• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

I'm in downloading now currently at 62% :)

vet4eKq.jpg

Thrillers

Banned
I'm pretty sure Call of Duty uses id engine, and Titanfall uses the Source engine.

I stand corrected. They look and preform so similarly (something which has already been litigated right here on this forum) that I was mistaken. Both based on early 2000 engines both at least a decade old. But this will be my last response until someone can answer the question asked.

Let me reiterate the questions so that we can be clear moving forward.

A. What makes titanfall a next gen game other than the fact that it's on the Xbox one?
B. How are we as a community really going to support a multiplayer add on being sold at full price?
C. If we support Titan fall being sold at full price do we have any ground to stand on when the industry raises (and justifiably so) the price of games. Watch Dogs-$60 Destiny-$60 The Division-$60 Watch Dogs a multiplayer add on-$60?

I doubt anyone will attempt to but I'll wait.

RulkezX

I stand corrected. They look and preform so similarly (something which has already been litigated right here on this forum) that I was mistaken. Both based on early 2000 engines both at least a decade old. But this will be my last response until someone can answer the question asked.

I doubt anyone will attempt to but I'll wait.

By definition an "add-on" has to be an additional something.

What exactly is Titanfall an "add on" for ?

And I will continue to support games than give me enjoyment in my all too limited spare time.

HelloMeow

A. What makes titanfall a next gen game other than the fact that it's on the Xbox one?
It's clearly doing new things.
B. How are we as a community really going to support a multiplayer add on being sold at full price?
By not redefining "add on" for starters.
C. If we support Titan fall being sold at full price do we have any ground to stand on when the industry raises (and justifiably so) the price of games. Watch Dogs-$60 Destiny-$60 The Division-$60 Watch Dogs a multiplayer add on-$60?
Do you even know how much content will be in the game? I don't.

I gave Titanfall shit for just being CoD with mechs, but I'm onboard (when it hits $30) after watching Giant Bomb's stream and learning of Last Titan Standing.

velociraptor

So I watched Gamersyde's videos. Gunplay looks virtually identical to COD. However, I like the maneuverability. I just wish I could get a PC beta invite so I could see what the fuss is all about!

Jubbly

PC version looks pretty good when you downsample from 3840x2160. FPS dips to about 40 when fighting, so will probably drop the res a bit for a stable 60+

titanfalldcjiw.png

I really don't think this game looks as bad as people are saying, on either system that it's been shown on thus far, and I think the high quality videos showcase this. It's no looker in stills, but in action it looks pretty damn good.

edit: lol i love seeing the pilot fiddle with the buttons before they eject from their Titan.

PC version looks pretty good when you downsample from 3840x2160. FPS dips to about 40 when fighting, so will probably drop the res a bit for a stable 60+

titanfalldcjiw.png

Besides for gameplay reasons, why are there storage containers all over the place in a city? Still waiting for a futuristic city that looks like a city. This looks like an updated CS level.

Besides for gameplay reasons, why are there storage containers all over the place in a city? Still waiting for a futuristic city that looks like a city. This looks like an updated CS level.

It's war, man, and there's a battle to get the last stock of whatever is being shipped to the last walmart on the planet, which also happens to be the operating headquarters of the bad guys in this Titanic struggle.

Not sure why you want a response since you obviously have a bias against multiplayer games and are set on your opinion of this, but:

A) Is this your first console generation, junior junior? How do you define next gen? Now, this isn't a pretty game or visual revolution, so it's no Mario 64 or Gears of War to what they were for a generation. But it is doing something a bit different, which will probably sit mostly in the campaign. But how many next gen standouts have there been in the past two generations? It at least is doing something to set itself apart, even if it's just a neat take on player movement and mech interaction beyond what was in say Blacklight Retribution.

B) Idk, how do we support so many single player add ons for full price? You don't like multiplayer, and that's fine. But there are people that do and often have that as their primary investment in the industry. No one is preventing you from enjoying the countless single player games out there.

C) What the fuck? Watch Dogs is a single player game with people being able to interact through the online space, similar to what NeoGaf darling Dark Souls did. It's also quite possible that those 'add ons' may have more content than many single player games out there.

Where the hell do people like you come from? I get not liking a game...but stuff like your primary post and these questions is just ridiculous.

Kovet

are all the impressions positive so far? it looks like cod on speed for me and AI cannon fodder looks boring. titan gameplay looks fun tho

are all the impressions positive so far? it looks like cod on speed for me and AI cannon fodder looks boring. titan gameplay looks fun tho

I personally think it looks more like cod when the people playing don't have the faintest idea how to utilize the movement abilities of the pilots. In other words, there's a healthy skill gap to be exploited in this game. :D

Hell, I didn't even know your Titan drop location could be used as a strategic weapon in combat if you line it up with your enemies.

gunner13

Neo Member
This game is extremely fun initially, however to me the AI is sooooo stupid it ultimately takes it away from me and becomes boring very fast. The interaction vs Human doesn't happen enough for me. But it depends what you want out of your shooter if you will enjoy this title or not. If you are competitive and take pride in getting skillful kills I'm not sure this is the shooter for you. If just want to have fun and blow shit up, this is def. the game for you.

This game is extremely fun initially, however to me the AI is sooooo stupid it ultimately takes it away from me and becomes boring very fast. The interaction vs Human doesn't happen enough for me. But it depends what you want out of your shooter if you will enjoy this title or not. If you are competitive and take pride in getting skillful kills I'm not sure this is the shooter for you. If just want to have fun and blow shit up, this is def. the game for you.

