• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 isn't that bad

golem

Here's the thing OP. Apparently I already own a superior version of Titanfall 2 surprisingly called Titanfall 1. So why would I buy the inferior version?

Here's the thing OP. Apparently I already own a superior version of Titanfall 2 surprisingly called Titanfall 1. So why would I buy the inferior version?

Different =/= superior.

Maybe to you it is though. In which case, by all means, keep playing TF1 because you prefer that style of game. I'm not saying you're wrong to like it, but TF2 is by no means objectively inferior. For the most part, it's just quite different.

SwolBro

Banned
Here let me help you http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SYYNCROW/video/20817572 Fastest gauntlet times from a TF veteran
Titanfall *was* a game about stringing together wall runs and constant movement so you flew all over the map. So, you can say "well, it's the same in 90% of the game design", but the 10% they changes is the 10% that probably mattered the most.

If you aren't bunnyhopping then how you are flying around the map? i'll assume you mean you chain wall runs together, but how do you chain those wall runs together? By going in a straight line parkour run across a wall, hopping to another wall, and so on? Because if you don't bunnyhop, i doubt you wall bounce, which is actually the correct way to chain wall runs together to gain maximum speed.

The basic wall run parkour is still very much in the game, as shown in the gauntlet runs. They never changed any of those mechanics .The speeds are practically the same outside of wall bounces (slightly slower do to wall run being slightly slower) and bunnnyhops (replaced with the lesser slide-hop). If those things were outside your pay grade as you so put then why would those changes effect you? Fact is the movements you and pretty much a majority of the people complaining in these threads about will not effect your movement in this game. Ya?

Now, you can argue about the maps but the fact that Respawn added a fucking gauntlet with a timer and speed indicator in the game would, in my opinion, show that they intend to create maps for you to take advantage of your speed. Call me crazy for assuming that

It's the maps in the beta. You can just chain wall rides and double jumps together on a map like angel city and not touch the ground for a long time.

I actually noticed quite a few people talk highly of the training grounds, which also points me towards thinking those are the biggest culprit.

Read above.

golem

Different =/= superior.

Maybe to you it is though. In which case, by all means, keep playing TF1 because you prefer that style of game. I'm not saying you're wrong to like it, but TF2 is by no means objectively inferior. For the most part, it's just quite different.
Fair enough. I am actually interested in the SP portion, and if it gets good reviews I'll wait for a sale or something.

From what I've seen, it looks like a game I can enjoy.

I love titanfall 1 and I'm not going to let some of the details about the changes bog down my opinion before I even get my hands on it. I'll let the game stand on it's own and if it is different than TF2 on a fundamental level, I'll still judge it fairly because as much as I love TF1, I don't want that to paint my enjoyment of TF2. In other words, I'll judge it on it's own merits. I haven't played a COD since BO2 so I that won't affect my enjoyment of the game either.

Hopefully I have a brand new PC by the time TF2 comes out. I haven't been able to play any overwatch in the past month and I'll be damned if I can't play TF2. Right now I am playing TF1 on low settings and resolution. It's still a very fun game and frontier defense is actually more fun than attrition so I have something to enjoy in the meantime.

decisions

I'm with you OP. I played the tech test with in an open mind (having been a fan of the first game) and while I wasn't feeling initially, I got totally addicted to it and can't wait for it to start back up this weekend. I liked what the first game did, and I like what this one does (which I consider to be mix of Titanfall and COD, two game that I enjoy). Also new additions like the grappling hook and Bounty Hunt were great, I thought.

Also beating the top two training times in the gauntlet is literally impossible. I mean not literally, but man I tried that for hours and it seems to require far more skill than any other COD time trial has. Man its rough.

SwolBro

Banned
Also beating the top two training times in the gauntlet is literally impossible. I mean not literally, but man I tried that for hours and it seems to require far more skill than any other COD time trial has. Man its rough.

Someone has beat it by 4 seconds.

MrNelson

Banned
Weird analogy. Respawn didn't take Titanfall 2 and turn it into an RPG. They made some changes to the game.

