• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall reach 7 million unique players. [Updated]

gthobbes

Banned
LoL at EA and their spin. A game like GTA V sold what, 32 million copies last time I checked on last gen, and Titanfall sells well south of 7 million, and they want people to believe it's some huge success? LoL

And pointing to EA's stock price? What a joke. Investors like that EA's retail sales are shrinking in favor of more digital sales. They're definitely not buying EA stock based on impressive Titanfall sales -- nobody outside of EA even knows what those are.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
LoL at EA and their spin. A game like GTA V sold what, 32 million copies last time I checked on last gen, and Titanfall sells well south of 7 million, and they want people to believe it's some huge success? LoL

Right, let's compare of of the biggest videogame franchises of all time to a new IP. Not to mention the difference in dev time, budget, and staff amount.

Here's what I want out of the sequel.

1) A massive Co-op campaign
2) More Titan Chassis
3) Bigger maps that will accommodate 12v12 (assuming you can maintain the same gameplay flow)
4) More game modes (Bring back the original hardpoint mode)
5) Halo 2 like ranking system/matchmaking
6) Improved graphics
7) More weapon variety.

This.

I would add...

8) "co-op campaign" can also be played solo and offline.
9) Offline SP campaign
10) Offline arena/practice modes with AI controlled bots.

*8 & 9 could be identical campaigns or have only certain sections that can be played SP and others played co-op.

Basically I dont always want to play against human opponents. I'd like to have a story/narrative to play through and the ability to play any of levels offline against AI bots if I so choose.

Its really a shame Titanfall was released with such a lack of content, which makes me a little bitter about what could have been. But the MP is so damn fun I still feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the game, especially having paid only $38 for it at launch.

Still, if the sequel doesn't include a campaign and some sort of working offline mode ill be waiting to buy it heavily discounted.

RBK

Banned
I will admit, I got suckered by the hype.

Never again will I buy Titanfall - at least not at release.

It's already too late for that.

Actually going to play some matches later tonight. Haven't played so much after getting the Season Pass on sale.

And pointing to EA's stock price? What a joke. Investors like that EA's retail sales are shrinking in favor of more digital sales. They're definitely not buying EA stock based on impressive Titanfall sales -- nobody outside of EA even knows what those are.

The use of LOL belies your age and lack of understanding. Titanfall was developed by a team of 50 in around a year and half from the group up. All they have to do is cover their budget at a minimum to break even. GTAV took years with a massive team and budget plus a well known franchise. They aren't even comparable

wachie

The sodium levels being still this high 8 months later simply speak to how good this game is.

3000 players at peak on Xbox One alone 8 months later with all the online competition is pretty good. Especially when you consider how they were fragmenting the player base for so long.

DLC should really just be free at this point. For those who bought? Eh, unlock all our achievements :)
lol at that stat.

Best shooter this gen so far. love it.

You should get banned

It really is an excellent game. They've done some things to enhance the MP that work really well. But on PC, at least, the population isn't big enough to play any gamemode at any time. You can play attrition, it looks like, just about any time of the day at least. And frankly it is a lot of fun and imo way better than COD on PC.

T.O.P

Banned

the #Concern is real

it's a good game, people definitely should try it if they haven't
Best multiplayer versus I've played this gen without reservation. Its pure fun from start to finish.

The core there is super solid enough to expand upon, at least in terms of moment to moment action and player roles on the battlefield.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I feel like the game is dead. I wanted to play it (I also wanted it to release on Steam) on PC but never felt that it compelled me enough. Really looking forward to Titanfall 2.

Prine

Banned

I'm low on a condiment that goes with pepper, can I borrow some?

Doukou

The only way you can be a huge success is if you are GTA V?
5 Million(Rough Guess)is impressive and can be a huge success.

Love the armchair analysts!

Clarification for those who like to assume:

Titanfall has sold well above expectations, both from to us at Respawn and at EA. I actually don't know if there's been a better new IP release at EA in terms of sales... ever?

EA doesn't release sales numbers anymore. We'd love to release them, but we're not the publisher of the game. This was the best we could do for everyone.

This does not mean 7m sold. This means 7m people have played the game. Yes, this means Destiny and probably Watch Dogs have had more more sales and players. This is not at all surprising, or worthy of shame. Everyone is so supremely proud of the game. More successful than we could have imagined. I could also point out that EA has been on a huge upswing in the market, often attributed partially to how well Titanfall has done.

Alright, thats all I can say. You can go about your normal business of assuming the worst. I've got work to do ;)

Haha NeoGAF got REKT

TTUVAPOR

Banned
You learn to avoid and ignore the AI after a couple of matches / learning to play the game properly. Guess you didn't give it enough of a go and were still at scrub level when you quit.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I play to win the game, so I shoot anything that earns me points. Farming AI gives me points much faster than seeking out pilots.

My time played with the game has NOTHING to do with the fact that the game is 6v6 on huge maps and AI are filler for the experience so that you don't feel like you're in a ghost town.

When the pilots only playlist was up and running, I played a few games of it, but it was a bore because the maps are simply too large for the total amount of players in the game.

Sorry to impede on your passion for the game, but there are people who completely dislike the game design choices they made for pvp multiplayer.

