• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall multiplayer footage and overall impressions

Well I don't agree with that, compared to other fps the time to find another player was longer because of map size and low player count that needed to fit titans and bots into them. Yes you run faster and can wallrun and boost everywhere but it was still 6v6 on a big map.

At most it would take 20 seconds to find another player.

I think you misunderstood my post, the things I listed are either reduced, less of a focus or missing altogether.

As someone who played R1 long enough to get to Gen 5 I was hoping they'd be less dramatic with their changes to the core moment to moment gameplay.

Ah I see... for me, I think I just played waaay too much TF1 and was still expecting just more of that, lol

zsynqx

Removing AI bots in most modes is definitely a positive for me. I do agree that map design so far does seem to encourage wall running less than the first game.

Anyway, can't wait for the tech test.

I really like the slowly building music that pops up at points throughout the footage. Lends the gameplay a heightened sense of drama. Even the level up clip sounds very unique.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Whelp. No AI in multiplayer just killed my hype.

Looks like Titanfall 1 won't be obsolete as I was hoping.

At what point does Respawn reevaluate what they've done to Titans by removing a rechargeable shield? 1 v 2's were totally feasible before, but now? Fat chance.

MrNelson

Banned
Removing AI bots in most modes is definitely a positive for me. I do agree that map design so far does seem to encourage wall running less than the first game.

Why is this a plus? I'll never understand what people had against the bots, they made the battles seem much larger in scale rather than just having stretches of empty space and helped make Titanfall unique. I just hope the standard hardpoint and attrition modes are in with the bots included.

im_dany

So they confirmed no bots in many modes, no Titan shields, movement system is now "easier", other changes I don't really like.

I will try it but I still have a bad feeling about it. I really hope they didn't make it too easy just to appeal to a bigger audience. They should've remastered the first one with more maps, a good graphic and an offline campaign and it would've been fine.

Chris1

It is Respawn's internal codename for Titanfall 1, aka Respawn 1.
Ohh I see, thanks.
So they confirmed no bots in many modes, no Titan shields, movement system is now "easier", other changes I don't really like.

I will try it but I still have a bad feeling about it. I really hope they didn't make it too easy just to appeal to a bigger audience. They should've remastered the first one with more maps, a good graphic and an offline campaign and it would've been fine.

I agree.. not a fan of a lot of the changes. I still trust Respawn to do right by it but the changes definitely rub me the wrong way on paper.

HelloMeow

The game looks like one step forward, two steps back. Titan combat looks terrible. Titan customization is limited. No more AI in most modes. They listened to the wrong complaints.

Super disappointed

First no PC beta, now it sounds like they went back on many of the features that were special in the first game. This seems like they just want another dumbed down COD clone

I was hyped for this (love TF1 - one of my favourite games of recent times) but the more I see of this the more I'm disappointed.

Removal of grunts makes the game feel a lot more empty, whilst the removal of titan shields makes the turnover of Titans a lot more frequent - I liked the relationship you had with your titan in the first game and that you could go an entire game with the same titan. No way you can accomplish that this time round

Also, I know it's a small thing, but changing to 3rd person when entering a titan really takes you out of the moment. I loved having a titan grab me and throw me into the cockpit in the first game, but seeing myself enter in 3rd person just feels... wrong.

Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing

mocoworm

Titanfall is the bext FPS I have played. This looks to expand and improve upon it in many ways. The videos look awesome, especially the new battery stealing and grappling hook.

I will put hundreds of hours into this. I just know it.

Tabby

This looks great and I'll be there day one but is it just me or does calling in a Titan not look as satisfying?

Wait so they removed AI grunts/robo boys outside of a single game mode? Well looks like I'll be playing that mode then. It's a great alternative method to getting points for your team. I know it was fun for friends who aren't as strong of players.

Also slower titans is a nono.

Seems like they went with the approach of adding everything they could without thinking much about what made titanfall 1 unique, no AI soldiers and dumbing down mech combat makes this a pass for me.

I also have no trust in the pc version being active after launch.

ps3ud0

As someone who wasnt able to play the first game but watched plenty of the alpha/beta footage - TF2 from what Ive seen feels like COD aping TF.

Not sure the grapple does anything fundamental to improve the game and some of the other changes just dont seem that thought out (easier wall running, third person cutscenes, reduction of AI, unique titans etc)

Id love to hear what its running on and how well it runs as that was a major issue with the first

ps3ud0 8)

Tinúviel

There are Youtubers who does not aim at all and there are those who play this like it's a CoD or BF.Is there any real expert TF Youtuber who has a gameplay vid?