Yes, they made changes that a good portion of the existing community does not agree with. For some reason, you only seem to be focusing on the complaints regarding movement and trying to pick arguments apart because you don't think they have a right to complain unless they were chaining wallruns and bunny hops from one side of the map to the next in the first game. There's plenty of changes that people are complaining about other than movement, like the removal of AI from all modes except Bounty Hunt, the removal of the timer, the removal of Attrition in favor of Bounty Hunt, the removal of Burn Cards, lowered TTK, predetermined Titan loadouts, and map design not being conducive to chaining wallruns (at least from what we've seen so far, other maps could fix this). If people think the game is fine in its current state and want to play it, more power to them, but don't dismiss negative comments by saying that people are just complaining just for the sake of it. People came in expecting one thing and found that the game changed in a way that isn't to their liking and they are voicing their displeasure, which is a completely normal thing to do. I've already done it in the other threads, and I'll give the game this next technical test and a rental at launch to convince me if I should pick it up, but as of right now I have no intentions of doing so.

Why is that an issue though? Spending time with the original doesn't make the sequel any better or worse. It shifts your frame of reference, your expectations. Experiencing faster movement doesn't make slower movement worse, it makes it less familiar, it's different, no doubt, but it doesn't change the merits and disadvantages of either.

PS: You probably shouldn't have quoted the entire OP, it's quite long.

I shouldn't have quoted the entire OP, but I'm on mobile and wasn't going to be bothered deleting all of it.

There we go. Thank you, I feel the same.

But i cancelled my preorder anyway - I lost the faith in TF2 as I think it's the inferior game...

Luckily for me I never preordered. I wanted to see reviews for the Campaign before buying, but the Tech Test made me not even care until a good sale comes around.

Different =/= superior.

I think that's what the issue is for people. When TF1 came out it was new and fresh. It wasn't just COD with Mechs. The movement, the maps, burn cards, the mechs, enemy AI it just was so different compared to COD that people fell in love. Now COD copied the movement and TF2 copied that grappling hook thing from COD. Its like Respawn has gone out of their way to make a COD clone with mechs.

I don't understand the whole its not a sequel its basically a new IP thing Respawn has been talking about. It seems to me The last 2 COD made them feel a little threatened and they decided to take the game in a new direction, when they really didn't have to.

So, how good I am now dictates what I enjoy about the game and what I want out of a sequel?

He's been doing this in all the TF2 threads. If you're not a verified "God of Titanfall" buzzing around the TF1 maps like a Tasmanian Devil on speed and mescaline then your opinion about TF2 apparently doesn't count. The only thing that surprises me about this thread so far is he's only issued one machismo-fueled "meet me at high noon in Attrition so I can prove how weak your skills are noob!" style challenges. Lol Sheesh.

He's been doing this in all the TF2 threads. If you're not a verified "God of Titanfall" buzzing around the TF1 maps like a Tasmanian Devil on speed and mescaline then your opinion about TF2 apparently doesn't count. The only thing that surprises me about this thread so far is he's only issued one machismo-fueled "meet me at high noon in Attrition so I can prove how weak your skills are noob!" style challenges. Lol Sheesh.

He's actually doing that?

28191623.jpg

Bobnob

I really don't understand this, maybe they were testing stuff??? And I'm going to bet you haven't seen half of the maps or even a quarter.

SwolBro

Banned
Yes, they made changes that a good portion of the existing community does not agree with. For some reason, you only seem to be focusing on the complaints regarding movement and trying to pick arguments apart because you don't think they have a right to complain unless they were chaining wallruns and bunny hops from one side of the map to the next in the first game. There's plenty of changes that people are complaining about other than movement, like the removal of AI from all modes except Bounty Hunt, the removal of the timer, the removal of Attrition in favor of Bounty Hunt, the removal of Burn Cards, lowered TTK, predetermined Titan loadouts, and map design not being conducive to chaining wallruns (at least from what we've seen so far, other maps could fix this). If people think the game is fine in its current state and want to play it, more power to them, but don't dismiss negative comments by saying that people are just complaining just for the sake of it. People came in expecting one thing and found that the game changed in a way that isn't to their liking and they are voicing their displeasure, which is a completely normal thing to do. I've already done it in the other threads, and I'll give the game this next technical test and a rental at launch to convince me if I should pick it up, but as of right now I have no intentions of doing so.
Yes, i am focusing on movement because it's one of the main things people are complaining about and actually getting wrong. Flat out wrong in most regards.

Some of those other complaints actually contradict the notion that they "dumbed down" the game to appease to casuals. Burn cards are fucking insanely casual. So is a titan timer that guarantees everyone gets a titan. Things like that are contradictory to the echoed complaints in here.

Other things are valid and i won't argue them.

Because the point remains: if you don't use the mechanics that are being changed why are you complaining about said mechanics? It's that simple.

