• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Bombless

I really like this game. I'm surprised that's it's taken this long for a shooter to get vertical movement right but I feel that TF nails it. Here is a triple kill I got last night in Last Titan Standing in case any one cares to take a look. March 11th can't come soon enough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc3JTXoSnUA

oh yeah I punched a dude off the cliff

Nuke Eject + Autoeject is so funny when it happens in the middle of a clump of enemies.

Zeliard

This game is great. It's perfect for my play style. Constant motion, pulling off actions as fast as my brain can send the signals. Snipers are fundamentally wrong in this game. I make it my mission to seek revenge whenever one kills me.

Heh, that's what people said about snipers in Tribes: Ascend too, and than game is considerably faster-paced that this one. Snipers will have great utility once people are more accustomed to the game and good teamwork and communication starts developing, spotting high-value targets and such.

As is stands now it's really useful in murdering swaths of grunts and the start and getting your mech up early. Might even be more effective at that than the smart pistol, and safer. Generally I prefer to stick with other weapons at this stage, though.

Archpath1

All it took was paying the guys who made call of duty. I am glad at least some one wants to change up the tired old formula. Even if only a little bit.
Better than what was happening with cod already , arcadey shooters needed something new, and not just more kill streaks/guns/maps

derFeef

Headphones are so crucial for this game. I can hear an enemy rodeoing me long before the alert pops up on screen.

Also the audio chatter is really detailed.

"you are outnumbered two to one" and it tells you when a Titan attacks you from behind etc., it's really good and it immerse you into the world.

Every match I've seen on YouTube seems to end with the winning team camping out beneatht eh enemy dropshipa and mercilessly unloading on it. It's too bad that meta game has already been ruined.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Every match I've seen on YouTube seems to end with the winning team camping out beneatht eh enemy dropshipa and mercilessly unloading on it. It's too bad that meta game has already been ruined.

What, should they just let it go? The losing team should have taken out more of their titans, then.

derFeef

That's what you do ... or kill everyone left. It's extra points.
What's your suggestion?

Skidd

Prosthetic legs + Good traversal skills = Fly through the map. So good, dat speed!

Got 10+ pilot kills and 0 deaths thank to them.

Played a bit of the beta. Concern: the smart pistol is laughably overpowered. It dispatches minions like a hot knife through butter, and pilots aren't much harder to top. (Hint: while it takes three lock-ons to gib a pilot using the smart pistol, one lock-on is still a guarenteed hit and does a pile of damage). Outside of outnumbered situations (in which case you're screwed regardless of weapon), vs Titans (where you have to get the Big Gun out and pray the mech doesn't notice you), and going close quarters with a shotgunner (in which case, the melee instagib is more efficient for both sides), I don't think there's any point in using any other gun. Do note I'm playing the PC version, where players can (and will) spin on a dime. I have to wonder how incredibly broken it's going to be for console users, where turning speed is far slower. I can quite easily see the autopistol becoming the new noobtube (and it's available from level 1, to add insult to injury).

[Edit] Also, everyone should have Auto Sprint set to "always".

derFeef

I got the grenade launcher anti titan weapon thing as a Burn Card - holy hell it's wearing down a Titan in like two salves.

Jito

Banned
Hardpoint is easily the best mode at the moment. Having only 1 cap point on the map accessible by the Titan forces players who would usually sit in a Titan all game to get out and cap the points. Results in a lot of switching between the two and great moments trying to cap a point with your Titan protecting you outside the window!

je_ssi e

I like the grunts. When I'm zooming around the map they add flavor to the areas where there would otherwise be no other action. and you can kill them which is nice
I don't mind them to a point. I like that they fill up the map. They're just not fun to kill. I wish they were more of threat. I don't want the same kind of opposition a human opponent gives, but at least have them fight back a little. Right now they're just a boring distraction that hands you a few points.

J-Rzez

Every anti-personnel gun in this game is garbage except for the Carbine.

