• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall on PC will have controller aim assist

Leb

Well, I mean... controller users will still get annihilated by KB+M users unless the aim assist is particularly strong... and this is the PC, there'll be autoaim hacks available in any event.

So, I mean, auto-aim is shameful and you should be ashamed to use it, but it's not really that big of a deal.

MaLDo

They need to have separate servers, then.

Crytek tried this with Crysis 2 and quickly patched it out due to community feedback.

Fixed

They need to adjust aim assist carefully, then.

Crytek tried this with Crysis 2 and quickly patched it out due to a stupid implementation (you can plug a controller and use aimassist in your mouse).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Well, I mean... controller users will still get annihilated by KB+M users unless the aim assist is particularly strong... and this is the PC, there'll be autoaim hacks available in any event.

this is probably true, controller only matches would be a great option to have.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
GTAV was actually the first time I ran into the whole "aim assist" mechanic since I haven't played many recent FPS games with controllers. It was quite an eye-opener - I had been surprised so many people were into console FPS with controllers considering the precision problems, but the whole aim assist thing cleared that up. I see it's starting to work its way into some mouse-based games too, now that I know what to look for.

I think KB+M still wins in an environment that has both, but it'll certainly help the controller users.

Ogimachi

Surely strange times we live in. Competitive shooters used to be about skill, at least on PC. I know aim assist on consoles is a very old feature, but it was made to compensate the fact that the only input method is lacking in precision. Guerilla Games has been praised for removing aim assist in Killzone: SF, a console FPS, because they wanted it to be skill based and they belive the DS4 is good enough.
Still, a lot of people are saying devs should add auto aim on PC, some are even ok with segregating input methods by servers. Why not servers for people with flight joysticks? Servers for those who run at 60FPS and others for people running at 30, servers for those with 7.1 surround sound, servers for people running at resolutions above 1080p, servers for people with all of the above.. why the hell not, then?

I'll never understand how something that takes a part of skill out of the equation can be seen as a positive feature, but most of the reactions on this thread have been positive, so perhaps I'm just another elitist struggling with the general decay in gaming.

Aurongel

I understand that they're trying to level the playing field across the board and I appreciate the effort but I can see this being exploited by the KBM crowd somehow and leading to a wider gap between player skill.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm all for options, but I would hate to have someone on my team using a pad. With the somewhat small player counts, the contributions of each individual player are going to matter significantly and this just encourages more players to hamstring themselves.

Draft

Isn't it common for PC games with Xbox pad support to include aim assist when using that pad?

It's not like an aim assisted pad is more precice than mouse/kb. Aim assist doesn't offer a competitive advantage.

I freely admit I'll be playing it on PC with my 360 pad (as I'm a living room PC gamer), but I really hope there is an option to force this off server side - so server owners can force all players to have no aim assist at all (regardless of input).

Pretty much.

Afro

I'll never understand how something that takes a part of skill out of the equation can be seen as a positive feature, but most of the reactions on this thread have been positive, so perhaps I'm just another elitist struggling with the general decay in gaming.

Halo 2 had insane aim assist/bullet magnetism and a huge skill gap.

I played Bops2 on PC with a controller and had a great time despite no aim assist. I still get rocked a lot of the time but it's not terrible. AA should even the playing field a little bit.

I would never use a controller for something like CS or Quake, but Halo and CoD are designed perfectly for controllers and I feel control awkwardly on KBM.

To people complaining, If the KBM is as naturally superior as you claim, you should still have no problem trumping those who choose a controller, right?

BibiMaghoo

I think that is fair, those using a mouse will still have an advantage, assuming the aim assist does not hold a lock when the person moves. If it handles it like BF4, then you will still have to manually track as a target moves, which can make aim assist a burden, rather than assistance, as jumping ahead to the point a target will move to is much harder.

Deadbeat

Banned
To people complaining, If the KBM is as naturally superior as you claim, you should still have no problem trumping those who choose a controller, right?
Unless they pull a shadowrun and gimp PC players, or its like Crysis 2 where people were using the controller autoaim while still using a mouse, or they really amp up the autoaim for controllers themselves.

Kurdel

Banned
Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00140137808931762

Well yeah, obviously on paper you can objectively prove that joysticks are a less effective input method than KB/M.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's only about personal preference in regards of ergonomics. I will always prioritize gamepad because my hands feel more relaxed.

Leb

This doesn't really help me if half of my team are using pads and all of the enemy team is using kb/m.

Depending on how ubiquitous it becomes, this could become the new "split-screen scrubs" of PC gaming.

Just as it was back on the consoles, nobody wants split-screeners on their team and we may see a similar phenomenon with controller users on PC, especially given how small the teams are.

quaide

Banned
This is a good thing. I would like to see more developers do this. I'd like to see PC gaming transition to the living room. I'd rather experience games on a large screen with surround sound, and nice comfy couch.

Amir0x

Banned
Isn't it common for PC games with Xbox pad support to include aim assist when using that pad?

It's not like an aim assisted pad is more precice than mouse/kb. Aim assist doesn't offer a competitive advantage.

Depending on how much it compensates, it could in theory offer a competitive advantage. I doubt it would offer enough compensation to do that, but I think people are more concerned with another issue I'll mention below (that'll it'll make it very easy to patch it so KB&M players also have aim assist, which would be disastrous)

Not sure why you act like it's an unsubstantiated claim. People have tested the theory before, KB&M players always end up having a considerable advantage. There's just no comparison.

