• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall reach 7 million unique players. [Updated]

From what I've seen, the dlc and the game usually go on sale every few weeks. So between black friday and xmas there should be a chance of the dlc going on sale.

Imo it's well worth the money. I love the maps especially wargames.

bet. now that I'm semi back into the game, I'll be on the lookout for it. $10 is my max.

If you sell a AAA game for $20 something bucks instead of the $50-$60 range, is it still successful?

yes, obviously.

3k players after 6 months seems pretty reasonable, especially when you factor in the obscene amount of competition with Garden Warfare, CoD, FIFA, MCC (when it works), Sunset, etc.

Not amazing, but it's not particularly bad either.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I still can't get into a pvp game that has AI. The majority of the time I'm shooting AI...that bores me to death.

It's not competitive and it's not fun.

Jito

Banned
I still can't get into a pvp game that has AI. The majority of the time I'm shooting AI...that bores me to death.

It's not competitive and it's not fun.

You learn to avoid and ignore the AI after a couple of matches / learning to play the game properly. Guess you didn't give it enough of a go and were still at scrub level when you quit.

Such a great game. I'm glad that I can rely on it until Halo is finally fixed, but even then I will happily return. The core gameplay (especially the parkour but also dashing around in a Titan) is fantastic, and that's the most important thing. It's a great foundation for a Titanfall 2, but for now the original is keeping me very happy.

RBK

Banned
Some of you guys are really determined to brand Titanfall as a flop. I wonder why that is.

pAlsZS4e.png

RP912

Banned
What about active players? I hear the game is dead

The game is far from dead. There's plenty of people that still play the game. Sure the population is not doing COD numbers but there's still dedicated players.

The most I've waited on a mp session is 20 seconds and this is on pc.

Rourkey

Deserved! My go to game for a quick blast, cant imagine any game being better to scratch that itch!

Just wish they hadnt teased us with that resolution upgrade promise that never materilised

Doukou

You'd think they would've came out and said that was the reason why its exclusive and not because they're a small team while hinting a possible PS4 release in the future.

They did
http://finalhoursoftitanfall.com/
Watch and learn

At a certain point, Respawn (Zampella and West at this point) explained to EA’s John Riccitiello that they had run out of funding. They had just enough staff to bring the game to Xbox One and PC, and even then they had to delay the game and cut single player. EA did the work of shuffling around for funding, and finally found it in Microsoft. As a result, Titanfall became a Microsoft exclusive.

You'd think they would've came out and said that was the reason why its exclusive and not because they're a small team while hinting a possible PS4 release in the future.

The Final Hours of TF makes it pretty clear that MS paid for development due to EA getting cold feet over the project.

Or do you believe that was a fabrication to cover up them being money hatted?

They did
http://finalhoursoftitanfall.com/
Watch and learn

At a certain point, Respawn (Zampella and West at this point) explained to EA’s John Riccitiello that they had run out of funding. They had just enough staff to bring the game to Xbox One and PC, and even then they had to delay the game and cut single player. EA did the work of shuffling around for funding, and finally found it in Microsoft. As a result, Titanfall became a Microsoft exclusive.

So you're saying it was money hatted?

The mental gymnastics some people will go through to stamp FAILURE on Titanfall is a testament to the human will!

The lack of numbers from EA probably isn't helping matters.

David___

Banned
The Final Hours of TF makes it pretty clear that MS paid for development due to EA getting cold feet over the project.

And yet, they never ruled out a PS4 version

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-come-to-playstation-respawn-and-ea-weigh-in

Let's put it plainly: will PlayStation owners ever see Titanfall?

"It's definitely not out of the question," Emslie replied. "We have a huge appreciation for the fans. Coming out and showing it to everybody, we're super nervous and wanted to make sure everybody loved it. We love all our fans, whatever console they support.

Until EA conveniently said no one month before the console launch, a whole 4 months after the fact.

I'm not saying MS didn't fund the game. I'm saying that obviously isn't the reason why it was fully exclusive.

I'm not saying MS didn't fund the game. I'm saying that obviously isn't the reason why it was fully exclusive.

I'm not sure I follow you. You're agreeing that MS funded the game, but you're also saying that's obviously not the reason it's exclusive?

What is the reason then?

I'd also ask, if you agree that MS funded the game, wouldn't you also agree that means it's essentially no different than Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2?

BokehKing

Banned
Give it a rest man.