This is a situation where people are clearly talking about things they don't know anything about. They're just repeating what other people are saying based on perceived differences.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
I agree. I had a ton of fun with the beta. My main problem was with the two maps. I'll be keeping my eye out for news on all of the maps. Need more parkour-style maps. Will probably be picking it up regardless because it has some of my favorite gunplay in any game. Not sure what it is exactly.

MrNelson

Banned
Yes, i am focusing on movement because it's one of the main things people are complaining about and actually getting wrong. Flat out wrong in most regards.

Some of those other complaints actually contradict the notion that they "dumbed down" the game to appease to casuals. Burn cards are fucking insanely casual. So is a titan timer that guarantees everyone gets a titan. Things like that are contradictory to the echoed complaints in here.

Other things are valid and i won't argue them.
It's only contradictory if the same person was making both arguments, the community is not a hivemind (I know I said this earlier, but it bears repeating). I had no issue with everyone being guaranteed a Titan or with burn cards. They allowed less-skilled players to not be held back by their ability, and they were things that could be easily routed by more-skilled players.

Not that bad is about right. That should, however, not be what Respawn should be aiming for. TF1 was a system seller for many, many players. Myself included. I still dip in and out of it now. It was pretty much the perfect FPS for me, with just some screen tearing needing sorting and a campaign putting in.

The nerfing of the Titans, the messy UI, the lack of options for constant wall running in the available maps, the potential lack of Attrition, the increase in camping caused by "banking", the batteries/rodeo changes and the terrible, terrible removal of the titan timer are all things that need amending before I part with any money and I'm just pleased so many people have voiced similar concerns.

TF2 is a game seemingly designed for players much more used to other shooters, with titans seemingly an add on to the experience, whereas TF1 titans were integral to gameplay. Titans should be key to playing this game. In an attempt to "let players play the way they want" they have stripped out that extra magic that made TF1 special.

I was really pleased with the reaction on the other thread and hope that Respawn look in threads like this and not just their own forums. After all, they want our money so they need to come where we are, not make us go to where they are.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for this detailed write-up. I never played the original at all, and CoD doesn't factor into my routine gaming either, so it's good to hear positive impressions like this.

The only competetive "shooter" I've played as of late is Overwatch, but I also play a wide variety of games. Parkour and mechs always seemed like a cool mix, and gameplay videos from the test look (and sound) great. Definitely going to be trying the demo this weekend.

To be fair about the titan timer vs the new system, you'll still get a titan you just have to work at it. Seems real easy to get the bar built up even if you die, as long as you play the objectives. Sounds fine to me. I'll have to see how they implement it. It's not killstreaks, like that one thread inaccurately stated, or even scorestreaks because only half of your progress (as far as I could tell) resets at most when you die.

The blue bar is your progress that never resets. So if you gain 20% of your titan than die, it's still at 10%. If you die immediately, you're still at 10%. If you gain up to 90% then die, you're at 50%, because you never lose that blue bar from the first 10%. These numbers aren't precise, just based on guesswork.

To be fair about the titan timer vs the new system, you'll still get a titan you just have to work at it. Seems real easy to get the bar built up even if you die, as long as you play the objectives. Sounds fine to me. I'll have to see how they implement it. It's not killstreaks, like that one thread inaccurately stated, or even scorestreaks because only half of your progress (as far as I could tell) resets at most when you die.

The blue bar is your progress that never resets. So if you gain 20% of your titan than die, it's still at 10%. If you die immediately, you're still at 10%. If you gain up to 90% then die, you're at 50%, because you never lose that blue bar from the first 10%. These numbers aren't precise, just based on guesswork.

Yeah I think people exaggerate the timer, it's not a streak is it? It seemed guaranteed.

I remember getting a Titan in the first minute of the match and talking to my friend about how fast you could get it. We were both the top players in the game and got our titans at the same time. I like that it results in you getting them at different times, it staggers the game a bit.

like I mean I think it's a good game. probably more fun than most FPS games. but it didn't hook me like the beta for the first did. within one game of the first I had decided I was going to get it. one game of this and I was wondering what went wrong in the map creation.

Despite being very hostile towards some recent comments re: TF2's design philosophy, you are correct. I would even say it is a few tweaks away from being a pretty brilliant game.

LividEverlastingGrebe.gif

TenseSmartGerbil.gif

I worry that the aforementioned philosophies will prevent it from surpassing the lofty heights of its forebear however.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I played the original a lot, its one of my all time games.