It doesn't matter what you use, everything kills everything so damned fast, with no gun control skills needed due to the tuning of recoil/spread. Only the shotgun lacks at range. That smart pistol is bullshit though, taking a lot of skill out of play with it's locking on of people jumping all around. Worst weapon system in a competitive shooter since akimbo shotties.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i think this is a pretty fun game with a good port. i love how there's color settings for a tv and a monitor. i love how you can compete with a controller. i am more interested now than i was before but i won't be breaking the guybrush threepwood rule for it.

Put in several hours today and got to level 14. I'm liking the game more and more. I was earlier on going with auto gun, but would suck against any player. Moved to shotgun and things got much better. Plus i'm getting better in the titan. Its been a long LONG time since i've been able to actually improve in a modern fps. Usually in games like BF, or COD i just get constantly destroyed.

I still wish there was some distinction of who's a grunt or player on the map & game. I hate when they blend in with grunts and i spot them too late. Personally i'd love a no grunt mode and a 16 vs 16 match or something. With some cap on # of titans or something for balance.

Also does the Minion map perk show player on it or just grunts? It seems like only enemy grunts

KorrZ

Except a smart player stays on the rooftops and picks off everyone. I haven't died to a shotgun because I never go inside buildings and am always on the move.

I play always on the move with the shotgun. It has very good range, and a carbine doesn't help anyone when I've got huge momentum flying up the rooftop - one shot right as i come up over the ledge of the roof and you're done before you can react.

I still wish there was some distinction of who's a grunt or player on the map & game. I hate when they blend in with grunts and i spot them too late. Personally i'd love a no grunt mode and a 16 vs 16 match or something. With some cap on # of titans or something for balance.

Also does the Minion map perk show player on it or just grunts? It seems like only enemy grunts

The minion detector perk only shows the grunts on the map - look at the mini map when you're playing, grunts show up as the tiny little arrows/dots whereas the players show up as much bigger dots.

TBF that's kind of the point of the endmatch, you can try to hunt down the pilots trying to get to the dropship (if you don't have a titan you end up doing this) or you can just attack the dropship to blow it up before it leaves (if you have a titan you probably end up doing this).

Minion map perk is to show the "minions" but the players are also shown (with or without the perk), they are the bigger dots. I think that using a suppressor conceals the player on the minimap so you gotta have that in consideration.

Except a smart player stays on the rooftops and picks off everyone. I haven't died to a shotgun because I never go inside buildings and am always on the move.
Depends, if you're playing the "Hardpoint" mode you kinda have to go inside some buildings unless you don't want to do the objectives.

I've been playing solidly for 3 days now. I decided to bring some friends over to try it out. Interestingly enough, of the four friends that came over,1 went out to buy an xbox one today and 2 others are seriously considering it.I really do think this is the system seller for the Xbox one. I love the game and this is coming from someone who has not really played a first person shooter in a couple of years. Yes the smart pistol is a pain in the ass, but that's a small criticism. It will be interesting to see how word of mouth does its job. Brilliant move to do an open beta.

BrikHog

Neo Member
The Sidewinder is such trash, thing needs a buff or a charge shot. I swear it does no damage to Titans unless you're riding their balls.

Oh and the shotty/stim is such a beast, got a feeling it will get nerfed after beta

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Sidewinder is such trash, thing needs a buff or a charge shot. I swear it does no damage to Titans unless you're riding their balls.

Oh and the shotty/stim is such a beast, got a feeling it will get nerfed after beta

Your supposed to clear their shield with an arc grenade then let it rip.

Oh I got this post. Its reverse psychology, right?

Best gun in the game by far. Seriously don't get the complaints about the smart pistol.

Carbine is super versatile at all ranges; there are too many rooftop-to-rooftop engagements for SMG and Shotgun to be worthwhile, unless you plan to spend all your time indoors.

