• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Anyword on when the PC beta will be open for all?

A few posts up:

If you registered for the Titanfall PC beta prior to 4:00PM PST on Saturday, February 15th, you have been granted access to the beta.

Users will start seeing the beta appear in their My Games Library in Origin over the next several hours.

We’re getting more people into the PC beta so we can stress servers in preparation for launch on March 11th.

dentoomw

Titan on Titan gun battle. I'm on the losing end, eject out - somehow manage to maneuver myself to land on my opponent's titan and rodeo him to death, god that felt awesome :)

Anyways I honestly have nothing but good impressions so far.

Gunplay feels good. Shooting is tight and hits feel impactful. Gun animations and sounds come together nicely.

Parkour was much easier to get into than I imagined, which helped considering the game initially appears to be quite complex but I actually found it was easier to jump into and play than say, Battlefield.

Titans get the feel down of being in a giant death robot while avoiding the clunky "Mechwarrior" feel and still remaining distinct from being on foot.

Matches seem to be about the right length - not too long and not too short. Love how there are AI grunts placed as well so you avoid the "Battlefield" syndrome where you'd be running around with nothing to shoot at.

I think they need to increase the spray of the SMG. Once you unlock the upgraded HCoG sights, it basically becomes a rifle that you can hipfire with ease or snipe people across the map with. It reminds me of old IW CoD games where you could outsnipe a sniper with a LMG. I never liked that and I don't like it now. Why would I pick the Carbine if the SMG gives me the benefit of hipfire at close range and only a slight nerf to really long range targets compared to the Carbine...at a higher fire rate?

The low range on the SMG's information card really needs to mean more than it does here.

Apath

Man this thing was not meant to run on HD 4000 graphics. Trying this on my Surface Pro, and while the frame rate is solid there are horrible graphical glitches, and for some reason setting the game to a lower than native-res literally makes it that resolution on the screen (so it's like a small box in the middle of the screen).

Oh well.

E92 M3

Why do people feel the bots need to be challenging? If they could kill people it would kinda break the flow of the game. I think its perfect as it is, and they serve their purpose well.

Exactly! Bots serve is an appetizer before battles with humans. The only thing, though is that bots look like pilots sometimes and got me in trouble a few times.

In general, I FUCKING LOVE this game. You can do pretty much whatever your heart imagines -- they thought of everything. It's so obvious that they focused on fun mechanics before anything else. There is just so many ways to play. I'm going to try to not play too much more, because I keep getting difficult challenges and don't want do all of that before the retail.

All in all, I don't how people can call this COD with mechs, because it's very much not. Hell, I don't know how I can play any other shooters (except maybe Halo) and enjoy them.

Titanfall is Halo 2 level of fun for me.

Just played a few hours on PC, I'm not sold 100% yet but I am having lots of fun. Hardpoint seems to be a little bit less frantic and a good way to get used to the speed of the game.

Is there a GAF group or somewhere to get games together? Anyway, my Origin ID is DonnyDont, so add me if you'd like.

Haines

Banned
The thing that will keep me coming back is the mech play in the game. I like mec assault better but this game is really cool and lots of variety but not overly like bf where it BC too much.

I wish the beta had all 3 mechs.

E92 M3

Fwiw, the dropship in that video had barely a sliver of health left when the titan dropped through it. =)

Any chance you can say if the game will have any snow or rain maps? That'd be so freaking cool. Also, have you guys thought about raising the Attrition point limit? The matches seem to end as soon as the chaos ramps up.

Played 4 rounds of Attrition earlier, got the highest score in every round and never died a single time in all 4. Felt like a beast.

Then of course it all went to shit lol

Figured I'd post this video to demonstrate what happens when you try to record with ShadowPlay at 1080p.

It ain't pretty.

http://youtu.be/yvsaz6tqH3Y?t=1m41s

The frame drops aren't noticeable on youtube because it's all defaulted to 30fps. When you said you're noticing frame drops it all just looked the same

BraXzy

This guy attempted to lunge at me and this is what happened to him.
http://1drv.ms/1gaowEJ
capturevouq0.gif

That was too awesome so I re-giffed it a little bigger :)

Untitled-1.gif

Fwiw, the dropship in that video had barely a sliver of health left when the titan dropped through it. =)

I'm pretty sure I've done it when the dropship was at half health before. Now I'm going to camp right underneath it to see if it takes it out with shields still on or at/near full health.

Ultryx

PC impression here.

It definitely has the feel of Call of Duty, but it is its own game and still totally different. I think it's mostly just the gun play that makes me feel that way. With that said, I have played around 4 hours and I've been having a blast. It's super fun to play. I'm definitely heavily interested in the retail release. I don't think I'll be spending $60 on this game though. I'll wait to buy it at $30-$40, unless it gets released and reviews are phenomenal and there's tons of content/levels we didn't get to see in the beta.

Fingers crossed!

Figured I'd post this video to demonstrate what happens when you try to record with ShadowPlay at 1080p.

It ain't pretty.

http://youtu.be/yvsaz6tqH3Y?t=1m41s

Do you know your encoder settings or does ShadowPlay auto upload? As shitty as the framerate drops are that vid seems to sidestep a little of the artifacting issues that have been plaguing youtube Titanfall videos. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my own to look nicer

Ryaaan14

Banned
Do you know your encoder settings or does ShadowPlay auto upload? As shitty as the framerate drops are that vid seems to sidestep a little of the artifacting issues that have been plaguing youtube Titanfall videos. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get my own to look nicer

That's all YouTube shit. I'm sure there are ways to fuck around with the videos to lose some of that, but it's a pain in the ass.

Bombless

PC impression here.

It definitely has the feel of Call of Duty, but it is its own game and still totally different. I think it's mostly just the gun play that makes me feel that way. With that said, I have played around 4 hours and I've been having a blast. It's super fun to play. I'm definitely heavily interested in the retail release. I don't think I'll be spending $60 on this game though. I'll wait to buy it at $30-$40, unless it gets released and reviews are phenomenal and there's tons of content/levels we didn't get to see in the beta.

Fingers crossed!

I'm in the same boat. It's great, but I feel it won't entertain me for enough hours to justify 60$.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Switched from the carbine to the smart pistol. It's hard to get the hang of, actually.

What are people expecting from the A.I? For them to annoy you with damage? To kill you?

Either of those would make the experience frustrating.

You can ignore A.I, which is well and fine, but people can also utilize them, offering an alternative method of scoring/building Titans, etc.

If anything, the A.I. is so painfully mechanical that they just come off as robotic. How would you guys feel if you could actually control the flow of the A.I? Direct them to take certain hardpoints, for example? Set them to defend, or distract, or something?

I wonder how much better this game would be if it made more unique modes that took from MOBAs. Having a base, or a tower that could be destroyed within a CTF mode, for example, that maybe beefed up the grunts (like in DOTA), so that they could take objectives faster, or destroy bases, etc.

I would have liked to see a mode where you destroy a base (like Titan mode in BF), and then utilize grunts to make them more meaningful in that way.

Top Bottom