The actual gameplay mechanics are amazing, but the experience is ruined because of lackluster pvp.

88random

Nice. I enjoyed immensely, too bad there are not a lot of players on PC. I hope there will be sequel and it will go multiplatform, more people should be able to play this game.

Funny how I never expected to like this game and was hype for WD and Destiny, but beta was great, it made me buy the full game and it turned out to be my favourite new IP of this year.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Give away something for free and people will play it, yes. This is nothing new.
Not that i hate Titanfall or something, i've never played it.

Kill3r7

As promised, fired the game up for the first time in months around 8:30PM EST. There were 3483 players and it took 35 seconds to find a game of attrition.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Cool. Hopefully the sequel comes to PS4. I'd really love to play it, I've heard almost nothing but good things.

The most fun I ever had in an online game was with SOCOM in the EU which used to have beetween 1000-4000 players online.

People laugh at Titanfall for having 3000 concurrent users but its more than enough for people that enjoy the game to find and play one.

I'd pick it up in a sale now I have an Xbone, it looks like fun.

Castef

Banned
I feel like the game is dead. I wanted to play it (I also wanted it to release on Steam) on PC but never felt that it compelled me enough. Really looking forward to Titanfall 2.

Too many "feel" and "felt" in this message. :)

Footos22

There better be a single player campaign. in the sequel. Game has so much potential. I enjoyed what i played but it did get old quite quickly. got to level 50, regened and never played it again. although i did just buy the season pass for a 5er the other week,

Pretty good I'd say. I look forward to hearing more about Titanfall 2. I definitely don't think it pushed as many consoles as MS wanted but I don't think it was a bomb sales-wise at all.

Neil_J_UK

I'm glad it did well - I picked up an Xbox One 2 weeks ago with Forza, Sunset Overdrive, and Titanfall, and once I tried Titanfall the other games got dropped so fast, I couldn't put it down.

It's just a shame it's not as popular online as it used to be, but it's still very easy to find a game. The gameplay is brilliant, there is tons of stuff to do (I believe this wasn't the case at launch) and it's FUN!

I'd recommend anyone who likes FPS games to pick this up.

gthobbes

Banned
The only way you can be a huge success is if you are GTA V?
5 Million(Rough Guess)is impressive and can be a huge success.

You guess 5 million, and my guess is closer to 3 million. Which one of us is right? Neither, since we're both just guessing.

But if your guess was closer to mine, and if TF really did sell close to 5 million, my guess is that EA wouldn't be afraid of releasing that number. Since they're desperate to avoid the actual sales number getting released to the public, I'm guessing my guess is more accurate than yours.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I play to win the game, so I shoot anything that earns me points. Farming AI gives me points much faster than seeking out pilots.

My time played with the game has NOTHING to do with the fact that the game is 6v6 on huge maps and AI are filler for the experience so that you don't feel like you're in a ghost town.

When the pilots only playlist was up and running, I played a few games of it, but it was a bore because the maps are simply too large for the total amount of players in the game.

Sorry to impede on your passion for the game, but there are people who completely dislike the game design choices they made for pvp multiplayer.

The actual gameplay mechanics are amazing, but the experience is ruined because of lackluster pvp.

Maybe Pilot Hunter should be 8v8, but all of the other modes would be severely impacted by increasing player counts. Killing AI units is useful for points, but more importantly for reducing titan wait-time. They're used as a trade-off: Do I focus on the mission of the game-mode, or do I stay passive for a couple of seconds to reduce my titan time by 30. Does my team need me to speed up my titan (since theirs are ready), or should I focus on capturing/holding this point?

There is a clear game mechanic for having the AI in the game that would be completely broken if they were all replaced by (fractionally) players.

I think Titanfall is more fun than Destiny ... -ready for incoming shots-

I will be there with you. Titanfall is leagues better than Destiny. Well, they are two different games but if we compare fun for fun, Titanfall is in another planet. It's just super fun, full of action and makes you feel like a super ninja soldier.

Destiny is simply a snoozefest, to me anyway. I liked it at first then sold the game because i was totally bored by it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Competitively, TF figures probably fall quite a fair bit short of the two big new IP launches from EA's immediate competitors, Acti/Destiny and Ubi/WD.

This was always a given though. Not being on PS3/PS4 pretty much guaranteed it had no chance to match those IPs.

The other day I logged on and there was about 4k concurrent players across all playlists on XB1. Game is a ghost town and its a damn shame.

FDBMath

To me, Titanfall has been one of the best multiplayer FPS experiences I have ever played. It is fun, fast, and refreshing. I encourage everyone who plays FPS games and has an XBone to play it (particularly now that it is very inexpensive).

Portugeezer

So the "update" was basically what people were alluding to: not 7 million sold. But apparently trying to get a realistic view on the figures is assuming the worst. Thanks for the update, I didn't know EA no longer release sales figures.

leazo

Banned
The other day I logged on and there was about 4k concurrent players across all playlists on XB1. Game is a ghost town and its a damn shame.
Similar numbers on the PC platform, bit of a ghost town for a multiplayer only game in the same year it launched.

Toxi

Banned
This is satire, right?

Top Bottom