KorrZ

I find the Sidewinder to be way more effective for me personally. 1 clip of the Sidewinder does about equal, if maybe a little more damage than 1 of the homing rockets (can't remember the name). You can fire it off super quickly though, and it has 2 key advantages for me which is, you don't have to wait for a lock on, and 2, it doesn't show the Titan pilot where he's being hit from.

Makes it great for ambushing Titans from behind while they're engaged with another Titan. With the homing rocket, they know to get the fuck out of the way.

Hip Hop

I actually thing the other Anti-Titan weapon is trash.

The sidewinder is amazing, you just have to know when to strike. I've stolen a lot of Titan kills with it too.

Their shield has to be down and the critical parts of the Titan have to be glowing red. Aim for that and it will go down in no time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, why is the quality such shit even at 720p. My Ryse clips look infinitely better, but my titanfall clips look like dogshit.

I think it's the fog on the ground, it murders the picture. It actually seems better to upload it directly to youtube instead of linking there.

The Amped Sidewinder burn card is amazing in Last Titan Standing. Get to the fray, pop out and let your Titan distract the enemy, then take them out. And it persists across rounds as long as you don't die as a Pilot.

NVIDIA really needs to jump on getting proper drivers for this game. This game is a stutter and tearing fest at both 1080p and 4k. I'm genuinely surprised at how badly this game performs on a 780.

Respawn needs to fix the shitty framecap. My god. Even using the trick posted by alo81 on reddit does not make the game function any smoother.

Hip Hop

NVIDIA really needs to jump on getting proper drivers for this game. This game is a stutter and tearing fest at both 1080p and 4k. I'm genuinely surprised at how badly this game performs on a 780.

Response needs to fix the shitty framecap. My god. Even using the trick posted by alo81 on reddit does not make the game function any smoother.

Is there a way to remove the framecap besides upping the V-sync refresh rate?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This game gives me major bloodlust. I just want to kill everything that moves.

Bombless

The lockon launcher is garbage. Deals a lot of damage but gives away your position, takes forever to fire and can miss if the titan dashes behind cover. The sidewinder is deadly because they don't hear you coming and if you have to run to cover after firing a few shots you've done some damage anyway, with the launcher you lose your lock and do nothing.

Also the amped launcher is even more terrible, the warhead has such a ridiculous low travel speed.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just had my first couple of games on the Attrition mode.

The game certainly feels like your average shooter until the Titans come into play, then it becomes interesting. I'm not sure if it's just me, but getting a distinct "District 9" feel to the Atlas Titan too, which makes made me enjoy it all the more.

Just getting into the things feels special somehow, it just clicks somehow.

To half dispute the Nvidia post below, I found the game really smooth on my 780, even downsampled from 2880 * 1620 when on foot. When in a Titan my fps dips but it's using all my GPU (4xAA applied too, which may be overkill) so it's hitting the limits of the card. Little stutter or tearing outside of the frame dips though.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Most fun I've had playing a multi-player shooter since COD 4. I hit the level cap hours ago and still can't stop playing. So much fun.

I'm still kind of bummed about the lack of a real single-player campaign. I understand the reasons for why it's not there, but it would be cool to see OG Infinity Ward make a crazy sci-fi campaign.

Hawk269

I am not really into the twitch, fast gun type of games, but I am really enjoying this. I do suck..I mean big time, but I am having fun and feel great when I place 3rd on the team instead of my usual last place! lol.

I am pretty impressed on how good it looks. I hope the frame rate and screen tearing get smoothed out before release. From what I understand, this Beta is using older code, so hopefully it will be better. If Respawn is saying they may up the resolution, I hope it is with the frame rate and screen tearing fixed.

JdFoX187

Banned
Been trying to play for the last 45 minutes. Every time, it'll load into a match, stutter as I'm picking my loadout and then kick me back to the mains screen with some generic server timed out message. The impressions make me want to like this game, but it'd be nice if I could actually get into a match.

Top Bottom