• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Yuripaw

Banned
This might not solve it, but; make sure you're both on the latest version of Origin (that came out last night or this morning). I'd shut down Origin completely (make sure the tray icon is gone), start it back up, manually check for a new version, etc.

Sorry if that doesn't fix it. You're not the only one affected. =\

Yeah, we've both taken steps like that where we've uninstalled and reinstalled Origin to the latest version. Weird thing is, it only does it between me and him. He has another friend who he can interact with just fine. I don't know. Hopefully EA fixes that stuff at least around the time the game ships.

You guys made a hell of a game though, I've been loving it so far. This is coming from a guy who was really getting burned out on the genre, but this breathed new life into it for me. ^_^

Hip Hop

Also, has anyone had problems with the Origin overlay?

I can't bring it up when I am in game sometimes (probably works 20 percent of the time I start up the game) so I can't join a friend or invite him unless I tab out. It seems like Titanfall doesn't like when I tab out either as the performace drops immensely, both in menu and game and can sometimes shut down the game as well.

Hip Hop

Ah nice, it did work, thanks a lot. Dat screen tearing though :(.

Oh well, an excuse for me to get a 120 hz monitor.

I really hope they uncap the framerate and/or add a framerate limiter.

Would be nice to play at 120fps with those monitor. (It can easily hit that right now, but it is stuttering mess with V-Sync on, the only way to get past the 60FPS mark)

Hawk269

Lots of under-the-hood performance improvements have already been done since this Beta build was locked down, that'll be in the full release. The Beta itself is informing further improvements (and bugfixes, of course).

That is good to hear. At this time, do you know if the screen tearing will be eliminated in the Xbox One version of the game? Like everyone, I want a smooth 60fps, but I am one of those guys that like my cake as well, so no screen tearing would be very much appreciated.

Rayme

Is anyone having trouble bringing a party into a game on the Xbox version? We're trying to have a beta LAN, but only two of us seem to make it into a match (provided it doesn't boot everyone back to the lobby and/or crash). Help!

This can help:

Use the game's private lobby to form your party, instead of doing it before you launch the game.

So:
-Start Titanfall.
-Hit "Play" on the main menu to connect to your private lobby.
-Press Right-Trigger to invite people (you'll see the prompt at the bottom of the screen).
-This'll bring up an OS screen that lets you pick multiple friends at once.
-Pick them, and hit Invite. This'll return you to the game.
-If you're lucky (and believe in your dreams), your friends should get the invite.

Also:
-As long as they're in your party, they should find you when they hit "Play" on the main menu, if the auto-join somehow failed.

A lot of the problems you've been having should be smoothed out by March 11. MS is improving a lot of it.

Zeliard

Gameplay for me is pretty smooth with vsync triple buffering on @ 120fps. Had to turn down a bunch of settings to get it to stay at 120, however, and I'd much rather turn vsync off to minimize input lag.

So silly that you have to actually turn vsync on to get above 60. Beta or not, I have never seen that before. Hope it's fixed by release.

Listonosh

Played Attrition almost exclusively and I have to say that playing as the Pilot is almost more fun for me than in a Titan. They honestly nailed high speed movement in this game, and it feels pretty great to wall run, then jump off to another wall run and then double jump to the top of a building. That's just not something you're used to in games like this (though Brink tried...)

When I do get my Titanfall, I tend to have it follow or guard me so I can keep the on-foot action going. Seriously, it's that damn good.

And also that automatic Pistol... what an interesting firearm. Great for farming Grunts and Spectres super quick.

EndersAres

Neo Member
Game is really fun. I like that I can use my TF2 boderless parameters since its a source game. The titans are really fun to get and use. I never remember to use the burn cards.

GavinGT

Banned
Lots of under-the-hood performance improvements have already been done since this Beta build was locked down, that'll be in the full release. The Beta itself is informing further improvements (and bugfixes, of course).

Can we please get an option to view the full score card in between matches? Thanks.

I've seen this comment a lot and I've really not experienced any good smart pistol players personally, the shotgun will destroy it up close and the carbine will destroy it from medium-long distance, it's just too slow.

Same. Only put in two hours or so but using the shotgun I can just obliterate smart pistol users.

I am having a pretty horrible mouse stuttering issue. I read earlier in the thread someone found a fix in the Nvidia Control Panel but I can't seem to find the post again. Makes the game nearly unplayable when it's bad.

Waaghals

I really despise the smart pistol.

I have only really been killed by the SP when playing with substantial lag (130ms+, it happens sometimes). It makes me a tiny bit slower and gives the guy with the pistol enough time to lock on.

I tried using it but found it difficult. I believe placement and understanding the movement of the map is important when playing with that weapon. You don't need aim, but you need a good firing solution so to speak.

Finding a good place to hold up seems critical.

It doesn't keep it from feeling ultra-cheap when I get killed by one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh, does the burn card screen cause some weird screen flicker for anyone else when they quickly scroll through?

Rayme

I am having a pretty horrible mouse stuttering issue. I read earlier in the thread someone found a fix in the Nvidia Control Panel but I can't seem to find the post again. Makes the game nearly unplayable when it's bad.

Turning off VSYNC will work-around that bug in Beta.

EDIT: Burn card screen flickering is known bug (harmless, but annoying), fixed for final game.

I think respawn has a big hit on their hands. I had some concerns about the smart pistol but it doesn't seem like it is imbalanced. Shotgun appears to dominate it hard close range and it doesn't lock on at long range so the AR is clearly better there.