I haven't received my code yet, but from what I've seen I'm disappointed in the AI as well. Was sort of hoping that they may do a bit more than run around and slowly rotate in their sad of excuse of taking aim, being only fodder. Sort of wish they would just do something a bit more...be a part of objectives such as an embassy type game of protecting a few holding up. Something to give a bit more meaning to the role.

At times I wish that those roles could be filled by human players, but how would it be decided who gets Titans and who doesn't with the current map design? So the AI seems necessary, but it just feels like it can be taken further than what it is currently.

Probably my only complaint on what has been currently shown thus far.

Tawpgun

Last Titan Standing sounds like the best game mode. I hope they include more objective game modes and more humans only modes.

Including a titanless gametype.

FWIW, LevelCap actually said they do a very good job of creating believable levels. Each house you can enter feels like a house, lots of little details, etc. Said it's done better than most FPS games.

Archpath1

Last Titan Standing sounds like the best game mode. I hope they include more objective game modes and more humans only modes.

Including a titanless gametype.

I thought i saw AI running around in LTS could be wrong and maybe it was a pilot that lost his titan

E92 M3

Been playing the beta for the last two hours and the game is soooooo good. Angel City is an amazing map the mechanics are so much fun. Definitely a skill gap to this game. One thing I can't figure out is how to do the flying eject out of a Titan...is that only the perk?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Where's all the innovative movement stuff they were talking about? This looks like COD with mechs. Lumbering, earthbound COD.

Show me a video of Call of Duty that looks like the gif posted above.

Heck ill repost it just for you.
ibjpbH69BSGYUo.gif

Thrillers

Banned
Not sure why you want a response since you obviously have a bias against multiplayer games and are set on your opinion of this, but:

A) Is this your first console generation, junior junior? How do you define next gen? Now, this isn't a pretty game or visual revolution, so it's no Mario 64 or Gears of War to what they were for a generation. But it is doing something a bit different, which will probably sit mostly in the campaign. But how many next gen standouts have there been in the past two generations? It at least is doing something to set itself apart, even if it's just a neat take on player movement and mech interaction beyond what was in say Blacklight Retribution.

I've been gaming since the snes. How I define next gen is perhaps where my thought process gets me into trouble but to me next gen games are game specifically built for next gen. native 1080p/60fps with a engine that touches upon or better yet showcases what a next gen machine can do. SnowDrop is one hell of a next gen engine. As is Disrupt and frostbite 3. To me (and I'm willing to accept that to others this might be a minority opinion) titan fall (TF) looks like cod. Cod has been the exact same thing for an entire generation but i wont bother trying to litigate an established fact about cod...

B) Idk, how do we support so many single player add ons for full price? You don't like multiplayer, and that's fine. But there are people that do and often have that as their primary investment in the industry. No one is preventing you from enjoying the countless single player games out there.

I love mulitiplayer. Since getting the PS4 i've been heavily into BF4 which is total bliss to me despite the issues is started out with. I've been into clans since unreal etc I'm saying this isn't a full game. And I don't see how we justify as a community paying full price for a multiplayer? the implications for this hobby of ours isn't one people in this thread are prepared to address because it would force them to stop hyping...

Yeah, everything I've seen performance-wise indicates I should be able to downsample and still maintain 60fps on my machine. Really pumped about that.

You're asking people to answer three questions that each make faulty assumptions and only fit your worldview. No one is going to answer them in a way that will satisfy you because you've already made up your mind.

kakashi08

I'm going to Pre-Order this right now. Should I get the digital download or the disc?
What's the diff, and will they send me the disc before the release date and have me preload it or will I have to wait till the games released?

Yeah, it is that good.

I can't remember the last time I played a game for 2 hours and had so many "oh shit" moments. The satisfaction you get in this game, both in kills and being killed, is really wonderful. I haven't had this much fun with an FPS since UT2K4.

Yeah, it is that good.

I can't remember the last time I played a game for 2 hours and had so many "oh shit" moments. The satisfaction you get in this game, both in kills and being killed, is really wonderful. I haven't had this much fun with an FPS since UT2K4.

Another thing that I see often is so many players who are playing this crazy run and gun style that seems to be the only way they know how to play. I suppose it's a habit that many have grown quite accustomed to from popular console shooters over the years, but it can certainly also be played at a more careful and deliberate pace also. The AI are there to be killed, but you won't exactly run out of them. At least not based on any footage I've watched so far, so there's really no need to rush. Titans don't exactly have the big advantage, either, because pilots have a number of skillful ways from what I've seen of sneaking up on them, or inflicting damage while staying out of sight. Titans are just much bigger targets, so that poses as much risk to the Titans themselves as the amount of firepower a Titan has poses to everything else. They really have what I think is a very solid balance to this game.

Imagine a pilot engaging a Titan by sneakily popping in and out from various locations, firing off a few shots. Meanwhile, this pilot has the ability to call their Titan whenever. Nothing stops this pilot from waiting for the right moment, and then choosing for their Titan to spawn right on top of, or near, an enemy Titan. If you get lucky and the Titan drops on top of the enemy Titan, there's going to be some damage there, but if not, your Titan also isn't a sitting duck, because you can trigger the auto pilot, which will still distract the Titan. This gives you, the pilot, the opening you may need to tip the odds of the fight further in your own favor by shooting that Titan in the back, or simply climbing on top of it and attacking it where it's most vulnerable while it's still being attacked by your Titan. Lots of possibilities.

Top Bottom