• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Fracas

#fuckonami
edit: pls read before jumping to conclusions

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.
http://teambeyond.net/titanfall-player-count-revealed/

Earlier today Vince Zampella took to Twitter to answer a question about the player count for Titanfall. The fan asked Zampella to reveal what the player count would be and he responded that Titanfall will support a maximum of six players on each team. Players hoping for large Titan battles will have to settle for smaller matches.

VZFYSIV.png

Courtesy of gaffer CyReN (saw his Twitter feed) and Beyond Entertainment. I remember the thread awhile back where this first popped up but I believe this is the only time it's been confirmed.

Xbox 360 version holding them back? /denial

Honestly, as long as the maps and everything support that player count, this isn't a problem.

Makes sense. I have no idea why people start thinking it would be 64 players or whatever.

Given that all players will have titans following them, there are lots of AI players on the field, etc, a 6v6 player count just makes sense. The maps will be far from empty.

Rather a smaller, tighter experience than a massive sloppy one.

6 on 6 worked a treat when I played it. Doesn't feel empty at all, and the AI plays a bigger part in that than you might think.

Eww. Haven't played it but that doesn't sound good at all. Tisk tisk for those shaming large number multiplayer games. Those are usually the best.

edit: Also I don't want AI in my multiplayer games. Its multiPLAYER, not multiai.

antitrop

This has been known for a long time.

The AI Soldiers should fill up the maps just fine, it won't feel like Ghosts where you're just running around large maps for long stretches of time without actually seeing anything.

No Love

Banned
Rather a smaller, tighter experience than a massive sloppy one.

6 on 6 worked a treat when I played it. Doesn't feel empty at all, and the AI plays a bigger part in that than you might think.

Bingo. Killzone Shadow Fall is 7 v 7 and it's incredibly tight and well balanced.

PHOTOSHOP

thats a good number for competitive mode.
I play CSGO with 5v5 competitive mode and its great. Playing with like 15v15 is too chaotic.

but really depends on the Titanfall map

Justin

Sounds good to me. Don't forget that you can have your Titan be controlled by the AI while you run around as infantry.

Alex

I've come to prefer lower counts, so I like this. I liked big, sprawling player counts back when things were more simple and open and visuals and indications were much more clear but nowadays it's all just a muddled mess for me when you hike it up to the 32/64 fare.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cue freakouts before realizing map design is key to play count. Not everyone is aiming for Battlefield amounts.

Top Bottom