• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PS3 and PS4 mention in PC texture files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiminycracken

Banned
Jan 9, 2014
They chose Source because it ran well on the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if there are PS3/4 prototypes they still have that run.

DrGonzo615

Banned
Aug 23, 2013
Not surprised at all. I fully expect Titanfall to be a timed exclusive at best. But honestly, after all that Ive heard about the player count and the bots, Ive kinda lost interested in the game all together.

Mung

Aug 21, 2010
Don't be sad. You'll probably get the sequel. Doubt MS will manage to moneyhat the entire franchise, especially with ps4 sales as they are.

Freki

Feb 26, 2007
Funding a game that otherwise wouldn't be made and making it exclusive e.g. B2 is fine.
Paying money to prevent others from playing a game isn't... but that's just my 2 cents...

Nerfgun

Jan 22, 2010
Toronto
This is not too big a deal.

Many of these engines spit out standard profiles for all platforms they support, even if they are commented out later or whatever

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
I think those PS40 things are actually Pixel Shader 4.0 references.

The PS3 reference is unmistakable though.

But yeah, sure, I imagine there was a PS3 SKU in the mix at some point.

calder

Jun 9, 2004
Winnipeg
I wonder how awful the PS3 version would have been. It's not exactly a technically stunning game at all, but I'd bet the PS3 would get sub 720 and frequent drops below 60, not just during Titan fights.

jiminycracken

Banned
Jan 9, 2014
Not surprised at all. I fully expect Titanfall to be a timed exclusive at best. But honestly, after all that Ive heard about the player count and the bots, Ive kinda lost interested in the game all together.
It's a full exclusive, at least for the first game.

ekim

May 2, 2012
I only see a PS3 and a PS40 where the latter probably is just coincidence.

RE_Player

Apr 1, 2013
What a dumb move on EA's part to allow Microsoft to lock it down. Third party exclusives are so stupid nowadays. When you want to establish a brand for the coming years launch on every strong platform possible!

Activision is smart and only does content deals, be it timed exclusive Call of Duty maps on Xbox or upcoming exclusive Destiny content for Playstation. That's why they are number one and EA will always be below them.

GavinGT

Banned
Jan 26, 2007
It's no secret that Respawn originally set out to make a 360/PS3 game. That's why they chose Source, in fact.

pokeystaples

Banned
Aug 21, 2013

Texhex

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
You shouldn't expect it at all.
As we've guessed before, Titanfall was only ~1 year exclusive for Xbox (see CBOAT).
So PS3/PS4 being mentioned in the code makes sense.
Then, MS made a new deal with EA.
Now it's exclusive forever.

If you want Titanfall on your PS4, you have to wait for Titanfall 2.

plasmawave

Aug 28, 2013
Don't worry, Titanfall PS4 edition will come out and it will be exclusive to the PS4.

Please be excited.

Mesoian

Mar 23, 2012
The People's Republic of Cambridge
What a dumb move on EA's part to allow Microsoft to lock it down. Third party exclusives are so stupid nowadays. When you want to establish a brand for the coming years launch on every strong platform possible!

Activision is smart and only does content deals, be it timed exclusive Call of Duty maps on Xbox or upcoming exclusive Destiny content for Playstation. That's why they are number one and EA will always be below them.
Oh I bet the price tag made it a pretty smart move.

Finalizer

Jul 6, 2013
I think those PS40 things are actually Pixel Shader 4.0 references.
But yeah, the PS3 bits are unmistakable, and IIRC the Respawn guys said part of the reason they went with Source in the first place was that it was proven to play nice with the PS3 through Portal 2, so it's not surprising to see that they'd probably delved at least a decent bit into development in that area before full exclusivity made that irrelevant.

Jinoru

Banned
Jan 3, 2014
Sad day. Titanfall 2 will just have to come soon then. Or EA will have to change their agreement, since PS4 is thromping XBone.

Sephzilla

Feb 13, 2013
Considering the game is published by EA and the PS4 is thumping XB1 in sales, I'm still not sold that Titanfall stays locked to the Xbox. EA will chase that money.

RE_Player

Apr 1, 2013
Oh I bet the price tag made it a pretty smart move.
Short term gain vs long term brand awareness/momentum. Sure they get a nice cheque but I bet they are constantly looking at the PS4 sales and seeing if it was worth it the end.

Paracelsus

Jun 24, 2007
If things go like they always do (coincidence), TF2 will be a mediocre-to-just-bad game.

OneUh8

Dec 7, 2013
Florida
No problem. I will wait for TF2. Which should no doubt be an improvement over the first iteration. 1080p/60 to be exact ;)

Aug 17, 2011
Remnants of early development? Particularly considering references to "Durango". This will most likely be a Mass Effect 1 case, we'll be seeing the sequel on PS4. It's hard to believe Microsoft could moneyhat as much as it'd sell on the more popular platform.

UnluckyKate

Jan 15, 2008
Yeah it is usual to find multiplatform extension in game files as they are from engine or assets usually design around multiplats

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
Considering the game is published by EA and the PS4 is thumping XB1 in sales, I'm still not sold that Titanfall stays locked to the Xbox. EA will chase that money.
Titanfall will be an ongoing franchise. EA will simply move on to TitanFall 2 on everything and the first Titanfall will be deprecated, so to speak. Titanfall 1 being 'locked' to Xbox won't matter at that point to them or the franchise (as long as the first is successful etc. etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.