• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall: 15 maps at launch (?), perk lists, game modes, Map Photos, ahoy!

Gartooth

14 sounds like a good number for the game. I admit I was getting very worried that we weren't hearing anything about maps aside from the same three, so confirmation that the total number isn't under 10 is good to me.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Here are the game modes. Bare in mind this is from the beta files and I think this is all that I can find. These were gathered from the game mode announcements.

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing
HP - Hardpoint

edit - my bad, LTS is Last Titan Standing

Megasoum

Banned
Here are the game modes. Bare in mind this is from the beta files and I think this is all that I can find. These were gathered from the game mode announcements.

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing

LTS is Last Titan Standing, it's already in the beta.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The game's 599:- ($93) on Origin.
It's £35 ($59) on GMG.
I don't know how they ever sell anything. Baffling.

Because some ill informed people think buying from Origin means they'll get into beta. Considering at least a hundred people spent $20 just to get into the beta lol.

Amir0x

Banned

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing

Thanks. So we probably we get a full lay of the land on game modes and weapons until the actual release. We know there is also campaign multiplayer mode and things like that.

Very interesting package so far. Very curious to see where the market falls as to its value on consoles, but as someone who isn't into Titanfall based on what I've played, I do think they've put together a good package in terms of value for a multiplayer only game.

Duxxy3

content wise, yet to see $60 justified.

to sell dlc after 13 maps and $60 is kind of lame.

I'm not seeing it either.

There were threads in the past about how activision should split COD single player and multiplayer, and price them at $30.

Respawn basically followed through with that idea, but they are charging full price for half of a game.

Ran Ran

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing

Oh man CTF will be crazy fun

mmitt

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing

thanks for the mining :) interesting stuff so far

AT and TDM seperate entries is weird though, aren't those two basically the same? maybe TDM will be a mode without the AI?
also no entry for Hardpoint which is already in the beta?

How many different modes in the game?

I keep seeing multiplayer modes, but what about those single player campaign like levels. Wasn't that supposed to be one of the major differences with Titanfall? All I am seeing is the same ol' same ol.

But man ... they are making it tough for me to purchase on PC at full price. 60$ for 14 maps, no single player campaigns, same ol' XP system, no modding, etc.

Milennia

TDM and attrition being seperate modes is a damn good idea.
appeases 2 audiences to an extent.
assuming TDM is botless, where as attrition would have bots.

RazorUK

AT and TDM seperate entries is weird though, aren't those two basically the same? maybe TDM will be a mode without the AI?

That is true. Hardpoint was not listed with the data I found but obviously is mentioned. I'll have to keep checking but the ones I posted were certainly in.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
13 or 14 seems pretty decent to me if they are all playable in every mode. This is purely my opinion, but seeing MW2 being called a great value compared to Titanfall just because it had a single player campaign and a bunch of maps is just crazy. MW2 felt stale to me within the first 30 minutes of playing it. It felt like the exact same shit I had spent a couple hundred hours playing in COD4. I honestly don't think I've ever regretted a day 1 purchase more than MW2. I ended up giving it to my girlfriends son the same day I bought it. Fired my WoW account back up and vowed to never touch a COD game again. I know a lot of people loved it, but it just felt like the same tired formula. It didn't matter one bit to me that there were a lot of maps.