Playing on PC btw. Runs really smooth on my rig despite being fairly old equipment. I have a e8400 core 2 duo @3ghz and a gtx 560. I didn't check the FPS but it is running really well and still looks great.

No complaints from me so far.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Awesome!

G_Berry

Banned
I have only really been killed by the SP when playing with substantial lag (130ms+, it happens sometimes). It makes me a tiny bit slower and gives the guy with the pistol enough time to lock on.

I tried using it but found it difficult. I believe placement and understanding the movement of the map is important when playing with that weapon. You don't need aim, but you need a good firing solution so to speak.

Finding a good place to hold up seems critical.

It doesn't keep it from feeling ultra-cheap when I get killed by one.

Smart pistol is so bad ass.

Nothing better than running round the map, wall running up and over a ledge to find a heap of minions only to unleash the smart pistol like a boss.

Now, the one thing I want other than an Australian server is to be able to select my auto titans feed after I die at the end. I wanna watch that bitch tearing shit up!!!

Argonomic

I've played quite a bit and gotten two Stryder, one Ogre and one Atlus.

Anyone else get the card that turns you into a specter? I think it's utterly useless but cool nonetheless.

What's pissing me off is that I haven't gotten the smart pistol card since day one. That gun is soooo good.

In challenges you can see that some challenges reward burn cards. Such as the smart pistol challenges.

a question will titanfall a campain mode?

No.

[Edit] To elaborate, there's "campaign multiplayer" which is from my understanding little more than a fixed list of "x game mode on y map" with added cutscenes (i.e. similar to how Brink handled its campaign, sans the option of having singleplayer bot matches). If you're looking for a campaign in the style of something like Call of Duty or recent Battlefields, you won't find it here.

tensuke

Smart/Auto/Whatever pistol is crazy op. If you're even halfway decent at aiming you can pick off headshots from like a mile away, bots or players. It's dumb imo.

I like it so far, not sure if it's a buy yet (maybe on sale) but the parkour stuff is neat and titans are funnish, a few things could be improved but it's pretty solid so far.

Also yeah, I get the flickering too on the burn card screen. Probably just beta niggles.

Yeah got into the beta.. I sucks AHHAAHAH :) LOL but 60fps locked at 2560x1440 with 4XMSAA and almost 60fps lock without MSAA in 4K SuperSampled. Pretty sure with some driver optimisation it will be there, Still Funny! :) on a 780OC btw

I've noticed it's not too intensive to max everything out, graphics don't wow or anything and it's a (heavily) modified source engine so I don't expect it to.

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Yeah got into the beta.. I sucks AHHAAHAH :) LOL but 60fps locked at 2560x1440 with 4XMSAA and almost 60fps lock without MSAA in 4K SuperSampled. Pretty sure with some driver optimisation it will be there, Still Funny! :) on a 780OC btw

Nabs

I'm an idiot for not always having Shadow Play on.

This dude was camping a room with a window, but it also had one right above him. I jumped over it, shot him once with the shotty, fell down in front of the window he was camping and finished him off before touching the ground. Ridiculous.

CRS

Don't like that the Smart Pistol continues to work when the pilot is hit by an Arc Grenade or Electric Smoke. It should have some effects on it.

So, I got a burn card for the fast Titan (you get to start the round out with one).

Very Very fun. Lots of people asking how I got the Titan during the round. Really liked it. He's basically useless in a Titan fight, but great for moving around the edges of the map and picking off pilots and doing a bit of damage to Titans from a distance.

I got about 12 pilot kills with him and 1 Titan kill before he was put down. I was a little pissed at the guy who finally ended his run :p

I dont know if I like the sound of this...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here's a random question - when you rodeo a Titan, you rip off its cover in order to shoot it. But if you jump off and then jump back on, is that cover gone? Or is it still there because they need to give you some down time before you can shoot it again?

ElRenoRaven

Here's a random question - when you rodeo a Titan, you rip off its cover in order to shoot it. But if you jump off and then jump back on, is that cover gone? Or is it still there because they need to give you some down time before you can shoot it again?

It's gone. That's why it's good to jump off if the pilot gets out and kill them then jump back on.

If you registered for the Titanfall PC beta prior to 4:00PM PST on Saturday, February 15th, you have been granted access to the beta.

Users will start seeing the beta appear in their My Games Library in Origin over the next several hours.

We’re getting more people into the PC beta so we can stress servers in preparation for launch on March 11th.

Well, I like the sound of that. Now I play the waiting game! (since it's not in my library yet...)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Glad someone else gets it.

Yep, I just played a couple of Attrition rounds with it and a silencer attached. All I did was run around looking for grunts / spectres and killed any pilot I came across. In the time it took for me to lock-on (I know it's shorter with the other attachment) I could have killed them a lot quicker with a different weapon. It's really not that great of a weapon, to be honest.

reckless

So am I the only one that can't play most of the time.
After finding a server from the main menu, you get a loading screen with space ships on it. My game always gets stuck on this screen for like 10 minutes then i get a lost connection screen.

The only way i can play is by using a VPN, anyone got an ideas of how to fix this?
(At school so no router access)
I just dont get how it was fine yesterday and the day before but now won't work.

Thanati

I 'like' it but it feels a LOT like COD though. Also, I feel the AI are just cannon fodder and after a while it's really off putting when they just line up to die.

Not as interested as I thought I'd be.

WarMacheen

At this point, I've seen TitanFall, and played it. The problem is that every time I play it I simply want to turn it off and play BF4. I hope it does well, but for me its a meh.

I've seen TitanFall...and I'm not really excited.

Top Bottom