• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

A round of last titan standing should not end until the final titan explodes, why have the doomed state in that mode if you are instantly out in a 1 v 1 when you enter it.

A few times I have killed a titan while in doomed status.

Hip Hop

With a controller? Thats pretty good. Maybe I should get it for PC then instead. Really don't like the idea of playing at 752p on a console that just came out. I'll wait until final version and see what they can come up with.

It's the best implementation of a controller I've seen for an FPS on PC in a while. Pretty much MVP every match myself, using the controller exclusively.

Damaniel

Banned
Well, I tried it for a while, and I've determined I suck. (Fortunately nobody's using voice chat much so I don't have to hear about how much I suck from everyone.) Nothing new as far as online FPS games go. But it's still fun to take down a titan just running around with an anti-titan weapon.

I'm still not sure whether I want to give EA my money. But I'm certainly tempted.

DryvBy

Best thing I discovered during this beta: Origin doesn't suck anymore.

Also, I don't think anyone saw this question but does anyone know a site where I can see the list of 60 awards Titanfall won? Edit: Err...according to Origin, 75 Awards.. When did that happen?

HDxXcJd.jpg

Eios

It's the best implementation of a controller I've seen for an FPS on PC in a while. Pretty much MVP every match myself, using the controller exclusively.

Yup, I can echo this sentiment. I am using the DS4 and I just went 15-1 my last game. Feels so good with a controller. Honestly, this game feels somewhat awkward with a keyboard. Definitely getting this game now. If anyone wants to play with, my origin id is: Eiosx

I burned the Ogre card. It had the exact same weapons I would normally use and did not seem significantly different in any way. Kind of a let down.

theytookourjobz

Well, I tried it for a while, and I've determined I suck. (Fortunately nobody's using voice chat much so I don't have to hear about how much I suck from everyone.) Nothing new as far as online FPS games go. But it's still fun to take down a titan just running around with an anti-titan weapon.

I'm still not sure whether I want to give EA my money. But I'm certainly tempted.

Enable the perk that allows you to see all the grunts (a.i.) on your radar. Go and immediately start killing them to take some time off your Titanfall. Then get your anti-Titan gun and start taking down other Titans. I don't think you really have to be awesome at taking down other pilots to do well or to help your team.

Starviper

This beta raised my interest levels pretty high. I was avoiding the hype train because it does look very similar to CoD, but playing it feels so different. I'm especially excited for the actual 'multiplayer campaign' that's been talked about a bit.

LowParry

I think I'm convinced of playing this. It's fast paced, run and gun action which I prefer for a shooter. BF4 is good but this is just a faster game hands down. BF4 still looks a million times better though. I may buy it but it depends if I get some friends on board or not. There's still BF4 maps to play out and more in March. And the Diablo III expansion which I have a bigger interest in. If you're a shooter fan, I don't think you'll want to miss out on Titanfall. It's a really great game.

Definitely.
Though, I don't see them all too often. And, when I do it's usually just one guy, maybe two. It's still a bit niche as far as my lobbies have went. Thank the Heavens for that.

I'm personally seeing a ton more shotgun play. Kind of frustrating on Hardpoint, but it's a shotgun. Those work pretty well in enclosed places, which is where most of the capture points happen to be located. And, at least it requires you to AIM YOUR GUN.

Anyways... I don't think it should be removed completely. Just have it do what I'm assuming most thought it could only do beforehand, by which it only Auto-Targets Bots. Auto-Targeting Pilots is just.. ugh. Maybe it should be demoted to a secondary, or an attachment. I dunno.

It would not matter if it took the entire match to target a Pilot. It doesn't matter that it's set as your primary, giving you what some would like to think is a handicap. Just look at an enemy and your job is done. That kind of mechanic does not belong in versus.

What were they thinking?
I don't see how you guys are struggling against the Smart pistol. There's no way a smart pistoler should be getting a full lock on you, and if you see each other at the same time, you should win the 1v1 with any weapon other than a sidearm or DMR.

I think you guys are thinking that just because a smart pistol is being used, he's getting max lock on you in half a second. It's your imagination. In a 1v1 he may get one lock, and after that, he's gotta aim/hip fire without the locking. And he's at a great disadvantage compared to the prevalent automatic weapons and shotguns. You just got outplayed.

This game is great. It's perfect for my play style. Constant motion, pulling off actions as fast as my brain can send the signals. Snipers are fundamentally wrong in this game. I make it my mission to seek revenge whenever one kills me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can we talk a bit about cards? .

The shotgun amp is nice, makes it automatic instead of semi.

The amped LMG is my rodeo gun of choice.

I like the robot disguise whatever is called, you run around clanking just like the npcs.

