• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

As a PC guy who hasnt played the Beta but was sure to get this at launch, I am genuinely gutted.

I mean what the fuck actually happened? B team? EA interference? Or just straight up bad decisions during development?

Mechazawa

Are we expecting much difference in the final game? It's presumably going gold in a few weeks.

They can tweak values to make the game faster, make pilots live longer, earn Titans faster, etc.

But yeah, there are aspects of the game that are effectively too late to change now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah they're treating it essentially as a new IP.

Well that was a bad decision then, because TF1 was very unique and fun, all they needed to do was improve on it and add more content, including a single player campaign ala Halo style, plus an offline bot mode or something, and they would have had themselves a very successful game.

Game should have been Titanfall 1 with a campaign and some added fun titan stuff, grapple hook, singularity grenade, all that goodness

the huge changes were not wanted or necessary

Exactly. They done fucked it up, I just can’t understand WHY they did? Seems like some very horrible decisions on their part, like they didn’t even understand what made their own game so damn good?

Strongly reminds me of the Kohan 1 to Kohan 2 fiasco, where the developers had an excellent concept that just needed fleshing out but instead they totally trashed it in their sequel for “reaons”.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That's awful.

As a novice FPS player, that pretty much means I'll never see one of the supposedly main selling points of the game.

Well it's more scorestreak, you can get it from different things like killing enemies, removing batteries from enemy titans etc.

Tomash

That's awful.

As a novice FPS player, that pretty much means I'll never see one of the supposedly main selling points of the game.

It's not a killstreak, it's a scorestreak that doesn't reset upon death, similar to MW3's Support Streaks. Titans and Boosts(increased weapon damage, suicide drones) are both scorestreaks.

Kill3r7

I enjoyed my time with the Tech Test but I agree it is most definitely NOT R1. That is probably my biggest disappointment with it. Also the maps shown so far leave a lot to be desired.

Shady859

As I've read in multiple threads, there was a quote from some respawn guy saying that they weren't treating this as the sequel to Titanfall. Since there would be new platforms, they were basically treating Titanfall 2 as a new IP. This is their new vision.

I just want them to make a sequel to TF1....

Please understand?

I missed the quote but if that was the teams plan and then slap TF2 on the game to push sales then someone needs to be fired.

Squire

Banned
2-Maps are terrible. Almost no thought went into making them. TF1 maps were made with pilots movement/parkour in mind but this one seems like maps from COD or BF.

Presumptions like this will overshadow your criticisms that are legitimate and make devs ignore you altogether. If you really care about the game, you should stick to what you know.

Scanna

I think it's pretty damn amazing and I loved the first One... None of those things bother me, I felt at home from the second match...

Alienous

It seems like they've tripped over themselves chasing Call of Duty.

It's a real shame. Titanfall 1 was great. Titanfall 2, outside of the grappling hook and the slide, is just a compilation of bad game design decisions.

I pre-ordered it, I know some people came from TF1 and BLOPS3 and got their ass handed to them and didn't like it but I really enjoyed it, fast responsive fun gameplay which is the opposite of what those people are saying .
I haven't played TF1 but from the gameplay videos it doesn't look any different.

In the time that I played the Technical Test I regularly topped the scoreboards, and I still think Titanfall 2 is a poor attempt at a Titanfall sequel.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how it'll do on console, but it's not going to be pretty on PC. If you're on Origin playing a shooter this October, there's a good chance you'll be loading up BF1. On top of that you have the negative impressions, lack of a beta, and the quick death of TF1. Good luck.

Plus no server browsers (not confirmed but looking likely, just like TF1 on PC) etc which BF1 supports. DICE knows what they're doing.

mrqs

Felt the same way. I was excited, but now i can't even think about buying it with Battlefield 1 so close to it.

CrazE

Banned
As I've read in multiple threads, there was a quote from some respawn guy saying that they weren't treating this as the sequel to Titanfall. Since there would be new platforms, they were basically treating Titanfall 2 as a new IP. This is their new vision.

I just want them to make a sequel to TF1....

Great. I blame the PS4 for all the hate the game is getting then! (I had fun with the alpha and can't wait for Friday to play more!)

I am not sure why people are mad about the battery thing. I think its awesome that you can steal a battery from an Enemy titan and put it in a friendly one. I played a lot of TF1 and really the only thing that is missing from TF2 is the speed and challenges. I love that the Titans are way more different now. The first game had no variety for titans. They all did the same thing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
k1yXfmE.jpg

rofls

I agree with the movement being slower I wouldn't mind going back to faster movement and momentum like Titanfall 1.

I hope they don't listen to the babies crying about putting Titans back on a timer. I don't like that they gifted you a Titan in Titanfall.

Titans are powerful and should be earned. I got like 4-6 a game In the new mode with AI they aren't hard to get get. Hardpoint was a not balanced properly for Titan build time so that will be fixed next week according to a Dev who posted here.

Complaining about the maps I understand but we have only seen two maps and while I didn't enjoy the open field map the boomtown one was alright. Hopefully they have some maps similar to the original cuz I miss the verticality.

vg260

Well it's more scorestreak, you can get it from different things like killing enemies, removing batteries from enemy titans etc.

