• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

Poster#1

How can such a sure thing become this disappointing? I don't remember being disappointed in a sequel as much as this one. It almost threw everything that made the first game interesting and great and made COD clone.

Here's just some of the things they got wrong:

1- Player movement isn't as smooth as the prequel.

2-Maps are terrible. Almost no thought went into making them. TF1 maps were made with pilots movement/parkour in mind but this one seems like maps from COD or BF.

3- No AI (outside of Bounty Hunter): The feature that made Titanfall unique is gone from all modes except Bounty Hunter which is a poorly designed mode.

4- No Attrition: The most popular mode in TF1 is gone.

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

I read somewhere that TF1 feels like a sequel to this game and I totally agree with that statement. They pretty much drop the ball on TF2. Maybe TF3 will get back to the series roots.

and please don't tell me it's Technical Test and the full game will be different. What we played is basically a demo. Maybe some tweak here and there but nothing fundamental.

OneUh8

All the negative talk about this technical test is really killing the hype. I have not had a chance to try it myself, but as a fan of the first game, this is all very disappointing.

Auctopus

Yep, never played the first game but really enjoyed the movement/traversal elements I saw in gameplay.

The maps felt like they were designed for a COD match, some buildings felt pointless whilst others felt like annoying obstacles.

Nokterian

Same i posted this in the other thread. And it is from this interview..

/waves to didact, hi didact!

and yeah, this video is a perfect example of the amazing gameplay loop R1 created.

and this video, from GC 2016, explains why Respawn lost their way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyryweXyBxA

- AI are annoying and don't have a purpose? [what?]
- rodeos are annoying? [WHAT? so many ways to deal with these]
- everybody doesn't just GET a titan? [WHAT WHAT WHAT?]

seems like they literally just listened to the biggest whiners / complainers on reddit and neglected to consider whether any of those people actually played the game for more than a few hours...

Fucking hell seeing that interview..you need to earn a titan..the fuck? Why is this game called titanfall 2 again? I want to play a damn titan not being on the ground the whole time as in call of duty. I remember why they made this game to do something different and fresh, they did do that but now?

Rodeos i love it because i can shoot a damn titan..the AI was useful because to fuel your meter to get an titan asap.

Said it earlier here and i will say it again replaying Titanfall 1 and played even if it is a tech test for titanfall 2 they lost there way on what made titanfall 1 great..

Game should have been Titanfall 1 with a campaign and some added fun titan stuff, grapple hook, singularity grenade, all that goodness

the huge changes were not wanted or necessary

WoolyNinja

I'm hoping all that is fixed for the final release. Has Respawn commented on player feedback at all yet? It seems a majority of players are completely down on Titanfall 2 at this point. I'm wondering if the multiplayer test is simply not representative of the final product at all and was indeed just a way to test the network code.

That's what I'm hoping - reality is most games don't change drastically from betas (multiplayer tests).

EDIT: Also, making the Titans a reward for doing well seems wrong. What ends up happening is teams that are dominating then dominate even harder as they get Titans quicker.

domstah

While it's an old build (from June or something) - I have to agree with the OP, the limited number of titans, lack of ai and small minor changes just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I know the Networks feature was well recieved, but the fact i couldn't just find a friend and join their game was also a big step backwards.

Fingers crossed Battlefield 1 will be in a better state with it's "beta" later this month.

I feel the same OP.

I bought an Xbox one for titanfall (1), it was amazing (performance was iffy but it played well).

Titanfall 2? Ummm well it's kinda boring now and there is something "wrong" with the way it handles.

Shady859

7. They ruined rodeoing a Titan and actively attacking it / having to deal with pilot in favor of a stupid battery system.

Got the key Wednesday night and by Saturday I had no desire to even play it.

Rizific

Cod clone? That combined with the fact that pc isn't getting a "beta" pretty much cements my decision. Will definitely pass on this.

GlamFM

Banned
It´s great IMO.

What´s depressing me is the discussion surrounding it especially here on GAF.

Maybe that´s just me.

I´m having a rough day..

flkraven

I was choosing between Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2. I decided on Battelfield months ago, but I was very apprehensive about the decision. I was certain that I would, at the very list, pick of Titanfall shortly thereafter when the first sale kicks in.

With everything I've read, it's literally become a 'no buy' for me. I'll just play the campaign when it hits EA Access in a year and a half. So sad. Titanfall was the smoothest FPS I've played this gen.

It´s great IMO.

What´s depressing me is the discussion surrounding it especially here on GAF.

Maybe that´s just me.

I´m having a rough day..

It's not just GAF. Most of the criticism I've read is from the upvoted posts on the Titanfall subreddit. The opinion is almost unanimous that this is a downgrade. The only people I've seen not feeling this way are PS only gamers that never got to try the original on PC or Xbox.

If they don't acknowledge the problems in some manner and make alot of tweaks before release, I am cancelling my CE preorder. Loved TF1, but this was a huge disappointment.

The tech test was disappointing, but it's too early to damn the entire final game.

Game will be going gold soon, and the core mechanics are the main problem with it so far. It's not that early to be judging it, they need to reassure it's customer base that stuff is gonna change or be improved, cause if the core stuff isn't tweaked, the game is DOA for alot of us

Courage

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan. I'm positive they'll make some important changes before the game is out, but I'm worried that may not be enough.

Are we expecting much difference in the final game? It's presumably going gold in a few weeks.

Maybe as a patch? Some of the prevalent issues can be solved by rebalancing, others not.

RaginRoss

I read somewhere that TF1 feels like a sequel to this game and I totally agree with that statement. They pretty much drop the ball on TF2. Maybe TF3 will get back to the series roots.

I doubt we'll see TF3 if the finished game is as poorly received as the technical test has been.

k1yXfmE.jpg

Are we expecting much difference in the final game? It's presumably going gold in a few weeks.
I mean the map criticisms are wholly invalid to me because there's only two maps available to use at the moment.

Unless the game is only shipping with two maps which I doubt greatly.

CrazE

Banned
How does someone not liking a couple of the maps make it a point that the game is not good? I think the 2 maps have been great and pilot vs pilot mode is solid. Game plays tight as the first to me and the grappling hook is awesome.

I don't know. Game felt solid to me.

flkraven

As I've read in multiple threads, there was a quote from some respawn guy saying that they weren't treating this as the sequel to Titanfall. Since there would be new platforms, they were basically treating Titanfall 2 as a new IP. This is their new vision.

I just want them to make a sequel to TF1....

KAL2006

Banned
I really loved the first one but didn't own a Xbox One and had a blast on a mates xbox one. Was looking forward to the sequel and held out buying Overwatch just to see if this would be my go to Multiplayer shooter this gem. Turns out from the impressions it's jot ao I guess I will ow buy Overwatch

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I pre-ordered it, I know some people came from TF1 and BLOPS3 and got their ass handed to them and didn't like it but I really enjoyed it, fast responsive fun gameplay which is the opposite of what those people are saying .
I haven't played TF1 but from the gameplay videos it doesn't look any different.

Top Bottom