• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall multiplayer footage and overall impressions

SwolBro

Banned
Fair point but the vast majority of people will end up playing the game this way. Basically COD with clambering and verticality.
hopefully not since there will be a single player. the single player should really show people how to play the game

Kill3r7

hopefully not since there will be a single player. the single player should really show people how to play the game

Maybe but there was a tutorial in Titanfall as well and that did not change the way most people played it. Assuming Titanfall 2 is a bigger mass market hit than the original you can bet people will play it like COD.

I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly, but at a glance the HUD seems a bit invasive. I want to focus on the great graphics, but all those bright & colorful icons are distracting. Still, I loved the first game and this is an easy day 1 pickup for me. Really hope the single player delivers too.

Not counting the way these people are playing it (hint: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!), it looks good. Smooth movement, grapple hook seems fun, that slight delay before it reels in is a nice touch.

Maybe but there was a tutorial in Titanfall as well and that did not change the way most people played it. Assuming Titanfall 2 is a bigger mass market hit than the original you can bet people will play it like COD.

More easy stomps for me then, not a bad thing at least for a while XD.

You know what this reminds me of? modern warfare 2.

They took the original and added tons and tons of stuff, including filling the hud with level ups.

This video.. "I would love to see more pilot only game modes" NO NO NO

Kill3r7

Yep, probably wont need to fire a shot for the first week or two. Just smash!!!

Edit: no bots in most modes? Leave them in, they added to the atmosphere. Is there an increased player count to make up for this?

Depends on the game mode. Pilots only is 8v8, 5v5 Bounty Hunt, I assume Attrition will stay 6v6 since Amped Hardpoint has the same number.

Kalentan

They took the original and added tons and tons of stuff, including filling the hud with level ups.

Eh... Honestly the Titans were overhyped in the original game. Far less fun to use than pilots.

Eh... Honestly the Titans were overhyped in the original game. Far less fun to use than pilots.

They were slower and less fun sure but it was the contrast between being on foot and being nimble or being in a tank with a dash and shield, that was an important part of the gameplay imo.

Titans in TF2 so far look slow and they removed shooting the brains of the mech to damage it to straight out stealing its battery, they dumbed it down a ton.

They were slower and less fun sure but it was the contrast between being on foot and being nimble or being in a tank with a dash and shield, that was an important part of the gameplay imo.

Titans in TF2 so far look slow and they removed shooting the brains of the mech to damage it to straight out stealing its battery, they dumbed it down a ton.
What does stealing the battery do?

What does stealing the battery do?

Taking out a portion of the Titan's health, and if you bring it to your own Titan, it repairs your Titan and gives you a layer of non-regenerative shield. It was said you can also bring it to your teammate's Titan but I don't know how that work yet. The enemy can also kill you and take it back (your location is revealed to them), also repair their own Titan and gain a shield.

I had a similar thought last night. MW2's mp was a mess compared to the first game. I still have fond memories of the maps and goofy shit (akimbo 1887s on Highrise!) that transpired after launch, so at least it was a fun mess. I'd hope Titanfall 2's ideas and mechanics are more elegant than that, but it sure won't be a boring sequel if that analogue comes true.

SwolBro

Banned

that tutorial didn't do anything. really.

Keeps your iPhone running for longer.
lolll

Are our GAF codes coming soon, Respawn? ;]

of course i wouldn't get a freaking code despite being endless hours in the first game. only a handful of regulars got codes, and only the ones that stream on twitch occasionally

Miasma

Is this footage actually captured on a PS4? Looks like PC with DS4 UI and Buttons. That aside i'm very excited for this game played a ton of the TF1 on PC.

Papacheeks

Banned
The vast majority of Titanfall players never learned to correctly wallrun, it was one of the reasons I believe the game didn't do as well as it was hyped. For the few who did learn proper movement in TF, the game was literally perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU-eCrGVbLw

That's not a good representation as the person has stimpack on. Which makes you run faster and using it with wall running makes you cover tons of ground using that momentum.

I'm in the Tech Test!
So far, 6 games in, this is like what Modern Warfare 2 was to Call of Duty 4. So much more depth, polished up, slicker, more fluid but definitely more streamlined (things like lower TTK and the lower health of the Titans). I've been playing the PS4 build which is super difficult to find matches in at the moment as to be expected but it's gorgeous and fluid, only drops in really hectic moments. No more screen tearing, either.

I'm eager to see the XB1 version's performance later on as soon as it's downloaded.

I'm in the Tech Test!
So far, 6 games in, this is like what Modern Warfare 2 was to Call of Duty 4. So much more depth, polished up, slicker, more fluid but definitely more streamlined (things like lower TTK and the lower health of the Titans). I've been playing the PS4 build which is super difficult to find matches in at the moment as to be expected but it's gorgeous and fluid, only drops in really hectic moments. No more screen tearing, either.

I'm eager to see the XB1 version's performance later on as soon as it's downloaded.

Thats not good. I've yet to get into a match so Im eager to find out

I'm downloading it now. I'll make some vids and post some stuff. I'm much better than average at FPS but only play TF1 a little on PC. We'll see how it goes. Is bumper jumper the superior scheme?

giphy.gif

That's not a good change, you know that right?
I do, yeah. I have over 1,000hrs played in Titanfall, I'm definitely not a fan of that. I meant for it to sound clear that I think 'streamlined' changes aren't positive ones.

I'm enjoying it so far, but things like that have me disappointed.

Strider

"Streamlined"

Oh boy. I don't think this game is gonna be for me then :(

I found mw2 to be a massive dissappointment after cod4 fwiw so that comparison is kind of a bummer for me.

Will have to try it out for myself tho to find out for sure.

Alright, I still love the game. The movement is better than ever, the Titans feel better, I just really don't dig the new lower TTK. If they fix that up, believe me when I say that this would be my GOTY. This is by all means a far improved sequel to Titanfall. That said, we need more health for Pilots and Titans and Attrition mode with AI enemies.

Oh, and no hyperbole here, I think Respawn made the most satisfying gunplay in any FPS game, bar none. It's unbelievable.

B3N1

After 3 matches, I agree with the poster above, feels like MW2 after CoD4. It's a clusterfuck for the first two matches.

Controls so far are broken for me. There is no way I'm not playing this with Bumper Jumper, but then the Grapple is moved to a face button, rendering it useless.

I'd love a layout that swaps LS and A, as A is already Sprint in Halo 5, and only needed when starting your movement. And left stick is easy to reach. I guess I'll remap my controller until then, but this seems to be the most viable option for somepne that doesn't want to spend $150 to stay competitive.

I hope you Respawn guys read all this stuff.

Just played my first match

Dead easy to troll the Titans with your grappling hook lol.

First impressions are good, and I've actually been playing Titanfall 1 today!

Feels more the same with a couple of extra bells and whistles

Top Bottom