• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 60 fps gameplay.

Victrix

*beard*
Wall running is sort of like an accessible, hand crafted version of diagonal running in DOOM and the strafe jumping in Quake.

Speaking of wall running, it has existed in TF since August 2010. The influence for wall running was not from games, it was from Kick Ass. I quit IW on 4.12.10, and Kick Ass came out later that week. I saw it in theaters and couldn't stop thinking about wall running and shooting in an FPS.

Brink was a mess in a lot of ways, but I thought SMART was completely awesome. The freedom to move wherever you wanted, really, really easily was liberating.

I hope the movement in TF retains the solidity, weight, heft and responsiveness of movement from CoD - it's one of my big gripes from other, non idtech descended engines that they often feel like you're either floating, skating on ice, or running in mud.

Proven

Brink was a mess in a lot of ways, but I thought SMART was completely awesome. The freedom to move wherever you wanted, really, really easily was liberating.

I hope the movement in TF retains the solidity, weight, heft and responsiveness of movement from CoD - it's one of my big gripes from other, non idtech descended engines that they often feel like you're either floating, skating on ice, or running in mud.

Part of Brink's problem for me was how they limited SMART between the weight classes. Create an awesome feature for the game, place most of it on the paper thin class that you can only field a few of per mission.

And honestly, stuff like SMART should have been the standard by now.

Rendition

I'm seriously excited for this game. However I don't plan on getting an Xbox One.

On a GiantBomb interview podcast the Respawn devs said the PC version wouldn't have some "niceties" the Xbox One version would have when they were discussing cloud gaming services Microsoft is providing for Xbox One.

I wonder what he meant by that. Will the PC version not be as good as Xbox One?

And since the 360 version isn't made my Respawn, but will be a port by someone else, I'm not excited about the 360 version either.

Sigh.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Haven't been able to read the whole thread, but some quick responses to things I've read:

First - so glad to have this finally out there! Even more excited that people seem to "get it" and are looking forward to playing it. We've been focusing on gameplay since day 1, and I think everyone is going to have a really fun time getting to know the game once its out :)

The 60fps videos are from our site, www.titanfall.com. I don't care where you're getting 'em, but if Gamersyde is slow for you, try it. A huge part of the game is the fluidity, and thats really lost on weak-sauce Youtube 30fps encodes. As long as I'm around, expect 60fps footage from us.

For those expecting "normal" Source engine - don't. Those super smart coders (like Calen in this thread!) have re-written a massive amount of the codebase. The renderer is completely new (multi-threaded, DX11, 64bit, etc.), along with all the sound code, netcode, input code, etc. There's a lot of cores on the Xbox One, and the coders are actively working on utilizing them as much as possible.

Cloud! Cloud. Cloud? Yeah - we're using the MS Cloud for the Xbox One version. All platforms will be 100% played on dedis, but on the Xbox One MS is providing an extra layer on Azure that allows us to spin up dedis at a moments notice based on active users in the variety of regions, among other things.

We aren't talking about the 360 version much yet, but rest assured that we're working with the team thats doing it and care very deeply that its a superb version. This is our debut game and we won't let just any turd out the door!

PC - yup, going to be on PC, and its going to be awesome. We've got a lot of hardcore PC gamers in the office, and we know there's a lot of you looking to get this on PC. Again, no turds. We know what PC guys like/expect, and really don't want to disappoint.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All platforms will be 100% played on dedis

PC - yup, going to be on PC, and its going to be awesome. We've got a lot of hardcore PC gamers in the office, and we know there's a lot of you looking to get this on PC. Again, no turds. We know what PC guys like/expect, and really don't want to disappoint.
That's nice to hear. I talked to a few people working on it at E3, but didn't fancy spending the 2.5 hours in line to play, which is a shame because it was one of the things I was looking forward to.
Now important question time: How many people in the office have 120Hz/144Hz panels?

Need to update my resume for QA now.

Booshka

Haven't been able to read the whole thread, but some quick responses to things I've read:

First - so glad to have this finally out there! Even more excited that people seem to "get it" and are looking forward to playing it. We've been focusing on gameplay since day 1, and I think everyone is going to have a really fun time getting to know the game once its out :)

The 60fps videos are from our site, www.titanfall.com. I don't care where you're getting 'em, but if Gamersyde is slow for you, try it. A huge part of the game is the fluidity, and thats really lost on weak-sauce Youtube 30fps encodes. As long as I'm around, expect 60fps footage from us.

For those expecting "normal" Source engine - don't. Those super smart coders (like Calen in this thread!) have re-written a massive amount of the codebase. The renderer is completely new (multi-threaded, DX11, 64bit, etc.), along with all the sound code, netcode, input code, etc. There's a lot of cores on the Xbox One, and the coders are actively working on utilizing them as much as possible.

