• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall boosts Xbox One UK sales by 96%, Tea and Crumpets for all!

BigDug13

How is doubling sales in two days being downplayed??

Because it depends on what period. If they're comparing the sales from a bunch of people picking up Titanfall bundles on day 1 from preorders, and comparing it to just the previous week when most people stopped buying the system because the Titanfall bundle was announced and was going to be cheaper, and their total gain is only 2x of that slower week due to anticipation of the bundle which was basically a price drop, that's not a whole lot of sales.

In other words, they're using percentage numbers to sound impressive, but are shying away from using any real numbers which always should throw up red flags when it happens.

In a perfect world they would give us the numbers without any consequences... Saving us the time to guess hard number with just ratios and percentages

Eoin

No, it's not -- because the bundles with Titanfall wouldn't release until the game does. So, those were all pre-orders.

The price cut happened over two weeks ago dude, you just couldn't get the TF bundle till last week. The stand alone console went as low as £350 at one point, gamestop were selling the console for £370 and I think game had a crazy ass bundle for £399.99. It would have caused a bump. How big? I don't know, but I've never seen a price cut not bump sales.

Pillville

Good for MS, now lets see if they can keep the momentum up. I wonder what kind of legs Titanfall will have.

Titanfall the game may have legs, but it's about to come out on 360.
So, Titanfall will keep selling, but I really don't think it's going to keep selling XB1s.

BigDug13

The price cut happened over two weeks ago dude, you just couldn't get the TF bundle till last week. The stand alone console went as low as £350 at one point, gamestop were selling the console for £370 and I think game had a crazy ass bundle for £399.99.

Why would people rush out the week before Titanfall just to pick up the console if Titanfall is the reason why they would want the console to begin with?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Of course Titanfall won't be in the top spot... The game isn't on every current console.

I just don't see how this is bad news. People saying "it should have done better" without giving an exact amount/target of how it should have done for it to be "good". It's a bit funny.
We don't know how it's good news either, because we lack the absolute numbers for the console.

I was under the impression this thread is about the Xbox One sales, not about Titanfall which IMO did very well.

Dark Souls is a big enough game to get a ton of adverts on UK tv other the past couple of weeks. Its also launched on 10's of millions of 360's and Ps3's compared to how many hundreds of thousands X1's there are in the UK.

Dark Souls sold 2.3 million in 30 months across PS3/X360.

Dark Souls has the Forza effect to it. The franchise is nowhere near as popular as made out to be.

Eoin

Why would people rush out the week before Titanfall just to pick up the console if Titanfall is the reason why they would want the console to begin with?
You think everyone who picks up an Xbox is interested in TF? Even with the bundle releasing, 30% of sales this week were non TitanFall bundles.

RetroStu

Banned
Dark Souls sold 2.3 million in 30 months across PS3/X360.

Dark Souls has the Forza effect to it. The franchise is nowhere near as popular as made out to be.

That maybe right but you are still comparing a fanboy game launching on millions of consoles vs a mainstream game launching on a few hundred thousand consoles. I'm still suprised Titanfall sold more.

blazeuk

I'd probably be more of the opinion that the higher the percentage increase the more likely that the system was selling terribly before (as percentages for Nintendo have shown), as it is now a 96% increase sounds a healthy amount but obviously we just don't know.

kswiston

2 + million sales is not exactly niche either.

2M sales worldwide might not be as niche as most jrpgs, but it's still pretty small. That's one tenth the copies that Skyrim moved. One fifteenth the copies that GTA V moved.

Also, the Titanfall devs are following up a game that sold over 20M copies.

2M sales worldwide might not be as niche as most jrpgs, but it's still pretty small. That's one tenth the copies that Skyrim moved. One fifteenth the copies that GTA V moved.

Also, the Titanfall devs are following up a game that sold over 20M copies.
2 million is great numbers for Xbone if that's what it does. 1.5m on each of the other 2 platforms, it means 5 million total for their first IP as a new studio who only made a multiplayer game. Add to that that MS is doing free advertising, they're going to pull in a lot of money and afford to have more than 70 people working on the game. I wouldn't doubt Titanfall 2 has 100-120 people working on it.

You're also comparing it to the biggest games of last gen which is crazy.

DBT85

On the Dark Souls front, I don't know a LOT of gamers, but those that I do have either never heard of Dark Souls or have and have no interest in playing it.

