• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Jarmel

Banned
titanfall-ogre.jpg

So since people are starting to get their codes, I thought we should have a thread dedicated to just impressions. The beta runs from today up through the 18th.

My early impression is that the game is crazy fast. It's more hectic than any of the CODs I've played. The controls are also going to take some time to get used to. Graphics on the Xbone aren't exactly pretty but they're serviceable for me. The netcode is a huge step up from COD. Overall, really liking it so far.

Bots are going to be a big complaint for me going forward though. Just wall dressing right now.

Tucah

you speak so well
Still downloading for me but I can't wait to start it up (and post my own impressions/read others).

I've only played the training and a few matches but so far it is a ton of fun. The movement of the human players is probably the best part in my opinion.

CaptainCally24

Neo Member
Been playing it on Xbox One all day.. the game is absolutely phenomenal... wasn't sure if I should believe the hype but it deserves it.. Even on 2 maps & a level cap of 14 for the beta it is one of the most fun shooters I have played in a while... adding the titans into the battle really changes the dynamic of every map.. cannot wait for the retail release

The Flash

Banned
350x700px-LL-44cde4f5_65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

is rly good. way better than I was expecting

Edit: If anyone wants to squad up I'll be on all weekend. GT - Agent Strange

LuchaShaq

Banned
No matter what they said about microtransactions I would bet any amount of money they will be selling something related to burn cards. It's EA.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol, just watched someone as a pilot get crushed by a titanfall. awesome.

TedNindo

This game runs like butter COMPLETELY maxed out on a 4770K stock with a 290 stock.

I can't see the framerate though. Tried different tools. But I think its well above 60fps at 1080p with 8x AA.

biRdy

(Xbox One)
I've played about 7 matches so far and I'm loving it! You always seem to be in combat, which leave no room for campers. I want to play more before I make a complete impression for the game or beta, but as of now its looking good.

lol, just watched someone as a pilot get crushed by a titanfall. awesome.

My brother was walking in his titanfall and he got crushed by a titanfall haha, really made us go afsjfhsdksf

game is worth the hype, really fun but the only complaint i have is it needs 7/8 players instead of 6, run into a ton of comps before finding a human and so far most just go one top of roof tops

but still, played 5 matches and having a great time :D

edit- big thanks to Junko for the code

BraXzy

So I've had a chance to play it for a fair few matches.

First impressions are awesome. It is just as fast paced and fun as it looks. The whole free running maneuverability feels natural as hell. I sometimes mess up on climbing up stuff in certain spots but I guess I need to get more used to the maps. AI is definately needed. The maps are pretty big to accomodate Titans but without more players it'd be dull so AI fill the gaps quite nicely. Overalll I am really impressed and enjoying myself. Feel free to ask questions :D

Oh and my K/D is 7.0, or 3.0 if you count just pilot kills ;)

I've gotta say. Titans fit really well. They are easy enough to take down as a Pilot if you play it smart, so they don't feel to invincible, but when you are in them you feel like a beast. The movement with the thrusts is really nice, fighting 1v1 against other Titans and tactically using your abilities to outplay them is satisfying as hell.

Oh and I've already KO'd a Titan with my own dropping in :D

It's also happened to me :(

Here are two clips I got in the brief time I played before getting back to work. Tomorrow will be GF time so I will get a proper go on Saturday :D

Titan Crushed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Jzfz3H_58

Triple Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfuS6n6q3M

Cross posting from other thread. Only thing to add is I loved the training simulator tutorial. Introduced the game really really well.

ErichWK

Been having trouble getting a full lobby, always gets around 30% full then we just sit there...silent....and sad.... (onPC)

dmr87

This game runs like butter COMPLETELY maxed out on a 4770K stock with a 290 stock.

I can't see the framerate though. Tried different tools. But I think its well above 60fps at 1080p with 8x AA.

64-bit game, Afterburner and similar programs only support 32-bit so far. I think Fraps is the only way.

It's a shame because I want to be able to see GPU utilization, temp, fps and so on, feel naked without. Only thing is to run a log.txt file.

I played a bit at a friends.

Feels just like CoD run and gunning.
Killing AI is so meh and unrewarding.

I'm a team objective-based player, so I'm not a fan. It'll be for those CoD fans though.

(Xbox One)
I'm loving it! You always seem to be in combat, which leave no room for campers.

Finally. Finally you guys are seeing TitanFall! :D I've been waiting for Alpha NDA up for this day... ENJOY THIS GAME GAF! There's a reason why it won the most ever awards at an E3.

Tawpgun

I wonder what kind of legs this game will have.

It looks insanley fun, but not something I can see myself playing for over a year.

Been playing for about an hour and all I can say is it's like a awesome fucking breathe of fresh air. It's not evolutionary by any means but having the titans incorporated into gameplay mixes things up quite a bit. I also love the Epilogues after each battle especially if you are on the losing team. Making it back to your ship as the timer runs down and having pilots and titans on your ass makes this damn near impossible. I was the sole survivor on one drop and it was fucking heart pounding making it to that ship!

Did you play the team objective mode?

Yes, and just like CoD objective based modes, it doesn't feel like an objective based game like Battlefield Conquest. In fact, killing as a priority appears to be more effective than just going for objectives.

I think the objective mode just makes the game more boring since objectives just makes you stick around an area too long.

Mdk7

i played like 5 hours already.
I wake up in the less than 3... and i just feel like playing and playing.
It's a blast, and i usually don't give a shit about Call of Duty (Black Ops was the last i played, for like 2hrs).
Soooo good.

Definity

Played about 2 - 3 hours so far on XB1.
Game is stupid amounts of fun to play and is a dream to control.
Everything feels right.

Going to lose countless hours to this thing come March.
Back to the game!

Jarrod38

Played the Last Titan Stand and if your team doesn't work together you will lose. We found that after one match and won the last three. Overall I'm impressed how fun its.

Red Comet

That's good to hear. I've got a 4770k and a 780 Ti so I should be good to go for this. I was mainly hoping to get into the beta to see how well it ran before buying. Anybody know if they've sent out the bulk of codes yet, or is this just early access or something? I didn't think it was supposed to start until tomorrow.

I'm going to try not to be too bummed if I don't get in since the game comes out in less than a month.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've played something like 5 matches so far - I have to study for an exam so here are my impressions so far.

The incredible:
-Movement. Seriously, wallrunning and double jumping is great. Potential game changer here.
-The action. Very fast paced, reminiscent of an old school FPS.
-Jumping out of a heli at the start of each match.

The good:
-Weapons feel good. Nice feedback and gunplay (aside from the LT-RT stuff, but whatever).
-"standby for titanfall" sounds awesome and means shit's about to get real.
-The maps. I've enjoyed the 2 I've played. Lots of movement options and they direct the players to focal points as a map should.

The bad:
-The AI. Straight up braindead, serve no more purpose than cannon fodder. I guess it helps the scale feel a bit larger but still not good at all for me.
-The Titans. They're bullet sponges with similar play to infantry. There are some things I like about them (ejecting is really rad, potential is there) but they could be so much more.
-Unlocking powerups with kills.

-The dumb:
-Autoaim pistol. I don't know who greenlit this but it's so overpowered, lol. Super easy to rack up kills with little effort.
-Persistent access to active camouflage. It's just random and unneeded.

I like it but there is a lot of room for improvement. I'm going to keep playing it though lol.

Top Bottom