Cloud! Cloud. Cloud? Yeah - we're using the MS Cloud for the Xbox One version. All platforms will be 100% played on dedis, but on the Xbox One MS is providing an extra layer on Azure that allows us to spin up dedis at a moments notice based on active users in the variety of regions, among other things.

We aren't talking about the 360 version much yet, but rest assured that we're working with the team thats doing it and care very deeply that its a superb version. This is our debut game and we won't let just any turd out the door!

Glad to hear, I hope all of this is true, a lot of us are skeptical on Xbox One, so the PC version better be amazing.

Love that you guys are focusing so much on fun, fast and fluid gameplay. Looks really fun. Good luck with the rest of the development.

Haha good question Hazaro, I would love to QA Titanfall.

It's looking great! Any chance you are going to release the footage of the other maps (2nd link in the OP) in the same quality? Also, for curiosity's sake, is the Xbox One cloud being used for anything other than dedis? If so, can you go into a bit more detail? Are you going to be able to disable UI elements, or will there be gamemodes that do as much (ala hardcore CoD4)?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Another incredibly busy UI that overlays too much useless info directly over or too close to your crosshairs. It's even worse when piloting a Titan.

Otherwise, it looks fun.

Awesome. Fun gameplay + 60 fps is a godsend. Keep up the good work and I'll buy it Day 1! I'm looking forward to reading more news about Titanfall or Respawn.

Omega

Banned
titan3.gif

This sold me on the game when I saw it at the conference.

It will add depth to the gameplay and should be a nice change from the CoD-style gameplay that has plagued every other shooter.

I am so happy to hear this, even though I already figured you guys weren't going to ship a crap port. You take too much pride in your work to let that happen. I'm going to be so happy playing this game at launch, but ultimately I look forward to the PS4 version down the road. Don't make us PS4 owners wait too long!

dejay

Banned
I haven't played an online shooter in a fair bit, but I'm looking forward to this. A FPS that's fresh, made with passion and which hasn't been focus tested into the ground? That's either a recipe for something bad or something amazing.

All indicators indicate the latter.

Who is CBOAT and is he trust worthy?

He's been accurate so far. He's breaking some NDAs so he's incognito. There have been other signs too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow, just watched the 60fps/1080p version, and MAN what a difference it makes.

Especially with good sound.

Just jumped up to one of my most hyped games in a second. I don't really like CoD - much at all. I wouldn't put the original Modern Warfare - the highlight of a generation to many - even in my Top 50. Just doesn't "click" with me - little strategy, short lives, too much spray, and no room to improvise.

Titanfall, on the other hand, seems to change ALL of that, while keeping true to the one thing I do appreciate from CoD - the silky smooth gameplay.

Radec

This and Quantum Break are pretty much the only things that could tempt me into shelling out for an Xbox One at the moment.

This looks like a Q2 2014 game and people will be lucky if they get Quantum Break by late 2015. lol

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
God, I was hyped after the initial reveal, but seeing it like this...

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

The wall jumping never gets old. It's like someone finally looked at how Nintendo handles it with Mario and decided they could do it as well. Can't wait to play this down the road on the PS4.

Omega

Banned
I still play it, dedicated community stuck with it. Sucks that the game was released to die, but glad its influence has and will be felt in the future.

you're not kidding. I stopped playing it back in summer of 2011. I just built my PC and got Shadowrun for $5 so I started playing again.

The same people still play the game. I think I've seen 4-5 new people I don't recognize. It's crazy how dedicated the <50 people are to this game. Hopefully there's a Shadowrun 2 someday. I know it got a lot of hate for not being true to Shadowrun, but I didn't care. It was such an amazing game that got sent to die.

Sentenza

You seem like a nice guy.

Deuterium

Wait a tic...having read a few recent posts, I am getting the impression that this game is exclusively a multi-player game. Is this true? I don't play multi-player games. I was hoping that this game would have a legitimate and deep single-player campaign experience.

whoop.

titanfall looks likes its made from shiny win bricks and giant amaze balls.

i cant wait to eject from a mech (if my titanfall 'performance' is anything like my halo one... I will be doing that A LOT)

Booshka

Wait a tic...having read a few recent posts, I am getting the impression that this game is exclusively a multi-player game. Is this true? I don't play multi-player games. I was hoping that this game would have a legitimate and deep single-player campaign experience.

Look elsewhere, this game is designed around Multiplayer only, with some infusion of single player elements into multiplayer sessions.

You will be playing with and against other live players at all times.

Damn, I downloaded the 1080p footage, but when I play it back in VLC player it's choppy and lags.

Could it be because I have a cheap integrated AMD GPU?

teepo

Look elsewhere, this game is designed around Multiplayer only, with some infusion of single player elements into multiplayer sessions.

You will be playing with and against other live players at all times.

oh god, now i want it even more

Top Bottom