The Beta for titanfall 2 and we have to remember it's still a Beta lacked something, I have no idea what it is to be honest. it didn't feel as free flowing or maybe it could be the map design. Everything with the original just worked, it was fast and fun. In the first Titanfall you felt if you were in a bigger battle were this didn't feel that way.

this could be great on the final release and am hoping the maps are a lot better that the beta's was.

just my opinion

Despite being very hostile towards some recent comments re: TF2's design philosophy, you are correct. I would even say it is a few tweaks away from being a pretty brilliant game.

TenseSmartGerbil.gif

I worry that the aforementioned philosophies will prevent it from surpassing the lofty heights of its forebear however.

I'm glad you are coming around. Are those your own gifs? :)

They're probably the best representations of the sense of speed that I have seen so far, but I didn't really go for that myself. I don't measure the game by how fast I can jump around, though I do get why people liked that in the original TF, and seek the same experience here, so it's only a good thing if you find a way to work the games systems in a way that can maintain that pacing.

Good to see it without grappling hook too, as there seems to be a conception that the grappling hook is near essential to retain a good pacing. I can see that being true in the more open areas.

SwolBro

Banned
They're probably the best representations of the sense of speed that I have seen so far, but I didn't really go for that myself. I don't measure the game by how fast I can jump around, though I do get why people liked that in the original TF, and seek the same experience here, so it's only a good thing if you find a way to work the games systems in a way that can maintain that pacing.

Good to see it without grappling hook too, as there seems to be a conception that the grappling hook is near essential to retain a good pacing. I can see that being true in the more open areas.

If you're on xbox i'd suggest an Elite controller if you don't have one already. Mapping jump and slide to back paddles is a godsend. It elevates your enjoyment of this game (and shooters in general) 100 fold.

If you're on xbox i'd suggest an Elite controller if you don't have one already. Mapping jump and slide to back paddles is a godsend. It elevates your enjoyment of this game (and shooters in general) 100 fold.

I'm on PS4 and I've been meaning to buy a scuff controller for the paddles. Sounds like this game is the time. Previously I was planning on doing it for Destiny, but didn't absolutely need to then.

In the beta I mapped jump to R3 (click right stick) and I would just claw the slide button, L1 for hook. Not sure what I used for melee, since I rarely meleed.

It's not a bad game but if you were a fan of the first it's a huge step back from the direction they were taking the franchise.

There basically pulling a COD4 to MW2

It's not a bad game but if you were a fan of the first it's a huge step back from the direction they were taking the franchise.

There basically pulling a COD4 to MW2

It's more like they went from Advanced Warfare to Black Ops 3.

COD4 to MW2 increases the pacing, which isn't what happened here, though I get what you mean. Interesting how the COD community reacted differently though, people thought Advanced Warfare was a step too far, with too much vertical mobility and most people were happy with Black Ops 3, which toned it down. I guess that's because the franchise is built on much slower mobility overall though, so people were happy with a return to form after one missstep (AW).

Tenshin

i really enjoyed titanfall 2 , havent played the first one, i dont know if not playing the original is a good thing or bad thing.. because poeple played the original was disappointed, now im really looking forward for titanfall 2 this october.

rmanthorp

I had a good time with the tech test - I just had a lot more letdowns that I expected... I hope they iron these things out but BOY - I was not thinking I would come out of this thinking TF1 will be the better game.

It's more like they went from Advanced Warfare to Black Ops 3.

COD4 to MW2 increases the pacing, which isn't what happened here, though I get what you mean. Interesting how the COD community reacted differently though, people thought Advanced Warfare was a step too far, with too much vertical mobility and most people were happy with Black Ops 3, which toned it down. I guess that's because the franchise is built on much slower mobility overall though, so people were happy with a return to form after one missstep (AW).

By that I mean that they made a bunch of unnecessary changes to the game when all anyone who liked the first wanted was more of the same with more content and a few tweaks. Instead we get a totally different game with a huge nerf on the movement that made the first so great and unique.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, if you've never really played or put much time into the original, you're right, it's not that bad.

If you have played a lot of the original. It is that bad.

TenseSmartGerbil.gif

Haha.

I just wanted to say good on you for keeping an open mind... and not spamming (deleting the alpha or cancelling preorder.)

Especially since no reviews are in and the game still has two months away.

I don't think they will change the fundamentals of TF2 before then... but tweaks and small changes will occur that will drastically change some areas.

sphinx

the piano man
it hasn't even been released and titanfall is heading straight into the Metroid path with the narrative:

"This is shit compared to previous games"

vs

"It's not so bad on its own terms".

whoever wins this argument, we lose.