Overall what I don't like:

Limited Titan options, basically there will be only six Titan weapons at launch and we don't know whether there will be boosts applying to them;

Speaking of boosts, aren't they single use killstreaks? Don't like that idea at all.

Dumbed down Titan combat, shields need to return, thrusters need to return, I can live with the new rodeo system though.

Removal of minions in some core modes apparently, they are by definition one of the aspects that made Titanfall unique and should stay as a core part of the game. No they are not "BOTS", they are AI minions and are part of the map flow of the original Titanfall. A Titanfall without them is like Dota 2 without the minions because they literally serve the same purpose.

Removal of minions in some core modes apparently, they are by definition one of the aspects that made Titanfall unique and should stay as a core part of the game. No they are not "BOTS", they are AI minions and are part of the map flow of the original Titanfall. A Titanfall without them is like Dota 2 without the minions because they literally serve the same purpose.

This is correct and it's a shame that enough people out there didn't see it like that, complained and now they are removed from most game modes.

The AI were there for small pools of points and to help your titanfall cooldown, they also helped make the battles feel like a war and if you watched them do their thing, they moved like a regular army marine and did some cool stuff, they would even attempt to hack consoles while their mates cover them.

After watching more gameplay, sometimes it looks like CoD instead of titanfall.

Also don't know how I feel about the classes this time around both for pilots and Titans.

Also, I hope they bring back attrition.

Also I hope Frontier Defense returns with more variation. Considering Bounty Hunt literally uses the wave based mechanic of Frontier Defense I'm optimistic.

EL CUCO

Judging by some of the complaints in this thread, its a good thing I didn't play TF1 because this footage looked great to me. Day one

Chris1

This is correct and it's a shame that enough people out there didn't see it like that, complained and now they are removed from most game modes.

The AI were there for small pools of points and to help your titanfall cooldown, they also helped make the battles feel like a war and if you watched them do their thing, they moved like a regular army marine and did some cool stuff, they would even attempt to hack consoles while their mates cover them.

Plus something I don't think they get enough credit for, they helped discourage people from camping.

Jinaar

I doubt there is much to worry about about the dumbing down parts of TF2. If making movement easier, there will always be a subset of elite players that can take that and do amazing things with it, still putting themselves into a higher skill tier then the normals :)

Slower titans, if balanced properly with health/armor, could bring to more chess match like confrontations. From watching the video, I don't have much else to comment on.

The GUI is colorful, I think there is a tad too much going on there with how many icons are flashing at any given time. Especially when you kill someone. That giant circle icon that comes out of where you killed the opponent is sort of too much. I can almost see why they have it, so you know 100% that that enemy is indeed dead, because at times, small text that could pop out could be lost in the anarchy onscreen. This is a dead give away that you won the day.

Really looking forward to this game regardless. I Gen'ed 10 like an absolute drone/addict. I'm pretty confident in what Respawn are planning for us here.

Tabby

Wait what? That's a huge deal breaker for me. Minions is what made Titanfall Titanfall other than the mechs and movement.

I'm not sure about this anymore.

Wait what? That's a huge deal breaker for me. Minions is what made Titanfall Titanfall other than the mechs and movement.

I'm not sure about this anymore.

Out of the three modes announced, only Bounty Hunt has minions, and that's because it is a PvE/PvP hybrid mode ala Halo Reach's Versus Firefight. Pilot vs Pilot is obviouly without minions and the new Amped Hardpoint mode does not have them either.

NDPsycho

Why is this a plus? I'll never understand what people had against the bots, they made the battles seem much larger in scale rather than just having stretches of empty space and helped make Titanfall unique. I just hope the standard hardpoint and attrition modes are in with the bots included.

I agree with you. I fail to see how removing some of the things that made TF unique and not just another COD is a good thing.

jeffc919

Not sure why people are saying they removed minions. Are you assuming this just based on the modes announced for the demo? Unless I am missing something I would expect that Attrition and some of the other modes will return in the full game with minions. Attrition was the most popular mode by far and the only one that is still well populated in TF1 on xbox one. I doubt they would take that game type away or change it drastically.

SwolBro

Banned
Never quite understood why the bots got so much flak.
Because during launch it was such a new thing for most people that they didn't know what to do. they felt the maps were too big, bots were the only thing they could find to shoot at, etc. The people that stuck with the game know the bots are there for other purposes, and adds to the game, it doesn't take away.

