• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Finally fixed my Origin PC downloading issue and starting playing on PC again, and oh boy what a difference it is, slidehopping with KB/M takes a while to adapt tho.

So I read the last page of this thread and would also like to report running into HackersNightmayr multiple times over the last week on PC. He was legitimately 180 quickscoping me from 200m+ away with the Kraber while I was cloaked, multiple times. He mainly played Ronin and even if I was invisible would instantly snap to me no matter where I was and kill me with Leadwall. The last match I ran into him I simply backed out because it was a waste of time. I've had multiple lobbies report him for cheating so to hear that he's still doing his thing is infuriating. Isn't there a Respawn employee that posts here? Maybe they could pass along the message or something.

One hacker in a sea of players normally isn't too much of a headache, but because the player pop on PC is so small you run into the same players quite often. Hopefully he gets banned soon.

Yeah I've seen him a few times as well, I hope he gets dealt with shortly. It's something I like about the relatively low but stable player count in Titanfall 2, you kind of start knowing the regulars and see familiar faces a lot. I played an illegal amount of Titanfall 2 these past couple of days, I just had the compulsion to have all my titans and weapons regened, and I made sure to have all factions to G3 while I keep Marauders as my main from here on out as I don't want to have to switch every time I pilot regen.

There was a lot of personal misery in regening some of those weapons, but now with all the attachments and stat trackers unlocked I can just ignore everything and be a CAR/R-101 whore like everyone else.

The grappling hook in this game has become one of my favourite FPS mobility tools since rocket jumping. It's just so, so, SO satisfying to slingshot yourself into a chain of slidehops.

TheChits

I've pretty much only played Northstar with a tiny bit of Scorch since release. I feel like I'm noticing significantly more Ronins now and am just getting chewed up and spit out whenever they see me :(

Huh. Unless that ion lazor buff makes the thing near one-shot a titan, can't quite see how it could ever compete with a combined 5waysplit+energy recoup.

A specific friendly hold to rodeo is gonna be a big QOL improvement for me.

Being able to toggle the FD shoulder piece is nice because I quite like some of those skins but I don't really care about FD mode itself, so I'll probably never have it leveled up.

And damn it, Respawn has got me hook line and sinker. Since they're not in the business of random pack gambling microtransactions and just do the unheard of and have them all available piecemeal and in bundles, I just can't help but buy the bundles.

Greedings

The Catch 22 of playing with a bad team on FD:

If I take a tank, I can't rely on my team to take out mortar titans and sniper titans.

If I take a roamer/all rounder, I can't rely on my team to stay near the harvester and tank.

The Catch 22 of playing with a bad team on FD:

If I take a tank, I can't rely on my team to take out mortar titans and sniper titans.

If I take a roamer/all rounder, I can't rely on my team to stay near the harvester and tank.

Yeah, even when I'm not supposed to be tanking, I usually stay near the harvester. I had a game once where the only tank (Scorch) on our team was halfway across the map. He wasn't going after mortar titans or anything, he was just going after everything that shot at him.

fwiw you really don't *need* a dedicated tank on normal, and can even wing it without one on hard if you've got another decent player in the comp. Thus, if i'm not legiorching and there's already enough arc mines lying around, will save for the harvest shield so that i can get my ass to the mortar titans if needed.

Having a good scorch sure does make things a whooole lot easier, tho. no denying that.

Also does seem that one is much less likely to run into a wretched team on hard and up.

(wont deny that i prefer rise simply due to mortars being taken out of the equation tho >_>)

My friends and I lost a match on War Games (Hard) because the random Scorch decided to go with me to the other side of the map and deal with Mortar Titans... all 3 attempts on wave 5

I had a Sword Core, go defend the Harvester from the incoming Legions and Monarchs

I played a couple of matches of Titanfall 1 recently as I just snagged a copy to see what it was like. A couple matches of Attrition, one match of Campaign. It's a lot more different than I was expecting, but I'm still lamenting over how a game this good and recent can be this dead. Worldwide population was sitting at less than 150 on PC when I was on.

Just some quick thoughts. The five year difference between the two games must've been rough for Sarah Briggs because she looks so much better in Titanfall 1. Wallrunning actually feels like running against a wall. Where's my slide at? Where's my grapple at? I haven't gotten a full handle on how different Titans were but they seem more modular in terms of loadout in this one? Man, this game is just so slate and grey!