Sizzel

Unbiased observer here..it was my perception the first game dropped off player base wise rather sharply especially on PC and there ended up being a small core. So if that is true... wouldn;' changing it from TF1 be a good thing for the developer/pub and potential player base even if it alienated the diehards of Titanfall 1?

nutshell Titantfall one (if this was true) didn't appear to be a smashing success ( Destiny COD BF etc..)so wouldn't tweaking the formula be in order if money if your goal?

Unbiased observer here..it was my perception the first game dropped off player base wise rather sharply especially on PC and there ended up being a small core. So if that is true... wouldn;' changing it from TF1 be a good thing for the developer/pub and potential player base even if it alienated the diehards of Titanfall 1?

nutshell Titantfall one (if this was true) didn't appear to be a smashing success ( Destiny COD BF etc..)so wouldn't tweaking the formula be in order if money if your goal?

Their argument is the lack of content that caused it not because it was just too frantic for anyone or the gameplay being the issue.

They feel Respawn didn't listen and are going after CoD money wth this next release.

The problem with the original game was the extreme lack of content. It had 4 modes and like 10 maps(probably a few more) and something like 6 guns.

For what it's worth, it's very evident that the 'death of titanfall' isn't as bad as people say it is. People were posting shots of 5k players on the XBOX ONE version yesterday... which is a big number 2 years after launch. On PC sure, but even Call of Duty games don't pull huge numbers on PC, so it doesn't come as much of a surprise if Titanfall wouldn't be as popular their either.

I don't disagree with you though. They obviously didn't capture the entire audience they wanted. People say it was the lack of content but that's just why people strayed away that already bought, and that wouldn't be everyone, either. So they probably felt they had a certain incentive to change certain components, beyond just content. Personally I think singleplayer and perhaps co-op would have been enough though, those are the modes that the less dedicated multiplayer consumers will appreciate.

Skele7on

Banned
Titanfall 2 has failed to capture what made it an amazing exclusive.

It feels sluggish to me, also the "boomtown" map with none of the dynamic flow that previous maps had, but other maps maybe better,

I found a lot of people just camping which isn't really what Titanfall is all about..

Titanfall 2 has failed to capture what made it an amazing exclusive.

It feels sluggish to me, also the "boomtown" map with none of the dynamic flow that previous maps had, but other maps maybe better,

I found a lot of people just camping which isn't really what Titanfall is all about..

Probably also because players were getting used to the game.

I do also want to give a shout out to the Respawn folks who have been actively interacting with the community both here and on Reddit, despite the shit people (such as myself) deal out. You guys are great!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I kinda agree with the OP. There's a ton of negativity surrounding the game based on the first tech test. And while I think some are warranted, it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

It's not a "bad" game; heck it's not even a mediocre one, it's a good multiplayer game that has the unenviable position of trying to cater to new players, old players, and managing expectations all at the same time.

I've said this countless times before, but I really think the changes Respawn is making is based on internal data, how retain players, and so on. Granted their data could be wrong or proven to be wrong after launch, but they're making the game based on that.

The tech test has seriously grown on me, warts and all. I kinda miss it in fact, and playing Overwatch doesn't seem to scratch that same itch.

In case anyone's curious, I wrote a hands-on impressions piece on the tech test where I outline both the positives and negatives. We also made a top five video on what changes Respawn needs to make for Titanfall 2 (feedback from someone who played TF1 one, and people who played just TF2).

Having said all that, I think some of the changes that need to be made (UI cleanup for one) are easy fixes, while bringing back the Titan timer might be too much? I'm not a developer so I don't know. The maps and modes thing might be the "easiest" fix since Respawn did promise that all maps and modes will be free post-launch, right?

And yeah, I agree with the others that think the grapple hook should be standard to every kit. I gather, Respawn will see that everyone uses it and change something based on it. I literally saw maybe 1-2 people using other classes in the tech test. Without the grappling hook, it's such a chore to take down Titans and moving across the map since the hook can be used for defense and offense.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I have never said that the game that is titanfall 2 is bad. What I have argued is it is not titanfall. It is its own thing, not a titanfall game. If they wanted to make this they need to rebrand it as something else, not titanfall 2.

A sequel should build on what made the first one great. Not completely change the formula.

Not to put the OP down or anything, but as soon as he said he didn't put much time into titanfall I realized that I couldn't change his opinion because he doesn't understand. He doesn't have the history that actual titanfall players have.

Top Bottom