This line of thinking that a multiplayer focused game has to have a single player campaign tacked on to have "value" is just crazy to me. Look at Battlefield 4 and all the horrendous bugs and performance issues it's had since launch. Was that shitfest single player campaign worth all the man hours that could have been spent polishing the real meat of the game and making sure that the multiplayer actually worked properly? It's a completely forgettable 5 hour trudge fest that you have to play to unlock 3 multiplayer weapons. People are going to spend hundreds of hours playing battlefield 4 and about 5 of those hours will be dedicated to the single player. Maybe 2-5 percent of the total play time. Completely not worth it in my opinion. Some of the best MP games ever didn't need to have some tacked on single player garbage so they could mark a check list on the back of the box to show their "value" BF 1942-no single player, great game. BF2-no single player, great game. Tribes 1(best game ever)-no single player. Personally, I'm glad Respawn hasn't devoted even a second of their time and manpower to making a single player mode that will be played once and then never touched again. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't strive to deliver a big multiplayer package, but in my opinion, if you're going to make a multiplayer focused game, then it's a better use of time to make the best MP game they can, and not worry about trying squeeze in a bunch of half assed modes so it sounds better on the back of the box. The sad thing is that I bet they could make a pretty kickass single player game based in the titanfall universe. The Sci Fi setting, Titans and Parkour aspect would certainly make it more fun than a COD or BF campaign.

RazorUK

These are the titan and player perks mixed together. I've added the names of the perks from the Beta.

auto_eject - Auto Eject
build_up_nuclear_core - Nuclear Ejection
dash_recharge
dead_mans_trigger
defensive_core
doomed_time - Survivor
enhanced_titan_ai
fast_reload - Fast Autoloader
hyper_core
icepick
longer_bubble - Dome Shield Battery
marathon_core
minimap_ai - Minion Detector
ordnance_pack - Explosive Pack
power_cell - Power Cell
run_and_gun
shield_regen - Regen Booster
stealth_movement
titan_punch
turbo_drop - Warpfall Transmitter
wall_runner - Enhanced Parkour kit

TedNindo

If the maps are of the same quality as the two in the Beta than I'm pretty happy. More =/= better.

Btw. What's the problem with full priced multiplayer games? Quake 3 and UT were also full price.
Must be console gamers not being used to it?

REV 09

14 is probably an acceptable amount, but a few more wouldn't hurt for mp only. Most CoD games launch with that many maps and have campaign and co-op. Ghosts had 14 maps at launch.

Milennia

These are the titan and player perks mixed together. I'll have to play the beta again but are there any new ones?

auto_eject
build_up_nuclear_core
dash_recharge
dead_mans_trigger
defensive_core
doomed_time
enhanced_titan_ai
fast_reload
hyper_core
icepick
longer_bubble
marathon_core
minimap_ai
ordnance_pack
power_cell
run_and_gun
shield_regen
stealth_movement
titan_punch
turbo_drop
wall_runner

yeah, over half of these are new.
im assuming dead mans trigger is the pilot equivalent of nuclear.. in other words, martydom.
it shouldnt have much affect on this game if it is the case, considering how easy it is to get away as opposed to the other titles it was included in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm not seeing the ET like online campaign here either despite in the beta maps having the AA guns from one of them on it.

There's also supposedly a campaign/story mode. I don't think they've really explained what that means yet, but I would guess it's various objective based missions set among the mp maps with a story cutscene before the mission.
After spending extensive time in the two maps and 3 modes in the beta, I feel very comfortable spending $60 on this game when it launches

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not seeing the ET like online campaign here either despite in the beta maps having the AA guns from one of them on it.

Hey Nirolak can you change the title to:

Titanfall: 14 maps at launch (?), perk lists, game modes inside!

All the updated info is in the OP.

Kade

Game like this needs a map editor.

But 13 is quite a lot.

I really, really hope that a map editor is released for this game but it's never going to happen. This is one of those games that would be really fun and challenging to make good maps for; having to accommodate both your traditional flanking routes, cover and open air med-long range combat zones as well as pilot traversal, Titan sizes, etc.

It's a fucking crime that more MP games don't support modding. I imagine its getting increasingly more difficult to find talented (or otherwise) map makers that aren't already a part of the industry.

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks Nirolak although we should indicate the name of the game in the title :D

Edit: Hardpoint Capture and Capture the Flag are different modes, right?

RazorUK

Thanks Nirolak although we should indicate the name of the game in the title :D

Edit: Hardpoint Capture and Capture the Flag are different modes, right?