Anyways, from a first impression I find myself preferring the second, but I do want to dabble in the first and get a better sense of it if for nothing more than the novelty.

Just did a regular frontier defense game on Drydock. Very interesting arc ronin pattern on the final wave. There are two mortar titans, and the arc ronins spend a good chunk of the wave just circling the outer perimeter protecting the mortar titans.

So I was cleaning up some trophies for this tonight and jumped into multi player for the first time. It turned out to be a lot of fun. The menu at first was confusing as hell but I got through it and stuck with a basic premade loadout. Didn't do too well but got a good few kills. Leaping on Titans is a lot of fun.

kriskrosbbk

Guys I cannot download 1.10 on PS4 Pro . I tried 10 times since yesterday and the patch gives me an errro " Cannot download" . Ihave 53GB of space. Anyone else?

Edit: Obviously 53gb was not enough to dload the patch. I just cannot imagine how these things work. Deleted some content and the patch started to download. Go figure.

Finally got Angel City FD to pop up on the rotation. Whoever designed the waves in that map deserves kudos, especially for the first wave. Saw the 80 specters and went "the fuck", and then lo, the map forces you to run all over the place to get them. Most excellent.

Also love the stalke trains.

Did feel deeply stupid when i decided to enter the mp A/V options and noticed the fov and film grain sliders >_>
Also TF1 music is much more climatic.

"Call down your Titan and try two levels of Titanfall™ 2's critically-acclaimed campaign mode."

not multiplayer :(

it is. Same as bf1.

This game is such hot garbage lol When I try to avoid the CoD bullshit modes I have LTS and TB to remind just how awful the Titan changes are. What a fucking waste.

Since the last update when I play I get frequent lag where my character seems to be skipping along. Ping shows 60-80 range so not sure whats up. Titan play is tolerable but pilot play is too fluid to have that kind of hiccups. PS4 btw.

Finally got Angel City FD to pop up on the rotation. Whoever designed the waves in that map deserves kudos, especially for the first wave. Saw the 80 specters and went "the fuck", and then lo, the map forces you to run all over the place to get them. Most excellent.

Indeed!

While I've only been able to play on it probably once only thus far, I was pretty surprised that they did that

Greedings

I really liked Angel City FD too. Had a great time playing Scorch on there, the sheer numbers of Reapers just made me so happy to set my fire down and listen to the ticking noise of success.

Try Insane, you will not survive.

Oh no doubt. Managing to make it through on Master now, even if we use up all our retries.

Except for dry dock. Not been in a team yet that has managed to make it past the first wave. The distance between harvester and where the nuke titans drop is insane.

Started out with Frontier Defense this weekend and am enjoying it. It really matters who you have on your team. Easy with a shit team is crazy hard whereas Regular with a good team is easy peasy.

Anyone on here play FD on PS4? I was thinking of joining the GAF network in-game if it would help me get matched up with better players. I'd like to try Master difficulty eventually.

The progression has come at a nice pace, but it was a double XP weekend so it might be grindier without that. Fun stuff overall, though. Use your turrets and arc traps people!

yeah, im on ps4. Name's CaiusCoriolanus. play a coupla rounds pretty much every night.

Also regular is almost always easier than easy, simply because only completely new guys do Easy. Even if you've a completely unranked titan, just hop straight into Regular.

Then you move onto Hard and watch the purchase log like a hawk to see which bastards are picking up nuke and amp battery every goddamn round. If there's more than one, you might wanna bail then and there.

Interesting you say that about batteries. Is it frowned upon to buy them? If my titan has less than half health I usually will buy one (or two if I was doomed). I always wondered why it's so awkward to buy and install multiple batteries (buy one, enter titan, exit titan, buy another, re-enter titan) but now that you've said that it makes me wonder if that's a waste of credits.

Is the thought maybe that if you die you'll eventually get another titan for free anyways so why waste the money? I guess I could see that...

I usually try to get turrets out quick as long as my titan has decent health. After that I'll use the rest of my credits to throw arc traps around.

I'm digging Ion and Legion. Monarch's loadout intrigues me as well so I'll probably give it a spin, but I regenerated my pilot yesterday so now will have to wait until I can afford it or unlock it.

Is it just me, or is Legion totally useless? Hes too slow, his attacks take too long to spin up and do fuck-all for damage. Im really struggling to see how he is better than Scorch at all

I play FD mostly so that might have something to do with it.