It's not a killstreak, it's a scorestreak that doesn't reset upon death, similar to MW3's Support Streaks. Titans and Boosts(increased weapon damage, suicide drones) are both scorestreaks.

It still sounds like it's very unfriendly towards novice players.

Kill3r7

That's awful.

If you kill grunts which is one of the objectives you will eventually get a Titan. I am sure this is one of the areas Respawn will address before the game is out.

As someone who very much enjoyed TF1 and was looking forward to this, i don't think i'll be getting it. I did not enjoy this at all. The lack of AI and the map design are the two biggest negatives for me, but in combination with all the other things mentioned here it's just completely put me off it unless things change drastically, which is unlikely.

It just doesn't feel like they had any idea what they were really doing when making it. Most of these design choices are just stupid and suggest they don't really understand the first game and why it was good. It reminds me of how one of the Battlefield devs once said something along the lines of "We don't know what made Bad Company 2 fun".

Alienous

I agree with the movement being slower I wouldn't mind going back to faster movement and momentum like the Titanfall 1.

I hope they don't listen to the babies crying about putting Titans back on a timer. I don't like that they gifted you a Titan in the Titanfall.

Titans are powerful and should be earned. I got like 4-6 a game In the new mode with AI they aren't hard to get get. Hardpoint was a not balanced properly for Titan build time so that will be fixed nextweek according to a Dev who posted here.

Complaining about the maps I understand but we have only seen two maps and while I didn't enjoy the open field map the boomtown one was alright. Hopefully they have some maps similar to the original cuz I miss the verticality.

Titans are on the boxart. They shouldn't be 'earned' - they are core to the gameplay. That's what Titanfall is: Pilot vs. Pilot, Titan vs. Titan, Pilot vs. Titan, Titan vs. Pilot. In a match of Titanfall you should experience each of those scenarios.

I understand it's too early for final judgment, but some of the changes outlined in the OP are frustrating to see.

For fuck's sake, no Attrition, no bots, and no Titan until you get a kill streak? I'm at a loss as to why those particular changes were made.

Most worrying are the comments regarding player movement and map design. Unlike the above items, I'll simply have to play the game myself and be my own judge, but if there's any truth to those two elements being dumbed down, it'll be a disappointing day for this franchise. I mean, did they seriously pare back verticality from maps and slow down player movement?

I just hope that this will push people to play Titanfall again. Show them that we liked a unique shooter and not another CoD clone.

Literally all they had to do to Titanfall was add a single player mode. That was the major complaint in reviews, along with not having enough customization options. Nope, now we have another CoD released alongside regular CoD and Battlefield, like they hope the game will fail so they don't have to shovel resources into it again.

Fucking Respawn.

khaaan

It was team death match with Titans and AI. The default team death match mode seems to be just player vs player with no titans or AI.

lol wat.

That's like getting rid of the ink mechanics in Splatoon or hero abilities in Overwatch. (I'm sure there are better shooter examples but those are the only ones I've played). A lot of the complaints in the OP really bum me out.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
These sorts of posts are all over the impressions thread. I too am more dissapointed in this then I've ever been with what should have been a sure thing.

The hate is too much. The maps are honestly not as good for parkour, which is baffling, but I think that's the biggest concern as that is not easily fixed. The other things are gameplay tweaks and they said they are listening to feedback.

Ya, Titans are not on a timer, but only the most pathetic player won't get 2 or more per match. Titans feel a little weak without recharging shields, but again, that's not as big of a change for them to tweak I don't think. They've heard complaints and suggestions how to integrate that back in with the new battery mechanic.

I still had a LOT of fun with it.

Rourkey

All they really needed top do was add a few more maps, a campaign to flesh out the universe and more P's on XB1!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
As it should be players need to get better I had no trouble getting Titans other than in hardpoint which the build time is being fixed.

I don't agree with that at all, Titanfall was about inclusiveness and letting any player of any skill get a Titan. The games called TITANfall, the more on the playing field the better. The timer and making the Titans more powerful are absolute must haves IMO. You want to 'earn' stuff go play COD. (or Titanfall 2)

Titans are on the boxart. They shouldn't be 'earned' - they are core to the gameplay. That's what Titanfall is: Pilot vs. Pilot, Titan vs. Titan, Pilot vs. Titan, Titan vs. Pilot. In a match of Titanfall you should experience each of those scenarios.

I had zero issues getting Titans I had one within the first minute or two of a game. It must be you. Learn to kill the AI the meter builds very fast. Most games I was calling in 4-6 Titans so I don't see the problem. With the battery system if you play correctly you can keep your Titans for some time as well. All I
hear is I'm bad at the game I want my easy Titan timer back.

Are you sure there aren't any Titan timers? I'm genuinely asking because I'm terrible at shooters and I was getting Titan's all the time. Also, it's worth noting that this test is most likely based on an old build of the game and a lot of the issues with stuff like movement (which I personally didn't have a problem with) could already be improved or tightened up by now. As for multiplayer modes, just because the game isn't launching with certain modes doesn't mean it wont be added to the game at some point (hopefully via a patch).

Top Bottom