Yeah I think so, there are strings like:

ctf_enemyhasourflag
ctf_wetookenemyflag
ctf_wedroppedenemyflag

BTW i edited my perk post to have the perks in the beta labeled.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah. Hardpoint is one of the modes in the beta - Titanfall's Territories/Conquest mode.

So this is what I have then for modes so far

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Titan Standing
HPC - Hardpoint Capture
VM - Variety Mode (a mix of all the other modes listed, sans campaign)

And we can add

Campaign Multiplayer

What does everything think so far?

BY2K

Membero Americo

AT - Attrition
TDM - Team Deathmatch
CTF - Capture the Flag
LTS - Last Team Standing
HP - Hardpoint

Aren't Attrition and TDM pretty much the same thing?

Xater

MW2
18 Campaign missions
23 Spec Ops missions (2 player splitscreen)
16 multiplayer maps (2-4 player splitscreen)

vs

Titanfall
14 multiplayer maps (no splitscreen)

Well I said before, if you do a MP only game better deliver more maps than your average FPS that also comes with MP. It would definitely look better if their map count was closer to 20 than 10.

Man UT delivered so many maps it was awesome and they even patched in some for free later on. Games back then did MP only better in that sense.

CTF being in is cool though. That could be exciting with the mobility in this game.

Mayyhem

I don't know how a lot of you are completely fine with this. Way to reward mediocrity. I love the game and will be getting it day one but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed with the map count.

For an MP only game at least 16 would be more fair.

hidden offline

Neo Member
These are the titan and player perks mixed together. I've added the names of the perks from the Beta.

auto_eject - Auto Eject
dash_recharge
dead_mans_trigger
defensive_core
doomed_time - Survivor
enhanced_titan_ai
hyper_core
icepick
marathon_core
power_cell - Power Cell
run_and_gun
stealth_movement
titan_punch
Thank you very much for posting this. Wonder if ice pick lets you stick to walls or possibly climb them.

recks

auto_eject - Auto Eject
dash_recharge
dead_mans_trigger
defensive_core
doomed_time - Survivor
enhanced_titan_ai
hyper_core
icepick
marathon_core
power_cell - Power Cell
run_and_gun
stealth_movement
titan_punch

Isn't hyper_core, defensive_core and marathon_core, the titans core abilities?

hyper_core -> Damage Core (Atlas), defensive_core -> Shield Core (Ogre) and marathon_core -> Dash Core (Stryder)

[Tinfoil hat]

A single player campaign exists and is still being worked on now. It was cut purposefully to be put into the PS4 Titanfall iteration, along with the current Titanfall MP mode. That way they can get a PS4 iteration out later this year and maintain the exclusivity deal on TF1 with MS.

[/tinfoil hat]

14 maps at release seems pretty solid as long as they are all available and some aren't part of an on disk DLC package.

RazorUK

Isn't hyper_core, defensive_core and marathon_core, the titans core abilities?

hyper_core -> Damage Core (Atlas), defensive_core -> Shield Core (Ogre) and marathon_core -> Dash Core (Stryder)

That is a good point. Perhaps they are hidden perks they apply based on the titan you pick.

Aren't Attrition and TDM pretty much the same thing?

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that on the list either lol. Attrition is Titanfall's deathmatch mode. Though it's possible the game is pulling a Gears 3 and is mixing its Attrition mode (varying points for Titan, Player Character, AI kills, etc) alongside some sort of more "traditional" team deathmatch.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare map counts directly between all games. You can't, for example, say a single Call of Duty map equals a single Halo map. Halo maps tend to be larger and include more complexities, such as support for the forge map editor. I'd argue a similar case for Titanfall. In its case, assets for all maps are unique since there's obviously no single-player campaign to borrow textures and skyboxes from.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing there are only five modes; and bog standard ones at that is a little disconcerting. That can't be the whole story. Game is still going to be a tremendous value, but I really hope there's more than meets the eye here. I mean, no sort of check point race mode? No payload? No keep away? Surely you jest.

Top Bottom