Titanfall is a shooter. All the gamers I know play shooters and Fifa.

Vashetti

Banned
After the 360 release is when you will start to see actual sales numbers, given that the 360 version will easily sell the most.

It'll come under the Xbox* Family label though to make the XB1 performance look better.

I think im going to avoid these sales threads until we can get some estimates of hard numbers. Too much wishful thinking, downplaying and premature celebrating.

All we know is Titanfall has sold 125k+ copies in 3 days. The xbox one sales have nearly doubled this weekend.

Thats a fantastic start for the franchise and a real boon to the Xbox one. Everything else we simply do not know and the speculation is getting a bit silly.

It's the last gen effect. All last gen game sales have tanked. I expect it to get worse the further along this year as more people make the switch. More studios either need to have cross gen games or drop last gen completely. User base argument has collapsed.

I agree that last-gen games sales have dropped considerably, but I disagree that this is what impacted Dark Souls 2's sales negatively the most. In fact, even with the low sales of last-gen software it still sold better than the previous game so I think that your reasoning doesn't apply in this specific case, but for general mass-market AAA games I think you're right.

Vashetti

Banned
Dark Souls 2 would have sold much better on PS4/XB1.

Mindset of consumers has changed now that the new machines are out. Even those who are sticking with PS3/360 are buying less software because they would rather wait it out for a better version on the new consoles.

Last-gen/cross-gen needs to die fast.

RetroStu

Banned
How many X1's roughly have sold in the UK compared to the 3million in the US?. If we know 125k Titanfall sales for UK then we could do a rough calculation for how many Titanfall sales in the US as both countries have similar tastes overall.

Raist

Banned
How many X1's roughly have sold in the UK compared to the 3million in the US?. If we know 125k Titanfall sales for UK then we could do a rough calculation for how many Titanfall sales in the US as both countries have similar tastes overall.

3 million in the US? What?

stryke

You wanna try and pad that up a bit more?

kswiston

2 million is great numbers for Xbone if that's what it does. 1.5m on each of the other 2 platforms, it means 5 million total for their first IP as a new studio who only made a multiplayer game. Add to that that MS is doing free advertising, they're going to pull in a lot of money and afford to have more than 70 people working on the game. I wouldn't doubt Titanfall 2 has 100-120 people working on it.

I was mostly talking about Dark Souls. People are acting like it is a notable franchise, but I doubt it even ranks in the top 200 sellers for last gen titles. Bayonetta sold 2M copies.

RetroStu

Banned
Well, 60% of the 3m sold to Dec 31st 2013 were in the NPD purview. I imagine it'll stay like that or get larger for NPD.

So that will probably be about 2mil sold for the US at this point in time?. So how many sold in the UK?. We could work out a rough Titanfall estimate for the US as we know it sold at least 125k in the UK.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if new-thread-worthy, but:

R3OSmDs.png

(He's editor at MCV)

Raist

Banned
So that will probably be about 2mil sold for the US at this point in time?. So how many sold in the UK?. We could work out a rough Titanfall estimate for the US as we know it sold at least 125k in the UK.

XB1 sales in the US are about 2.2mln, including February.
Last fairly precise count for the UK was 364k at the end of 2013.

Not sure if new-thread-worthy, but:

R3OSmDs.png

Oh snap.

Not really surprised TBH given how many PS4 titles went up. Including ones that did not chart last week (AC4, KZ, Lego)

RetroStu

Banned

So if the US follows suit with the UK then we could be looking at something like 700-800k sales of Titanfall in the US. Not bad at all.

There's no sense adding more people to the team unless you need them. If anything they'll try to look at how to do more with the same people they've already got. For all we know team size may not be the deciding factor there's no SP, that could have been a design choice.

Also more people on a dev team doesn't automatically make for a better game.

It's nowhere near 3 million in U.S. The estimate is closer to 2.25 million.

kswiston

So just for rough ballpark figures, lets say that XB1 is sitting at 450k in the UK, and the XB1 version of Titanfall sold those 125k units (PC will be pretty negligible). That works out to a 28% attach rate.

Assuming that US sales will be ~2.5M by the end of March (maybe slightly higher), a similar attach rate would give Titanfall around 700k sales in the US.

Top Bottom