I think people are a little concerned someone will patch auto assist for KB&M players as well, which would massively disadvantage those who are not cheating.

Additionally, just because KB&M is inherently and factually superior for high level players, doesn't mean something couldn't be done to offset the balance. For example, if the auto assist on the aim was too over the top, it might compensate for the controllers failings too well, which is unfair in of itself. So your assertion that people should have no problem if they think KB&M is superior (and it is, tests done by many different developers have borne this out) is not classically correct since it wouldn't be native controllers versus native KB&M. It'd be native KB&M vs. heavy auto assist controllers.

MaLDo

Surely strange times we live in. Competitive shooters used to be about skill, at least on PC. I know aim assist on consoles is a very old feature, but it was made to compensate the fact that the only input method is lacking in precision. Guerilla Games has been praised for removing aim assist in Killzone: SF, a console FPS, because they wanted it to be skill based and they belive the DS4 is good enough.
Still, a lot of people are saying devs should add auto aim on PC, some are even ok with segregating input methods by servers. Why not servers for people with flight joysticks? Servers for those who run at 60FPS and others for people running at 30, servers for those with 7.1 surround sound, servers for people running at resolutions above 1080p, servers for people with all of the above.. why the hell not, then?

Shadowfall can be possible without aimassist because every player have the same input method.

PC gaming had been always based on options and possibilities. Controller/comfy/TV players are raising every year and PC gaming must offer a place where they can play. Aim assist is a must when controllers play against mouses. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Duke Nukem 3D had aimassist in PC playing with keyboard a few decades ago. Same for Doom. What do you think about that?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm glad they're doing this, I'm seriously going to be placing my preorder because of this news. Have separate and mixed servers. The more options the better.

jblank83

Well yeah, obviously on paper you can objectively prove that joysticks are a less effective input method than KB/M.

I can't speak for others, but for me it's only about personal preference in regards of ergonomics. I will always prioritize gamepad because my hands feel more relaxed.

There is nothing wrong with the ergonomics of a keyboard and mouse, assuming you have a good keyboard and mouse, chair and desk. And that's no more a tall ask than having a good (expensive) couch.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Not on PC. It can completely break the experience. Crysis 2 launched with auto-aim and it was like playing with hacks.

Agreed with this and we had a few games back in the C2 demo where this actually was rampant.

Not touching this game with a ten foot pole if this kind of crap is there. Assist in mp based shooters do not belong or allow us to filter users with that garbage out.

RulkezX

Not for the MP aspect, no.

Good. I want to play on my couch and still be competitive.
What does that have to do with anything? Might as well enable aim assist for KB/M users, for times when I'm watching a movie on my second screen and can't concentrate properly

Don't get the use of aim assists in MP at all, it's stupid even on consoles

I'm gonna play this with a kb/m even though I haven't gamed on PC since since half life 2. I'm sure it'll come back to me real quick. Wondering what the minimum specs are though. I hear a lot about the source engine running on everything but COD ghosts is source engine as well and that's a demanding game

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have any of you KB/M users even tried using a controller-based aim assist enabled on KB/M?

It's fucking terrible, and is pretty much unusable. It removes all the precision from your mouse and makes your crosshair stick on any enemies. Not on their heads or bodies, just near them. Then your mouse sensitivity drops to like 1/4 then it jumps up again when you move your crosshair away.

RulkezX

Not for the MP aspect, no.

I'm gonna play this with a kb/m even though I haven't gamed on PC since since half life 2. I'm sure it'll come back to me real quick. Wondering what the minimum specs are though. I hear a lot about the source engine running on everything but COD ghosts is source engine as well and that's a demanding game

COD runs on a modified quake 3 engine, not source, (rendering wise it is barely recognizable at this point probably.

TGMIII

Duke Nukem 3D had aimassist in PC playing with keyboard a few decades ago. Same for Doom. What do you think about that?

Duke 3D and doom didn't have mouselook when they released, aim assist was needed to hit enemies on higher levels. Not a great comparison.

The only issue that could come from this is the same one that affected Crysis 2 where you could gain the aim assist using a mouse. If respawn have a fool proof system to avoid that then there will be no issue but I'll believe it when I see it.

No community servers is the bigger issue.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
As I said... Nice. This will push me over the edge. Maybe segregating KBM and Controller users will be bad for the overall community, but as a controller player I dont care. Just let me play with whatever input method I want, and if the aim assist is good so I can at least be decent for my team then by all means yeah.

KJRS_1993

This is really good news. I don't like Keyboard + Mouse personally, and I was put off from buying this game on PC because it'd be ridiculously unfair against users who prefer a game pad. I'm not willing / able to afford to buy an Xbox One just for this game either.

With that being said, they should somehow invent KB/M only servers and Controller only servers. It would keep a level playing field for everybody. I'd definitely consider picking the game up then.

DocSeuss

Unless we get Unreal-style auto-aim for mice to compensate for cheating...

835.gif

Though, I suppose if I was using a controller without autoaim, I might actually miss shooting my face.

This is really good news. I don't like Keyboard + Mouse personally, and I was put off from buying this game on PC because it'd be ridiculously unfair against users who prefer a game pad. I'm not willing / able to afford to buy an Xbox One just for this game either.

With that being said, they should somehow invent KB/M only servers and Controller only servers. It would keep a level playing field for everybody. I'd definitely consider picking the game up then.

It's not unfair against people who choose to use an inferior method of control input. Letting them cheat isn't cool.

Top Bottom