I just used ghost squad and had an 89 point attrition round, that was crazy. Still lost though, sigh.

They should make it so you can only join those servers by invite/joining party. They shouldn't be able to be in those servers by themselves.

Sure, the private lobbies and matchmaking are as barebones as it gets now, presumably it will be better at release and get better over time as they tweak/add functionality. They'll also need to do the same thing that MWO did which was make separate queues for pre-mades and randoms otherwise the established teams will win every single match vs. the randoms they get put up against.

LowParry

I have to say full screen with adaptive v-sync via the nvidia control panel went well today.

Do we know of any tricks with AMD? It's kind of a hit and miss with framerate. It works well a lot of times but others when things get all crazy on screen, it the frames drop. Nothing like a slideshow but it's not dipping below 30. Hovers around the 40s.

Bombless

I burned the Ogre card. It had the exact same weapons I would normally use and did not seem significantly different in any way. Kind of a let down.

Except that you burn that card right at the start of the game and deploy your titan in 5 seconds flat. Completely wrecks the enemy team.

In terms of differences, you get less boost (one bar) and the shield overdrive (which did make a difference). Didn't really notice a base resistance upgrade though.

gaming_noob

Just played it on max settings on PC. This is a definite system seller. Amazing, amazing game, and this is coming from a COD and Halo fan.

ultron87

It is going to be really weird once everyone figures out what to do when getting rodeo'd. Because you'll never want to actually stay on top of a piloted Titan for more than a few seconds. So it'll be this weird cat and mouse thing where you jump on, the pilot immediately jumps out, and you have to jump off and try and kill him.

So, trying to play this game with a party of 4 is impossible. It will put us in a lobby then start going crazy and kicking people out, crashing to dashboard and all kinds of crap.

I'm sure part of it has to do with the party system so I hope a lot if it is ironed out in the March update but it's incredibly frustrating right now to not be able to play the game with friends without running into a dozen problems.

It is going to be really weird once everyone figures out what to do when getting rodeo'd. Because you'll never want to actually stay on top of a piloted Titan for more than a few seconds. So it'll be this weird cat and mouse thing where you jump on, the pilot immediately jumps out, and you have to jump off and try and kill him.

Smoke Screen baby.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Game is tons of fun. I'm a sucker for good traversal. Dislike the grunt aspect, though. It's pretty obvious they're only there to help less skilled players level up/unlock their Titans.

If there is a mode where everything is unlocked and everyone is on an even playing field, I may have to pick it up.

Oh a pilot once did the meltdown eject on me when I rodeoed the titan. I got catapulted into the air along with the pilot and then got taken out with a smart pistol while I was just floating there lol.

Also yeah the smoke screen will kill you real quick.

Man no way..the shotgun is a monster in this game.

Yeah, its range is pretty insane for a videogame shotgun. I've been killed at ridiculous distance with that thing. :lol

I also like the regular pistols, they're a valid option when you have to reload during a gunfight.

derFeef

Game is tons of fun. I'm a sucker for good traversal. Dislike the grunt aspect, though. It's pretty obvious they're only there to help less skilled players level up/unlock their Titans.

If there is a mode where everything is unlocked and everyone is on an even playing field, I may have to pick it up.

I don#t think such a mode exists in the game according to the infos we have. And why would you want that ... Last Titan Standing sounds like a mode you can enjoy.

And I have no idea why the grunts are only there for "less skilled players to unlock their Titans" - better players will utilize them even more.

RulkezX

Just played it on max settings on PC. This is a definite system seller. Amazing, amazing game, and this is coming from a COD and Halo fan.

It's going to sell PC's. ?

Having played on a PC all weekend and then X1 tonight , the X1 version has horrendous pop in and frame drop.

Might not be an issue for those only playing on Xbox , I found the performance to be very off puting though.

Clawww

I don#t think such a mode exists in the game according to the infos we have. And why would you want that ... Last Titan Standing sounds like a mode you can enjoy.

And I have no idea why the grunts are only there for "less skilled players to unlock their Titans" - better players will utilize them even more.

exactly. better players will constantly be on the move and running into more grunts, and eb able to avoid getting exposed on the minimap because they don't stick around after picking off grunts. grunt density in a given area can help you figure out what's going on and if there might be enemy pilots around, also.

I like the grunts. When I'm zooming around the map they add flavor to the areas where there would otherwise be no other action. and you can kill them which is nice

After putting in several hours, my biggest complaint about the game is that sometimes it's hard to tell when you're getting attacked as a Pilot. I've had a few occasions where someone came up to me and emptied a full clip into my back and I didn't really notice until I was dead. Maybe it's just because there's so much stuff happening on the screen.

Top Bottom