To answer your question... Yes, Assassin's Creed certainly does.
Why give it a rest?
If something is sold at a loss in order to push units for the majority of the year how is that good? It obviously didn't help the install base because all we hear is people complaining about how they can't find games.

When every other high profile game doesn't have to these tremendous price cuts just to get people to purchase the game?

Doukou

And yet, they never ruled out a PS4 version

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...r-come-to-playstation-respawn-and-ea-weigh-in

Until EA conveniently said no one month before the console launch, a whole 4 months after the fact.

The developers wouldn't be in charge of that or have relations with MS regarding the deal. It says in the Video that EA handled MS so EA could have been sparse in details to Respawn. So to them it was a possibility that it could come to PS4.
This is a possibility of course but I feel it's reasonable enough to dismiss the obviously part of your post.

Also what are you suggesting that MS funded and marketed the game yet that wasn't enough and they had to moneyhat it for it to be a full exclusive. I would love to hear what you think the reasons for exclusivity for it rather than a vague statement.

Why give it a rest?
If something is sold at a loss in order to push units for the majority of the year how is that good? It obviously didn't help the install base because all we here is people complaining about how they can't find games.

When every other high profile game doesn't have to these tremendous price cuts just to get people to purchase the game?

You obviously don't pay attention if you think that's true.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/508148874783883264/pAlsZS4e.png

Got nothing to do with it for me.

Sparse content on launch. Dead playerbase on PC. Matchmaking.
Origin only but that isn't an issue for me
DLC splitting the already dead fanbase...

Flopped hard on PC. Not hard to see why.

Doukou

Why give it a rest?
If something is sold at a loss in order to push units for the majority of the year how is that good? It obviously didn't help the install base because all we here is people complaining about how they can't find games.

I always buy AC games 2 months after they come out for 30 dollars in January. AC games always drop in price pretty quickly and I imagine I can find a few other examples of high profile games that drop quickly.

Why give it a rest?
If something is sold at a loss in order to push units for the majority of the year how is that good? It obviously didn't help the install base because all we hear is people complaining about how they can't find games.

Okay. You are right. Titanfall is a massive abysmal failure.

Happy?

BokehKing

Banned
Okay. You are right. Titanfall is a massive abysmal failure.

Happy?
No, I'm not happy, because the 'legendary' edition they're coming out with now is the game they should have released originally, content wise (excluding map packs) I'm talking features and game modes.
I'm not blaming respawn, I blame Microsoft
I think MS should never have pushed the game out when they did, it was not ready.

Why give it a rest?

How is $20 sold at a loss? As long as the initial fixed costs from development are covered from the initial purchases at $60 which were much more than a million then everything else is great.

Its not like every digital download costs them $20 in production costs. AC:BF is being given away for free right now.

Great job Respawn!

I sure, COD Ghosts was similarly priced super low last year, but that game was horrendous, every other COD before that didn't slashed in half prices

Ah, so you were only comparing it to CoD price cuts? Your post made it sound like you were claiming no other high profile games slash their price within a few weeks of launch, which is pretty much false.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The sodium levels being still this high 8 months later simply speak to how good this game is.

3000 players at peak on Xbox One alone 8 months later with all the online competition is pretty good. Especially when you consider how they were fragmenting the player base for so long.

DLC should really just be free at this point. For those who bought? Eh, unlock all our achievements :)

Why give it a rest?

Bye Felicia.

Kill3r7

Why give it a rest?
If something is sold at a loss in order to push units for the majority of the year how is that good?

How was it sold at loss? You don't know that. If you believe the game is a failure, that's fine, but that's your opinion not a fact.

It obviously didn't help the install base because all we here is people complaining about how they can't find games.

People like to complain all the time about all sorts of things. There is no denying it that the game did not have the same impact as its main competitors (Destiny, COD, BF or Halo). I haven't touched the game since Destiny came out but prior to that I played it fairly often. Someone in the thread already posted that they played it on PC and it takes less than 20 seconds to find a match.

When I get home from the office I'll let you know how long it takes to find a game on X1.

I just pointed out Assassin's Creed which is a pretty massive franchise that sells at heavy discount after the first month of release. As a matter a fact, most Ubi games see significant discount after the first month of release. I highly recommend you visit CAG if you are interested in such deals.

No, I'm not happy, because the 'legendary' edition they're coming out with now is the game they should have released originally, content wise (excluding map packs) I'm talking features and game modes.
I'm not blaming respawn, I blame Microsoft
I think MS should never have pushed the game out when they did, it was not ready.

You do know...

Titanfall is not published by Microsoft

Top Bottom