That boost looks cheap as... People complain about the Spartan charge in halo 5, this looks waaaay worse!
this is stim dude. it's in titanfall, and it's in titanfall 2. nothing bad about it. it's the most used ability in the game.

Well I don't agree with that, compared to other fps the time to find another player was longer because of map size and low player count that needed to fit titans and bots into them. Yes you run faster and can wallrun and boost everywhere but it was still 6v6 on a big map.
you agreeing with it or not doesn't make a difference. the maps were big by scale but small considering how fast you can traverse the landscape. some maps were actually too small for 6v6. tournies and private matches in Titanfall are played 3v3 and 4v4. Never 6v6.

it's a positive for you? did you play 8v8 pilot skirmish in the original TItanfall? no one played it after the first week. it became a sniper camp fest. this isn't COD, this is Titanfall, and it's about being able to move around the map without sticking out too much.

Went back to play R1. The netcode really went to shit didn't it?
Yes it did lol. i think they don't spin up enough servers, and they have to match people from all over the place to get a quality game going.

Anyways, i'm hoping the modes they're showing or pushign are just the ones to get people that aren't used to titanfall engaged in the game. Most modes should have the a.i in it. They better know what they're doing with this.

At the end of the day all that matters is CTF. It's where titanfall truly shines. On that note it's utterly sickening that they didn't include this playlist in the game knowing everyone that stuck with the game and are remotely decent play either CTF or LTS.

At what point does Respawn reevaluate what they've done to Titans by removing a rechargeable shield? 1 v 2's were totally feasible before, but now? Fat chance.

Seriously. That's one of the things that makes fights so dynamic in Halo as well. Removing that seems like a real dumb move.

spannicus

Dont screw up a good thing Respawn. If anything remove that shitty smart pistol is all. Worse fucking gun in a game ever next to the shotgun.

SwolBro

Banned
Dont screw up a good thing Respawn. If anything remove that shitty smart pistol is all. Worse fucking gun in a game ever next to the shotgun.

yet they brought it back and screwed with things that weren't broken like everything to do with titan combat lol.

saturday is either going to be a time everyone relaxes and says "ok Respawn knows what they're doing" or it's going to be an utter bloodbath.

Yea, agreed. Granted I only watched the JackFrags video but it seems like there is a lot of elitism in here that there is only one right way to play the game and that is constantly moving and using the parkour movement to maximum effect. I think for most players, unless you are extremely skilled at the game, you're actually better off playing a little more conservatively and taking advantage of all the other players running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I mean, that is if you are playing to win, playing to get more kills than deaths, etc. I got into TF1 over 2 years after it came out because I only had a PS4 for quite a while, expecting to get my ass handed to me by diehards who had been playing since launch and knew the ins and outs of every map. So I played cautiously and was pleasantly surprised how well I did almost right away. I'm a decent / pretty good FPS player but far from great. I'll usually wind up with a 1.5 - 2.5 K/D in most FPS games. And then I pick up this game 2 years late and after a few months I'm sitting on a 3.3 (against players, not players + grunts) and winning a lot more games than I lose. I'm using the wall running, etc. when I think I can use it to my advantage, not just for the sake of doing it because I can. I pick my spots and try not to be exposed as a pilot where I'm an easy kill for a titan. As a titan I try to avoid being outnumbered and even try to avoid the fair fights. I want more than 1 kill when I get my titan and a fair fight is likely to leave me, at best, heavily damaged for the next encounter. So I'd rather ambush an unsuspecting titan, or gang up on an outnumbered titan, or even better go on a rampage killing pilots. Again, I'm not an amazing player but I usually finish in the top 3 or so and get MVP maybe 1 out of 6 games. Anyway, if you are truly great at the game, maybe the frantic always moving approach works and you absolutely dominate that way. For the not as amazing player, I'd give dialing it down a notch a try, especially if you find yourself getting frustrated by the game.

It may come off as elitism, but if you aren't wall running and bunny hopping it is a completely different game. It really opens up and becomes a much more fun game when you do those things consistently. You can still have plenty of map awareness while flying around.

nZJhrxR.gif

Definitely remains my number 1 concern.

That's the first time I have actually seen someone wall run on this game. What video did that come from.?

Tokubetsu

Yeah not liking the sound and look of some of these changes, particularly Titan combat but I'll reserve full judgement until after the Tech test. I double dipped on TF1 (pc & x1) and did multiple regens on both systems. I'm disheartened they seem to want to decrease titan up time.

Top Bottom