Interesting you say that about batteries. Is it frowned upon to buy them? If my titan has less than half health I usually will buy one (or two if I was doomed). I always wondered why it's so awkward to buy and install multiple batteries (buy one, enter titan, exit titan, buy another, re-enter titan) but now that you've said that it makes me wonder if that's a waste of credits.

Is the thought maybe that if you die you'll eventually get another titan for free anyways so why waste the money? I guess I could see that...

I usually try to get turrets out quick as long as my titan has decent health. After that I'll use the rest of my credits to throw arc traps around.

I'm digging Ion and Legion. Monarch's loadout intrigues me as well so I'll probably give it a spin, but I regenerated my pilot yesterday so now will have to wait until I can afford it or unlock it.

Yes. You can get a new titan in under a minute, so why bother? Even if you're rocking Monarch, you can usually get it to lvl 3 quite goddamn fist, especially if you've energy steal. Outside of maaaybe Monarch, there's pretty much no reason to buy a battery. (regular/hard. dunno on master)

Turrets are nearly useless in some levels, fwiw, at least up to hard. Angel City is one, Blackwater Canal is another. Might as well go whole hog with with Arc traps in all three lanes in those.

Is it just me, or is Legion totally useless? Hes too slow, his attacks take too long to spin up and do fuck-all for damage. Im really struggling to see how he is better than Scorch at all

I play FD mostly so that might have something to do with it.

Legion's damage output is completely reliant on round penetration and that kit that gives him 2 r1's. He's pants before that.

Legion also becomes ridonculously stronger once you get the final aegis upgrade since, lol, all kits.

But yes, he's a horrendously boring fucker to play.

Thanks for the insight on batteries and turrets. I did notice that about Angel City. The only thing I could think of to do with turrets there is to put one on the head of the statue that is right in front of the harvester. But it never really gets any kills and gets KO'd all the time.

Legion's damage output is completely reliant on round penetration and that kit that gives him 2 r1's. He's pants before that.

Yeah, that's what makes me like Legion. Spray bullets until those are charged, pepper those into Titan's weak spots, rinse & repeat. I got the Aegis upgrade where the short-range R1 kills without dooming titans, and that has come in handy for a few Nukes near the Harvester. But I guess it does sound boring now that I type that out.

Maybe I'll give Scorch a go.

Only time I buy turrets is when I know I'll be facing a wave of flyers in next round. Otherwise, it's arc traps all the way.

I'll also buy myself batteries if I'm in critical. But only towards later rounds when I know time is of the essence

I accidentally bought Monarch early with credits yesterday so I did a few runs with her. It's a fun class....a lot more involved than Legion, obviously. The re-arm ability is nice, whether to get a couple successive shield steals in or if you need to get in/out in a hurry with an extra dash.

The missiles seem weak, though, but I did shade the build more towards the cannon than I did rockets. I feel I get more damage output with upgrade core choices that favor the gun (arc rounds and the accelerator) than those that favor the missiles (rack and lock-on/damage boost). So I'm basically playing it as a quicker Legion with a smaller clip stealing shields left 'n right. Pretty fun, though it is a little lame that once you have all 3 upgrade cores all you get after that when you're charged up is a new shield.

Don't sleep on monarch's elec cloud farts. Those things can tear enemy titans apart as quickly as scorch's fire if you make the second upgrade go towards them. Monarch can legit rush, fart, and stick around, regaining shields and meleeing=> energystealing whatever drops into doomed.

You also get more farts with more cores, so there's that.

Also since you obv aint gon get the nuke core cuz monarch, might as well get double fartclouds since synergy.

Nheco

Can anyone please convince me to play with any other Titan than Ion?

I already tried to play with Tone and Legion, but I even that Ion isn't invincible, I fell like it is versatile as fuck, with Ion I can adapt to a lot of situations: I really don't fear facing any of the other Titans using Ion. I can't say the same when using another Titan. Off course I need to be able to play with my strengths, there's not much you can do with an angry Ronin in your face except to launch a tripware mine and run for your life (and pray that the Ronin pilot isn't smart enough to just phase shift my mines).

I wanna try another Titans and have fun because I fell like I'm missing a lot of what TF2 has to offer playing just with one Titan.

