can deliver through gameplay, and hopefully come to Switch so portability value can be on board.

On the contrary: It looks like they're throwing every post-processing effect on the graphics that they can.

Wargroove looks much more consistent.

Aters

Wargroove's character design is too dreadful. This one looks like the real deal. Hype.

edit: the art direction is on point. Love the look of it! Man indie games are filling the void in my heart.

TDLink

This and Wargroove can both coexist. Wargroove is doing the classic spritework style from AW mixed with a fantasy setting. Tiny Metal is basically doing Advance Wars exactly but with a graphical leap into polygonal 3D.

Both look good and are going for slightly different things.

Gamegeneral

I have only just now realized that Wargroove and this aren't the same game. I'm thrilled to have TWO advance-wars style games after the drought since DoR.

Dissent-

Neo Member
That fog of war effect looks unappealing to me. Hopefully there's a way to see the map layout without having to face-check all the fog.

This and Wargroove can both coexist. Wargroove is doing the classic spritework style from AW mixed with a fantasy setting. Tiny Metal is basically doing Advance Wars exactly but with a graphical leap into polygonal 3D.

Both look good and are going for slightly different things.

Best way to look at it. I'm getting both.

Top Bottom