Drifters

I already tried to play with Tone and Legion, but I even that Ion isn't invincible, I fell like it is versatile as fuck, with Ion can adapt to a lot of situations: I really don't fear facing any of the other Titans using Ion. I can't say the same when using another Titan. Off course I need to be able to play with my strengths, there's not much you can do with an angry Ronin in your face except to launch a tripware mine and run for your life (and pray that the Ronin pilot isn't smart enough to just phase shift my mines).

I wanna try another Titans and have fun because I fell like I'm missing a lot of what TF2 has to offer playing just with one Titan.

Ronin w/ battery boost = people shit their pants.

I already tried to play with Tone and Legion, but I even that Ion isn't invincible, I fell like it is versatile as fuck, with Ion can adapt to a lot of situations: I really don't fear facing any of the other Titans using Ion. I can't say the same when using another Titan. Off course I need to be able to play with my strengths, there's not much you can do with an angry Ronin in your face except to launch a tripware mine and run for your life (and pray that the Ronin pilot isn't smart enough to just phase shift my mines).

I agree about Ion's versatility. If it wasn't for craving variety I would just use it every match. That laser core is to me the best special in the game, especially if you have a couple enemy titans all up in yo face.

I'll second the Monarch recommendation, though. It is similar speed/mobility wise to Ion and you can personalize your loadout more than other titans due to the upgrade cores. You can go missile heavy or gun heavy, and as Coriolanus mentioned above you can throw up the electric clouds for close encounters. The only thing about Monarch that irks me is there isn't much to get excited about core-wise once you have your 3 upgrades, you just get a re-filled shield. edit: also nice about Monarch is the ability to steal enemy titan batteries when you execute them. Between that and the shield siphon it's the best titan for maintaining your HP.

After toying around with Monarch and playing more Ion I found it tough to go back to Legion. I dug Legion quite a bit at first, but re-loading is horrendously slow, as is the titan itself, and spinning up the gun is tiresome. It's R1 is nice though, both long range and up-close.

I'm probably going to throw Tone and/or Scorch into the mix tonight for some more variety, Ronin and Northstar aren't that appealing to me personally.

Nheco

Northstar and Monarch are both super versatile IMO.

I wanna try Monarch, but it looks to me after reading about her on the internet that she is kinda complicated to be effective. I mean, completing several full "special" bars appears to be very hard, unless there are ways to do it fast using Monarch.

She is at least usable without upgrades?

Nheco

Ronin w/ battery boost = people shit their pants.

I'll try it today!

I agree about Ion's versatility. If it wasn't for craving variety I would just use it every match. That laser core is to me the best special in the game, especially if you have a couple enemy titans all up in yo face.

I'll second the Monarch recommendation, though. It is similar speed/mobility wise to Ion and you can personalize your loadout more than other titans due to the upgrade cores. You can go missile heavy or gun heavy, and as Coriolanus mentioned above you can throw up the electric clouds for close encounters. The only thing about Monarch that irks me is there isn't much to get excited about core-wise once you have your 3 upgrades, you just get a re-filled shield. edit: also nice about Monarch is the ability to steal enemy titan batteries when you execute them. Between that and the shield siphon it's the best titan for maintaining your HP.

After toying around with Monarch and playing more Ion I found it tough to go back to Legion. I dug Legion quite a bit at first, but re-loading is horrendously slow, as is the titan itself, and spinning up the gun is tiresome. It's R1 is nice though, both long range and up-close.

I'm probably going to throw Tone and/or Scorch into the mix tonight for some more variety, Ronin and Northstar aren't that appealing to me personally.

Hummm. I'll try Monarch today. My only fear is that I not really good at executions, I usually stay at medium long range. Anyway, thanks for your input!

Drifters

I honestly think the only way you fix Legion's reload is to give him a secondary and tertiary canister for bullets. You would most likely wreck Scorch's and Ion's thinking you've only got one canister.

Alx

I wanna try Monarch, but it looks to me after reading about her on the internet that she is kinda complicated to be effective. I mean, completing several full "special" bars appears to be very hard, unless there are ways to do it fast using Monarch.

She is at least usable without upgrades?

Definitely. I had troubles with it at first, but I started using Monarch recently and it's not that hard to have it survive after all. Its bread and butter is the energy drain + machine gun against titans, and rocket salvo against pilots. Once you know how to check the different loading gauges, you're good to go.
The upgrades will make it more efficient, but won't really change the way you play.

Top Bottom